Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for November - posted on 1st Dec 2017 at 9:00 AM
Locked thread | Replies: 26 (Who?), Viewed: 35591 times. | Locked by: Numenor Reason: New tutorial: [url]http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=104795[/url]
Page 1 of 2
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Dec 2004 at 6:44 AM
Default Starter Modeling Tutorial
hi everyone,

I thought it was time to start a basic modeling tutorial using 3d studio max 5.1. There are a few Programs you will need to start off with.

3d studio max or simlar program.
Plugins for 3ds Obj2Max and Max2Obj.
Uvmapper Classic

here are the link to download the plugins, click on the verseion of 3d studio max version you currently have and then install it to you're plugin folder in 3d studio max's directory. Then upzip uvmapper to any directory and then click to use any time no installation is required.

http://www.habware.at/ente.htm Max Plugins
http://www.uvmapper.com/downloads.html Uvmapper Classic

Once you have downloaded all the tools and installed them we'll start to get work on modeling. Now lets fire up 3d studio max! Ready Set GO! :sprint:

Step 1:

First thing is first one of the simplist methods of modeling is called box modeling. We want to start off with the smallist ammout of verticals/polys as possible. It's always better to start of smaller ammounts and work our way up adding verticals and polys along the process with cut and slice tools. We will cover these methods of modeling in this tutorial.

First thing first we need to create a box and now how to do that is very easy, go to create > standard primitives > box Then move to the left/Right view area and move you're mouse over until the cross hairs change and left click once to change views.

Step 2:

Create you're box as you're watching all the views to make sure the shape is ok. :coffee: Now look at the right side of you're screen Make sure that the box's length, width, and height segs are all at 1. Look at the image if you get lost.

Step 3: now we created our low poly box, you're doing great Now we are going to start to edit this low poly box. Now Right click on the box to bring up a menu. in the menu click in transform > convert to: > Convert to editable Poly.

To be continued..... :bigwave:
Screenshots
1 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 20th Dec 2004 at 8:14 AM Last edited by Seraphira : 20th Dec 2004 at 8:46 AM.
Default Starter Modeling Part 2
Hey guys we're back at it! :hide:

Now to recap we converted the model to editable poly Now we can play with the box model any way we wish!

Step 4:

Now click on the right side panel where there's three points "Vertex". Now you will see blue dots on each corner of the box model. now we can move those points.

Step 5:

on close to the top where the menu is there should be icon of crosshairs with arrows at the ends "select and move" click that and now you can move and shape you're model with. Now move the vertex until you get this shape. you can change views as shown before in step 1 or click and drag over the colors in that view port.

To be continued Tommrow... :bigwave:
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Dec 2004 at 11:59 AM
Back yet again,

sorry it took me a while to get back to you guys with x-mas it's been really nuts around here. But anyway lets get started! :howdy: :bump:

Step 6:

Once you have the basic table top shape the next thing to do is change views to presective view as in step one of this tutorial. Now on the right side pannel where "selection" is and click on red square shaped icon "polygon". Now then in the bottom right side click on the icon that looks like a sqaure with a circle in the middle "arc rotate". Once you actived this you should see a circle with 4 small squares with X's inside them. This tool allows you to move the camra at any angel which will help us model. Now use the arc rotate to rotate the camra left until u see the other side of the table.

Step 7:

Ok next thing we need to do is click on "Move and select" Crosshairs with arrows as in the previous step 5. Now the side of the table like so "view Image "tutorial012.jpg" for further referance. When it's red hit the delete Key on the keyboard.

Step 8: Ok now change you're viewport to front, and now goto the top where you found the "move and Select Icon". you should see an icon that has two odd shapes mirrored eachother which is called Mirror selected objects. Now click on that and a new window will pop up. Now in the clone selection change it to referance option and click ok. We don't need to play with the axis since we changed our view ports to front view.

Now we have two halfs of our table. Now once we start editing this model more you will noticed the other have doing the same things has the orginal side does as we edit it. Please note that the mirrored side we created has can't be joined with the existing half as it's for referance only. Later on we'll use the same method to clone the other half once we finished the model.

to be continued folks so keep ur 3ds max or other 3d program running. :wave:
Screenshots
Test Subject
#4 Old 28th Dec 2004 at 11:33 PM
we keep our 3ds programs running... but where is next part ot this tutorial?! :mag:
we CAN'T wait any more!
Banned
#5 Old 29th Dec 2004 at 7:42 AM
there's an easier way just import 3ds file in your get from the net, texture and save.
#7 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 4:37 AM
I cant get the plugins to work, Altho I AM using gmax, but gmax is the free version of 3DSM
Test Subject
#8 Old 6th Jan 2005 at 12:45 AM
Gmax is considered by Discreet as a trial version. It does not have many capabilities 3DSMax has.
Alchemist
#9 Old 6th Jan 2005 at 6:29 AM
If you want to develop a model that will work in TS2, you need to apply a texture to it before you export it, so that UVs are generated. I can state based on experience that without UV data in the model, the object will not display.
I am not a modelling expert, at all. But Milkshape will generate everything needed to construct a mesh that can be made to work in the game, and only costs $25 (free for 30 days). [NOTE: I have no affiliation with the authors of the program.]
However, I haven't figured out if it will output a graphic together with your texture map showing the vertex points. You need this if you want to draw a nice texture to be used in the game (so you can draw details and such in the right places).
<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
#10 Old 7th Jan 2005 at 1:04 PM
import 3ds max object into the game sims 2.....
What should I do after creating an object under 3ds max, to import this object into the game sims 2, in fact what programm should I use ( simPE.....) and essentially HOW ?

Txs.
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#11 Old 7th Jan 2005 at 1:53 PM
hamila1980,
Mesh import programs are in the works and will be released for testing soon, but for right now you can't.

RG
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 26th Jan 2005 at 10:58 PM Last edited by dean de beste : 26th Jan 2005 at 11:06 PM.
is there an plug in for milkshape 3d? if so were can i get it?
Test Subject
#13 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 9:55 PM
I keep hearing that we can't import meshes to new objects, yet I keep seeing objects with new meshes.

So, do all these people have the 'not available' program to do this? Or did they do it all on their own?
Scholar
#14 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 3:18 PM
The tool is available here:
http://meshtool.modthesims2.com/1.htm
#15 Old 6th Jun 2005 at 10:37 PM
that doesnt work...it always says it cant find the link
Test Subject
#16 Old 12th Jun 2005 at 12:37 PM
Can you make custom Sims faces with these programs?
Test Subject
#17 Old 24th Jun 2005 at 5:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1973
Can you make custom Sims faces with these programs?

Wow...is all I can say to this incoherent question...To create Sims Faces...you use The Sims 2 Body Shop...and to create custom things such as makeup, eyeshadow...lipstick etc you use a graphics program such as Adobe Photoshop, Jasc Paint Shop Pro, etc.

<3 Becca
#18 Old 11th Jul 2005 at 3:54 PM
What about Body Types? Can we create body types using 3D Studio Max??
I started playing Sims just recently so I don't really know what to use :/
Test Subject
#19 Old 11th Jul 2005 at 9:47 PM
lol is there gonna be an end to this?
Field Researcher
#20 Old 16th Jul 2005 at 5:53 PM
No, I Don't Reckon There Will Be
Field Researcher
#21 Old 23rd Jul 2005 at 4:01 PM
lol.... Is there an end to this Starter Modeling Tutorial.... :fallen:
Test Subject
#22 Old 23rd Jul 2005 at 4:10 PM
Were's is the End?????????? :banghead:
Field Researcher
#23 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 4:06 PM
Still waiting :fallen:.... :devil: :devil2: :flamer:
Test Subject
#24 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 9:42 PM
after i download the two files where do i install them to
Field Researcher
#25 Old 25th Jul 2005 at 5:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocholady90009
after i download the two files where do i install them to

I think your never will find out, :fallen: I'm still waiting too.... :devil: :devil2: :flamer:
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2