Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Mar 2008 at 1:48 AM
Default What novels have you written?
So I was just wondering if anyone had experimented with the new novel writing options. Did you put some thought into the storyline or description? Personally, I think they're great. I wrote two stories, one of which I lost somehow. I don't remember the first, but my second story went like this--->astronaut; rocket; bomb; city; astronaut. The story was supposed to be about an astronaut who went on a mission and while he was gone the whole world was destroyed by a bomb and he was left alone. Anyways, anyone else experiment with novels?
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 24th Mar 2008 at 1:54 AM
Yeah, I have experimented with the novel writing but there doesn't seem to be much space to allow actual sensible stuff so I made my sim write a novel about how a detective played tennis and then went to a city by boat and discovered that a nuclear missile was being sent it's way. The missile turns out to be a dud and the detective finds the villain in a warehouse who made the missile and when he kicked him he somehow got sent flying like in a cartoon and he said "You'll pay for this!" I wanted to make it longer but I couldn't fit anymore.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 24th Mar 2008 at 2:41 AM
I thought this was asking about print novels and I was all excited... But I ahven't played around much, because my sims lead far too busy lives to write novels.

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Test Subject
#4 Old 24th Mar 2008 at 2:56 AM
"Love in Space: An abduction. An alien. An astronaut. Love. A baby."

There's really no way to make anything sensible out of it, so I go with "bizarre" and "sim-like" when my sims have the desire to write novels.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 25th Mar 2008 at 12:33 PM
Mystic Rain: A mystery novel.
Not the most original title (I actually took the novel title from the movie Mystic River), but here's the synopsis:

Fingerprint-->Question Mark-->Rain-->City
Mad Poster
#6 Old 25th Mar 2008 at 12:43 PM
I wrote a children's book about a ladybug, an elephant, some other animal I've forgotten and a wizard. It didn't really have a description, though.
#7 Old 25th Mar 2008 at 12:54 PM
i've written the following:

Of Mice and Sim
Piece of Peace
Evolution revolution
Raising sim baby
Tinker Tank
The Art of Knowing

it's been fun. I love how you get an advance copy delivered after you've written it. my question is how can you sell these book at a sim book store with OFB?
#8 Old 25th Mar 2008 at 2:18 PM
I actually love the new novel feature! If I get around to it, I'm going to make a self-sim and make her a novelist (my ideal job). I actually think you can make ONE logical (albeit romance) novel out of it. Anyone else like the Harry Potter reference? I just had my sim write a "non-fiction" (was still a novel, but I call it non-fiction) book about the state of the world: bombs, acid rain, cities, some other stuff. I think peace was at the end though, so that counts for something, right?
Field Researcher
#9 Old 25th Mar 2008 at 4:40 PM
I love the novel writing feature too. I keep a list of titles of pending novels, because they don't often finish them the in one session. They all have silly names like Recipes From Beyond, and Sleuth of Love in my game. I wish there were more covers, and more little icons for writing the stories. Of course.

My sims gaming journal. Not very informative.
http://marjchaos.tripod.com/
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 26th Mar 2008 at 9:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Webster54
it's been fun. I love how you get an advance copy delivered after you've written it. my question is how can you sell these book at a sim book store with OFB?

You can take an infinite number of copies of the book off the bookshelf, and set a custom price for them. That's how I do it at least. There's probably a more efficient way.

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 1:48 PM
I didn't notice until yesterday that you could design your own novel, lol. Sp I've had my new favourite sim, Jason, write two.

1. Chaziza's Journey
Dog - money - airplane - ambulance - sunshine
(Successful dog on the racing tracks who earns a lot of money, but then he has an airplane accident, is rushed to the hospital, and in the end everything turns out well)

2. X-Files: Invasion
UFO - evil alien - city - baby - question mark
(A city is invaded by aliens who are evil, they produce babies - will Mulder and Scully be able to set everything straight? LOL)

Funniness.

"Euphobia- Fear of hearing good news."
Doctor: Good news - you are completely healthy!
Patient: NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! [collapses and dies of chok]

http://www.iduniq.com - your own, personal unique ID - join the wave; I'm #3013 :D
Test Subject
#12 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 11:10 AM
I haven't actually figured out HOW to write a novel...

Anyone care to explain?
Field Researcher
#13 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 9:20 PM
on the computer, same as before, only there are customization options that now appear when you make that selection.
Test Subject
#14 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 2:35 PM
I forget which of the thought bubbles I chose offhand, but I do remember making my Asylum challenge winner write a novel once she'd won the challenge and had moved out to her own place. She needed the money!

Basically, it went something like: The Asylum. One sim's harrowing account of what it was like to be institutionalized against her will, and the lifetime she spent trying to prove her sanity by fulfilling her heart's desire.

I couldn't help but go all out with that one. She had perfect sim-novel ideas already!
Instructor
#15 Old 5th Dec 2008 at 8:47 PM
I have written quite a few novels with some sims, it is usually male sims that want to write. Here are some of the titles-
The Killer wore Curlers- was a story of an elderly woman that slept walked and would kill off her neighbors.
The Day My Daughter Left- A story about a daughter being abducted by aliens
It Came from the Tub- a kids book about the drain hole in the bath tub and what can be found it in.

Also I'd like to note that if you don't put anything in the description area of the book when they give you the prompt once its done being written, the price of it selling will be poor. If you fill up the description box I noticed the price will be high, and become a best seller. I usually put in one sentence and then have tested a few with random typing and it does sell well even if the description isn't even a real paragraph.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 7th Dec 2008 at 3:31 AM
The description has no effect on the price. I looked at the code and all that nonsense they added in FT is purely cosmetic. The price is figured exactly the same way as before. I idly wonder if plot elements might affect enthusiasm when you are reading it - pick the soccer ball and it builds sports enthusiasm for example - but I've never looked into that.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 4:04 AM
*cough*
Zeig Heist
Fugitives of Nazi Germany's overbearing tyrany, the Broflowskis, aim to get even with Der Führer. Whilst in hiding, they concoct a plan to deplete the Reich's state funds. Can the Broflowski's bring this plot to fruition...? Or will they merely join the ranks of the confined in Auschwitz...?

I chose icons that had to do with a bank robbery... I was gonna title it simply Heist and have some boring bank job summary... but Heist sounded vaguely like Heil... and the rest was history. Don't punch me. *hides*

-Holy Hell!-
The cement is just - it's there for the weight dear!

Nice 'n' easy does it everytime...
Field Researcher
#18 Old 5th Feb 2009 at 3:55 PM
My culinary sim wrote a cookbook called Soup on a Budget. I think I chose the Soup - Dollar Sign - Bird - Fish - Mouse - Soup icons (or something like that).
Test Subject
#19 Old 28th Feb 2009 at 1:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FurryPanda
You can take an infinite number of copies of the book off the bookshelf, and set a custom price for them. That's how I do it at least. There's probably a more efficient way.

I didn't know you could set a price for the novels and sell them - what I'm doing right now is giving it away to other sims and have those sims pay my author by cheque.

Thanks for that tip! So do you put the books on the OFB shelves?

Currently playing HP's Uber Megahood - check out http://simstate.wordpress.com
Test Subject
#20 Old 13th Mar 2009 at 4:59 AM
I almost always make my sim write an encyclopedia type of book - I did one with all animals, one with all the orange things, one with all the weather icons, etc. Then I use the green encyclopedia cover and just call it whatever I want, usually nothing to do with the subjects :p
Test Subject
#21 Old 13th Mar 2009 at 5:13 AM
Candytoast from MATY made new novel plotlines - has anyone here used Bookicons_CT 2.1 and what was your experience with it?

I just wish that it isn't a replacement for the MATY icons, would've liked to have additional icons but still keep the default ones. .. I do wonder about what'll happen to the already published novels of my sims if I put this in.

Currently playing HP's Uber Megahood - check out http://simstate.wordpress.com
#22 Old 16th Mar 2009 at 12:07 AM
Destruction

Money--->City--->Missle--->Ghost--->Peace sign

A rich dude pays a mayor to bomb a city. He sees the ghost, rebuilds the city, and everybody is happy.

Rod Al
Astronaut--->Rocket--->Alien--->Scary Alien--->Pacifier

Honestly, you can guess.
Site Helper
#23 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 1:19 PM
Strange

Cat--> Pacifier --> Dog --> Astronaut --> Elephant

(With assistance from my son) A cat has a baby which turns out to be a puppy. The puppy grows up to become a very good dog, who is then adopted by a very confused astronaut who thought he was getting a pet elephant.

(I've also written the Astronaut-->Rocket-->Alien-->Pacifier-->Scary Alien story, the difference being in where the pacifier symbol went. )

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 12:38 PM
My novelist sim wrote a mystery/murder/romance series about a charactor named Taylor Chance who routinely got shot at or blown up and then naked with the alpha male cop. Very stereo! She wrote them in order to save her marriage. She'd sit at her computer and work instead of bonking the maid. Or the gardener. Or the bartender. Or that nice young man that came to fix her telly. . .
The novels of Vivian Goodheart:
Taylor's Chance
Last Chance
A Chance to Die
Taking A Chance. . . .
Well, you get the picture. I think one was about a kidnapped racehorse, and another was set in Niagra Falls.
Don't you hate it when you get all nostalgic about sims that don't exist anymore?? *sniff
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 27th Apr 2009 at 10:31 PM
I've never had a sim write a novel before. I think I will go do that right now once I'm done with my current sim's college semester. :3
Page 1 of 2