Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 23rd Jun 2008 at 12:42 AM
Wow, that is just super cool! Well, at least for disc versions anyway. Poor people who buy the digital versions.

HP, thanks for telling me that. Now I just have to practice what I want to say to EA and sound a bit more professional to top it off.
Advertisement
#27 Old 23rd Jun 2008 at 3:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frankie
Wow, that is just super cool! Well, at least for disc versions anyway. Poor people who buy the digital versions.

I don't think it's any different than their current statement for digital versions. "You can download and install x number of times, unless you purchase the download protection plan" or whatever they call it. All I know is that it costs an extra $10 and I decline it every time they try to pass it off onto me when I purchase stuff packs.
Top Secret Researcher
#28 Old 24th Jun 2008 at 2:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
musiquefille - The idea with the three install limit is that you have to initialize the install by being online when you install.

Are you saying that if you're online when you install, as in have an activated internet connection, it won't count against your three installs?

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
#29 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 10:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist_
I think its an unrealistic proposal. Even for Sims 3. It shows all the hallmarks of a group of people who are unhealthily obsessive about piracy and who seem to be taking a "You're all going to suffer unless they stop" type of approach.

Funny thing is, it doesn't stop pirates at all, since they don't share keys, they get them from programs, so its doing nothing but making it look like they're doing something.
Scholar
#30 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 6:09 PM
I'm sure that I read somewhere that the 3 install thing ment that you could install it as many times as you want on three different computers only... or did I just make that up?
Alchemist
#31 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 6:23 PM
I think the three computer thing was for spore after they changed it?
Mad Poster
#32 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 6:49 PM
The joke with all this is that the very people who are actually able to get around protection codes and pirate are not affected by all these little schemes. Iti's the rest of us who pay for our games and use the "legally" who are inconvenienced - e.g., Securom.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#33 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 7:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by edejan
The joke with all this is that the very people who are actually able to get around protection codes and pirate are not affected by all these little schemes. Iti's the rest of us who pay for our games and use the "legally" who are inconvenienced - e.g., Securom.

I disagree -- not about being inconvenienced, because I don't think the version of Securom being described here is the way to go -- but if EA wants to enforce a one household per game purchased policy, they do need a more effective way to enforce their license. It doesn't take a hacker or a crack to violate the EULA.

(I understand if this message needs to be deleted, but I want to note I am not advocating this behavior. It's just easy to see the gaping hole in EA's security, so I understand why they are desperately seeking a means to prevent the behavior.)
#34 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 8:58 PM
I made the mistake of buying a digital EP once.. never again. The Securom they installed with their downloader needed internet every time it launched, and I usually block all network traffic when I'm not using the Internet, so this was annoying. Also I had to disable my virus scan every time I launched the Sims because Securom was doing things that set it off as malicious software and it would not ignore it even when I told it it was OK (which it wasn't, I hate Securom, but I just wanted to play the game). Soon after that I built a new computer anyway and got the box version just to avoid all that crap.
Mad Poster
#35 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 10:44 PM
Okay, so what is it then? 3 installs or 3 computers? I'm getting confused here since people are saying different things now.
Alchemist
#36 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 10:49 PM
Its neither as EA didnt mention anything about it being in apartment life, only about spore and TS3
Theorist
#37 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 3:08 AM
frankie, it's 3 installs on 3 different computers You can reinstall as many times as you want on the same computer.
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 5:08 AM
Didn't I posted the answer EA gave me about this? Those limits are supposed to be only for digital download versions of the game. Boxed version doesn't have these restrictions...
Field Researcher
#39 Old 28th Jun 2008 at 9:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by era506
Didn't I posted the answer EA gave me about this? Those limits are supposed to be only for digital download versions of the game. Boxed version doesn't have these restrictions...

that's still fairly crappy for those that do digital downloads though...I mean, they're still paying to get the game through the EA download manager just as people that walk into a store and buy the CD are...EA needs to be consistent - either have the limit across all forms of the EP, or not at all (preferably not at all).
Forum Resident
#40 Old 29th Jun 2008 at 2:57 AM
era- So digital means downaloding from the net right? Boxed means from the store?

Good because I buy mine from the store, and I am glad it's not included.
HP_ I know this is OT but I need to know, is there any point in me getting Spore? Because I don't have the internet on the computer I play games with, and has it actually been confirmed TS3 will suffer the same?

My Sims 3 Random Legacy Challenge: The Amberstones
http://amberstonelegacy.blogspot.com.au/
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 29th Jun 2008 at 2:10 PM
you ppl are too paranoic......... if a CD game would be limited to 3 installs, the company will recive a major decrease in market, and increase piracy; not even EA are that stupid to do that...
Mad Poster
#42 Old 30th Jun 2008 at 3:41 AM
Excuse me but I was just clearing up some confusion since one person says one thing and someone else says another. You can take your attitude and sarcasm elsewhere.
Top Secret Researcher
#43 Old 25th Jul 2008 at 11:38 AM
im glad this isn't true. :D

Previously known as 'simcharley1990'
Mad Poster
#44 Old 26th Jul 2008 at 4:36 AM
Same here. It is quite a relief.
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 26th Jul 2008 at 11:57 AM
Well, the only thing I can say is just wait until people buy it on release day and see what they say...It's only a month away before it's released and we are going to know something by then. I've also read where another simmer contacted EAxis and they were told that from AL EP until TheSims3 will have the three installs limit so I don't know what to believe at this point ....

I have tried, but have failed. What else is there for me do do?
Mad Poster
#46 Old 27th Jul 2008 at 1:17 AM
Jeez, not even finish off the Sims 2 series with the same protection? I doubt it, though. I mean it's one more EP as far as we know and I don't think it will happy already.
Field Researcher
#47 Old 27th Jul 2008 at 5:34 AM
That is seriously a stupid ida in my opinion

ılı.------Volume------.ılı.
▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ █
Min- - - - - - - - - - -●Max
► Play ▌▌ Pause ■ Stop
Mad Poster
#48 Old 27th Jul 2008 at 11:49 PM
Tell me about it! I really miss the way it was when TS2 first was released, or even TS1 (not sure if they both had the same protection or not).
Field Researcher
#49 Old 28th Jul 2008 at 3:57 PM
The annoying thing is that those who are so inclined figure out how to bypass the security software anyway; the people who have purchased the game legally end up having to deal with all these issues pretty much for nothing.
Mad Poster
#50 Old 29th Jul 2008 at 5:14 AM
Well, the rage from the anti-Securom community was enough to change the 10-day verification deal. So who knows what else they can change.
Page 2 of 4