Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 32 (Who?), Viewed: 858 times.
Page 1 of 2
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jun 2015 at 9:55 PM
Default Neighborhood modification
I've never actually looked at my TS2 as a neighborhood in general, in fact I barely touched the premade towns that came with it except plotting in random lots here and there. Mostly the reason was they didn't actually add in that feature where you can see your neighbors while playing your own lot until much later.

I've seen some of TS2 players' screenshots of their town and they look amazing. If one doesn't pay too much attention, they would've mistaken it as an open world or something. I've been thinking about rearranging my neighborhood lots so there's more of a cohesion, unity and look more like a real neighborhood.

I have one question though. I noticed a lot of these screenshots, the backdrop lots look just as detailed as the lot that is currently being played. Is this some trick or mod I've never came across? Because so far as I can tell in my game, when you play a lot, your neighbor's houses are rendered into a low detailed shell.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 10th Jun 2015 at 10:24 PM
Can you point us to these pictures? Neighbourhood lots do get a low rendered detail.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#3 Old 10th Jun 2015 at 10:58 PM
Some people have stage sets, creating a lot of dummy houses. These dummy houses usually serve the purpose of having an interesting backdrop.

The Building Nightmare Challenge (Sims 2) - Create the Nightmare of your fears!
The Harder Orphanage Challenge (Sims 3) - Drive your Babysitters crazy!
The Midwife Challenge (Sims 2) - Care for Children!
Instructor
#4 Old 10th Jun 2015 at 11:33 PM
There is also a big difference between pics taken from an individual lot of a larger area ( backdrop) and from pics taken from the hood camera. I use lots of hood cc in my pics and space out the actual dwellings/community lots.

Shotgunning bland cucumbers since 1974
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Jun 2015 at 11:44 PM Last edited by nitromon : 11th Jun 2015 at 1:31 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
Can you point us to these pictures? Neighbourhood lots do get a low rendered detail.

A lot of Maxon's screenshot such as this one is puzzling. It is clearly in a live mode but the neighbor lot looks like it is in good resolution. Most other screenshots, a lot of them look like the one Mookie posted, which seems to be from the neighborhood so I know they created a lot of those neighborhood mesh just for the shot.

I don't usually click people's links on their sigs, but one time I randomly clicked this one person on TS2 forum's link to her blog or simbler and her screenshots blew me away. At first I thought I was looking at Sims 3 Bridgeport or something, but upon closer examination it was Sims 2 downtown and it was in livemode because her sims were in the shots.

I can't seem to find this person anymore, if she sees this, please join in!

Ok, I found it, they're from the blogs of @PenelopeT

After some close examination, it seems to be a combination of very good angles shots, using downtown hi-rise decoration (which won't be in low resolution like lot houses), and multiple buildings on a large apartment lot.

I don't want to repost any of her images from her blog, if you want to seem them, click the links she provided on her profile. Some of those screenshots are just beyond amazing.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 1:34 AM
That looks normal, the buildings on the lot are sharp (either side of the 'road') the green building is the only one out of lot and is low res like I would expect. That is a fake road. I am going to ask her how she got curb and guttering on both sides. These were staged pictures for her hoods story. If you would like to help play test her thread is here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=522883 I know she used some special techniques with some of the buildings.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 1:38 AM
Quote:
That looks normal, the buildings on the lot are sharp (either side of the 'road') the green building is the only one out of lot and is low res like I would expect. That is a fake road. I am going to ask her how she got curb and guttering on both sides. These were staged pictures for her hoods story.

Fake road? Wow, I didn't even notice that was possible. That would explain why the building across the road has detailed texture.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 1:41 AM
I edited my post and gave you a link to her hood project. She could do with more testers.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#9 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 2:58 AM Last edited by maxon : 11th Jun 2015 at 3:11 AM.
All the stuff in the foreground is the same lot (that's Abbie and the girls at the toy shop), that's why it looks in sharp focus. The only off lot stuff you can see is, as Jo said, the green structures in the background. Those are lot imposters and thus low-res. Actually, the main door to the pub is lot imposter too - you can see the change in quality if you look carefully. It's not a fake road, it's THE road for the lot. I used the Lot Adjuster. There are quite a few fiddled with lots in Polgannon. That's the High Street and, basically, I wanted a proper street.

This is another view of the lot looking the other way from earlier in the build cycle.

You can see the road a little more clearly in relation to the neighbourhood road. I thought I had an overview of the lot but apparently not.

Polgannon Project - blimey, now in beta. (Post 249)
Mad Poster
#10 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 3:23 AM
Oh, so you moved the road, clever. I've never tried any of those advanced features of the lot adjuster, only made lots larger or shrunk them. So that's how you kept the curb edging. It's always bugged me that Maxis gave us road flooring but no edging. I noticed your lot had proper edging on the road as soon as it loaded up.

Did you see my post on the Polgannon thread?

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 4:42 AM Last edited by nitromon : 11th Jun 2015 at 7:11 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxon
All the stuff in the foreground is the same lot (that's Abbie and the girls at the toy shop), that's why it looks in sharp focus. The only off lot stuff you can see is, as Jo said, the green structures in the background. Those are lot imposters and thus low-res. Actually, the main door to the pub is lot imposter too - you can see the change in quality if you look carefully. It's not a fake road, it's THE road for the lot. I used the Lot Adjuster. There are quite a few fiddled with lots in Polgannon. That's the High Street and, basically, I wanted a proper street.

Lot impostors? *woosh*

I'm going to have to come back and read this later in more detail, this is good stuff but way too much for me to digest in 1 sitting.

Quote:
I edited my post and gave you a link to her hood project. She could do with more testers.

Thanks! I'll go check it out.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 11:28 AM
Quote:
Oh, so you moved the road, clever. I've never tried any of those advanced features of the lot adjuster, only made lots larger or shrunk them. So that's how you kept the curb edging. It's always bugged me that Maxis gave us road flooring but no edging. I noticed your lot had proper edging on the road as soon as it loaded up.

Did you see my post on the Polgannon thread?

Yes, I did - helpful thanks and it's on the list. It bloody annoys me about the tables and chairs.

The road isn't moved, the Lot Adjuster allows you to build over the road in certain circumstances.

Lot Imposters, Nitromom, is just the neighbouring lots graphically rendered so you can see them. The process is criminally low quality. Well, to be fair, at the time it was done (University), it was probably a big deal but it would be nice if the process produced a higher quality image. I think that's been looked into and it's hard-coded - can't be changed.

Lab Assistant
#13 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 5:06 PM
Now I have what might seem to be a silly, but related question. How on earth do people take shots from the Neighborhood view so close to the ground? Is it a camera mod? It seems like they get right in there and I can't seem to figure out how.

My simblr
In the name of the Moon, i will right wrongs and triumph over evil, and that means YOU! ❤️
Semi-hiatus thanks to Skyrim + reading manga
Forum Resident
#14 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 5:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffyn
Now I have what might seem to be a silly, but related question. How on earth do people take shots from the Neighborhood view so close to the ground? Is it a camera mod? It seems like they get right in there and I can't seem to figure out how.

Go into free cameraman mode by hitting the tab key on your keyboard. The Q, W, E, and S help you navigate in this mode, and Z and X are for magnification. It takes practice.

Lab Assistant
#15 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 5:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumPlumbbob
Go into free cameraman mode by hitting the tab key on your keyboard. The Q, W, E, and S help you navigate in this mode, and Z and X are for magnification. It takes practice.

I had no idea that it was even possible to do that in neighborhood mode. Thanks a ton!

My simblr
In the name of the Moon, i will right wrongs and triumph over evil, and that means YOU! ❤️
Semi-hiatus thanks to Skyrim + reading manga
Forum Resident
#16 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 6:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffyn
I had no idea that it was even possible to do that in neighborhood mode. Thanks a ton!

The tip was printed in the base game manual, assuming that you have the physical copy.

Test Subject
#17 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 9:26 PM
PlatinumPlumbbob, I want to try this for neighborhood vieiw. Do I just hit the tab key again to revert back to default view? Thanks for the tip. Oh, and thank you Steffyn for asking.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 9:30 PM
I usually press ESC.

Test Subject
#19 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 9:40 PM
Thank you a bunch maxon. I love to look at pictures that have been taken. I have sat and wondered, how did they get that view?
Scholar
Original Poster
#20 Old 12th Jun 2015 at 2:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxon
The road isn't moved, the Lot Adjuster allows you to build over the road in certain circumstances.

You mean the buildings across the road is not on a separate lot? You stretched your current lot over the road?

I haven't build for TS2 in a long while, only thing I can remember was one time I stretched the building across the sidewalk to build on the 1 square between the road and the sidewalk. This gave me a covered side walk with a ceiling.

Also, maybe you've explained it, but why is the door to the building across the road blurry in the 1st SS above, but then it was detailed in the 2nd one?
Mad Poster
#21 Old 12th Jun 2015 at 2:42 AM
You can do all kinds of things with the lot adjuster, even take the road away.

maxon has placed two lots over the top of each other, it's so there can be a separate owner run business in the middle.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#22 Old 12th Jun 2015 at 5:02 AM
Quote:
You can do all kinds of things with the lot adjuster, even take the road away.

maxon has placed two lots over the top of each other, it's so there can be a separate owner run business in the middle.

Overlapping lots? That sound intriguing, but wouldn't that mean when you are operating 1 lot, the other one will be come lot impostor?
Mad Poster
#23 Old 12th Jun 2015 at 5:22 AM
It does, so you do need to turn neighbourhood view off while playing the shop or put up with the ugly lot imposter being in your way. OFB really needed an apartment type mechanic, where you could have them separated but on the same lot. Still beats anything TS3 or that 4 thing have though.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#24 Old 12th Jun 2015 at 5:58 AM
Quote:
It does, so you do need to turn neighbourhood view off while playing the shop or put up with the ugly lot imposter being in your way. OFB really needed an apartment type mechanic, where you could have them separated but on the same lot. Still beats anything TS3 or that 4 thing have though.

Can you not create an apartment lot and then open a personal business from your apartment?

I actually created a large apartment lot with top floors being apartments and bottom floors being shops. It is the same one I mentioned above where I stretched the lot over the sidewalks. I created simply to have a combined apt + commercial zone, but I think it would be doable if I use an apartment resident to start a home business and simply take one of the lower floor rooms as a business. (Assuming you can start a personal business in apt, I can't remember whether that option was available.)

With the current setup, it is an apartment lot, so no customers will come unless I invite them. The only other customers are residents of the apartment. I never got around to it, but I was planning to start a home business with a resident, then this will allow me to use the customer limit adjuster mod to generate customers for the commercial businesses below.

One potential problem I can think of right now is that outside the resident usage, you cannot play another household and visit this lot as a commercial lot since it is an apartment lot. Unless you can visit apartment lots... again, don't remember if that was possible. I remember you can visit neighbors if you live on that lot, but not sure if you can from an outside house or if there's a mod that will allow this.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 12th Jun 2015 at 6:31 AM
You can make an unowned shop on an apartment lot with this mod: http://modthesims.info/d/352602 Home business no, the game doesn't allow it and there is no mod for it, probably impossible.

~Call me Jo~
Page 1 of 2