Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 14 (Who?), Viewed: 372 times.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Oct 2014 at 11:41 AM
Default Open rear door?
My sims had a burglar over during the night, uninvited ofcourse. The burglar alarm shouted and he did not have time to steal anything before a cop jumped right on him.
The burglar got handcuffed and then walked out to the police car and for a few seconds my sim had the option '' open rear door ''. I have heard about this interaction before as it makes the burglar escape.
Has anyone of you tried it? When should you click it so that it gets activated and during those few seconds that the option is available - will the task be interupted if those seconds run out?
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 26th Oct 2014 at 12:11 PM
I don't know if it will time out, but I've done it and the burglar does escape. You just click on it when the option comes up.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 26th Oct 2014 at 1:19 PM
Huh?! I have never heard of this! What is the benefit of doing so?

Livejournal: simsfreq.livejournal.com
Tumblr: simsfreq.tumblr.com

Co sleeper for babies/toddlers, and teen career overhaul (also custom schools): Here at simbology
Alchemist
#4 Old 26th Oct 2014 at 1:35 PM
I'd imagine it's just a way for evil sims to screw over the police as the burglar does escape.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 26th Oct 2014 at 2:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsfreq
Huh?! I have never heard of this! What is the benefit of doing so?


Maybe, it's an option just in case the victim has a change of heart and wishes to help the criminal out. That, or the game designers were yet again showing us how twisted their sense humor was.

I have gotten the option before, but have never gone through with it.

Wonder if doing so would add a relationship boost between the victim and burglar - "Hey buddy, I helped you escape. Please don't break into my house again."





"Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections."
Mad Poster
#6 Old 26th Oct 2014 at 2:28 PM
Since it's possible to have a relationship with the burglar, a sim might very well want him to escape.

I bet it was added because of Dustin. He's friends with Gordon, the NPC burglar, who is presumably his boss. So say Brandi gets a windfall or marries well, gets something worth taking that prompts the burglar to show up, and Gordon's the one who shows. The player might well decide that Dustin is afraid of repercussions if Gordon goes in, or believes Gordon came to see him and not to steal anything, or some other story motivation, and that being the case the option to help him escape is a good one to have.

The player might also have story reasons to allow the burglar to escape, independent of what the sim would want.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . My most recent book is Sullivan, That Summer. Widespot and Widespot RFD: The Subhood are both available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 26th Oct 2014 at 3:29 PM
Yeah - Sandra Handy helped Jessica Ebadi escape. They'd met in prison last time Jessica was jailed for theft and burglary. In prison where Sandra is a prison warder.

Polgannon Project - Seriously, I'm still working on it.
Space Pony
#8 Old 26th Oct 2014 at 3:42 PM
Huh, I slightly remember something being said in the old guide book about this, slightly... but I could be wrong. I think I just dismissed that information because I've never seen that option. Now I can't wait for the next time my Sims to get burgled...

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#9 Old 26th Oct 2014 at 3:56 PM
I still haven't seen the option come up. I check to see if does every time a burglar gets arrested, but nope, nothing. Probably has something to do with the relationship score with the burglar (and might also have something to do with a sim's personality, if they were grouchy sims for example.)
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 26th Oct 2014 at 4:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.M.A.A.
I still haven't seen the option come up. I check to see if does every time a burglar gets arrested, but nope, nothing. Probably has something to do with the relationship score with the burglar (and might also have something to do with a sim's personality, if they were grouchy sims for example.)


It's quite rare, you have to keep clicking the police car again and again and it will only be available for a few seconds
Scholar
#11 Old 26th Oct 2014 at 5:01 PM
I think there was a thread about this last year, with a picture of it happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peni Griffin
Since it's possible to have a relationship with the burglar, a sim might very well want him to escape.

I bet it was added because of Dustin. He's friends with Gordon, the NPC burglar, who is presumably his boss. So say Brandi gets a windfall or marries well, gets something worth taking that prompts the burglar to show up, and Gordon's the one who shows. The player might well decide that Dustin is afraid of repercussions if Gordon goes in, or believes Gordon came to see him and not to steal anything, or some other story motivation, and that being the case the option to help him escape is a good one to have.
It's even possible that it was Dustin who tipped Gordon off that there was something in the house worth stealing. (Not in my game though. My Dustin will always put loyalty to his mum before loyalty to Gordon! O))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peni Griffin
The player might also have story reasons to allow the burglar to escape, independent of what the sim would want.
As I understand it, it's the selected Sim who opens the rear door to let the burglar escape, so, from a story point of view, I reckon the Sim in question would have to have some sort of reason for wanting to help the burglar.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
Scholar
#12 Old 26th Oct 2014 at 9:14 PM
Doesn't The Sims 3 have an option to free burglars after they have been arrested but the cop hasn't drove off with them yet? You get a nice relationship boost with them, and the hands of the law aren't too pleased to be backstabbed. :p

Newgrounds | The Last Stand Wiki | Sims Wiki | YouTube | Wikipedia
If I told you to "read the last two links" in my signature, I actually mean "read the links below this line".
FFS Lot Debugger options
Avoiding corruption | How to delete a Sim correctly | Which NPCs are safe to move in?
Field Researcher
#13 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 3:28 AM
I haven't had a burglar in human years. I never bother with the burglar alarm, so I guess if I did have a burglar I wouldn't get to check this stuff out because the burglar would get away. What makes a burglar come anyway?
Instructor
#14 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 5:09 AM
I never see a burglar but have alarms at all first level exterior doors. I wonder if a resident is in the crime career & helps his fellow co-worker, if it will give him any job benefit, such as a promotion.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Chardonnay in one hand, chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO HOO . . WHAT A RIDE!!!"
Alchemist
#15 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 8:07 AM
I got a burglar and thought, ooh I'll try the letting them go thing. Stupid cop lost the fight lol.
Back to top

Section jump