Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 18 (Who?), Viewed: 616 times.
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Dec 2015 at 7:53 PM
Default Dublicating Lots
After giving some thoughts, I wanted to re-build my hood Withea Dale from scratch again, but not because of corruption or that I got overwhelmed, but because I wanted delete some CC that affect all hoods and also ones I didnt use (such as alien npc when I play a pre-modern hood, food or genetics I dont even I use, etc. ) and the topic of this thread - Creating Lots. This was the major reason why I didn't come anywhere otherthan speeding up their age and increasing the population without bothering about the actual lots. Over time this got boring and overwhelmed as I had 130+ families that "need" a home, even after 11 generation of speeding up their lifespan they never had a house. Its not the actual number of sims that were my issue, but the actual lots! So, now I try to build the basic lots of the hood first and create a backup before adding the (new cas) families again.

I often read that people suggest dublicate the lots, but perhaps its just me, but doesn't it looks a bit boring to play the families if the lots are indentical to eachothers? I don't like to play large lots so other than adding an extra floor or so, its get a bit tricky re-do the lots while playing them unless you make-over the entire lot, which to me, seems just pointless when dublicating them.

Right now, Ive been trying this method and so far created five lots and dublicated them a few times, the pic below has 24 lots that will be used for my low class sims (farmers, craftmen, fishingsims, bakers, pet breeders etc) and scattered them around the area where these families will live.
I probably need to create a couple of more lots and repeat the process because knowning my habits, I definitly need more than 24 lots for them. Shown in spoiler:

Does this hood looks too similare, like can you see Ive only used five lots? How do you the dublicate progress if you actually want your hood to look good but practical also?
(I know some simmers don't care about this and just randomly put lots here and there or build by playing them. Im the opposite and like to back up the lots by putting them into the lot bin before playing them. )
Field Researcher
DELETED POST
12th Dec 2015 at 8:14 PM
This message has been deleted by teafortwo.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 12th Dec 2015 at 9:02 PM
It looks fine to me to I am very lazy when it comes to building houses, so I only have 5 starters, 5 medium houses and 5 large houses (forever in my lot bin, should I need one). I don't care that they look alike, at least I know where the telephone is
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Dec 2015 at 9:09 PM
JustPetro: I always put the telephone next to the front door and another one in the kitchen and most objects tends to place in similare manner, but the room are located differently, so finding each object has never been an problem for me.
But when playing families who are similare and living in the dublicate lot, sometimes It feel like Im repeating the same family again, so I guess thats why I find dublicated houses tricky.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 12th Dec 2015 at 10:23 PM
I have a basic layout I like to use for a starter home - all the things needed for less than 20k. It gets expanded slightly when children are born and there is a big rebuild when the first child becomes an adult and starts their own family. The houses looks boring in the first generation, although I try to switch things up with different color schemes and may add a few things over time, but the second generation houses all look different and are made to fit the families.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 12th Dec 2015 at 10:30 PM
Are you happy with the look? You're the only one you need to please. Even just painting the walls inside will help give the lot it's own feel.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#6 Old 13th Dec 2015 at 12:03 AM
I know that you want to keep the look cohesive, but I wouldn't be afraid of expanding the palette a little. It's not typical for ALL buildings in an area to be built from exactly the same materials. I'd consider having two or three options for roof colours and 2-4 options for outside materials. That way, they still look like they are in a scheme but not every house looks exactly the same. You could also denote class like this - having cheaper materials for the cheaper houses, for example. Or just put some detailing on some houses and not others.

Livejournal: simsfreq.livejournal.com
Tumblr: simsfreq.tumblr.com

Co sleeper for babies/toddlers, and teen career overhaul (also custom schools): Here at simbology
Theorist
#7 Old 13th Dec 2015 at 12:26 AM
I live in a housing scheme built by a speculative builder in the 1930s. The builder had a fairly small number of designs, and duplicated them all over the neighbourhood, sometimes making changes to fit the terrain, which is anything but flat. (For example our house has a large cellar at the front, because the ground at the front is much lower. Other similar houses on flatter ground have no cellars.) Over the years people have made all sorts of changes to their houses and gardens, and no two houses look the same. Lots of them have had garages, garage conversions, loft conversions and extensions added. But there is still enough homogeneity of design for the neighbourhood to feel cohesive. Even in a new development, people like to make little changes to their houses to express their individuality. It's what turns a house into a home.

Let your Sims do the same. Let them choose wallpaper and paintwork that suits them. Some might like parquet or laminate flooring. Others will like to feel their feet sink into a deep pile carpet. The front door is the first thing your visitors see. Is it welcoming? The impression it gives is important. Let your Sims change it to one that says what they want to say about themselves. If there's room maybe add a little porch.

You could do worse than look at some of the Maxis houses. If you have Downtown anywhere, take a look at the four little starter houses in Mendoza Lane. They're all built to the same basic design. But even on the outside there are subtle differences. And inside, they're all different (with different floor-plans). Three of them are occupied in my game so far. And they all feel quite different when I play them.

I know your playstyle is very different to mine, but I find it hard to get my head round the thought of Sims living for 11 generations on a lot without a house. Finding a house is the first thing I do for my Sims. My eponymous Sims Andrew and Gloria are still living on the little Maxis house they moved into the first time I started the game 3 years ago. There have been a few changes, including a modest and tasteful extension, but it's still clearly the same house, with much of the original furniture. And it's very much their home!

Try to let your Sims live a bit. There's more to life than just breeding!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Theorist
#8 Old 13th Dec 2015 at 12:30 AM
I do paint the walls different colors (if I remember) I love building community lots, though - I tend to keep official buildings looking somewhat the same - I will use the same walls, floors, even doors and windows on lots that I deem having been built by the municipal council; but other community lots and owned business lots are the ones where I let my imagination go (often too far ).
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 13th Dec 2015 at 12:45 AM
Andrew Gloria.
Sometimes when I get bored of playing it "normally", I tends to abuse hacked objects like simblender, insim, skilling objects so one generation can go very quickly. Its not exactly the "breeding" Im after but see how the family tree changes. I get easily bored when sims doing the "normal" stuff, or when everything is similare (for example, before all of my sim families were granparents, parents, children and grandchildren in one house unless the parents had siblings whose famjily is a tad different, so Im using risks or plague to alter the family structure, and probably will roll a dice what kind of relationship they like both good and bad ones). Since Im (re-)starting the hood from scratch, I will use new strategies and using challenges as inspiration (like BACC and the Random challenge), so hopefully I can start playing the families more slowly rather than speeding it up. After playing the previous one for a year I start to grasp the overall feel I want my hood to be like)l.

I don't longer play maxi hoods so I don't remember what they look like. But many were cramped for most of my sim families or they had too much of a garden that would only lag my computer. So I prefer to build my own, even if I find it one of the most tedious things in TS2. I don't like the maxi or downloaded ones, because I want to build everything myself.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 13th Dec 2015 at 1:21 AM
If you need a bunch of lots that kinda look like each other then either go get Mootilda's lots or get Mooville that has most of her lots in it and then place them in the bin and you now have well over 40 houses and over 15 community lots to chose from.

Mootilda's Lots: http://www.modthesims.info/browse.p...wAll=1&u=589252
MooVille: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 13th Dec 2015 at 1:27 AM
Marka93.
Uh oh... you know thats the opposite what I asked about this thread. I asked how people manage the dilemma of having too similare lots when dublicates. I dont want to download any. Just discuss about the process to make it work.
Theorist
#12 Old 13th Dec 2015 at 2:22 AM
Florentzina,

I didn't mean you to play the Maxis Downtown. I just meant (if you still have the Maxis 'hoods on your computer) you to open up Downtown to have a look at those houses in Mendoza Lane, to see how you can vary the same basic design to produce houses that feel very different, just as happens in Real Life. If you don't have access to a Maxis (or Tarlia's) Downtown, I could maybe take pictures of them in my game so you could see what they look like. I don't find Maxis lots nearly as bad as some people say they are, and I'm not above using them as inspiration for my own lots. The Mendoza Lane houses themselves (on 2x2 lots) are ideal for single Sims or a couple of newly-weds, but they would be far too small for your big families.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Theorist
#13 Old 13th Dec 2015 at 3:21 AM
One way I do to keep 'same-looking' lots from being boring is that one of the first businesses I open for someone to run is a gardening shop, with all the different varieties of flowers and trees you can have in the game-CC and otherwise. It's open every day (and I teleport customers in-I'm very impatient that way) and everyone who comes in has a different style of garden. The lawn can definitely be different on every house. You can, of course, change the outer walls, the windows and various other details of a house when you have 20 of the same type in your neighborhood.
The only reason I keep a 'standard' house in my lot bin is that it's always furnished and has all the necessities of life for starting out-and it's priced for a starter.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Theorist
#14 Old 13th Dec 2015 at 10:42 AM
I hate cramped houses myself, so I understand that perfectly - 8 Sims do not fit into a small kitchen, and one bathroom is NOT enough for me either. Yet personally I have, over time, found the layouts I like, and I sort of stick to them (even though many will regard my bathrooms as too big, not to mention my kitchen ). Yet I also have large families in general (twins and twins you know) - so I think I understand.
I honestly think the best solution walls, floors, windows, doors - and curtains and bedding, those are essential in my game and I have a lot of them.
Enjoy the new hood Pity that the revolution has never happened, though
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 13th Dec 2015 at 2:06 PM
# Andrew Gloria
No I didn't mean it that way. I just use empty templates and have deleted all maxi hoods (the ones in the sim bin. because there are alot talk about the cons when moving played lots to the simbin, I don't longer want to take the risks and use the maxi ones in this hood). in the game long time. So I don't remember them that much.
I wanted to create everything on my own in this hood so thats why.

And yes, Ive many sim families that hare probably larger than yours. Though I going to have some ideal kids restriction based on their social group, like only farmers may have 6 kids because they generally have family as primary aspiration, while royal families who tends to be popularity sims, will have less than 2 or 3 kids.

BTW; Most of my lots are 2x2 (sometimes 2x3 if they need plenty place for crops, 1x2/3 if they are small families) and I can fit 8 sim families in 2x2 lots, but I usually use bunk beds for that and kids move out as soon as possilble.

# Justpetro.
Well revollution has to happen later as I need to deal with some of my old habits - like creating the lots first. Also, I will try to not go overboard with wealthy families (giving them too many kids) because they were the reason I added so many sims later on.
For the families with many kids, I guess I need to get some of them weed with CAS sims because my founding farmers will have 6 kids who will focus on different area of farming or nature. (they wont follow my orginal rules exactly where sims took their same sex parent footstep but they will do something that relate to it or withing their social group, like the third son with raise pets instead of growing plants ).
Alchemist
#16 Old 13th Dec 2015 at 4:38 PM Last edited by gazania : 16th Dec 2015 at 2:41 PM.
It has gotten to the point when, now that I spend a great deal of time and effort with my lots (except for the infamous Box Hotel), I so often look at my lots in the one hood and think. "Dang. I should have packaged them." So now, I tend to package a prototype of every lot I create (except my Box hotel chain!) I now have a base lot, sans terrain, that I can use in all my hoods. If it turns out I like another variation better, or don't use that lot much, I can always delete it or move the file outside of the game.

Actually, in the US at least, using the same variation of a house is fairly common in developments. So there is a solid precedent for using a similar structure in a hood. Even in older times, the idea was to churn 'em out and get a structure in place. I doubt that lower-class residents sat around designing their lots.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.
Theorist
#17 Old 13th Dec 2015 at 5:27 PM
The Box Hotel. Perfect for poor skate Sims wanting to do things in the dark
Mad Poster
#18 Old 13th Dec 2015 at 6:34 PM Last edited by gummilutt : 13th Dec 2015 at 9:14 PM. Reason: Fixed brainfart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florentzina
I often read that people suggest dublicate the lots, but perhaps its just me, but doesn't it looks a bit boring to play the families if the lots are indentical to eachothers?

If other people enjoy that, then great. It can certainly look neat in pictures. But I would go out of my mind. There are no duplicate houses in my hood. There are a couple of apartment complexes that I have used twice, once in the main hood and once at campus, as well as a couple of community lots that exist in the main hood and at campus. That's it though, and someone who lives in an apartment complex at campus won't move to the same one in the main hood.

Most of my Sims will live in at least three different houses in their lives, many of them far more than that. One of the core generation is on her third apartment as an adult, plus the two places she lived in at campus, and her family home as a kid. She'll definitely move at least once more, when she has kids. Why do they move so much? Because I love decorating and really enjoy decorating a place to suit the Sim, but also because I get bored with a house. Eventually I feel done playing it, and need a change of environment to keep enjoying it. And sometimes it's because of space, whether it be moving in with a partner or friends, or having kids. I am not prone to expand on an existing house, I'd rather up and move to a bigger one.

Duplicates would not work for me, because when I get bored of a specific house, I am done with it, and then all of those families would have to move. I just don't see the fun in that, I like trying new layouts and setups. Just changing the furniture/wallpapers/floors is not enough for me, I want to try new room layouts as well. That said, I do download houses, I do not build all of them myself. If I did not like downloading and did not like building, perhaps I'd be more open to using the same lot multiple times, but as it is... nope.

I also really dislike the whole duplicate-concept in real life. I call them box villages. Identical boxes placed at specific distances, row after row. They are so disturbing! Even if families do make adjustments and with time it stops being quite so identical, you never really escape the box village feeling. There's just something eerie and wrong to me, with the set distance between each house yet each thing identical to the next. Sort of symmetry gone wrong. I'm more okay with it when the houses are attached to each other, I think the english term is row houses? If the exterior wall is the same across the whole row, without interruptions, then the symmetry becomes pleasing rather than disturbing, but as soon as there are gaps my mind goes "NOPE". While the boxes are practical and speed up house-building, I'm just never going to be a fan.

If you have questions on how to use SimPE or WW, you're welcome to PM me.
Instructor
Original Poster
#19 Old 13th Dec 2015 at 6:57 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 13th Dec 2015 at 8:12 PM.
Gummilutt
Actually, I don't like dublicates either, but when Im someone who prefer to have ALOT of sim families but loathe the building process,I don't think Ive much choice to do it.
For simmers who play with less than 20 families, building lots probably won't be a pain in the neck for them, compared to simmers who has 60+ families.

The picture in the first post is the closest way I could stand it, having the houses on different areas of the hood, rather than having them in a row. I do that occasionally for something I call "supporting families" that are families I only add to the hood so the others can have a spouse who are too closely related to the sim's relatives..I use now Fauwle in-law-fix maxi and extendedfamilypartial so they cant woo theirs in-law, aunts/uncles and great.grand-parents, so I need these extra sims, but won't pay attention to their lots and only age them up when needed. For their lots, I don't care if Ive 20 1x3 indentical row houses. I prefer them over apartments which I don't use anymore because apartments can be a big buggy sometimes. I also like them for my retired elder sims that I don't want to kill off.

Right now Im dublicate each lot 4 times and probably would do so now. Creating 4-5 lots for each "family style" (i.e. a few for farmers, a few for business men etc) and dublicate them.
My hood is classified into 10 social groups that has each different lifestyles and goals/rules, but thats mean I still need create 50 lots. Ive only ticked off one of the social groups, the farmers. 9 more to go.

As answering Joansarah comment whether Im happy about it. Well, to be honest I don't really know because I don't have much building experience.

EDIT:
Speaking on layout on starter houses for the larger families, I always end getting my lot value 50K+ for some reason, even if I don't use alot expensive stuff, except for the walk-in-wardrobe and the toilets.
The picture below is for my low class family oriented mechanics who start out with 50K but has to take a loan because the house cost 60K. I like add the master bedroom, kitchen, the room that will based on their lifestyle and bathrooms plus simple wall/floor paints and lighning but I don't include the kids room nor decorations as seen in the second picture.. My sims take loans if the house cost more than the starting funds so its not a big deal.

Oki-dokie, thats another lot ticked off to be dublicated from the next social groups. 44 to go. This going to take a while.