Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 30 (Who?), Viewed: 658 times.
Page 1 of 2
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 2:51 AM
Default Children in TS2
I've heard a lot of people say kids in TS2 don't have distinctive personalities and don't really seem like "kids." Do you find this to be the case in your game? Why/why not?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 2:53 AM
I think they seem like kids!
I don't necessarily think they have very distinctive personalities at that lifestage, but, particularly if you play with autonomy on, they often do funny, child-like things. They'll play with their parents, they'll play with other kids... They tend to be very imaginative, I think.

I used to not like playing kids, but lately I've really enjoyed them because I think they're so charming.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 2:57 AM
I'm guessing people who say that don't really play the game.

Polgannon Project - Hoo boy, nearly there.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 3:02 AM
I agree with maxon. Either they don't play the game or they play in such a way that they control everything their Sims do, every minute. To me, the Sim kids are quite spontaneous and definitely do things autonomously that are in line with their personalities...if you let them choose to do things autonomously, that is. I've actually come to really love the child stage and think that it's far too short. It's part of the reason why I use an aging mod in some of my neighborhoods, so that they have more time (32 days, in the case of the mod I use) to be children. To me, it's the toddlers who have less personality, meaning that, when left to their own devices, they'll all pretty much do the same things, regardless of their personalities. But when they hit the child stage, that's when you can really start to get to know them.

So I'm taking another stab at documenting a neighborhood. This one stars Benjamin Long. Pathetic attempts at humor can be found here.
I caved and made myself a Simblr. Woe is me. There are downloads available there that aren't here on MTS because I'm lazy that way.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 3:06 AM
Who are these 'lot's of people'? Certainly never seen posts here saying that. Of course they have personalities. They are certainly better behaved than the average rl child, but they can still fight, torment siblings and refuse to do their homework.

Double aging all the way. My bet is these people don't use enough free will or really watch and let their sims be. My kids have 14 days to be kids, which gives me the opportunity to see who they are.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives. - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#6 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 3:39 AM
have you seen sims 3 kids? OMG that was the main reason i went back to ts2...ts3 kids look sooooo scary.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 3:41 AM
From my experience, the kids in TS1/2 act like kids normally would. They're hyperactive obnoxious little shits that love to make messes. TS3/4 kids, not so much.

No one can match their fame. You know its these celebrities that bring to our culture pure shame.
And with misguided vanity our sins multiply - Self-admiration - do or die.
Well I guess I'll lose my life, because of my belief that no one is that perfect.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 3:56 AM
I agree with iCad. Children have plenty personality, whereas toddlers are pretty much the same (at least in my game). Children are hilarious. No two kids in any household of mine act the same. Specially noticeable in my orphanage, where there are too many kids for me to micromanage them all. The only common trait is that they all tend to visit the playground, but what they do there depends on the kid.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#9 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 4:03 AM
Kids which is the stage I really love in the Sims 2, act just like kids of that age group, and they all have their own distinctive personality. If they are brother and sister or just another friend they all act completely different.
I find some of the Sims kids can be very "nosey" when their parents have friends over for a visit, the kids stand around and listen.

It remind me of myself when I was a small child always standing around listening to grow up talking, until my mother ran me out of the room.
My mother would tell me after the guests leave to stay out of grow up business, that it was not nice, that I should go to my room or play. Did I listen ? No, the Sims kids do the same thing at times.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 4:38 AM
If you really think that, play an asylum with ACR and unmarried try for baby turned on. And only control your controlable adult.

You'll see so much come out when you can't touch them that you never knew was coded in them. Even my toddlers are different: I've got a set of twins right now where she'll accept a 'huggle' from him, but he won't accept one from her, and their relationships towards each other are very nearly the same number. Also she grabs the creativity toy all the time, while he tries to get the charisma toy from the other boy, and ends up having to settle for the logic toy.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#11 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 7:26 AM
Sims2 kids are great! There's solemn neatniks bustling around doing the dishes without being told, and making the bed very neatly and precisely right before jumping on it; slobs playing in bathroom puddles and giggling maniacally; kids spinning on the merry-go-round until they throw up and then demanding to be swung around; kids charging out to greet Daddy and demanding to be read to right now; kids who torment one little sibling and spoil the other rotten; ones who roll wants to do their homework every day and ones who hide it and hope it'll vanish on its own; kids who mouth off and kids who are almost prissily polite; kids who make evil snowmen and do the static trick, and kids who autonomously run interference between relatives who fight, distracting them.

Let me tell you about Silver Beech Hart. I'm doing an Uberhood Challenge with Rhett Hart, and Silver is the baby he leaves Widespot with. From the moment he grew up (looking exactly like his daddy and with only two points of personality difference) he's been working on his charisma and creativity, schmoozing the nanny and daddy's lady friends to get what he wants, and doing everything he can to come first with everybody. I'm playing lots of aging-off days to give Rhett plenty of time to find new babymamas and still be able to do things with his kids, so I've gotten to see how Silver reacts to two little brothers and a baby sister, while he's still a child and they're babies and toddlers. When he started collecting little brothers his nose was very much out of joint, and he was fond of tormenting Trent, the next one in line - when Rhett and the nanny couldn't see him doing it. Geoff, the one after Trent, was treated much better - Silver would tickle him and play peek-a-boo, and after he learned the nursery rhyme (Silver taught it to him and would get discouraged, clearly wanting Geoff to learn it before Trent did) would sit and sing it with him. Silver knows what's going on with the babymamas. He'll be friendly and chatty to women who come over, but if they're in the house at nightfall he'll go put himself to bed in the double, so they can't spend the night. When he does see Rhett kissing or in bed with one he'll cry and then he'll act out, but he and Daddy are a team and Rhett can always get him past it with a little focused attention. Silver is loyal to his mother and calls her at home, even though she never comes to see him.

Now that Trent is a child, Silver is sharing a room with him, but he's making it clear that he's the boss. They play very rough, throwing balls at each other's heads and pounding each other with pillows. Silver and Trent both love the static trick - I'd never seen it before, but I see it now! Silver is a slob, but will ostentatiously clean up other people's dishes with the air of someone aware that without him the whole household will fall into chaos and the neighbors will complain. Trent, also a slob, also cleans up dishes, but whereas Silver has this defiant air, Trent does it and looks to daddy or the current lady or the nanny for approval, clearly wanting to prove that he's a good boy.

Trent is a reader and as a toddler he ignored all the skilling toys except the bunny and occasionally the drawing table in order to play with the dollhouse and follow adults around demanding to be read to. Silver worked the bunny, the xylophone, and table hard, but he also wanted to be played with and taught his skills. Their little brother Geoff is also very similar in personality, and he likes being read to, but he's interested in all the skilling toys. And the commode. Silver never once played in the commode. Trent would follow people to the bathroom and show interest in it. But Geoff is a menace about it! These kids all have practically the same personality points, but it doesn't stop them from being distinct individuals right from the start.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . My most recent book is Sullivan, That Summer. Widespot and Widespot RFD: The Subhood are both available here. In case you care.)
Instructor
#12 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 7:30 AM
The Picaso twins crawled around all the time as toddlers and then ran around everywhere, even to the bathroom and back. They passed out quite early at night, sometimes on the floor! Little Nathan Gavigan preferred watching television. Pretty Tina Traveller charmed the socks off everyone even as a child. Sharla Ottomans liked to play catch with each and every Sim she could find. Gallagher Newson is a rather serious child, but Garret and Georgia are busy and charming as well. One of the Ramaswami kids jumps on the sofa or the bed as often as he gets the chance; the other one prefers to write in his diary.

So - OF COURSE they have distinctive personalities - besides being adorable.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 7:31 AM
I agree, I've seen different kids behave very distinctly, especially if you have a lot of kids in a single lot, you can really start to see the different personalities at play when you look at various siblings. Possibly the only exception might be the townie kids, and even then, there's variance. Yes, it's usually just a variance in shades of annoyance, but there's still a bit of variety! Sort of.

Hell, there are times when TS2 kids behave more "like kids" than real kids do sometimes. I work at a home furnishings store (some furniture, pillows and candles, lighting, etc., things like that) located in a mall, and last week, coming back from lunch, I saw a couple of girls standing outside one of the windows taking selfies of themselves with the mannequins in a window display for the show "Scandal." These kids were maybe 8 at the absolute oldest.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 8:41 AM
I am over playing my medieval hood right now and the twin babies grow to toddler and the older one will be a child tonight. So three toddlers. Both girls are happy to play with toys, with the younger girl playing a lot with the crab (body toy by Ja) and her hobby is fitness or sport, but it goes with her hobby. The boy on the other hand follows his parents about and is currently out in the dirt chewing on his hands as he watches his mother work. If you watch them and they have a variety of things to do you can see differences right from toddlerhood. Even as babies some will cry more and others less.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives. - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#15 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 8:42 AM
Kids are nice.

I'm one of those controlling players who only let them act on free will when I decide to. Which is kinda paradoxical I guess xD
I'm usually directing my Sims to do this or that (things that they must do such as cooking or cleaning) and it also applies to kids (for example, they must myke the bed unless the family has hired a maid or there is an stay-at-home adult who is in charge of such chores) but I leave them on their own when their chores are done so I guess it's the life stage which enjoys their free will the most (kinda realistic XD).
And they are defintely not all identical. Some of them are really cute indeed!
Field Researcher
#16 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 9:00 AM
I think they're fun, and they definitely start to show their personality already.

One of my favourite things is to move several families with kids into an apartment building, possibly one with a playground outside. The kids will spontaneously go and play with neighbor kids - I love it! It's so cute, fun, and the friends they make also help their parents at promotions :P
Mad Poster
#17 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 11:12 AM
My favorite kid moment was when Emma refused to target anyone but Joel in the snowball/water balloon fight (I forget which exactly). Five kids playing, everyone else throwing at everyone, but not Emma. She clearly wanted Joel to eat snow/water, and she made it happen. Repeatedly.
Scholar
#18 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 4:38 PM
I love sims 2 kids. They are great.

Livejournal: simsfreq.livejournal.com
Tumblr: simsfreq.tumblr.com

Co sleeper for babies/toddlers, and teen career overhaul (also custom schools): Here at simbology
Instructor
#19 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCad
I agree with maxon. Either they don't play the game or they play in such a way that they control everything their Sims do, every minute.

I do this, but I find that exactly because of this my children are distinct and interesting. Some embody the child archetypes, others are more like short grown ups or anything in between. And its not all planned out with no input from the characters, to the contrary, its amazing what little clues the sims can throw at you even if you deny them their free will. In the rare occasions they get free will (during a school trip for instance), I find that the kids react too similar and generic. The only exception was Dora Ottomas jnr., who, despite scoring above-average on outgoing, turned out to be a loner (incidentally that fits my image if her as a traumatized and grown up too fast character perfectly - she just cannot connect to children).
If theres a lifestage that has no real personalityin my game, then it is my toddlers. They seem to be there to be interacted with like objects.
Test Subject
#20 Old Yesterday at 12:23 AM
The children in sims 2 are wonderful, but it really depends a lot on how you play your game. If you micromanage everything and never allow your sims to develop autonomously, you'll see less interesting behavior. Your sims will mostly play the same if f you also force all your families to have the same personality and aspirations. I create my sims based on some story idea, and then marry any townie who they are interested in, this helps to encourage diversity.

Currently I'm playing 3 families and having a whole pile of fun. Me farming family are land rich and money poor and now live in a tent and bathe outdoors. I'm not surprised that no matter how hard they try, they aint making any babies, which has led the wife (family sim) to constantly be in red aspiration and worry and cry all the time. No children for them, I'm wondering if me guy is infertile for some reason, it's not looking good. Me middle class family have the good life. One lovely, happy active child, who is well loved, has her own bedroom and is affectionate with everyone. Bit of a worry for her mum though, cause these strange old men keep constantly trying to talk with her. I'm going to have to keep a close eye on that, cause it seems a little creepy to me. Pity that her dad is a romance sim, and has already cheated on her mother twice and has more love interests lined up. Also a pity that the parents work different shifts and all this happens when she gets home from school.

And lastly, the final family of a couple of twin toddlers, a recently pregnant mother, a father who won't stop crying and a cat who is so lonely that it won't go in the house anymore, and keeps attacking anyone who tries to play with her. She used to be such a nice cat, before the twins, and the new baby... Sigh... I'm trying hard to stop her from running away. But there is no time for that, the kids spend their time chasing mum and dad, but mum is always in the toilet or asleep, and dad won't stop crying long enough to play with them. They spend most of their time eating dog food, or sleeping in the pet house, because everyone is too tired, hungry, lonely or sad to give them time and hug them...And all of this with the best nanny ever. You can't walk in the house cause it's littered with diapers, bottles and tons of toys that they are not interested in.

Nope, they just want to sit and cry at the end of their parents bed, so no way of a little romancing to try to get dad's and mum's mood up. When the new baby was born, heck, no one apart from the nanny gave a damn for her, and cause she's in her parents room, she's always getting told off and lectured for some reason or other. But yes the kids have vitality. They are interested in nature just like their dad. The boy is more shy and quiet, and even as toddlers you can see his sister is more forward and demanding. I can't wait... I really can't wait.... and the parents also can't wait until they all become children, not only to help their parents get their sanity back, but to see just how they grow and develop.

No more I think... after this, mum and dad are selling the damn double bed and getting themselves some singles.
Forum Resident
#21 Old Yesterday at 12:35 AM
How weird; they've always seemed to act like real kids to me
Meet Me In My Next Life
#22 Old Yesterday at 1:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diovanlestat
The children in sims 2 are wonderful, but it really depends a lot on how you play your game. If you micromanage everything and never allow your sims to develop autonomously, you'll see less interesting behavior. Your sims will mostly play the same if f you also force all your families to have the same personality and aspirations. I create my sims based on some story idea, and then marry any townie who they are interested in, this helps to encourage diversity.

Currently I'm playing 3 families and having a whole pile of fun. Me farming family are land rich and money poor and now live in a tent and bathe outdoors. I'm not surprised that no matter how hard they try, they aint making any babies, which has led the wife (family sim) to constantly be in red aspiration and worry and cry all the time. No children for them, I'm wondering if me guy is infertile for some reason, it's not looking good. Me middle class family have the good life. One lovely, happy active child, who is well loved, has her own bedroom and is affectionate with everyone. Bit of a worry for her mum though, cause these strange old men keep constantly trying to talk with her. I'm going to have to keep a close eye on that, cause it seems a little creepy to me. Pity that her dad is a romance sim, and has already cheated on her mother twice and has more love interests lined up. Also a pity that the parents work different shifts and all this happens when she gets home from school.

And lastly, the final family of a couple of twin toddlers, a recently pregnant mother, a father who won't stop crying and a cat who is so lonely that it won't go in the house anymore, and keeps attacking anyone who tries to play with her. She used to be such a nice cat, before the twins, and the new baby... Sigh... I'm trying hard to stop her from running away. But there is no time for that, the kids spend their time chasing mum and dad, but mum is always in the toilet or asleep, and dad won't stop crying long enough to play with them. They spend most of their time eating dog food, or sleeping in the pet house, because everyone is too tired, hungry, lonely or sad to give them time and hug them...And all of this with the best nanny ever. You can't walk in the house cause it's littered with diapers, bottles and tons of toys that they are not interested in.

Nope, they just want to sit and cry at the end of their parents bed, so no way of a little romancing to try to get dad's and mum's mood up. When the new baby was born, heck, no one apart from the nanny gave a damn for her, and cause she's in her parents room, she's always getting told off and lectured for some reason or other. But yes the kids have vitality. They are interested in nature just like their dad. The boy is more shy and quiet, and even as toddlers you can see his sister is more forward and demanding. I can't wait... I really can't wait.... and the parents also can't wait until they all become children, not only to help their parents get their sanity back, but to see just how they grow and develop.

No more I think... after this, mum and dad are selling the damn double bed and getting themselves some singles.

@>> Divanlestat>> It seem from what you have said about your last family, I think what is most needed is "a cup of tea call love." And some family time for everyone in the household ( do a family outing the cat can go as well. )
You need to make the parents cook meats so the kids can "Stop" eating dog food, and why are you letting your Sims sleep in the dog house? Why is the Dad crying ? Did you check his needs ?

This family is a true example of a dysfunctional Sims family. If I was a Sims "Social Worker" that household would be the "first" stop I would make.
The sad thing about this family is the kids are the ones that are "Not" being raise properly and suffering I hope the mum don't have any more kids.
Now if you meant to play that household in that way it's your game do as you please, but shame on you.

Test Subject
#23 Old Yesterday at 5:57 AM
Thank you Simonut, my Sim parents are really trying, it's really not their fault. It went so wonderfully with the twins at first. They was born in the general hospital, with nurses doing everything and waiting on them hand and foot. The local government even provided a $2,000 baby grant. I think mum didn't get any practice in how to take care of them right from the start. Think the problem is the house is too small, they have wonderful nutritious meals, but nobody can get to it, cause the twins are always under foot and keep blocking the doorway entrances. I'm starting to think the kids have it all planned to take control and run everything. First they destroy the cat, and now they are working on making their parents hate their little sister. They seem to be very possessive, they aint used to sharing. ... sigh

mmm... don't worry about the cat food, cat don't eat it... I think she's got a death wish cause she's refusing to do much except lie down outside and sleep. Dad's wishes are useless, catch butterflies, escape on hiking trips or run away and go fishing. Nobody aint got no time for that, every spare hand is needed. They is very healthy looking children, even if they are missing most major skills. If the social workers ever come to visit... ppppfff... we'll just ask the neighbours to come over and clean everything before she gets there.

But yes, thanks for your help, probably mum should take dad out on a date or something and find out what is really bothering him, it can't just be butterflies and fishing.
Mad Poster
#24 Old Yesterday at 7:31 AM
Get yourself a toddler sleep mat and a never ending bottle and let the twins feed themselves and put themselves to bed. When they are awake direct them to play with blocks at an activity table to skill, build social and to keep them from being under foot. Have mum and dad go on a date right there in the bedroom, this will raise motives and aspiration.

~Call me Jo~
Meet Me In My Next Life
#25 Old Yesterday at 8:42 AM
@>>Diovanlestat >> Actually your story was really funny, but sad, the thing about the "Social Worker" you never know when she will come, when it comes to the kids if the kid are not care for you won't have time to stop her, the game will not let you. ( It's kind of like a lock down when the Social Worker comes around. ) just be sure the kids are not hungry and "not' left alone, if there is a teen in the house with the smaller kids it ok.

Here a link for a Social Worker Mod >> http://www.drealm.info/simlogical/s...2_Childcare.htm Be sure you read what it said about the mod and be sure you have the right EPs for it.
There is also other Mods on that link that you may be interest in when it comes to child care.

Also member >> joandsarah77 >> have share some good tips that could be helpful to you.

Page 1 of 2

Section jump