Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 25 (Who?), Viewed: 321 times.
Page 1 of 2
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old Yesterday at 5:29 PM
Least Favorite EP for Sims 2?
Hey,
I recently saw a video on YouTube that was a countdown for the Top 5 Worst Sims 3 Expansion Packs (Fan-Voted), and it made me curious as to what people thought of as the worst EP for the Sims 2. I wanna know your opinions! You can give me a top 5, your #1 least favorite, either is fine!

My least favorite would have to be Pets. I am an animal person, but I don't really think they're fun to play in The Sims. It's pretty much why I didn't really get a kick out of Unleashed for The Sims 1 either. Pets in The Sims are kind of boring in my opinion. Yeah, you can train them. But after that they're just more mouths to make my sim feed. Oh yeah, and the dogs wouldn't stop digging in my yard!

Anyway, what's your opinion??

I think that Mortimer Goth stole my social life..
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old Yesterday at 5:50 PM
Alchemist
#3 Old Yesterday at 6:01 PM
Prepare for the "I Hate Pets!" deluge!

But for me, it'd actually be Nightlife, I think. It's not that I don't like it -- In reality, if I can't have it all, I won't play because I'm a big, whiny, spoiled brat -- but Nightlife's main features that weren't subsequently carried over in later expansions are the ones I could live without most easily. Like cars. And the whole chemistry thing that I never pay attention to, anyway. And, really, dating in general. Pets, on the other hand, includes a couple of cheats that are rather essential to the way I build stuff and play. Plus, it has the caged birds, which I like because I get really REALLY tired of Sims standing there talking to themselves in mirrors to gain Charisma. :p

So I'm taking another stab at documenting a neighborhood. This one stars Benjamin Long. Pathetic attempts at humor can be found here.
I caved and made myself a Simblr. Woe is me. But hey! There's already stuff there that isn't here at MTS. :)
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old Yesterday at 6:02 PM
All have something I like, so it's hard to pick the least favorite.
I think I have to say Pets or Bon Voyage. I like a lot of the smaller features, but the pets can be a bit anoying at times, and I hadly ever send sims on vacations.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old Yesterday at 6:07 PM
Expansion Pack, not Stuff Pack huh? I use to think of Open for Business as being mostly useless; it added some items I liked, but that was it. However, after actually playing it and trying to do the Business stuff, I love it. I try and build up home businesses as often as I can. I've even built lots specifically designed for a home business, usually with living quarters on the second floor and business space on the first. I also LOVE the Robot Crafting Station; no home is complete without a SentryBot imo.

I think I'd have to agree about Pets though. Over all I find it very boring. I can't even think of anything off the top of my head that Pets added to the game that made it better. As much as I ever hated OfB, I knew it added some items I loved (like shelves). But Pets? I just can't think of anything... Seasons might be a close second though. It's fun sometimes, but Winter is really starting to annoy me. It's cute for a game-day or two, but that's it.

Every other EP brought something great to the game IMO.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old Yesterday at 6:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantWords
Seasons might be a close second though. It's fun sometimes, but Winter is really starting to annoy me. It's cute for a game-day or two, but that's it.

I kind of agree with you on that. But I do still like Seasons because it definitely expanded the gameplay, which some EPs don't really seem to do. I don't like the winter mainly cause the snow messes up my perfectly-landscaped yards, and also just cause I hate Winter in real life too.

But I do like the outdoor-activities they added, such as rollerskating and gardening.

I think that Mortimer Goth stole my social life..
Lab Assistant
#7 Old Yesterday at 6:46 PM
Did gardening come with Seasons? I'd swear that came with Freetime. That's the problem, I've had these all for so long I can't remember now what came with what lol. Over all I like Seasons (I think), but it also gets intrusive sometimes. Like right now I've got this couple I desperately want to get married, but I don't want to do it while it's snowing OR raining, which means waiting till Summer. I like outdoor weddings .And I swear these seasons take forever when you are really wanting something done. Winter really sucks over all because it stops one of my favorite things; fishing.
Theorist
#8 Old Yesterday at 8:22 PM
Gardening came with Seasons. I also hate the Pets EP. Sim cats and dogs drive me crazy, and it ticked me off that Sims would not stop rolling wants to obtain cats and dogs. It took over their want panel. Roll something else for once dammit.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old Yesterday at 8:41 PM Last edited by Thax : Today at 12:43 AM.
I'm also anti Pets, in spite of being a huge animal lover. They can be cosy to have around and all, but ultimately, my Sims tend to be extremely busy and I'm an over-achiever so I can't allow any sim or pet of mine to be in a bad mood. That makes it much too stressful for me to have to constantly bathe, pet, feed and train my dog in order for it to stay jolly.

I'm slightly torn between Pets and Nightlife though. Attraction to me is just irritating and an obstacle to overcome when I make a couple I plan to have marry each other. Especially with all my male sims being generated with a homosexual gender preference that doesn't seem to change (ever). Dating, I suppose can be 'fun' once in a while, but I have never in my entire life created one of those... social.. group thingies (see? I even forgot what they're called). I like the idea of vampires within the game, but never really got to play them. I tend to be too occupied turning sims into cash registers and making sure they learn every single thing possible within all expansions.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old Yesterday at 9:08 PM
Pets, because I never have pets in my game.
Free Time, because again I never use the stuff.
Scholar
#11 Old Yesterday at 10:15 PM
I think they all have a high standard, but Pets, because I rarely use Pets.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old Yesterday at 11:05 PM
I guess Bon Voyage, just because I sold it ages ago when I thought I wouldn't need to install it again (Yeah I was an idiot who thought I wouldn't ever have to buy a new PC ever -.- but I was like 11 so whatever) and have never rebought it, not even when rebuying my whole collection after I moved to University. I like a few things that came with it, and I'd find it annoying how they don't age whilst on vacation - which is a pain for rotational playing, plus even when I did have Bon Voyage I never took my Sims on holiday, only to sunbathe. Though I would kinda like to rebuy it and explore the game properly...

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Test Subject
#13 Old Today at 12:26 AM
Pets. Rarely use pets at all.
Pre made families with pets are annoying to play.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old Today at 1:09 AM
My least favorite EP for The Sims 2 would be The Sims 2: Seventy-Story Shoot-Out. Your Sims get a phone call from the Chief of Police telling them that there's a hostage situation at Nakomiru Plaza, so then your Sims get to choose their body armor and weaponry as soon as the SWAT van comes by and picks them up. I usually pick the kevlar duster coat with ceramic trauma plates, the chain whip for hand-to-hand and the dual Calico 9mm handguns so I can go longer without reloading, even though you're screwed if the Calicos jam in the middle of a firefight. It's all close-quarters fighting, so the Dragunov sniper rifle is a waste of Simoleons; don't bother with it. Then the SWAT van drops your Sims off at the first floor of Nakomiru Tower, and you'd better be ready to juggle your Sims, watch their Needs and micromanage the blue hell out of them, because then you have to breach the barricades, make entry and shoot your way through mobs of terrorists without hitting any of the hostages. You'll usually roll up a Fear of shooting a hostage several times during the mission, and it's a 5,000-point doozy, so check your fire. But if the Unsavory Charlatan shows up, screw that guy. I'll gladly eat that Fear on his behalf. So then, if you're on your toes and everything goes well, your Sims show up on the rooftop right as Boss Greasenballer is escaping in his helicopter. That's pretty much the only time you really need that sniper rifle, but if you have at least 90 seconds left on the clock, his helicopter's usually still close enough where you can just load every last 9mm tracer round in each Sim's Inventory, aim for the engine housing and go completely ballistic. Then you bring down the helicopter in a snazzy cutscene and the Chief of Police gives your family 50,000 Simoleons for a job well done.

But the action sequences seem heavily scripted, and the whole mission is railroaded from top to bottom, leaving little room for ingenuity or personal initiative. It's also too easy to get stuck in the elevators, thanks to a bug, and it's way too easy to walk into a terrorist mob's fatal funnel if you take the stairs. Expect to see the Grim Reaper a lot if this happens. Also, maybe I'm just too much of a prude, but the degree of violence in Seventy-Story Shoot-Out just doesn't feel right for a Sims game. Plus, Bigfoots can't fit inside the SWAT van, so you have to leave them behind, which really sucks a heap. Servos are death incarnate, though, so put as many Servos on your crack team as you can.

...what's that? Seventy-Story Shoot-Out doesn't even exist? Well, then, neither does my least favorite Expansion Pack for The Sims 2. ;-P
Instructor
#15 Old Today at 1:18 AM
There seems to be a growing consensus, both on this thread, and on a few others that have cropped up over the last few weeks, that Pets is the weakest of TS2's EPs. I agree with the growing consensus.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
Are you really surprised we lied about having cookies?
Of course you don't get a cookie!
Lab Assistant
#16 Old Today at 1:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra
There seems to be a growing consensus, both on this thread, and on a few others that have cropped up over the last few weeks, that Pets is the weakest of TS2's EPs. I agree with the growing consensus.

Play a werewolf. You will make Pets your very best friend if you play a werewolf.

Hey, that reminds me: If you have both Pets and Open for Business, can't you sell dogs and cats through a business? Combine that with the ease of breedings dogs and cats, and you could have your own self-sustaining enterprise. I'll have to try that. My wretched and dismal yet utterly lucrative puppy mill awaits! >:]
Lab Assistant
#17 Old Today at 2:32 AM
See, I don't think Pets is all that weak. You get dogs, cats, and if I remember birds and other such?

Not to mention you can train them and they can actually have jobs. Would I have wanted to have more jobs for them? Of course. But I think the interactions and animations are really fun. I suppose I'm a sucker for the little details.
Instructor
#18 Old Today at 2:36 AM
Pets for me. I like real animals but my Sims are almost like my virtual pets and it feels a little weird for my fake pets to have pets of their own.
Scholar
#19 Old Today at 2:52 AM
Bon Voyage, Pets, and University were the three I often sacrificed in order to allow my computer to run The Sims. Vacations got boring fast, I'm not big on pets IRL, and University was from the others having more of an impact on my gameplay.

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
#20 Old Today at 2:56 AM
Isn't there a sticky for this?

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old Today at 3:39 AM
This is funny; the' Pets-dislike' is pretty much the same as on the original TS2 BBS! It was always such a love-it-or-hate-it EP, which makes me confused why people were screaming for pets + weather in the TS4 base game. I think there's a significant amount of people who would not want Pets in any base game (*raises hand*). Unless they were greatly improved. But this is EA we're talking about here; they can't even put toddlers in their base game now.

(I do remember Uni getting a lot of grief too, but I think that was only from the people who didn't know about or use the college adjustor. Personally I love that EP without the mod but I will use it on occasion.)

I never could stand the animals in Unleashed so I refused to buy Pets for TS2 (the only EP or SP I did not have, until the UC gave it to me free last week. ).

So, out of the ones I did have, I'd have to say that Bon Voyage was the most blah. I liked the furniture and that was pretty much the only reason I kept it installed at first. It's grown on me over time as I played with it more. I set a goal to send one of my alphabetacy branches on a vacation every couple generations or so in order to waste all that cash they'd accrued. I'd buy everyone themed outfits depending on where they were going and drag them all on tours and see who could earn the most travel mementoes. One of my favorite vacations was when I sent all the elder women in my megahood (all premades) on a trip together. Oh my goodness, that was a bad idea. Let's just say that by the end of it, Olive had kicked the ass of every single one of her trip-mates. I think Dora was the only one who didn't have multiple enemies. And it was completely autonomous too; I did nothing but watch and laugh. Crap. Maybe I don't dislike BV as much as I thought!

The only other EP I wasn't especially fond of was Apartment Life, I think because I never liked the size of the apartments. They're the one thing I could never get used to, nor did I ever bother to build my own. And how they threw witches in; that was an odd juxtaposition.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old Today at 3:42 AM
It's not that I don't like the Pets expansion but if I HAD to choose an expansion to sacrifice, that or Nightlife would be it. I could never sacrifice apartments, weather, gardening, hobbies and freetime activities and ESPECIALLY not my businesses. Pets on the other hand are a cosy addition to the household, but nevertheless, they're just kinda..... there.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old Today at 4:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinarunine
See, I don't think Pets is all that weak. You get dogs, cats, and if I remember birds and other such?

Yep. Birdies came with Pets too (the large, tropical kind, like parrots and macaws). You can teach them how to talk, after which they're a faster way to build both Charisma and Nature enthusiasm. I like to listen to my Sims teaching parrots how to speak. "Waukiss!" "Rrrrawk...wauuukussss!" "Waukiss!" "Wawwwkiss!" "Waukiss?" *parrot ignores the Sim and goes back to eating bird seed*

I also like to leave the cages open so the birds can get out and fly all over the house. As long as you leave the cage open, they can get back in and eat with no problem. And don't forget to refill their food dishes and clean their cages when needed, or you could end up with a dead parrot. Insert Monty Python joke here. :P
Lab Assistant
#24 Old Today at 5:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzatron-9000
Yep. Birdies came with Pets too (the large, tropical kind, like parrots and macaws). You can teach them how to talk, after which they're a faster way to build both Charisma and Nature enthusiasm. I like to listen to my Sims teaching parrots how to speak. "Waukiss!" "Rrrrawk...wauuukussss!" "Waukiss!" "Wawwwkiss!" "Waukiss?" *parrot ignores the Sim and goes back to eating bird seed*

I also like to leave the cages open so the birds can get out and fly all over the house. As long as you leave the cage open, they can get back in and eat with no problem. And don't forget to refill their food dishes and clean their cages when needed, or you could end up with a dead parrot. Insert Monty Python joke here. :P

I loved that the pets give Sims social need. :3 And you can teach the large birds to talk~ I loved that, too.

In fact the only thing I didn't like was when my sims went to work and the cat / dog destroyed furniture. I lost so much money this way. ;A;
Lab Assistant
#25 Old Today at 8:28 AM
Yeah, you definitely have to drill it into their heads with repeated Scolds. Cats seem to be easier to manage than dogs are in that regard, though; just plunk down a scratching post or a kitty palace and the cats will usually leave your furniture alone...usually.

Distraction is generally useful for keeping dogs and cats from trashing your stuff. Cats have a Scratch Need (which can be satisfied by those scratching posts and kitty palaces), while dogs have a Chew Need (which can be satisfied by leaving chew toys and old bones lying around, so your Sims can get some extra mileage out of digging for treasure if they own a dog). Leaving catnip mice around for the cats can also incapacitate them for a while; once they get "high" on catnip, they start seeing stars, chasing their own tails and passing out from dizziness and exhaustion, which means that they're not tearing up your prized leather sofa in the meantime. But eventually the cats will destroy all of your catnip mice, and then they'll remember that they were so busy satisfying their Fun with the mice that they still have a Scratch need to satisfy, so be prepared for that.
Page 1 of 2

Section jump