Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 69 (Who?), Viewed: 1705 times.
Page 1 of 3
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 6:58 PM
Default Universal code to get The Sims 2 UC, for FREE!
From the ‘Games’ tab in the Origin menu, select ‘Redeem Product Code’ and enter the code I-LOVE-THE-SIMS

If you’re already an Origin member, you can also redeem your code online. Just visit the Origin code redemption page and log in to your Origin Account.
Then enter I-LOVE-THE-SIMS in the ‘Product Code’ field.

http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-t...ate-collection/

Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 7:05 PM
I'm shocked that EA is actually giving us an entirely free collection... Something can't be right here...

Why did the chicken cross the road? Because place_free(x+4,y);
Scholar
#3 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 7:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesammy58
I'm shocked that EA is actually giving us an entirely free collection... Something can't be right here...

Yes. It's called The Sims 4. They are in full CYA mode.

EDIT: Sims 4 is regarding the "Something can't be right here" part, not the free collection part.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 7:13 PM
Quote:

Yes, i'm sad because I bought all original games and now they are giving it for FREE.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 7:23 PM
Meh, if I didn't already have all EPs/SPs, I'd just see this as a license to go and pirate anything I didn't already have. That way, you have everything and you DON'T have Origin/SecuRom on your machine if you don't want it/don't already have it.

Because kattenijin is right: It's a PR move designed to get more people on Origin, particularly those stubborn TS2-onlies who refuse(d) to put Origin on their computers. Origin is a huge advertising vehicle for EA, so now they've probably got a good chunk more active Origin users to spam. Basically, they're waving a big old carrot around and people are grabbing it. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course; I'm just a cynic who sees it for what it is, is all. And giving it away is no skin off EA's back, since they're no longer selling/making money off the games themselves. This way, people won't use the secondary market so much and will instead put Origin on their machines to get the games, which is a Very Good Thing for EA. In fact, it's likely far more valuable than actually the selling the game. Giving it away gets far more butts in the Origin seats, and Origin is (now) their future.

So I'm taking another stab at documenting a neighborhood. This one stars Benjamin Long. Pathetic attempts at humor can be found here.
I caved and made myself a Simblr. Woe is me. But hey! There's already stuff there that isn't here at MTS. :)
Inventor
#6 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 7:26 PM
Quote:

You're darn right something can't be right here! I'm getting quite suspicious...

But then again, I'm still not pleased until they release that "Ultimate Fix Patch" I keep talking about, that fixes all corruption issues and bugs and glitches... so I can hopefully remove all of these bug-fixing mods!
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 7:31 PM
Egads. I tried it, thinking I would be prompted to download Origin. I didn't expect to get anything

I still haven't downloaded Origin, but I redeemed the code? (I checked my computer's folders. No Origin. I would think it's somewhere, correct? I don't think an Origin download takes two seconds without any prompt, without being in your computer's Download folder, and without a trace on your machine!)

Odd.

Well, EA already has my FB game account because of Sims Social and SimCitySocial. They spam me occasionally, but not that often. Guess they will now. They can have fun. I rarely check that account, and if the spamming increases, I'll block 'em.

I'll keep the code for safekeeping if I did get it, and HOPE it doesn't expire in the next few years or so. I'm certainly not downloading Origin to get this. I like my current setup. As is.

But thanks for the tip!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 7:39 PM
Bottom of the page: "This code will available for redemption until July 31st, 2014 at 10AM PDT."
Just so you know.

I think you have to download and install Origin, and that you'll find the download in the Origin program.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 7:43 PM
Oh. Oopsie. Thanks for the info.

That's what I get for "And what does THIS button do?"

I probably won't redeem it, BTW. I was just curious.

Mad Poster
#10 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 7:45 PM
I would think you would need to download Origin and then download the UC if order for anything to happen. Redeeming a code on Origin just means that EA is aware that you have a game with that code and, if there's exclusive content associated with the code, it will allow you to download that content.

I have Origin because I ended up taking advantage of the sale that EA had on TS3. I decided I wanted to try building in the game, but did not want to do the CC thing with TS3. So I bought all of the EPs for it so I'd have all the Maxis stuff. I'd bought a couple EPs and one SP on sale at a local Walmart, but the EA sale was even better and I completed the collection that way. So yes, when I went to download the EPs I'd bought, Origin downloaded/installed first. So, I'm guessing that it's downloading the game that will prompt Origin to install if you don't already have it, not just redeeming the code on EA's site. Redeeming the code just gives you access to the game.

So I'm taking another stab at documenting a neighborhood. This one stars Benjamin Long. Pathetic attempts at humor can be found here.
I caved and made myself a Simblr. Woe is me. But hey! There's already stuff there that isn't here at MTS. :)
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 7:50 PM
I logged into Origin via the webpage, and redeemed the code.
I've got Origin installed from my TS3 game, but I've never used it, and it doesn't want to start without prompting for an update. Haven't updated it since it was installed...
Forum Resident
#12 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 7:53 PM
Someone got sick and tired of all the customer calls being about TS2 Ultimate and went "Sod it! Just toss them a goddamn code to redeem for the game!", perhaps? :P
Mad Poster
#13 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 7:55 PM
Yeah, good luck with that, simmer22. I had the hardest time getting Origin to update when it first installed. It would download and install then want to update, which was a fairly large update. So, I'd wait for the update to download and then when it went to install it it would go "Not responding." I finally fixed it by uninstalling Origin completely and then redownloading it solo from the site, so that I guess I got an updated version. Because it wouldn't update all by itself. Maybe it's just my machine and older operating system but...it was still a pain. I came very close to just saying "Screw this." But since I'd dumped quite a bit of money into buying all the EPs...

Lab Assistant
#14 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 8:01 PM
It worked for me, I just redeemed that code and it appeared in my games ready to download. Good luck to you all.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 8:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by k6ka
You're darn right something can't be right here! I'm getting quite suspicious...

But then again, I'm still not pleased until they release that "Ultimate Fix Patch" I keep talking about, that fixes all corruption issues and bugs and glitches... so I can hopefully remove all of these bug-fixing mods!

Yes! That would be perfect! Not all Simmers are going to know what to do when suddenly their neighborhood gets corrupt, their game gets stuck in 800x600 resolution mode, or when their's a big black box underneath everyone. I just wish EA would release one last patch before it's too late.

Why did the chicken cross the road? Because place_free(x+4,y);
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
staff: administrator
#16 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 8:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katya Stevens
Someone got sick and tired of all the customer calls being about TS2 Ultimate and went "Sod it! Just toss them a goddamn code to redeem for the game!", perhaps? :P

Makes sense - I think they may have gotten a lot more response than they were expecting to giving it away if you'd bought TS2 previously, and that's a lot of time for customer service to be spending on the phone and in chat requesting photos of your game disks and stuff. Easier to just give it away, since the whole point seems to be getting people on Origin so they can be advertised to, and people seem to be clamoring to sign up to get their free TS2.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
YOUR BUTTHURT SUSTAINS ME.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 8:16 PM
I don't see how offering sims2 free will persuade people to buy sims4. I don't have the money so definitely not in my plans. I wish I could get UC on my other pc but the internet connection on it burnt out.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Chardonnay in one hand, chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO HOO . . WHAT A RIDE!!!"
Instructor
#18 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 8:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaz
Yes, i'm sad because I bought all original games and now they are giving it for FREE.

I'm not. I actually own them all, and multiple copies of some of them. But, I've also had them since the original release dates. I can see how someone might be sad if they just recently stocked up on the games.

Personally, it's nice to see people who have never played, or who didn't have to entire collection, now get the chance to have it all.

After all, It has been 10 years since the base game came out, and almost 6 yrs since the last game for TS2 was released. So, no hard feelings here, as I've more than gotten my monies worth.

Enjoy the free game, everyone (especially if you didn't already own any of them).

"Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections."
Scholar
#19 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 8:22 PM
I'm very curious to know what will happen after the 31st when that code is no longer redeemable. Will they start selling the Sims 2 UC on Origin for $9.99 or something? Or will it no longer be available entirely?

Anyways, I'm downloading it now. I've had every single EP and SP except the "Holiday Pack" or whatever it is, so I guess I'll have that now.

I started a "Random Legacy"! Read the first chapter here.
Forum Resident
#20 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 8:23 PM
Yesterday on reddit, someone posted a detailed tutorial of how to talk EA support into giving you TS2 even if you'd never owned the game. It involved finding serial keys and pictures of the boxes on the internet, and then just whining/trying repeatedly until a CSR gave up and gave you UC.

Maybe that was their final straw.

TS2 Ultimate Collection: How to Get EA to Cough it Up
TS2 Ultimate Collection: Help & Tips

...it seemed to be a game about watching other people sitting around the house, on a computer. It just seemed so lame. - Rod Humble on his first impression of "The Sims".
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 8:24 PM Last edited by EmeraldFalcon : 23rd Jul 2014 at 8:38 PM.
This is excellent. Win-win for me, as I don't see myself ever installing Origin--all I wanted was a backup copy in case something happened to my physical discs. Now I have that on my Origin account, and I never had to download or install Origin; I was able to do it all through the website. I especially like the fact that I don't think I really gave them what they wanted, since I didn't install it. :P

http://kahonseecity.livejournal.com/ < - New Prosperity Challenge. Last update: 6/9/14
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 8:25 PM
I'm just planning to have it as a backup, in case my CDs stop working. Not planning to install it now, because why replace something that isn't broken?
Forum Resident
#23 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 8:29 PM
I got the UC during the first wave, but I'll just say again I'm very happy that I never again have to do the Dance of a Thousand ISOs.

TS2 Ultimate Collection: How to Get EA to Cough it Up
TS2 Ultimate Collection: Help & Tips

...it seemed to be a game about watching other people sitting around the house, on a computer. It just seemed so lame. - Rod Humble on his first impression of "The Sims".
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 8:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeS5678
I'm very curious to know what will happen after the 31st when that code is no longer redeemable. Will they start selling the Sims 2 UC on Origin for $9.99 or something? Or will it no longer be available entirely?

That is what I'm curious about. Will Sims 2 be completely gone? Will EA tote it out now and again? Or will it be available for a price?

Instructor
#25 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 8:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duine
I don't see how offering sims2 free will persuade people to buy sims4. I don't have the money so definitely not in my plans. I wish I could get UC on my other pc but the internet connection on it burnt out.

A person may not buy The Sims 4, but they might buy something else instead. Money is money, and that's what EA wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeS5678

I think the backlash of making it unavailable all together, would be too much for them to deal with at the moment.

Not everyone is going to realize they can get the code hassle free, by next week. And they've already had enough people getting disgruntled about TS4, the CAS Demo for TS4 and so on.

So, I could definitely see them selling it, but who am I kidding, it is EA, so they probably will do something ridiculous like make it unavailable.

"Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections."
Page 1 of 3

Section jump