1 people viewing

frogz2007

There are also 0 guests viewing too.

Replies: 10 (Who?), Viewed: 163 times.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old Today at 3:51 AM
Default The Sims 2 in ReactOS
In case you don't know what ReactOS is, it is a free, open source operating system that is essentially a clone of Windows Server 2003, and as such, it can run Windows programs and games as long as it supports XP (it uses a lot of code from Wine; A Linux program that lets you run some Windows programs). The OS itself is in alpha, and as such, isn't recommended to install on a PC just yet. Well, I tried Sims 2 just out of curiosity, and the oh-so fun error, "D3DERR_INVALIDCALL!" error was thrown in my face. That didn't stop me from doing something that others have done with the Wine source code in Linux; Editing the vertex shader constant from 256 to 1024. I located the file in the ReactOS source code, changed it from 256 to 1024, compiled it, tried running it again, and.... It worked! However,the game has a ton of issues, such as it going at very slow speeds when going in-game, and the Sims themselves are not animated, they're texture-less, and the objects are texture-less. It may run a bit faster on real hardware (I'm running it all in Virtualbox). Anyways, if you want to see a video of the game, here it is.

Video

Big Boss is watching you.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old Today at 4:19 AM
If it's based on Wine, you'll have problems. TS2 doesn't run on Wine past the base game, and never has. (The base game doesn't work all that great either.) Source: A friend who is a professional computer programmer, avid gamer, and Linux expert.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: The Fantabulous Newsons on 5/3/15
Mad Poster
#3 Old Today at 6:54 AM
Screenshots
Test Subject
#4 Old Today at 8:56 AM
Welp, if nothing else it looks funny. I doubt you'll get it to run though.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old Today at 4:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmeiolanthe
If it's based on Wine, you'll have problems. TS2 doesn't run on Wine past the base game, and never has. (The base game doesn't work all that great either.) Source: A friend who is a professional computer programmer, avid gamer, and Linux expert.

It never ran in Wine unless you did this specific hack and compiled it yourself, and it DOES run with all expansion packs, and not just the base game. I have a video of the game with all expansion/stuff packs installed

With all expansions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6IRyzXN7vA

With no expansions (it runs great, besides the "Red-Sim syndrome):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsft9BtyFWs

Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old Today at 9:36 PM
You can call that running if you want to, I suppose -- it's not actually crashing -- but I can't think of a single person (other than you, apparently, since you seem to be pleased with the results) who would consider that to be anything other than horribly broken and unacceptable.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old Today at 10:08 PM
What do you mean? It runs. Simple as that. If it executes, then it is running.

Theorist
#8 Old Today at 10:10 PM
Your game looks like a horror movie, I would never be able to see my sims flash red and walk like ghosts/zombies
Forum Resident
#9 Old Today at 10:15 PM
There is a world of difference, it seems than running and running well
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old Today at 10:18 PM
As I say, it isn't actively crashing, but it is not running the way it is supposed to run. If something is filled with non-functional animations, flashing flat colors, ugly spiky meshes that look nothing like they are supposed to, missing wall covers, and malformed cursor shapes depending on what is being interacted with, then it is horribly broken and unacceptable. If I paid for a game that looked like that, I would demand an immediate refund.

This is not the first time you have enthusiastically championed something ridiculously broken, although this time you do appear to not be advocating for something that will actively corrupt other people's games, so that's progress. However, I will not answer any future post you make.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old Today at 10:33 PM
Listen here. I am not gonna take this. All I did was show that the game can work in this operating system. Simple as that. End of discussion.

Section jump