Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 17549 (Who?), Viewed: 1048929 times.
Page 702 of 702
Mad Poster
#17526 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 8:55 PM
Apparently not. So you can relax about the VBT - there's no reason to think so, and if it is, no one knows what to do to fix it. Unless your game starts throwing fits, be happy that it's gone away.

The thing is, this is a really, really complex game here; and we're all piling additional complexity onto it, not only by modding, but by playing in individual, idiosyncratic ways. Random glitches arise in all programs, and most of them don't mean anything that the human mind is capable of figuring out given the resources at hand; and most of them don't matter too much. Because the code is so complex, a lot of us will get random glitches no one ever saw before, because they don't have your particular setup with your particular background programs running, on a Tuesday, when the air conditioner is on the fritz and Jupiter is aligned with Mars. Chaos theory applies. You fix them, and move on.

Think of it as hiccups. Unless you get hiccups a lot, you don't worry about why you got them. You know they are extremely unlikely to kill you. So you deal with them.

To prevent paranoia about Very Bad Things - these are things that result in major disruptions in the code. The biggest bad things we know about involve incomplete removal of data, so that bits and pieces are left lying around ready to hook up to other bits and pieces that happen to have open hooks. (This is what happens when you delete a sim.) The other involves random changes to game coding, which can have unpredictable repercussions for your entire game installation. (This is what happens when you move in Mrs. Crumplebottom or actually woohoo the Grim Reaper.) All other damage is minor and can be fixed, often by deleting a bad piece of code by deleting a piece of custom content or bulldozing a (tombstoneless) house.

There is no reason to panic over every little error. Relax, back up frequently, and enjoy your game.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . My most recent book is Sullivan, That Summer. Widespot and Widespot RFD: The Subhood are both available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#17527 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSimgirl2011
Just reposting in case anyone could help me.
Still haven't figured it out yet.

Thank you in advance.

You may need to set up the path if Clean Installer is sending it to the wrong place.

Quote:
Quote Mootilda

The Clean Installer is probably having problems finding the save game. You can find out where it believes that the save game is by trying to install something; then check out the installation path.

You can edit the S2PCI.ini file using Notepad and set the save game path. Just change:
SaveGamePath=
to:
SaveGamePath="C:\Users\<userid>\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2"
or whatever your actual save game path is.

After that, the default should always be correct.

if you put S2PCI.ini down in your search bar it should find it.

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#17528 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 6:09 AM
Hi there, I'm back with some other novice/(probably)stupid and silly questions...

The last few days I'm trying to get to the point of rotation between different families in the same neighborhood and I think I'm doing it. But playing my game with the Aspir family in Desiderata Valley I'm starting to face some problems. The first daughter, Pauline, is an adult now, she has graduated college with honours and is patiently waiting in the families' bin for me to move her in a house and play her again. Now I'm just waiting for the second daughter, Tiffany, who was born after I started playing the family, to finish school and go to university too (she is still a child).
Buuuut... Elizabeth every single day rolls the want to talk to Pauline on the phone and the game tells me that she can't because "you can't call someone without a phone" (I'm like "stupid game, Pauline has a mobile phone and she knows how to use it so pretend that her mother can talk to her even if she is in the bin" but probably EA doesn't allow that!!!) and she has another problem too... She can't clean the dishes after a meal. She can move leftovers to the fridge but she can't wash dirty dishes and I have no idea why this is happening or when it started. By the way, she is so happy now that she started to work again (I had her quit her job when I first started playing the family because I always want a parent at home when there are babies or toddlers and I hate babysitters because I can't control them and I'm going crazy!). Then I realized that in the Sims 2 you have to have a "nanny" for a child who can go out of the house alone but it can't stay alone in the house (stupid EA, you never stop to amaze me!) even for 3 freaking hours (Tiffany comes home from school at 3 p.m., Victor comes from work at 6 p.m., big deal!!!). But I can live with that, it's only 3 days until Tiffany's birthday so I'll get rid of that old woman who calls herself a "nanny" but the only thing she can do is to turn on the stereo playing latin (God, I always hated latin, she probably does that on purpose!) and do the... smustle!!!
My other problem is that Luis finally died! I was waiting for him to die from the beginning but now that they live in a bigger house and Pauline has moved out I actually didn't want him to (he was a biiiiig source of money with his retirement pension and the fact that I had him restore cars which we sold afterward, this family has sooooo much money now!). But he did die in his bedroom in front of the mirror (he wanted a charisma skill point!), I was a bit frozen because I had never seen someone die in the Sims 2 (with hula dancers following the Grim Reaper, lol!) and I didn't have the time even to try and fulfil his want to "escape death". And now Luis is haunting the house every single freaking night and I can't stand it! I always had a problem with ghosts (they simply give me the creeps!) even when I tried to play them in the Sims 3 (Moonlight Falls, the household with the ghost, the vampire and the werewolf) I simply couldn't.
So, what do I do now??? Where is the freaking graveyard in Desiderata Valley and how do I move the tombstone there? (that's what I do in the Sims 3, when someone dies, another sim from the household goes for a ride at the graveyard with the tombstone and the ghost has a new home with more ghosts to play together!). If I move the family at another house, Luis will follow them too even if his tombstone stays there??? Help me please...

P.S. I have more questions about moding out (is that the right way to say it??) some totally annoying things but Luis as a ghost is more important now because I'm not playing the family until I figure out what to do with him and Tiffany has to grow up...
Forum Resident
#17529 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 6:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by natbsim75
Then I realized that in the Sims 2 you have to have a "nanny" for a child who can go out of the house alone but it can't stay alone in the house (stupid EA, you never stop to amaze me!)

First, just to help you see this better, a child cannot..go out of the house alone, in the Sims2. The only time they leave the house alone is when the school bus comes, or when they walk TO school. Yeah ok..I give you that, the child is trusted enough to walk..to school. But that's it. If you want them to visit a community lot for instance, you can only add them to a group of adults or teen. "Walk to lot" option does not show up for child sims.
They will roll the want to go for a hike..but will only be able to go if an adult or teen goes and ask them to come along.
So no...they actually cannot leave the house alone.

For calling sims in the bin, try this link...

http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php?topic=7875.0
Under "personal favorites" the 7th one...is the one you want.
You might also find a bunch of useful mods for service sims, nanny and etc. Give it a try.

That ghost...must have a urn somewhere INside his house since he died in it right?
If you pick it up and place it OUTside the house, it should turn into a tombstone. That tombstone can be clicked on and then you'll get the option to move it to...(choose the community lot)
That would be the easiest.

Je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)
Test Subject
#17530 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 9:46 AM
Thank you Rosebine...

I had absolutely no idea about the fact that children can't stay home alone (still trying to play The Sims 3 when I'm actually playing The Sims 2, lol!!). But I still find it kinda stupid (not your answer, the way the game deals with that!). What destruction or in what accident can a child get involved with when it is alone that an adult (a sim-adult!) can't??? During the first day Tiffany was a child and I hadn't a nanny I got the pop-up saying that "it is not a good idea for Tiffany to be alone" and I was so scared that a social worker would come and take her away... Those were the longest 3 sim-hours I ever had playing the sims' game (actually I had more of them the last time I had a babysitter in the Sims 3 and the baby almost died from hunger until the teen boy of the family came home from school but that's off topic!) waiting for Victor to come home. The next day when the "nanny" came, poor Tiffany was just trying to take a nap on the couch because she was exhausted and that freaking old lady was waking her up dancing and screaming (the way sims scream when they do the smustle!) above her head (I finally sent Tiffany to sleep in her bed to save her from the situation). And when Victor finally came home at 6 p.m. the... dancing "nanny" refused to leave because Elizabeth who had hired her in the first place was coming home at 9 p.m. But I think that Elizabeth not being home yet was just an excuse for the "nanny", she had just fallen in love with the stereo and the... smustle!

About Luis' ghost, yes he died in the house, his urn was at the spot where he was standing and I moved it outside in the back yard and it did turn to a tombstone. This is where the ghost comes out from and comes in the house and haunts everything. I will do what you told me about moving it out of the lot but where can I take it? I mean, is there an actual graveyard in the Sims 2 hoods or I will have to choose an empty lot, name it "graveyard" and move tombstones there? And how? Like the Sims 3, in a sim's inventory?

And thank you for the link about the mods but I don't have any mods in my game yet and I'm a little scared to try because I play the game only for about a week now and I haven't messed up with the game's files (yet!). It took me more than 2 years to finally have mods in my sims 3 game so... you can get an idea of what I'm talking about.
Elizabeth wanting to call Pauline is not a big deal for my game right now but what I have absolutely come to hate and want to find a way to stop it from happening are, actually, two things: The first is that stupid thing all sims with the family aspiration do when they come home from work and their children have to drop everything they do to go outside by the mail box and hug them and the second is the hobby lots' instructors (or whatever way they are called) bursting in the sims' homes any time of day or night and scaring the hell out of me the way they appear (just an example: poor Victor Aspir was using the toilet when the Games' lot guy burst in the bathroom to give him the pass for the lot and after that I almost needed a toilet from the way that guy came in!!!). If there are mods for those stupid and irritating things I'm willing to try them.
Alchemist
#17531 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 2:35 PM
I also think it is stupid the way Maxis did it so I use "BO - Kids & Pets Unattended" mod for it. http://www.simbology.com/smf/index....56281#msg156281

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#17532 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 4:09 PM
There are indeed mods to suppress the hobby instructors. And the Family dance, and the hug, which I personally love. Kids don't have anything so urgent to accomplish that they can't take time to hug their parents!

There are also mods you need in order to keep your game healthy - first and foremost, nounlinkondelete, creaturefixes if you have NL. You don't have to do anything to your game files. Just create a Downloads folder in your MyDocuments/EAGames/Sims2 folder and stick them in there. That's it. All you have to do.

If you have a downtown linked to Desiderata Valley, it has a graveyard in it: Gothier Green Lawns. If you don't want to link a downtown, or want your Desiderata Valley sims to have their own graveyard, create a community lot and name it "Graveyard," then send it. You will then have a place where your Knowledge sims can go to fulfill their want to see ghosts! Once you send the grave, go back into the community lot (whether Gothier Green Lawns or one you make) and you will find the tombstone sitting at the curb. Place it where you want it, save, and done.

Kids can also leave the lot to walk the pet, by the way. And if you don't like the Latin music, have your playable switch the station! If you want the nanny to go home before the sim who hired her gets home, click on her and "dismiss." Poke around anf experiment more, learn the game rather than getting annoyed at it. Most things have simple solutions if you look for them and get a feel for the mechanics. This is a game that rewards experimentation and flexible behavior more than goal-directed concentration. The sweet part of life is all in the unnecessary!

I always move sims from University directly into some residence or other, whether temporary or permanent. Since they grow up into random outfits, I then play them long enough to send them out to buy decent clothes. They will now have a telephone and will not look as if they dressed in the dark at a rummage sale. They'll appear on community lots and on walk-bys, and will call playable friends, but will not come home from work with anyone until they get a job.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . My most recent book is Sullivan, That Summer. Widespot and Widespot RFD: The Subhood are both available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
#17533 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 5:13 PM
Is there a way to lower the volume of the cinematics in the game (for first time woohoo and such)? I have all the sounds in the settings lowered, but when a video triggers it insists on blasting at full volume.
Theorist
#17534 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 2:08 AM
I don't know why THAT happens, but I have mine set to not PLAY the "cut scene". I've seen enough firs-kisses, woo hoo, and abductions. Besides, I like the pictures I can take with out the thing playing.

ignorance is not stupididity
Field Researcher
#17535 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 8:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
You may need to set up the path if Clean Installer is sending it to the wrong place.

if you put S2PCI.ini down in your search bar it should find it.

Oh Yes, I did follow the tutorial. But I kept getting Access denied. I then tried looking on my windows 8.1 to try and disable the user account or something along those lines but then I got stuck.

I didn't know what to do in order for me to change the path for the clean installer.
Mad Poster
#17536 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 10:20 PM
Are you the administrator on the computer? Try right clicking on Notepad or CI and running as administrator.

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#17537 Old Yesterday at 2:24 AM
If I build a community lot and sell it back and have someone else buy it, all the items should stay right?

I have a lot of portraits/pictures from families that have passed generations ago and would like to set them up like a museum. Unfortunately I would have to constantly sell/buy that lot so all my sims can put their ancestors pictures' on it. I just don't want to risk losing the pictures by selling the lot.
Forum Resident
#17538 Old Yesterday at 2:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcgb53191
If I build a community lot and sell it back and have someone else buy it, all the items should stay right?

I have a lot of portraits/pictures from families that have passed generations ago and would like to set them up like a museum. Unfortunately I would have to constantly sell/buy that lot so all my sims can put their ancestors pictures' on it. I just don't want to risk losing the pictures by selling the lot.

With my community garden I make everything harvestable and then sell it back to the community and every time my sims go there, they can harvest the crops. So I would say everything would stay in your museum if you sell it back. But with my Museum the owner buys the pictures using the certificates here http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=442406 or they can gift it to the Museum owner.
Inventor
#17539 Old Yesterday at 2:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty55
With my community garden I make everything harvestable and then sell it back to the community and every time my sims go there, they can harvest the crops. So I would say everything would stay in your museum if you sell it back. But with my Museum the owner buys the pictures using the certificates here http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=442406 or they can gift it to the Museum owner.

I guess gifting the pictures to one owner is probably the easiest way to do it. Then he can sell back the community lot once all the pictures are up without losing everything hopefully.
Forum Resident
#17540 Old Yesterday at 2:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcgb53191
I guess gifting the pictures to one owner is probably the easiest way to do it. Then he can sell back the community lot once all the pictures are up without losing everything hopefully.

It would be the easiest way. But they have to be friends in order to gift to each other. Sometimes I just make both selectable and switch their inventory.
Alchemist
#17541 Old Yesterday at 2:57 AM
If by portraits you mean pictures painted with the easel, those have a tendency to revert to the "base" painting (the weird one that looks a bit like a sunset with red and yellow) randomly. For me, it happens less if you gift paintings to a new location rather than bring in inventory of a moving Sim, but it happens regardless eventually. No idea why, it just does

No reason not to go for it for as long as you have them, just thought I'd mention it. Also, the way I play I'd make a support-Sim that is the gallery keeper who owns the lot, and has no other function other than to exist, and own the lot, and when necessary place new paintings. That way there's no hassle of buying/selling back and forth.
Forum Resident
#17542 Old Yesterday at 3:01 AM Last edited by Rusty55 : Yesterday at 3:12 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gummilutt
Also, the way I play I'd make a support-Sim that is the gallery keeper who owns the lot, and has no other function other than to exist, and own the lot, and when necessary place new paintings. That way there's no hassle of buying/selling back and forth.

That's how I do it most of the time.

Might be wiser to have an artist own the Museum and have him paint pictures of your sims and place them in the Museum. I haven't encountered what gummilutt mentioned, but it is better than risking losing pictures of sims that have died.
Lab Assistant
#17543 Old Yesterday at 9:43 AM
A little backstory here: I'm working on renovating Veronaville and making it completely victorian - I spent yesterday evening downloading all kinds of cool victorianesque items and clothes and I'm going to start the project today. I kept thinking about Veronaville and the changes I need to do when I was about to go to sleep and I realized that I've never, ever seen Mercutio and Romeo Monty's parents haunt the lot in the near eight years that I've played the game.
Has any of you had the Monty ghosts appear? And, should they appear or is their lack of haunting their descendants a glitch?
Lab Assistant
#17544 Old Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Although this isnt a "silly" question, but there two similare questions Im wondering:

1) Is it safe to rename the neighborhoods in your document folder, like N001?
and the 2nd, is it safe clone one of your neighborhood by changing their name?

For example you wanted the same sims from your N001 WITHOUT cloning them via SimPE and copying the neighborhood by changing its name, would that work?
Alchemist
#17545 Old Yesterday at 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florentzina
Although this isnt a "silly" question, but there two similare questions Im wondering:

1) Is it safe to rename the neighborhoods in your document folder, like N001?
and the 2nd, is it safe clone one of your neighborhood by changing their name?

For example you wanted the same sims from your N001 WITHOUT cloning them via SimPE and copying the neighborhood by changing its name, would that work?

No. I'm pretty sure that all the files in a neighbourhood folder are linked to the neighbourhood name and number and would be messed up if you changed it.
Alchemist
#17546 Old Yesterday at 11:35 AM
You can change neighbourhood name, but you have to change every file in there as well. Manually, not really feasible, but if you can master a renaming program it's not difficult. I don't believe you can clone neighbourhoods that way though, I don't remember why but I believe the game doesn't accept it/like it.

If you want more than one hood of the premades, I'd suggest using multiple user files. Just rename the Sims 2 folder in documents, and the game will generate a new one.

And on the topic of portraits, what I started doing is that whenever I have a Sim paint a motive from the game, I pause the game when selecting the motive, and after pressing C so the frame disappears, I take a picture with Fraps. That way, if the picture disappears, I can edit the fraps-one and add it to custom motives and retrieve it that way. More work, but that way it can be re-done as many times as you need.
Scholar
#17547 Old Yesterday at 11:37 AM Last edited by esmeiolanthe : Yesterday at 11:55 AM.
You can change the name of a hood from (for example) N004 to N005 perfectly safely -- IF you also change the name of every single file and folder inside the N004 folder from N004______ to N005______ as well. If you only change the name of the outside folder, then the game will crash. A batch renaming program is very helpful for that task. I do that routinely with no problems, but (fair warning) I do it on a hood with very few sims, all auto-generated, that has never been used to do anything but build. I'm not sure how it will work with a hood that's been played.

I am not sure that simply copying a character file in the same hood and changing the name will work. It sounds to me like a recipe for disaster, since you'll now have a duplicate everything. Better to stick with extracting via SimPE and then cloning in Bodyshop.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal
Most recent story update: The Fantabulous Newsons on 8/17/14
Lab Assistant
#17548 Old Yesterday at 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmeiolanthe
You can change the name of a hood from (for example) N004 to N005 perfectly safely -- IF you also change the name of [i]every single file and folder[i] inside the N004 folder from N004______ to N005______ as well. If you only change the name of the outside folder, then the game will crash. A batch renaming program is very helpful for that task. I do that routinely with no problems, but (fair warning) I do it on a hood with very few sims, all auto-generated, that has never been used to do anything but build. I'm not sure how it will work with a hood that's been played.
I am not sure that simply copying a character file in the same hood and changing the name will work. It sounds to me like a recipe for disaster, since you'll now have a duplicate everything. Better to stick with extracting via SimPE and then cloning in Bodyshop.

Its was for a hood with clean templates with perhaps 20 sims in it that I wanted to clone so they could be played in two different hoods with different play styles, but oh well, I guess I will have to use the bodyshop route (and the reason I asked was because Bodyshop and SimPE take a long time to load and because renaming cas shells seems to safe). Thanks for answering!
Scholar
#17549 Old Yesterday at 11:55 AM
You could always back up and try it. If you just want a clone of the whole hood rather than one individual file cloned to a new hood or a clone of one character file inside the same hood, it might work just fine. Just remember to rename every single file and folder inside the renamed hood folder too.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal
Most recent story update: The Fantabulous Newsons on 8/17/14
Field Researcher
#17550 Old Yesterday at 6:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammapat
I don't know why THAT happens, but I have mine set to not PLAY the "cut scene". I've seen enough firs-kisses, woo hoo, and abductions. Besides, I like the pictures I can take with out the thing playing.

Yeah, I know that would circumvent the problem, but the first PC I used to play TS2 was too weak to handle the cut scenes so I still feel like I haven't seen them enough. Well, maybe I have seen first woohoo enough. I have lots of romance sims hanging around.
Page 702 of 702

Section jump