Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
6 people viewing

quycksylver

There are also 5 guests viewing too.

Replies: 16417 (Who?), Viewed: 1014115 times.
Page 657 of 657
Top Secret Researcher
#16401 Old Yesterday at 6:16 PM Last edited by gazania : Today at 3:06 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra
So, this may seem an odd or obvious question, but... What is game corruption, really?

At this point, all I know is that it's evil and scary and eats your Sims for breakfast... but I don't know what it actually does to your game, or why it's so scary. This seems like it might be an important gap in my TS2 meta-knowledge.

Game corruption ... hope I never ever encounter that.

And I believe it's time to tote out a wiki link:

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Game_gui...ding_corruption

But as a "hood corruption" pro (really ... can't I be an expert in something else, please?) , I can elaborate on some of the most dramatic symptoms of corruption in that wiki that did, indeed happen to my daughter and me:

1. The worst ... the one that gives you that sinking feeling in your stomach ... is "Subject Memories". Sims in your game just disappear, and in place of their name is the ominous $Subject. They're gone. You can't find the missing Sims in any files. If you create another Sim, that Sim just slips into that character number's place. For instance, if Sim #351 disappears and you create another Sim, that Sim becomes 351. However, any memories involving the missing Sim up that point still read as $Subject instead of the Sim's name. At that point, in my humble opinion, it's truly over for your hood, because it doesn't stop at a Sim or two. Soon, you'll see Sims disappear. In my case, it happened very quickly after the first instance. Time to salvage what you can and call it a day for your hood. It's toast.

2. Children and toddler wants. Sometimes, this is due to a bad mod. I once had children with woohoo wants because of a bad adult mod. But my kiddies still had those strange wants once I tested and removed the offender. The damage had probably already been done at that point. Good-bye hood. It was fun while it lasted.

In a funnier instance, I had put in an animated NPC animal and my Sims kept having wants to woohoo with it. Errr ... no. Not in my game, thank you very much. That's just ... just ... I had to do an across-the-board reset for that one. (This NPC also had a male appendage dangling over its head, since I have an anatomical mod in my game. This game was just going wrong on all different counts.)

3. Messin' around with those dangerous NPCs. There has been some discussion here as to whether using the Grimmie Baby feature on Insim will kill your hood or game, or whether it's safe. Many seem to feel it's OK. But quite frankly, my daughter and I will never try it again. For one thing, though my Grimmie babies seemed OK (but remember the warnings how corruption can happen within hours, days, months or years after you do the VBT), the kids came out "meh". I believe they looked like their mother. Underwhelming, at best. After my daughter tried doing this, however, she started having major crashing issues with her Grimmie family. If they even came on a lot, the game crashed. She had to junk her hood.

Did she do other VBTs when I wasn't looking, and that didn't help any? Maybe. But I'm not taking any chances. So if you really really feel some overwhelming need to mess around with that Insim menu item, even though the results really are not worth it, in my opinion, save a backup of your game, just in case. Just my advice.

4. Strange and dangerous visitors. Once, when doing my friendly tour guide testing (he called my Sim, and while to this day, no one seems to be 100% sure whether he ought to have done that or how it happened in the first place, most of us agree it certainly wasn't a normal thing), I tested a little too vigorously and carelessly and did a VBT. (Forgot which one it was .... I believe I exited my BV travel destination incorrectly.) I got my Sim back from vacation, and a non-playable NPC (one of the car drivers in brown) walked near my Sim's house, called out, and waved at him. What the .. ?

Also, the house suddenly had a bevy of Sims walking by it, including that driver ... not just one at a time. I do not have a mod that would let the game do that. I know one does exist.

You know what Mootilda says about always backing up a hood before testing or adding mods? Mootilda is right. I was lucky I listened for once and did a complete game backup shortly before this all happened. I lost a couple of days, but I at least saved the hood. I might have even saved my game. Thanks, Mootilda!

Other symptoms of my previously-corrupted hoods weren't as obvious, but that might have been because I realized I corrupted my hood, thought, "Oh, !@#$ it" and just simply reset or deleted.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.
Inventor
#16402 Old Yesterday at 6:43 PM
Really - once you know the gist and basics of corruption, how it works, what to do to avoid it, the mods available that can help reduce or prevent it, and the invaluable art of backing up, corruption will be the least of your worries. The Sims 2 can still be that awesome game you run home from school/work in order to get more time to play. It's not a game if you don't enjoy it, and if you don't enjoy it, you're probably wasting your time with it. Even with these issues, I still enjoy the game. It's one of my favourites.
Top Secret Researcher
#16403 Old Yesterday at 6:52 PM Last edited by gazania : Yesterday at 7:58 PM.
Yes. With the exception of the friendly tour guide (which I believe was the result of a bad mod, though I'm still not 100% sure), I have a pretty good idea of what caused the problems, and most of these corruption issues can be avoided. (The bad adult mod mentioned in #2 is gone, I believe.) In the first case, I liberally deleted Sims from the family bin. (Heeey ... Maxis lets us do that! Yeah. Right.) That is a VBT. My hood worked for years, then suddenly, all chaos broke loose.

There is no need to be scared of this game. But do read the wiki entries about corruption, take the appropriate steps, and whatever you do, don't believe that because you did the VBT and the game didn't react immediately, you're automatically safe forever and can continue to do VBTs.

Field Researcher
#16404 Old Yesterday at 8:27 PM
Okay, I already asked in the Challenge thread for this, but that thread hasn't had any posts for two months prior to this... Someone in the forum here mentioned this challenge today and I was HOOKED. :D

It's Phaenoh's version of the Apocalypse challenge. I am supposed to choose 2 or 3 items and put in my sims inventory before the apocalypse hits.
Are there any restrictions on the 3 (or 2 with full uni start) items that I can choose apart from them being bought with the sim's own money? Could I say, bring back a shower?

My sim has just graduated, and because of being on probation, is leaving immediately. As soon as I know which items I can choose, the apocalypse will strike.... :D
#16405 Old Today at 1:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyTabby

So, my problem is that certain families won't age. It's as if I'm playing with aging off. I can age them up with cheats or mods, but they don't age per day like a normal Sim. The weird thing about it is that it's only happened to three households. I have a dozen other households that age just fine. Also, this has only happened to households with a baby in the family. But it doesn't affect every household, once again. I've had InTeen in my game for about six months now, and this problem only started happening a few weeks ago. I've raised a generation and a half with InTeen in, no problems.

This happens to be me in several neighborhoods when I restart them and has for years now. You need to spawn the biological clock for each person in the house. I don't know why it fixes it, but it does. Just make it a habit of spawning biological clocks first thing in every household in a new neighborhood. You don't have to do it again the next time you load the lot as long as you've saved.

They should use The Sims 2 in psychology....it could work wonders.
Lab Assistant
#16406 Old Today at 1:54 AM
@bloodstained_black_lace

Thanks for the tip. Is there something else I'm supposed to do when spawning it, though? My Sims still didn't age.

All I did was spawn the clock again for all the Sims I could, then had them put it away. ETA: And then I waited for 6 to roll around (I have a lot that is saved right before then just to test this problem out). I do have a baby and a cat on that lot, though, so I don't know if that would interfere. Has the no aging thing happened to you with unplayable (or at least unplayable without cheats) Sims? Or was I supposed to do something else with the clock?
Field Researcher
#16407 Old Today at 1:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charity
How does the game decide how long elder pets will live? I know with human sims it's relate to their aspiration etc., but pets don't have that. Do they all get the same number of elder days, is it random or does their mood when aging up affect it?

Adult cats and small dogs 24 days to elder, large dog 22 days to elder. Elders 5-10 days, it's random. Aspiration reward, Kibble of Life can extend elder age, but not sure by how much or if it's forever as long as the food is there. Unlike the sims aging at 6pm, pets age at 10 or 11 am.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Chardonnay in one hand, chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO HOO . . WHAT A RIDE!!!"
Field Researcher
#16408 Old Today at 2:44 AM
Quote:
1. The worst ... the one that gives you that sinking feeling in your stomach ... is "Subject Memories". Sims in your game just disappear, and in place of their name is the ominous $Subject. They're gone. You can't find the missing Sims in any files. If you create another Sim, that Sim just slips into that character number's place. For instance, if Sim #351 disappears and you create another Sim, that Sim becomes 351. However, any memories involving the missing Sim up that point still read as $Subject instead of the Sim's name. At that point, in my humble opinion, it's truly over for your hood, because it doesn't stop at a Sim or two. Soon, you find other Sims disappear. In my case, it happened very quickly after the first instance. Time to salvage what you can and call it a day for your hood. It's toast.

Owch I didn't know that was so bad o.o I had that for like a year in my special 70 houses rotation hood (which I literally did most things in that I wasn't suppose to do such as making sims have babies with the therapist and moving families to/from the house bin). I'm glad I stopped playing it and kept the neighbourhood on a USB somewhere never to be played again but always to just own (It was a special hood me and my Mum made before she died, so I couldn't just delete it). I always just thought of it as a little hiccup because it's not like my sims deleted, they just didn't remember things that happened to their family correctly ("$Subject got married" etc.)

[Just in case someone misunderstands: I'm saying I thought it was just a hiccup. It isn't. Don't do stupid crap with your game, etc. etc.]

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Top Secret Researcher
#16409 Old Today at 3:14 AM
I think that's a normal reaction. Who wants to believe their game is about to go belly-up? Surely, it was just a burp.

My reaction was the same as some here when I noticed the first problem. The first time, when Ghost sdoj told me my game was corrupted, I denied it. Surely, it couldn't have been! That's why I smile ... kindly ... when I read of people here insisting the same thing.

That's really too bad it happened to a game that meant so much to you, though. I do hope you took pictures and managed to keep those.

Field Researcher
#16410 Old Today at 3:27 AM
Quote:
That's really too bad it happened to a game that meant so much to you, though. I do hope you took pictures and managed to keep those.

Really I'm happy as long as I still own the neighbourhood on a usb. It was still playable (as in, I could run it and play it) but I like preserving it how it was rather than actually playing it - which is one of the reasons I don't play it anymore, because I wanted it to be base-game compatible (so I can just put it in and just look at it without having to install ALL Eps on whatever future laptops I have) so I put it on a USB and kept the files on my computer when I started installing more EPs. I have loads of pictures of my Sims though, not as good quality as I would have liked, but those pictures are more for my own personal "aw look at my Simselfs great-great-grandchild!" rather than for me to flash around this site so bad-quality pictures don't matter as much

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Lab Assistant
#16411 Old Today at 4:35 AM
Another dumb / weird question from me:

Is there any way to force sims to put things down on the nearest surface? For example, my sims put their bills and coffee cups upstairs on a desk, when there's plenty of kitchen counter space.
Theorist
#16412 Old Today at 4:40 AM
Put something decorative like a statue or a light or a plant on the desk. Sims are idiots and you have to block them from being able to do it.
Lab Assistant
#16413 Old Today at 4:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charity
Put something decorative like a statue or a light or a plant on the desk. Sims are idiots and you have to block them from being able to do it.

I never thought of this. *facepalm* Thanks for the suggestion!
Mad Poster
#16414 Old Today at 5:04 AM
Actually, Sims won't place bills on a kitchen counter, only on table or desks. Counters are different kinds of slots and bills can't/won't be place on them even if you clutter up all the table/desk slots.

It is annoying that they go wandering all over the place looking for a slot, though. I use this thing here: http://dramallamadingdang.tumblr.co...is-a-cover-that

It's like a mailbox "slipcover," and it adds a slot to the mailbox itself so that Sims will just place bills there...unless someone's put a newspaper on that slot, which will sometimes happen. But generally, it works really well. The link takes you to my recolors of it, but the mesh is included.

So I'm taking another stab at documenting a neighborhood. This one stars Benjamin Long. Pathetic attempts at humor can be found here.
I caved and made myself a Simblr. Woe is me. But hey! There's already stuff there that isn't here at MTS. :)
Test Subject
#16415 Old Today at 6:10 AM
At what point are Townies generated in a new neighborhood? Let's say, I WANT a neighborhood to get the stock townies (Goopy, etc), but then I want to do clean templates/notownieregen so that no other new neighborhoods in the future are afflicted. What is the minimum I am required to do to make this happen? Just create the neighborhood, or do I need to play a house for a time to let the townies generate?
Field Researcher
#16416 Old Today at 6:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ileeeen
At what point are Townies generated in a new neighborhood? Let's say, I WANT a neighborhood to get the stock townies (Goopy, etc), but then I want to do clean templates/notownieregen so that no other new neighborhoods in the future are afflicted. What is the minimum I am required to do to make this happen? Just create the neighborhood, or do I need to play a house for a time to let the townies generate?

Do you have MATY's noregen mods? Then you have to create your own townies. If not, no.
Field Researcher
#16417 Old Today at 7:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinarunine
Another dumb / weird question from me:

Is there any way to force sims to put things down on the nearest surface? For example, my sims put their bills and coffee cups upstairs on a desk, when there's plenty of kitchen counter space.

I always felt the stupid actions sims do are intentional and what the game description 'Crude Humor' refers to. It's one of those illogical things like a pregnant sim I had who ran past a bathroom on the first floor, to an exact duplicate bathroom on the third floor just to puke. Both rooms were the same size, same floors and walls and objects. Same amount of space outside each, nothing in the way of either one. Crude Humor is illogic sims. I can picture creators sitting around late at night while having a few drinks, maybe a few too many, while laughing at all the stupid stuff they can make sims do.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Chardonnay in one hand, chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO HOO . . WHAT A RIDE!!!"
Theorist
#16418 Old Today at 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCad
Actually, Sims won't place bills on a kitchen counter, only on table or desks. Counters are different kinds of slots and bills can't/won't be place on them even if you clutter up all the table/desk slots.

It is annoying that they go wandering all over the place looking for a slot, though. I use this thing here: http://dramallamadingdang.tumblr.co...is-a-cover-that

It's like a mailbox "slipcover," and it adds a slot to the mailbox itself so that Sims will just place bills there...unless someone's put a newspaper on that slot, which will sometimes happen. But generally, it works really well. The link takes you to my recolors of it, but the mesh is included.

That is useful, thanks. Usually if you clutter up all the desks then they leave bills beside the mailbox, but in winter sometimes they get lost in the snow. XD
Page 657 of 657

Section jump