Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#26 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 5:29 AM
Well on a bright note it looks like there are going to be movie theaters. Hopefully you can go inside them. XD
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 5:37 AM
I don't like this at all! I don't want real life stuff in my game unless I download the CC to put it in my own game! And I have no interest in downloading that kind CC.
Test Subject
#28 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 10:41 AM
Well that's it official, no TS3 for me. Been underwhelmed since the first information and this is the deal-breaker.
Scholar
#29 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 12:28 PM
Why is everyone acting all suprised? We had an H&M and an Ikea stuff pack. SimSoicties had ads for that fuel company what's it's face. While spores on the other hand tries to market the idea of religion as bad while free trade is good...okay maybe that last one was a long shot.

Bottom line is that EA whores out all the games it has and we're been doing the same AIDS infested series for a decade now so why would they change something that seems to be working well.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 12:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Black_Barook!
Why is everyone acting all suprised? We had an H&M and an Ikea stuff pack.

I'm greatly disappointed. I don't mind stuff packs or official downloads of name brands because at least we can choose to download those things for our own game. I wouldn't mind if they continued to make those things for Sims 3 because some people like having Ikea furniture and Ford cars in their game, but I don't. I just don't want advertisements already in the base game.

There better be a way to turn that off or I'm not buying the game! Period.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 12:50 PM
Just read about this at snooty and had to find somewhere to rant.

ARE THEY JOKING? This is truly a new low. Ok, not only are they not giving us any incentive in exchange for viewing these ads, (like say, watching a tv show on network tv for free, free product samples, 10 hours of free internet, etc. in return putting up with commercials, answering surveys, popup/banners) but they're actually making us pay to see them.

I wouldn't be so against it if it was some sort of an opt-in thing, where by doing so, you got the game for a discount, access to new creator tools or hell, even a completely tested and bug-free game, but we all know that definitely won't be the case. And I understand that it's common for product placement to be in video games and movies these days but those things tick me off just as much. EA and every other company that stoops to this shouldn't get to make 100% profit off of us AND the advertisers with out giving us at least something back in return.

But no real worries, because just like DVR and adblock plus, some modder out there will come up with a way to stop these in-game ads within the first week or so. And I and the other pee'd off paying customers of the game will be the first in line to download it. Because it's the principle of the thing, damn it! [/rant]

ETA: Anyone who doesn't get why this is such a big deal has clearly never worked in market research. I recommend doing so, even if just for a week. (That's probably all you'll be able to stand anyway.)
Alchemist
#32 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 1:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simcharley1990
another way to make money - the people pay EA to advertise their stuff in game.

What's EA thinking trying to make money for their stock holders? Shame on them.
#33 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 8:37 PM
Just a question, these ads will connect us to the internet to update, right? You know, that means without an add-on or something, they're going to throw in MORE software that will royally screw our computers. Also, if this means you cannot play TS3 without internet, they are losing an enormous amount of players off the bat.
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 9:01 PM
Maybe it will be like the new loading thing in sims2. Where you click on your game and before you press play it shows recent news from sims 2, however without the internet, the play just shows. Maybe sims3, if you turn off ur internet while you play, won't appear
Mad Poster
#35 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 9:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by shelbnumber1
Maybe it will be like the new loading thing in sims2. Where you click on your game and before you press play it shows recent news from sims 2, however without the internet, the play just shows. Maybe sims3, if you turn off ur internet while you play, won't appear

Maybe it will leave cookies behind...It would suck to have no images at all on the billboards if you turn off the internet. Maybe we could just remove the billboards from the neighbourhood. I hope they make all the advertisements downloadable game content, so we can pick and choose what we like or want in the game.
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 11:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Eww. I hate anything that isn't simlish in my game. That would bug the crap out of me. Hopefully the TS3 hack creating community can come up with a way to feed the game nice simlish ads rather than that hogwash.

If we can even hack the game, that is.
Even that isn't for sure know yet =/
#37 Old 10th Oct 2008 at 12:04 AM
Gad dammit, I can't believe they could do such a thing. I mean how could they do this? They are such sellouts!

Oh wait, its EA. Nah I'm not surprised really.
Mad Poster
#38 Old 10th Oct 2008 at 12:47 AM
I don't mind it too much but I do prefer them to be in Simlish with Sims and not with real people. It's unrealistic to have your cartoony Sims in this cartoony world yet with pictures of real life people in these ads, and so that would stand out and make it seem unrealistic and it would just ruin the town's feel and uniqueness (unless you had realistic CC skin tones which not everyone will use). However, if the ads were in Simlish and even if they had the logo of the companies but just with Sims instead of real people, and the printed language being Simlish, then I wouldn't mind it so much. I mean logos are just text and fonts so that doesn't bother me. It's the real people with a real language printed on the ads that bothers me. I want to keep my town as Simlish as possible. It's what made The Sims. Without Simlish, the game is just... odd.

I know that we can disable it without internet connection, but why? Or... why can't there be a choice to have regular Simlish ads or real ads? That would seem fair. It can be in the options section under graphics.

The good thing is that in one of the photos I saw Simlish ads, so that is a hint that we may still get them. I hope so!
#39 Old 10th Oct 2008 at 3:17 AM
EA will do anything for money, won't they?
#40 Old 10th Oct 2008 at 5:57 AM
It's not a big deal to me. I can see how it might be bad to some people. As long as it's discreet and incorporated seamlessly.
Test Subject
#41 Old 10th Oct 2008 at 11:46 AM
There's a similar feature to this in Rollercoaster Tycoon 3. Its actually fairly handy. If not connected to the net, you can simply choose from a number of images you have chosen to display on billboards.
#42 Old 10th Oct 2008 at 11:48 AM
It's not that big of a deal. I mean, people pay EA just to put their ads in the game. >.< But it can be kind of a annoying
Alchemist
#43 Old 10th Oct 2008 at 9:59 PM
Yeah, I hate English in my game too. If there is anything with English on it when I download CC I get rid of it. I wouldn't mind dynamic adds otherwise, sounds kinda neat to me, even if it is a blatant marketing ploy.
Forum Resident
#44 Old 10th Oct 2008 at 10:08 PM
My simming comp isn't hooked up to the net so I don't care.
#45 Old 11th Oct 2008 at 12:51 AM
Hm, I feel a bit ambivalent... It ads realism to the extreme, and I like that. But it sets a limit to how one can customize the game into a fantasy. I cant make up mind, but generally I hate the idea...
Mad Poster
#46 Old 12th Oct 2008 at 2:04 AM
I guess we will have to wait and see more about this.
#47 Old 12th Oct 2008 at 2:06 AM
I actually think it's smart advertising. As long ads are nasty and come up in pop-ups I'm totally fine with them.
Mad Poster
#48 Old 12th Oct 2008 at 2:15 AM
Well, I'm still rooting for Simlish ads. I'll most likely use them. But I guess I will have to wait and see how the real ones will look.
#49 Old 12th Oct 2008 at 9:22 AM
I don't want ads in my game. I have AdBlock Plus and since I got that, I've rarely even seen an ad online and if I don't want to see ads on the net, why would I want to look at them in a game? And I don't trust EA enough to allow them to connect to my PC through the net since they'll probably sneak new versions of SecuROM and who knows what else while they're at it. If I do get the game (right now, I don't think I will) I'll be playing with my net disconnected.
Mad Poster
#50 Old 13th Oct 2008 at 3:17 AM
Well it looks like there are more people who don't want ads than those who do, so EA should be taking notes.
Page 2 of 4