Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jan 2009 at 3:15 PM
Default Thank you, but no thank you
I've just had a long session reading up on Sims3. Actually, I went to pre-order the Sims3 when I saw that the CD's contain DRM. I didn't know what that could do with a game, having heard about it in connection with music and movies.

Well, I found out that not only am I restricted with the number of installations and locations, but that Sims3 also installs SecuRom along with all the headaches associated with it.

But the worst is: "THIS GAME INCLUDES SOFTWARE THAT COLLECTS DATA ONLINE NECESSARY TO PROVIDE IN-GAME ADVERTISING"

Is this true?

Is this how the next president gets chosen? Is this how I will know what washing powder I should use?

Please someone tell me that there is no DRM, no SecuRom and no online information gathering.

I WANT to play this game - but not if the above is really true.

Now, after reading up on what there is on different sites I have decided the issue of DRM and/or Securom is meaningless compared to the "delivery of online content".

I simply get the creeps when I think of someone monitoring everything I do - even if it's "only" a game. I suppose this will become part of everyday life, but I'll sidestep it for as long as possible and try to make people aware of what is happening.

I like analogies with cars: I don't recall having to call Ford every time I use my car. And if I want to, I can sell it. I bought it, I am not renting it. It's my right.

I don't think Ford cares whether I drive to a church or a brothel. EA cares. A lot.

So I will not touch Sims3 and stay with Sims2 and hope that there are still developments around it for some time as I will not play exhibitionist with EA.

And yes, it hurts. But as someone else put it so aptly: are you willing to sacrifice a product for your belief? I am.

Thanks for your confirmation or - hopefully - repudiation.

AndyB
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 4th Jan 2009 at 3:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndyB
I've just had a long session reading up on Sims3. Actually, I went to pre-order the Sims3 when I saw that the CD's contain DRM. I didn't know what that could do with a game, having heard about it in connection with music and movies.

Well, I found out that not only am I restricted with the number of installations and locations, but that Sims3 also installs SecuRom along with all the headaches associated with it.

But the worst is: "THIS GAME INCLUDES SOFTWARE THAT COLLECTS DATA ONLINE NECESSARY TO PROVIDE IN-GAME ADVERTISING"

Is this true?

Is this how the next president gets chosen? Is this how I will know what washing powder I should use?

Please someone tell me that there is no DRM, no SecuRom and no online information gathering.

I WANT to play this game - but not if the above is really true.

Now, after reading up on what there is on different sites I have decided the issue of DRM and/or Securom is meaningless compared to the "delivery of online content".

I simply get the creeps when I think of someone monitoring everything I do - even if it's "only" a game. I suppose this will become part of everyday life, but I'll sidestep it for as long as possible and try to make people aware of what is happening.

I like analogies with cars: I don't recall having to call Ford every time I use my car. And if I want to, I can sell it. I bought it, I am not renting it. It's my right.

I don't think Ford cares whether I drive to a church or a brothel. EA cares. A lot.

So I will not touch Sims3 and stay with Sims2 and hope that there are still developments around it for some time as I will not play exhibitionist with EA.

And yes, it hurts. But as someone else put it so aptly: are you willing to sacrifice a product for your belief? I am.

Thanks for your confirmation or - hopefully - repudiation.

AndyB

Well, they've said they aren't sure how they are going to handle DRM with the Sims 3. Securom has been a problem with Sims2 expansions after Bon Voyage. There has been a HUGE backlash about the use of Securom on Spore... and I think that's the main reason they are 'debating' adding it to Sims 3.

It's an issue I am watching closely as well, but I'm not making any decisions until they release more information...

Peace

I am not bigoted for race, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, or age... I do, however, have a big problem with stupidity, and stupidity knows no boundaries.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 4th Jan 2009 at 3:41 PM
Well, if they include Securom this time again, I may decide not to buy it. I've had issues with apartment life because of it, and my IKEA SP cd is being recognised as orginal only half the times I try to run it.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 4th Jan 2009 at 4:57 PM
I fully agree with crocobaura, I had a "crash" with Securom also after installing apartment life... I've lost just everything game, downloads, etc... I had to reinstall the whole think. So I'll be very careful before buying TS3.
#5 Old 4th Jan 2009 at 5:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
Well, if they include Securom this time again, I may decide not to buy it. I've had issues with apartment life because of it, and my IKEA SP cd is being recognised as orginal only half the times I try to run it.

I agree...
#6 Old 4th Jan 2009 at 5:28 PM
Securom is probebly the cause for a lot of game crashes.Also you want be limited as to how many times you can install the sims 3 you might however be limited to 3 pcs but countless installs on those pcs.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 4th Jan 2009 at 10:01 PM
Well, According to the system requirements, it doesn't state an Internet Connection is Required.
#8 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 12:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sharkloverplayer
Securom is probebly the cause for a lot of game crashes.Also you want be limited as to how many times you can install the sims 3 you might however be limited to 3 pcs but countless installs on those pcs.

That would really suck for me... I haven't had any problems recently (knock on wood), but in the past I've had many. Some of these problems have led to having to procure another computer, others have been replaced after much complaint to the company (with one Dell we spent at LEAST 30 collective hours on the phone attempting to fix things, and after all that we still had to yell at them before they'd replace it, but they did eventually), and other things. If the Sims 3 is going to go on for through EPs for several to many years and I start having computer problems again, that could seriously mess me up.

I shall hope that this doesn't happen. Sigh.
#9 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 6:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ConradThe2nd
Well, According to the system requirements, it doesn't state an Internet Connection is Required.

Actually you have to have a one time online activation to get it to work.I'll post the link.Here it is.I copied it from snootys fact page.

Technical:
PC requirements are 2.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM and a 128 Mb Videocard
You require at least 6,5 Gb of harddisk space
There's no online multiplayer
The game requires a 1-time online activation
You can choose 3 dificulty levels on each household.
You can save your game in different slots
The game will be released on 20 February, 2009.
A Mac version will be made AFTER the game is released on PC.
There will be no weather in the game.
Wind will move the trees.
You can pick up items (garbage, books,etc) yourself with a Hand cursor.
Shadows move across the ground as the sun goes up/down.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 6:25 AM
Damn EA!! Anyways can I have a link to that page? Please and thank you.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 8:21 AM
here's a piece on the in game advertising:

Quote:
Electronic Arts (EA) plans to sell dynamic in-game ad space in "Sims 3,"...

Ads will appear as movie theater posters and billboards in the virtual world Sims characters inhabit....

Beyond virtual "outdoor" executions, EA plans to integrate brands in other ways, reports Ad Age, citing the example of an over-the-counter pain medicine for Sims characters that encountered a tough day or recently had a workout.

http://www.marketingvox.com/dynamic...-sims-3-041347/

I, for one, don't like the idea of advertisers having access to my computer, no matter how peripheral. I don't allow tracking cookies, I'm not buying this. Also, what if you don't play while online? Will that prevent the game from working properly?

Also, I can almost guarantee that between EA having your email from registering and these ads, you'll be inundated with spam from whoever buys the adspace.
Scholar
#12 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 9:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndyB

I completely agree with you, but I think the wording of that sentence has caused some confusion. The way I understand it, all it's saying is that the software downloads data from the internet. It doesn't upload anything to the internet.

♦ Animal Lover, Eco Friendly, Loner, Perfectionist, Vegetarian ♦

Sensitivity is strength.
#13 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 11:56 AM
My question is why do they need to do in-game advertising anyway?
It's not as if a 12 year old will go out and buy a car!
It's unnecessary to have it, and they're just lining their pockets with the revenue the companies advertising give them.
Besides, the Download Manager for EA will have Securom anyway-so you're stuck if you want to download any CC from EA's store.
Either way, you're going to be loaded up with it.
I'm not getting it in any case-Securom is just one issue among many that this game will have, and not the least of them.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 1:10 PM
Damn EA, Its so typical of them, Maxis would of never of done something like this. I remember having to do a "one time activation" on Half-Life 2, since I had a slower connection the waiting time to install was horrendous (around 5 hours), then I found out the game wouldn't run unless you stay connected to the Internet. But thank god there were hacks available that let you run it without being connected.

I can see that the CDs will only come with 95% of the game, the remaining 5% would have to be downloaded. If its advertising then it becomes out-of-date quickly and the game may stop running until you update your files from time-to-time.

I feel this is an invasion of piracy, you would be constantly spied on (this also reduces game performance) so EA can collect data on you, and deliver you with the right advertising.

Lets just hope hacks eventually leak out there that will let you enjoy the game in pirate. EA will be aware of this, and take every caution, but hackers always find a way around it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 1:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Purplepaws
I completely agree with you, but I think the wording of that sentence has caused some confusion. The way I understand it, all it's saying is that the software downloads data from the internet. It doesn't upload anything to the internet.

The sentence is a quote from the EULA or description. I can't recall which.

But it means that the game collects data about you, sends it online to a server and then the "appropriate" ad is downloaded, integrated and displayed.

Go and click on the helpful link that Hinoemasim provided to get the insides.

Hope this clarifies it.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 1:30 PM
It would do some uploading as it needs to collect data about you, EA would know the objects you like to use most often, the way you like to landscape, the type of clothes your dressing your sims in. This way they can throw the right Stuff Pack to shove in your face.

Eventually they can make a complete personal profile from you.
#17 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 2:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cavilez1987
Damn EA!! Anyways can I have a link to that page? Please and thank you.

Sure here it is the whole link.It has a lot of interesting info and has been updated.
http://snootysims.com/thesims3index.php?id=info

Oh and I never thought about it but I bet it will take a long time to do the online activation thing because everyone will be trying to.I hope their servers are able to handle it.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 2:48 PM
It most certainly have some servers issues from the people that brought it from Day 1, I except it will be slower and take longer to install.

I personality feel its worth waiting at least a month or two, and be prepared for the many problems everyone has feedbacked on.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 3:02 PM
Someone has to be the guinea pig.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 3:05 PM
ill gladly be the guinea pig

im glad i live in the uk get it a couple of hours before evry1 else
Test Subject
#21 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 3:14 PM
Iam still up in the air about purchaseing Sims 3.. Not just because of all the things Ive read stated here but also because I have spent so much time, money and effort on Sims 2 Iam not sure I want to replace it LOL..

I have all the expansions and all the stuff packs and feel as if this is starting over.. with a better version maybe but Iam not sure I like the idea and may wait a month or 2 to see what the community response is before I buy.

Rheassi
#22 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 6:51 PM
It would do some uploading as it needs to collect data about you, EA would know the objects you like to use most often, the way you like to landscape, the type of clothes your dressing your sims in. This way they can throw the right Stuff Pack to shove in your face.

Eventually they can make a complete personal profile from you.

Thats pretty freaking scary.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 7:11 PM
Because DRM limits of amount of installations you can do, before your product becomes useless (which is usually only about 3), many people often uninstall and install The Sims to start afresh, because of a corrupt game, hard drive crash, etc.

So some people may find themselves buying the Base game again 2 or 3 times, but theres little worry, as according to wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

Quote:
In practice, all widely-used DRM systems have been defeated or circumvented when deployed to enough customers.
#24 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 8:55 PM
I no longer have internet at home unfortunately and don't know when I could afford to get it again so the internet connection thing really concerns me.
Alchemist
#25 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 9:02 PM
In practice, all widely-used DRM systems have been defeated or circumvented when deployed to enough customers.

No truer statement has ever been made
Page 1 of 8