Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Moderator of Extreme Limericks
#26 Old 20th Feb 2008 at 6:53 PM
I have to agree with all of the people who are concerned about privacy--among other things. I have approximately... um zero desire to have a microchip implanted in my brain. The possibilities are horrible and endless... mind hackers, a Big Brother type mindset where someone is always watching you, saving information and then spitting out pieces that can be used against you at a later date, chips that malfunction and cause serious damage... and I'm sure there are many, many more awful things that could happen, but those are just the first few that came to mind.

There are some applications where this could be immensely useful--like with paralysis victims, as crocobaura suggested. But in ordinary people? If everyone is implanted with the same little chip in their head, how is that any different from branding a herd of cattle?

If this is where the future lies, then I'm honestly kind of concerned.

There's always money in the banana stand.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 20th Feb 2008 at 9:43 PM
Yeah, it will definitely be a risk. And what if in the future we are all forced to have this chip by the government?
Scholar
#28 Old 21st Feb 2008 at 12:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jhd1189
If everyone is implanted with the same little chip in their head, how is that any different from branding a herd of cattle?

Probably because the people will get the chips out of their own free will (and paid for by their own money), whereas cattle are forcibly branded.

Quote: Originally posted by frankie
And what if in the future we are all forced to have this chip by the government?

Why would the government do that, and who would let them?

We only allow the government to force things that are for a public health good, like speed limits and drug bans. But we don't even allow the government to force things with only a little objection, like vaccines.

I don't see it, but as I said, I'm an optimist.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 21st Feb 2008 at 12:35 AM
I just meant because of the talk about losing privacy already, like being bugged and what not. It was mentioned that movie "Empire Of The State" or "Enemy Of The State" with Will Smith, I forget the title, lol.
#30 Old 21st Feb 2008 at 10:36 PM
Not cool. I'm sure the chip and the machine will create monsters. Or just plain besserwissers. At least incredibly boring human beings. Though my own intelligence probably could increase, I have faith in it and it serves me well, connected to my heart and my experience that is.That is what makes us individuals. Human imperfection is interesting and sexy, robots are not.

So, whats the first step? Brains connected directly to google accounts and "MySpace"? At this very moment my brain is way faster than my computer, my digital-TV, or anything tech-related I use everyday.

Telepathy works and can be trained and mastered, there is unused space already in our brains for that "supernatural" or "psychic" purpose.

Doddi wrote: "We only allow the government to force things that are for a public health good, like speed limits and drug bans. But we don't even allow the government to force things with only a little objection, like vaccines.".

Who are "we" and what government? Cause there are several places in the world who would welcome a chance to control more human beings than they already do. First, for you to be right, every government has to be a democracy. This is not the case. Secondly: Politics can sway its policy quickly in the case of war or revolution. Trusting blindly would be foolish.
Mad Poster
#31 Old 22nd Feb 2008 at 3:14 AM
I do wonder if this will happen. The more I am reading this thread, the more I fear of having a chip in my brain, lol.
Scholar
#32 Old 22nd Feb 2008 at 4:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sayyadina
At this very moment my brain is way faster than my computer, my digital-TV, or anything tech-related I use everyday.

Yes but technology continues to get better, whereas our brains don't (or they do, but just really slowly over many generations).

So, whats the first step?

Probably technology to allow us to control computer cursors and press keys without moving a muscle. Also the ability to see a computer screen without having anything over our eyes (directly into the visual cortex). Then maybe the ability to transmit and receive image and voice messages, and eventually thought processes, to other people and computers.

Telepathy works and can be trained and mastered, there is unused space already in our brains for that "supernatural" or "psychic" purpose.

Sure... *eyes roll*

Who are "we" and what government? Cause there are several places in the world who would welcome a chance to control more human beings than they already do.

Yes, this is true. Fortunately, the majority of those are not technologically advanced enough to be able to break the safeguards on the technology.

First, for you to be right, every government has to be a democracy. This is not the case.

True, but totalitarian rule becomes much harder when all the people can access the internet and communicate with each other easily.

Secondly: Politics can sway its policy quickly in the case of war or revolution. Trusting blindly would be foolish.

Yes, but this is not an argument against this technology. It is an argument against trusting the government with anything at all, including guns, aircraft and tanks.
#33 Old 22nd Feb 2008 at 11:43 PM
Glad you read my post so carefully.

Doddi:"Yes, but this is not an argument against this technology. It is an argument against trusting the government with anything at all, including guns, aircraft and tanks."

-well, lets just say I see how it could be used as a weapon, just like the ones you mentioned.

Doddi:"True, but totalitarian rule becomes much harder when all the people can access the internet and communicate with each other easily."

-so the censorship put on the internet in Turkey, Denmark and China was all in my head?( Link to a more thorough list, here )

I don't want to start a paranoid conspiracy-theory here, but the underdeveloped countries you mention as harmless cause their tech is way behind, may just be able to get their hands on just any technology by buying it on a vast black market. Money is the engine and the fuel behind most things, and after all, not every government, democratic or not, cares who the buyer is.
The way I see it, there cant just be technology for technology's sake, however cool the invention. Thats why I don't share the optimism.
Besides, I don't like the idea of having a chip in my body. I don't like the idea of others having it either.

And yes is strange to some, but some people have a strong intuitive ability to communicate information or pick it up without a chip, I guess the chip then will come in most handy for those who don't. Psychics (at this state in human evolution most often regarded as psychotics rather than psychics) are showing up everywhere nowadays. I'm not one of them, just highly intuitive, but I have no reason not to believe in the brains "hidden" capacity.

Are you sure you cant do things on your computer without using your hands already, cause I can. Just will it, and it works. Ok, not all the time, and not always at my concious "command", but I'm convinced its within reach with practice and knowledge. Of course, I cant prove it.
Scholar
#34 Old 23rd Feb 2008 at 5:51 AM
Doddi:"True, but totalitarian rule becomes much harder when all the people can access the internet and communicate with each other easily."

-so the censorship put on the internet in Turkey, Denmark and China was all in my head?( Link to a more thorough list, here )

Well, we in Australia are set to have some internet censorship soon, and I can say that although I disagree with it, I don't think we are under totalitarian rule.

Besides, I don't like the idea of having a chip in my body. I don't like the idea of others having it either.

But, you respect other people's right to choose, right? Or would you object to other people having chips so strongly to deny them the right to have them?

And yes is strange to some, but some people have a strong intuitive ability to communicate information or pick it up without a chip, I guess the chip then will come in most handy for those who don't. Psychics (at this state in human evolution most often regarded as psychotics rather than psychics) are showing up everywhere nowadays. I'm not one of them, just highly intuitive, but I have no reason not to believe in the brains "hidden" capacity.

As a neuroscience student, I do actually have a reason not to believe in such a capacities - because no experiments (and trust me, there have been many, because many young researchers would love to find such features of the brain) have shown any effect at all.

Are you sure you cant do things on your computer without using your hands already, cause I can. Just will it, and it works. Ok, not all the time, and not always at my concious "command", but I'm convinced its within reach with practice and knowledge. Of course, I cant prove it.

You are completely and utterly wrong.

I can't prove it though. :p
Mad Poster
#35 Old 24th Feb 2008 at 6:33 AM
Has it been mentioned when this technology is going to be released to the public? Probably many years I assume.
Scholar
#36 Old 24th Feb 2008 at 7:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by frankie
Has it been mentioned when this technology is going to be released to the public? Probably many years I assume.

When it gets invented, I assume.
#37 Old 25th Feb 2008 at 1:04 AM
Well sure, I'm all for peoples right to choose doddi. What gave you the idea I'm not? And sure, I'm wrong, you're right...Happy ? Now, go on dissecting someone else's views...
Scholar
#38 Old 25th Feb 2008 at 4:23 AM
Well sure, I'm all for peoples right to choose doddi. What gave you the idea I'm not?

Nothing gave me any indication either way, which is why I asked. You did say you didn't like others getting this sort of technology, so I inquired as to how far that dislike would go.

But I'm glad that you're "pro-choice" rather than "pro-natural brains".
Mad Poster
#39 Old 25th Feb 2008 at 5:44 AM
Funny how I never thought that this thread would get this heated what with what the topic is about and all.
#40 Old 25th Feb 2008 at 12:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Doddibot
Nothing gave me any indication either way, which is why I asked. You did say you didn't like others getting this sort of technology, so I inquired as to how far that dislike would go.

But I'm glad that you're "pro-choice" rather than "pro-natural brains".

Hm, I just thought "Your utterly wrong" to be a too silly argument for me to debate... Wrong about what, exactly?
Ah, I would go as far as to fight for my own right not to have it. If it was decided "we should all try it out", I would reject the idea strongly. When it comes to other people, the decision is theirs, but I would still not like the idea. I would encourage friends and family to think carefully before having it,and I would not let my animals be "tested" for the chip (not that they could actually make use of the information, but maybe someone wants to test the technology just to see if our heads "explode", sort of...) And that's exactly what I said. I don't like it. (For the reasons I gave, in my first (second) post.)

And what is a "natural brain", other than an organ with specific shape and sometimes weight? I never heard anyone yet to say "I choose my brain", on the other hand, its more common to say we can choose our thoughts or consciously manipulate the brains activity with various stimuli.
Scholar
#41 Old 26th Feb 2008 at 7:34 AM
Hm, I just thought "Your utterly wrong" to be a too silly argument for me to debate... Wrong about what, exactly?

Just the part I quoted above where I said you were wrong.

Because you didn't offer proof, I dismissed it without proof.

Ah, I would go as far as to fight for my own right not to have it. If it was decided "we should all try it out", I would reject the idea strongly. When it comes to other people, the decision is theirs, but I would still not like the idea. I would encourage friends and family to think carefully before having it,and I would not let my animals be "tested" for the chip (not that they could actually make use of the information, but maybe someone wants to test the technology just to see if our heads "explode", sort of...) And that's exactly what I said. I don't like it. (For the reasons I gave, in my first (second) post.)

That's sensible. I wouldn't force you - I support personal liberty to modify one's body and mind.

And what is a "natural brain", other than an organ with specific shape and sometimes weight? I never heard anyone yet to say "I choose my brain", on the other hand, its more common to say we can choose our thoughts or consciously manipulate the brains activity with various stimuli.

Yes, but when we can modify the genes of the brain or insert chips into the brain, it may be common to refer to a brain without these as 'natural'. Just as food is considered 'all natural' if doesn't contain artificial additives.
#42 Old 26th Feb 2008 at 10:51 PM
Yeah "when we can"... Guess I'm all to rooted in the here and now and my rather small potion of reality (physical), to see it coming any day soon. When it does, we may all have changed our minds about brainchips, or anything at all. After all, who can resist change possibly taking place generations from now.

Have a nice evening.

(I still don't like it!)
Alchemist
#43 Old 7th Mar 2008 at 9:18 PM
omgosh. this is so freaky but also cool, i dont know wether i would do this to my self because i would be terrified to have an operation on my brain just to have a chip implanted there. it would be like we all are zombies communicating in silence through our brains, and what if say, you liked somebody and they hacked into you r brain and found out?
#44 Old 7th Mar 2008 at 10:39 PM
Look up Ghost in the Shell.
Then tell me you like the idea.
Scholar
#45 Old 8th Mar 2008 at 3:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Elyasis
Look up Ghost in the Shell.
Then tell me you like the idea.

Watched the movies and both series of the SAC. I still like the idea.
#46 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 7:26 AM
I wouldn't mind being a cyborg. This sounds like a much better idea than genetic engineering. Imagine the possibility.
Field Researcher
#47 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 12:31 AM
Ah, the age of Ghost in the Shell is rapidly approaching. I just hope that there will be a Major Kusanagi to stop all those pesky brain hackers.

From a scientific standpoint, the idea of a chip allowing humans to download entire experiences and knowledge straight into their brains would be an incredible, unbelievable advancement--second only to constructing a computer with the complexity and capacity of the human brain.

I'm personally giddy with excitement about this concept. Of course the risks would be great, but wouldn't the potential benefits be much more salient? With the development of every new technology, there will be people who use it as a tool for good or evil. Some malicious characters will no doubt use it for their evil deeds. We've got to think of this technology in the light of how it may potentially benefit humankind.

There will always be two camps on every issue. Let's not get at each other's throats about this...it's not even reality yet.

"Make believe in magic, make believe in dreams
Make believe impossible, nothing as it seems
See, touch, taste, smell, hear, but never know if it's real"
--The Cure, "More Than This"
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 5:01 PM
Am I against the idea of a chip?

Not at all, I just hope that people who get one have a full background check, full training and undergo psychological screening before and after so it's not a total free-for-all because even rich people can be cracked in the head.

Would I personally get one?

No, I prefer to keep my mind as my own with my thoughts as my own without having to put up a firewall and the idea of being one of many in a collective-like mind gives me the heebies...I don't need more voices in my mind, thank you very much.

I'm more of the type who wants those chips in the eyes that immediately locate objects and invisibility suits, the "assassin's best friend" as my friend calls it.

"I am a fly in the ointment, I am a whisper in the shadows. I am also an old, old woman. More than that you need not know."
#49 Old 1st Apr 2008 at 9:50 AM
volunteer self for testing.
#50 Old 3rd Apr 2008 at 8:44 AM
What's the source of this text? I'd like to research more

Page 2 of 3