Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
#51 Old 3rd Apr 2008 at 12:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nouk
What's the source of this text? I'd like to research more

Just google Kevin Warwick. Cyborgs are pretty much all he ever talks about, because he claims that he is the world's first.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 3rd Apr 2008 at 7:42 PM
Well, the human brain has one severe limitation on its speed -- chemistry. Even if our neurons sent information at the speed of light, the weak link in the chain are the synapses. A synapse is where two neurons "connect," but the connection isn't direct. For one neuron to pass its signal on to the next neuron, it has to release a chemical (a neurotransmitter) that travels to the other neuron and stimulates it to continue the impulse. And compared to the purely electrical signals that computers ues, chemical signals are sloooooow. This is one of the main reasons that some people theorize that the human mind may eventually "migrate" to computer based systems, since the spirit may be willing (to go faster), but the flesh is weak.

As far as the idea of becoming cyborgs and having our minds "accessible" in the distant future, I would think that there would be some sort of firewall that could keep out people that don't have permission to enter, and you could select what you would and would not share with the world. Just think, a mind with a "my shared documents" folder

It would make relationships interesting. How long would you have to date someone before you gave them the password to your brain?
Scholar
#53 Old 4th Apr 2008 at 5:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Cloudchaser
How long would you have to date someone before you gave them the password to your brain?

It would be a bit like sleeping together I think.

I'm imagining that around about the time you'd first sleep with a person, would be the time when you could try a few minutes of "mind-melding".

Then depending on how compatible your brains are, maybe when you progress to the stage of living together or get engaged, you could be in each others heads all the time.

Though I feel that such contact could drastically reduce the length of any relationship, unless people are perfect matches or very accepting of their partner's flaws (pharmacologists will probably make a drug for that by then).

Page 3 of 3