Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 95 (Who?), Viewed: 9374 times.
Page 1 of 4
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 6:49 PM
Default Assisted Suicide/Voluntary Euthanasia
Should assisted suicide be legalized?

Assisted Suicide, also called Voluntary Euthanasia, is currently a contentious issue in many countries. The question in the debate is this: if a terminally ill person decides that they wish to end their life, is it acceptable for others to assist them? This would normally take the form of a doctor administering a lethal injection, which would end their life painlessly. A clear distinction must be made with involuntary euthanasia, by which someone is ‘put down’ against their wishes, and which is simply murder by another name.

"Going to the chapel of Love"

the girls club . statistics . yearbook .
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 8:47 PM
It's so funny that you started a thread like this because just the other night I was debating whether or not to start one like this, only my question was a bit different. I was going to ask if suicide should be legalized for those who truly feel that life is too overwhelming and that they have no contribution to the world (like from depression or other mental illnesses). But I was afraid the thread would be too controversial for this site. Like me, there are many people out there who suffer from Major Depression which in turn can lead to suicide depending on the severity of the moment. I know that there is help out there but there is no cure. Maybe deep down inside I don't want to die but there are people who actually do but who don't want the physical pain that comes with it. Sorry if this sounds a bit twisted, just wanted to get that out of the way.

As for the actual debate, I think it should. I know what it's like to suffer and I only seem to have it easy with Major Depression. Try cancer, AIDS or other illnesses. People end up in so much pain be it emotional or physical or even both, why should they have to suffer if they are going to die anyway?

I watched my uncle who died of AIDS back in 1996 at age 33 when I was 17 and how abnormally skinny he got in just a few months. He was so weak and skinny that he couldn't even move at all. He looked dead and it was very creepy. His birthday was a couple of days before his death and while everyone celebrated, he sat in his wheelchair unable to enjoy it because he couldn't even move his mouth to smile. At that point there was no way he was going to recover. Yes, he did die eventually, but what's so wrong with legalizing suicide in this case? Are friends and family members that selfish that they want him to continue suffering?

When I am suicidal and I post personal blogs as a way to vent (it's healthier than bottling it all up and I have no one in person to talk to), my online friends all tell me that I would be selfish to take my own life away, which according to voluntary euthanasia is technically the same thing. What's so selfish about that? I really don't get what they mean. I know that friends and family will suffer when their loved ones die, but still, how is that selfish when it comes to suffering? Don't they want you to rest in peace and not feel anymore pain?

Yes, there are people out there who would do anything to have the ability to walk, talk, hear, see, etc., like I do. And I can accept the fact tat I am not very grateful of my life. But it's kind of being very wealthy and still be miserable. Just because you have something that another person wishes to have doesn't mean you are lucky.

EDIT: Also, why is it that people seem to be okay with it when it comes to pets but never people? Humans are not any more valuable than animals.

I speak English primarily. Hablo español. Falo muito português.
Je voudrais practiquer mon français. Ich lerne deutsch. Parlo poco italiano.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 9:18 PM
While we studied ethics in journalism, we were instructed to choose a contentious political topic and write a factual, persuasive essay- my topic was euthanasia. I'm a complete advocate, be the euthansia passive (terminating a comatose life) or active (voluntary termination).

Why should a person with a terminal illness be forced to suffer agonizing pain, both physical and emotional, that the majority of lawmakers haven't experienced and therefore should not judge? If I were in a situation in which I somehow became comatose or fought an incessant, losing battle with a terminal disease, I wouldn't want to be sustained by modern medicine, no matter how much I appreciate the science. There comes a time when people no longer have neither the will nor the strength to fight any more, and it's utterly inhumane to prolong a life limited to suffering and pain when the person no longer wishes to live. There have been outcries that euthanasia is murder, but how is a voluntary request to be lethally injected murder in any form or fashion? If lawmakers are concerned about the possibility that doctors may force a patient's hand, more red tape should be involved. I see absolutely no reason not to legalize active euthanasia- it's cruel that people who are perhaps physically unable to take their own lives (hence their search for a doctor's help) should be forced to suffer.

As for passive euthanasia, I can't imagine anyone who would be opposed. If the family is consenting, what should stop them from terminating a life that isn't being lived? If the family wishes that their loved one continues to be sustained on life support, then it's no skin off my nose, but to me, being sustained by artificial methods isn't living- it's surviving. It's not something I would want for myself, and I wouldn't wish for anyone else to waste away in a hospital bed. I don't see why people are willing to put down their pets wily-nily (I had neighbors that put down their collie because he growled at another neighbor) but shudder at the idea of euthanizing humans- seems like a vicious double standard, to me. In essence, no one should have to suffer if they don't want to. You have the right to decide how you live your life, and you certainly should have the right to end it on your own terms.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
.
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 9:23 PM
Frankie and Rabid I agree; I have a hard time grasping on to the fact that someone would want to die but for those who are in the late stages of a terminal disease have a horrific future ahead of them: the gradual decline of their body, the failure of their organs and the need for artificial support. In some cases, the illness will slowly destroy their minds, the essence of themselves; even if this is not the case, the huge amounts of medication required to ‘control’ their pain will often leave them in a delirious and incapable state. Faced with this, it is surely more humane that those people be allowed to choose the manner of their own end, and die with dignity.

"Going to the chapel of Love"

the girls club . statistics . yearbook .
Banned
DELETED POST
10th Jan 2009 at 9:35 PM
This message has been deleted by Extensa5420.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 9:37 PM
Personally, I feel that your life is up to you on how you live it. I think that what you do, so long as it doesn't effect someone harmfully (as in drinking and driving, where you stand the chance of harming someone else by ending their life or permanently disabling them) should be up to the person. That's how I feel about drugs, legalized euthanasia, and most decisions that other people deem "harmful" to society (Being gay, for instance, should not keep you from being married. I find it stupid that anyone would want to restrict another human being from happiness... but that's for another topic).

As someone who has seen the suffering of my father until he passed away... I think I would like the decision to end my life if I so wanted it. I'm not saying he would have, but after seeing him waste away, sit in a chair for the last year of his life, and not even be able to walk and breathe without assistance... I know I wouldn't want that for me. Which is why I hope I die young and in a flaming ball of glory. Or something to that effect.

Honestly, sometimes, that decision to end your life seems like it's the only decision you have left, the only one you can freely make where there won't have to be anything else at all. I understand depression, and regardless of what people say, that there's always another way, always another decision... if you aren't happy, there really doesn't seem like there's another decision. Don't get me wrong, suicide greatly impacts and is completely detrimental to loved ones, so I wouldn't condone it now. However, if you're terminally ill and there really isn't that much of a chance for you to actually LIVE, then I would gladly like the voluntary euthanasia.

These are only my thoughts, though. Don't take it as scripture. Heh.

Lesse

Loff
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 9:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extensa5420
I think that "assisted suicide" or "voluntary euthanasia" has already been legalized...or at least in my area. :smash:



Maybe I didn't make the debate question clear enough. Do YOU think Voluntary Euthanasia should be legalized. Just because it's legalized in your area doesn't mean everyone approve of it.

"Going to the chapel of Love"

the girls club . statistics . yearbook .
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 9:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie

EDIT: Also, why is it that people seem to be okay with it when it comes to pets but never people? Humans are not any more valuable than animals.


100% Agreed.

I think if a person wishes to die, why keep them suffering. Like others have said why should they continue to suffer in pain when they're going to die anyway?

Previously known as 'simcharley1990'
#8 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 10:04 PM
The worst thing that has happened to me, or my family, is watching my Grandfather die of Motor Neuron Disease.

For those that have never heard of MND, it is a disease where electrical signals stop getting to the muscles, so you slowly lose the ability to talk, eat, or move, the body becomes paralysed but very, very slowly. Watching someone die of it is...a living nightmare.

One of the worst parts of it was seeing my Grandad die very very slowly, but know that if he asked my Nan or Dad or aunt for help in ending his life, they could be taken to court for it.

The legislation would need to be carefully worded so that there are no loop holes, and so that people cannot take advantage of the law, but it is something that needs to be allowed. You cannot tell someone who is terminally ill with NO CHANCE of recovery that they must continue to live in pain and misery.

I think the problem is that death scares us all to a degree, and knowing that someone WANTS to die to so horrifying that we feel we must save them from themselves. But the fact of the matter is that there are some really nasty, incurable diseases out there, such as MND, Alzheimers and Parkinsons, they destroy your body but leave your mind intact, or destroy your mind but leave your body capable, until the final stages any way.

What anti-euthanasia people don't understand is that there is very little research going in to these diseases because they're not particularly common (especially when compared to cancer), but they are incredibly destructive. If these people put the energy they use for anti-euthanasia arguments, in to fundraising to pay for research instead, in 20 years time we would have a much better understanding of these diseases and could create some proper treatments for them! The drug for MND destroys your liver while it works, so you get a choice, would you like to die when your chest muslces eventually give out, or die of liver failure? Not much of a choice is it.

I will always be pro-assisted suicide, but I will do what I can to raise money for MND charities, as well as raise awareness in to what MND is and how destructive it is. I consider that to be my legacy from my Grandad, even if it is not the one he wanted to give me.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 10:07 PM
I think it should certainly be legal. I'd much rather have a quick, painless death than live for 6 more months in agonizing pain.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 10:08 PM
Clinical Depression (as in not normal and eventual) is a very iffy one and I'm still thinking about that one because while there is no cure for it, it can still be treated. One can say they want to die because of feeling suicidal but the next day (because of moodswings) they may feel a little better and not want to die. But some truly do want to die and never snap out of it. That is why I'm still thinking about this in terms of it being included in voluntary euthanasia, especially because it's a lot more controversial. However, I can't pick and choose, as it's not fair, so if I am all for legalizing voluntary euthanasia, it has to include all types of cases, not just physical illnesses, but mental illnesses as well.

Think about this, however...

01. What about someone who is mentally insane, as in like the movies (yes, they do exist)? The kind who is so violent and out of control and so out of touch with reality, etc.? Should they, too, have the right to die? Well, I'm not sure if they are capable of wanting to die, are they?

02. What about the ones who are possessed by the devil? That is, if demonic possession exists? I'm not sure if it does or not, but assuming it does, do they have the right to die because of knowing how dangerous they are? If they were exorcised, they may be too afraid to live in fear that it can happen again and they may end up murdering someone.

Just food for thought, I guess.

I speak English primarily. Hablo español. Falo muito português.
Je voudrais practiquer mon français. Ich lerne deutsch. Parlo poco italiano.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie
Clinical Depression (as in not normal and eventual) is a very iffy one and I'm still thinking about that one because while there is no cure for it, it can still be treated. One can say they want to die because of feeling suicidal but the next day (because of moodswings) they may feel a little better and not want to die. But some truly do want to die and never snap out of it. That is why I'm still thinking about this in terms of it being included in voluntary euthanasia, especially because it's a lot more controversial. However, I can't pick and choose, as it's not fair, so if I am all for legalizing voluntary euthanasia, it has to include all types of cases, not just physical illnesses, but mental illnesses as well.

Think about this, however...

01. What about someone who is mentally insane, as in like the movies (yes, they do exist)? The kind who is so violent and out of control and so out of touch with reality, etc.? Should they, too, have the right to die? Well, I'm not sure if they are capable of wanting to die, are they?

02. What about the ones who are possessed by the devil? That is, if demonic possession exists? I'm not sure if it does or not, but assuming it does, do they have the right to die because of knowing how dangerous they are? If they were exorcised, they may be too afraid to live in fear that it can happen again and they may end up murdering someone.

Just food for thought, I guess.

I've had symptoms of clinical depression since 6th grade. I'm just now getting treatment for it. This is where euthanasia gets complicated because some people may be suicidal because of a disorder and not know about it.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 10:17 PM
I agree. That is why I said it was iffy. But I was referring to the ones who knew about it and still wanted to die because they refused to live life on medication and with the illness. They long to be "normal" and knowing that they never can, it tears them apart. It's painful, too.

I speak English primarily. Hablo español. Falo muito português.
Je voudrais practiquer mon français. Ich lerne deutsch. Parlo poco italiano.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 10:18 PM
Certainly legalized. I remember reading an article about this woman who wanted to end her life and it was denied and eventually they found her "mentally unstable" just because she wanted to end her life. I can't remember what was wrong with her but I do remember it made every second of every day painful to live.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 10:19 PM
Personally I think V.E. should just be allowed for the terminally ill and not for the mentally ill. Mental Illness is something that you can get help for.

"Going to the chapel of Love"

the girls club . statistics . yearbook .
Mad Poster
#15 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 10:56 PM
I understand to a certain extent about mental illness, but there are some mental illnesses that are more severe. Maybe not depression because you can get help for that, but what about mentally insane where you are permanently out of touch with reality? That has to suck.

I speak English primarily. Hablo español. Falo muito português.
Je voudrais practiquer mon français. Ich lerne deutsch. Parlo poco italiano.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalSarcasm
The worst thing that has happened to me, or my family, is watching my Grandfather die of Motor Neuron Disease.
That must have been truly awful, and I'm so sorry. Both of my maternal grandparents have severe, advanced Alzheimer's Disease, so I've experienced a little bit of that particular pain.

I have no qualms about allowing euthanasia in cases of terminal physical illness when the patient is mentally capable. I fully agree with passive euthanasia, as well. It's with mental illness that I struggle.

My grandfather's Alzheimer's makes him muddled and angry, even mean, and he gets frustrated with himself and the situation. He's asked my aunt, who takes care of both of my grandparents on a day-to-day basis, to get the gun out and shoot him. Should his wish be honored? He is quite obviously not himself and not in a mentally stable condition, but the misery of his life at this point is also obvious if you spend ten minutes in his company. Should he get to decide when he wants to die? Should that decision be left to his family, even though he's not in a vegetative state?

It's a tough issue.

Instructor
#17 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 11:32 PM
Well punishing people for helping with euthanasia is a badd idea.
that's all I''ll say, I'm not really sure what I think, because really it's not somethin I like thinking about. =(

edit: killin people with mental illness? that I disagree with strongly.. it just isn't right... =(
Mad Poster
#18 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot93
killin people with mental illness? that I disagree with strongly.. it just isn't right... =(


Well, it would be their choice was what I meant.

I speak English primarily. Hablo español. Falo muito português.
Je voudrais practiquer mon français. Ich lerne deutsch. Parlo poco italiano.
A missing part of me that grows around me like a cage
staff: retired moderator
#19 Old 11th Jan 2009 at 1:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamydre15
Personally I think A.E. should just be allowed for the terminally ill and not for the mentally ill. Mental Illness is something that you can get help for.

But certain mental illnesses are incurable and can make life very difficult. I have three friends who have different types of schizophrenia- two live full and active lives but one suffers a lot and cannot cope with everyday life. He quite often expresses the desire to end his life, and I would judge him capable of making that decision. His medication helps, but does not fully suppress the illness- and it also has side effects which he finds very unpleasant. On the other hand, an Alzheimer's victim may not be capable of making a judgement- and sometimes severely depressed people, too. But still, even if a depressed person does have the prospect of recovery, should they be stopped from taking their own life if they wish to?

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
RUSH
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 11th Jan 2009 at 2:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsample
But still, even if a depressed person does have the prospect of recovery, should they be stopped from taking their own life if they wish to?


Yes they should be stopped. I can see if they were terminally ill but Depression I would have to disagree it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Gah! and I said A.E. when I meant V.E. I feel so smart :banned:

"Going to the chapel of Love"

the girls club . statistics . yearbook .
Scholar
#21 Old 11th Jan 2009 at 2:27 AM
Here I was all prepared to wade into this thread, expressing my troll nature by supporting both active and passive euthanasia, but I see here that most people support it and have good reasons too.

I'm pleasantly surprised.
A missing part of me that grows around me like a cage
staff: retired moderator
#22 Old 11th Jan 2009 at 2:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamydre15
Yes they should be stopped. I can see if they were terminally ill but Depression I would have to disagree it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Not always so temporary. Sufferers can be plagued throughout their lives by depression. It can affect every aspect of their lives- relationships, ability to work, ability to socialise, ability to eat. It's not just being a bit miserable for a couple of weeks, you know.

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
RUSH
Field Researcher
#23 Old 11th Jan 2009 at 3:58 AM
First, I would like to commend the posters thus far from this thread....

I, too, expected the usual religious rhetoric... and if not religious.. at least those vehemently disapproving over their belief that it is "selfish."

I am all for VE, and hope that the US will someday finally figure out that a human can rationally decide they want to die. Not everyone that is suicidal is 'crazy,' or "just depressed."

Peace

I am not bigoted for race, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, or age... I do, however, have a big problem with stupidity, and stupidity knows no boundaries.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#24 Old 11th Jan 2009 at 4:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doddibot
Here I was all prepared to wade into this thread, expressing my troll nature by supporting both active and passive euthanasia, but I see here that most people support it and have good reasons too.

I'm pleasantly surprised.


Me too!! This is a first...


Quote:
Originally Posted by simsample
It's not just being a bit miserable for a couple of weeks, you know.

I know that, but I just disagree.

"Going to the chapel of Love"

the girls club . statistics . yearbook .
#25 Old 11th Jan 2009 at 4:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamydre15
Should assisted suicide be legalized?

if a terminally ill person decides that they wish to end their life, is it acceptable for others to assist them?


There is no comparison between the right to life and other rights. When you choose to remain silent, you may change your mind at a later date; when you choose to die, you have no such second chance. Participating in someone’s death is also to participate in depriving them of all choices they might make in the future, and is therefore immoral.
Page 1 of 4
Back to top

Section jump