Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
#26 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 11:02 PM
OMG, the Batman voice annoys me so much. And yeah... Joker's does sound a bit like Mary Murphy. I like his better, though. Everytime Mary laughs, I cringe.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 11:21 PM
The make-up for Two-Face was amazing! Even looking at him from the good side it kinda looked like some of his face was missing on the other side. I usually enjoy Eckhart's work but he still surprised me here. I'm going to see this movie again later when it's not so fresh in my mind. I can't stop thinking about it. I agree with Batman's voice. It is kinda annoying but at least he's making an effort to disguise it. Also, I think he speaks in that tone because he's full of rage and trouble. I didn't like what happened at the end but they'll fix it in the next movie.

I bet Ledger who've been in the next movie if tragedy hadn't struck.

Who is Mary Murphy?
Field Researcher
#28 Old 21st Jul 2008 at 4:58 PM
People do seem to object to Bale's choice to "husky up" the B-man's voice. Personally I think it's completely right. His yuppie Bruce Wayne businessman voice would sound incongruous coming out of Batman. Besides, he has to make an effort to disguise his identity.
Field Researcher
#29 Old 21st Jul 2008 at 5:12 PM
Bruce Wayne's yuppy voice reminds me of Bale's character from 'American Psycho' - I half expect him to start brandishing an axe and singing to Phil Collins, Chris De Burgh or Huey Lewis

I think the voice is there to try and mask the fact he is really Bruce Wayne; the mask covers the face etc but I guess his voice would be a big give away. Much better disguise then Superman/Clark Kent's glasses

I've been waiting to see this movie since I first heard about it several months ago, but it annoys me when people like my dad say 'Oh you're only seeing it because that bloke died' - no, some of us actually want to see the movie because we're comic and movie fans. He had the same attitude when I went to see Iron Man (i.e. 'You're only seeing it because Robert Downey Jr is in it') - he can't seem to grasp that his daughter prefers action movies to chick flicks
Field Researcher
#30 Old 21st Jul 2008 at 5:18 PM
True; it really is creepy how alike Bruce Wayne and Bateman are. The serial killing aside, they could be the same person! Actually, Batman's got the killing down too.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 21st Jul 2008 at 11:08 PM
This movie was great. Best I've seen in ages.
Will go again lol

I love Jude Law
Field Researcher
#32 Old 22nd Jul 2008 at 12:13 AM
Yea i loved this movie and will probably go see it again at the alamo drafthouse where they serve beer and dinner with the movie.
#33 Old 22nd Jul 2008 at 1:22 PM
Well I can't see the movie in the cinema, so I'm going to download it. Because I'm 14 and I must be 16 to see it in the cinema
Alchemist
#34 Old 22nd Jul 2008 at 2:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LONGdress
Well I can't see the movie in the cinema, so I'm going to download it. Because I'm 14 and I must be 16 to see it in the cinema

I wouldn't say that if I were you.

As far as Batman's voice: I was a bit surprised by it at first but grew used to it. It sounded a bit silly when he said different things, for sure. I think he could have toned it down, just a touch. I actually like the 'Batmen' from previous movies. Their voices were good.

In fact, does anyone else think the old movies were better? At least the first two, maybe three. I like the portrayal of Gothem in the older movies. This new Gothem(sp?) just looks like NYC or something.
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 22nd Jul 2008 at 2:31 PM
I swear there were parts where Heath laughed that it sounded like Jack Nicholson's laugh lol!
Mad Poster
#36 Old 22nd Jul 2008 at 2:32 PM
I didn't really mind the Batman voice. He obviously had to do something- the public would recognize him if he spoke like Bruce Wayne. I agree with coltraz about Gotham looking a little like NYC, but did anyone notice the amount of endorsements? There was a Canon building in Hong Kong, a Chase building in Gotham, etc. I thought it was rather clever. I do think that Bale is the best Batman ever, though, and that Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are the best in the series. My only question is how Rachel didn't recognize him all through Batman Begins... she grew up with him and she can see the lower half of his face, yet not identify it?

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Alchemist
#37 Old 22nd Jul 2008 at 2:37 PM
Can you recognise someone by their chin and lips? Maybe...
Mad Poster
#38 Old 22nd Jul 2008 at 2:45 PM
I would think that she could, since they grew up together. Although, he had been missing for... was it eight years, at the start of Batman Begins. This is what peeves me off about Spiderman, too... the kiss in the rain when she pulls down his mask and Mary Jane still can't tell that it's Peter.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 22nd Jul 2008 at 3:03 PM
best.movie/ever! i saw it in a regular theater and once imax calms down, i'm gonna check it out there too!!!
#40 Old 22nd Jul 2008 at 8:13 PM
I saw it in IMAX as well. Awesome movie, and my favorite Batman movie ever.
Original Poster
#41 Old 22nd Jul 2008 at 11:07 PM
It's previewing tomorrow at where I work. Argh, it's gonna be manic!
Scholar
#42 Old 22nd Jul 2008 at 11:13 PM
Rabid, Mary-Jane, in my opinion, had all the intellect of a fly. Parker could have just told her and she'd be like... 'No, you're pulling my leg...'
Charlie-Chan, I am so jealous! I have to watch it when they open showings near where I live... must.

"Life is just a chance to grow a soul" - A. Powell Davies
Theorist
#43 Old 22nd Jul 2008 at 11:29 PM
Why didn't Rachel recognize him in Batman Begins? Couple of reasons. The disguised voice was a good plan by Bruce, because it prevented her from recognizing his voice, which she would know instantly. Second, the cowl hid over 50% of his face, which further would disguise his identity. Lastly, Rachel couldn't recognize it, because she couldn't conceive that Bruce Wayne was capable of it. She was psychologically prevented from even considering him, because Batman was so far removed from Bruce Wayne's character. Batman is incredibly tough, Bruce is kind of a wimp. Batman uses bats, Bruce is afraid of bats.

When you add all those things up, it is enough to prevent her from seeing him for who he really was. Each taken individually, perhaps she sees through the disguise. Perhaps even with all three aspects to his disguise, eventually she would see through it...But Batman Begins really doesn't cover all that much time since he first dons the mask. She didn't have enough time to put all the pieces together. I can buy her not figuring it out, its far more believable than Lois Lane not figuring out Superman = Clark Kent.

NOW, on to Dark Knight. BEST MOVIE OF THE SUMMER, by far. This film is one of those few instances where the movie actually not only lives up to the enormous hype, but actually exceeds it. Everything the critics said about Heath Ledger being considered for an Oscar posthumously for his Joker is true. He really is brilliant in the part, they weren't just being gracious to a dead actor. Ledger completely owns Nicholson's portrayal. Aaron Eckhart also gets much love from me for his role as Harvey Dent. He did a great job portraying Dent as an idealistic attorney, ready to save Gotham, and then, after some stuff happens (not gonna spoil it) not so much with the saving Gotham part. :goodbad

Seriously folks. It would take an absolutely phenomenal film to do Ironman one better. This is that film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama on ABC's This Week, discussing Obamacare
What it's saying is, is that we're not going to have other people carrying your burdens for you anymore
umm...Isn't having other people carry your medical burden exactly what national health care is?
#44 Old 23rd Jul 2008 at 5:54 AM
Saw it yesterday, it was awesome and better than I expected.
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 24th Jul 2008 at 4:23 AM
Yes, you can recognize someone from their mouth and chin. Sometimes the little things tip people off.

As for Mary Jane and the kiss...They were in the dark, it was raining and he was upside down so she couldn't see much anyway. I don't think of Mary Jane as stupid.
Test Subject
#46 Old 24th Jul 2008 at 4:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by afinefrenzy
Everytime Mary laughs, I cringe.

Me tooo. My mom and I skip through her input, too. I don't wanna be on the Hot Tamale Train, if the conductor's that loud.

On topic, I loved The Dark Knight. Nom nom Christian Bale <33 *cough* But Heath Ledger did an amazing job as the Joker, and I liked his take on the character. Harvey Dent was my favorite, especially what he becomes.

Oh, and Gotham was actually mostly Chicago. I liked it better than their old cities, the old architecture was a lot more dramatic than just skyscrapers.
Field Researcher
#47 Old 25th Jul 2008 at 7:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by afinefrenzy
"Wanna see a pencil trick?"
I snort-laughed in the theater at that.

That was my all time favorite part! I about lost it! I never laughed so hard in my life. Of course, I have a really sick sense of humor lol!
#48 Old 25th Jul 2008 at 8:01 AM
Seen it twice already, I am still dazzled by it. And the Joker's laughter creeps the everliving hell outta me - and that takes a lot to do. XD

Best movie of the year. Period.

Pardon me while I have a strange interlude.
Alchemist
#49 Old 25th Jul 2008 at 11:21 AM
What do you guys think of this?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7519246.stm
Personally I think the journalist is stretching...
Field Researcher
#50 Old 25th Jul 2008 at 11:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by coltraz
What do you guys think of this?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7519246.stm
Personally I think the journalist is stretching...

I agree. In a sea of critics and journalists praising Ledger as The Joker, it seems this guy just wants to get people to listen to him by saying 'well, he was okay, but Bale was better."

Ledger carried the film. I love Bale, don't get me wrong, but I hardly noticed him when The Joker was on the screen.
Page 2 of 4