Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Aug 2008 at 12:40 AM
Default Games That You Can't Win
While sorting through some of my old computer games earlier, I came across a few that I could never defeat and thought that it would make a good thread. What game have you never been able to win, no matter how hard you tried? For me, it was Barbie Carnival Caper- I played that game like mad when I was younger and never managed to find the carnival caper. I even got my sister to try, and despite being nineteen back then, she couldn't win, either. I also couldn't defeat Where In Time Is Carmen San Diego- I always got hung up at the Leif Ericsson mission because I couldn't find the last clue. But enough about me- what games can't you win?

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 25th Aug 2008 at 12:45 AM
I used to play a Scooby Doo game and I never won. My sister could, but never me. It used to make me cry, but now I can't even find the game. There was also a Madeline game I could never beat. I played some really weird games...
Field Researcher
#3 Old 25th Aug 2008 at 1:34 AM
Rayman! Oh my god, I remember one part where you had to surf down this obstacle course- which was entirely coated in lava and such. I never got past it, and my dad tried several times and couldn't get past it either. I really want to try that again, now. :P

"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right."
-Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

Yearbook
Alchemist
#4 Old 25th Aug 2008 at 2:19 AM
I could never win that Barbie game either... friggin' Barbie. What is she doing investigating carnivals anyways? There was Spyro too, never could beat that. Hmm... what else. OH! These Nancy Drew games... there was one about a Haunted Mansion/hotel thing that I could never beat. I had won all the others, but never that one. I'm thinking of reinstalling it and trying it again.
Moderator of Camera Models
retired moderator
#5 Old 26th Aug 2008 at 2:17 AM
*points posters in the direction of www.gamefaqs.com for the purposes of finding the answers to their woes and in the direction of www.gamerankings.com so they can find some good games and stop buying licensed Barbie rubbish* :P

*** Games Journalist with the magazines PC Powerplay and Hyper ***

And guys don't say a game is 'addicting'. That is a horrible massacre of the English language. The word is 'addictive'. Thank you. :)
Theorist
#6 Old 26th Aug 2008 at 2:35 AM
Back when I was around 7 I used to play Lion King on SEGA, and I couldn't figure out what to do at the stage with caves, I was really frustated. 3 years later I was around 10 and still can't beat the game. I have since given up.

I think I never finished Aladdin too, and Rayman definitely. Whether it's Rayman 1, 2, 3, etc. I ALWAYS stuck at certain level. I remember one of them being the one with lava, and we're supposed to fly upwards, but there's this big ass rock coming down and squished the character

Oh, and I don't think I can finish any Agatha Christie games without a walkthrough *hangs head in shame* In "And then there were none", I was stuck at the very beginning where I should find a flashlight. It took me 2 hours just to find it, and a day to look for the battery. I gave up and looked for a guide. Who in their right mind would keep batteries in a flour sack?
Field Researcher
#7 Old 26th Aug 2008 at 2:43 AM
super mario sunshine ! those friggin secret levels where FLUDD was taken away from you, why did they make them so difficult !

oh yeah and beyond good and evil, i know its an awesome game but i got stuck on a level, and cus i'm so darn lucky my memory card became full whilst i was playing so i couldnt save

Head Of Staff & Writer @ LivingSims Magazine

Interested In Working At LivingSims ? Then Check This Out
retired moderator
#8 Old 26th Aug 2008 at 7:39 AM
Bad news regarding Beyond Good & Evil there... you may want to start her up again considering the sequel is now in production. Huzzah!

Quote: Originally posted by treeag
Back when I was around 7 I used to play Lion King on SEGA, and I couldn't figure out what to do at the stage with caves, I was really frustated. 3 years later I was around 10 and still can't beat the game. I have since given up.

I think I never finished Aladdin too, and Rayman definitely. Whether it's Rayman 1, 2, 3, etc. I ALWAYS stuck at certain level. I remember one of them being the one with lava, and we're supposed to fly upwards, but there's this big ass rock coming down and squished the character

Oh, and I don't think I can finish any Agatha Christie games without a walkthrough *hangs head in shame* In "And then there were none", I was stuck at the very beginning where I should find a flashlight. It took me 2 hours just to find it, and a day to look for the battery. I gave up and looked for a guide. Who in their right mind would keep batteries in a flour sack?

It's called bad game design. Please people... I implore you... read what the critics who have to play these games say. They play them so you don't have to.

And guys don't say a game is 'addicting'. That is a horrible massacre of the English language. The word is 'addictive'. Thank you. :)
#9 Old 26th Aug 2008 at 7:47 AM
I've never beat any of the Final Fantasy games. I'm not so sure that it's because I can't beat them, more like I get bored and stop playing.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 26th Aug 2008 at 7:52 AM
I loved the Barbie games. I beat Carnival Caper, but with my brother's help. I could never beat Where in the World is Carmen San Diego. It was an awesome game (at least, that's what my 7 year old self tells me) but I couldn't beat it. There was also another Barbie game when she was at a fashion show, and I sucked so bad at it, but then again, my brother couldn't get past the same bit.
Scholar
#11 Old 26th Aug 2008 at 9:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElPresidente
Bad news regarding Beyond Good & Evil there... you may want to start her up again considering the sequel is now in production. Huzzah!

Yeah, I remember watching the trailer some time ago.....really one of the sequels I was hoping against hope would finally get made. I might very well reinstall the original game!

I was never able to beat Ninja Gaiden Black on 'Very Hard'. Just 'Normal' and 'Hard'. I cleared the first level of 'Very Hard', but just barely. I guess I just wasn't 'hardcore' enough.

"We're on sob day two of Operation Weeping-Bald-Eagle-Liberty-Never-Forget-Freedom-Watch sniff no word yet sob on our missing patriot Glenn Beck sob as alleged-President Hussein Obama shows his explicit support sniff for his fellow communists by ruling out the nuclear option."
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 26th Aug 2008 at 9:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PixCii
I loved the Barbie games. I beat Carnival Caper, but with my brother's help. I could never beat Where in the World is Carmen San Diego. It was an awesome game (at least, that's what my 7 year old self tells me) but I couldn't beat it. There was also another Barbie game when she was at a fashion show, and I sucked so bad at it, but then again, my brother couldn't get past the same bit.

You beat Carnival Caper?! Where the hell was he?! I slaved over that game... if it was compatible with Vista, I would still be trying to defeat it. Carmen Sandiego was indeed an awesome game (I loved the scenario with Nefertiti) and it was very educational, but it drove me insane. Did you manage to get past the Leif Ericsson scenario, or is that where you failed, too? I even roped adults into playing and they couldn't beat either.

Quote: Originally posted by afinefrenzy

friggin' Barbie. What is she doing investigating carnivals anyways?

I have no idea whatsoever. I would very much like to know what she was doing deep-sea diving- I had that game, too .

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Test Subject
#13 Old 26th Aug 2008 at 9:38 PM
I always struggled with Mario Kart on the SNES (Rainbow Road!!))

I always used to get to the 2nd lap, then eveytime, without fail... Yoshi would knock me off and I'd be down in eighth. It took me 16 years to complete that (I recently ressurected my SNES - looks great on a 32 inch TV!)
Field Researcher
#14 Old 27th Aug 2008 at 5:16 AM
I really suck at games I rarely beat any!! Thats why I like the sims, and harvest moon..

The really hard ones for me are the Final Fantasy series, but i did get the the second disk in FF7!
Test Subject
#15 Old 27th Aug 2008 at 5:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by declandabest

oh yeah and beyond good and evil, i know its an awesome game but i got stuck on a level, and cus i'm so darn lucky my memory card became full whilst i was playing so i couldnt save

Wow, we must be gaming twins or something. Never met somebody who played both TR and Good and Evil...

Anyway, I can't beat Heavenly Sword no matter how hard I try. I am stuck in the first fight with Bohan and have tried every trick in the book. UGH
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 27th Aug 2008 at 6:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simply_Sims
I've never beat any of the Final Fantasy games. I'm not so sure that it's because I can't beat them, more like I get bored and stop playing.

Same. I've never finished X-2 because I got so frustrated just trying to beat all the levels and finding all the spheres. That and I can't find the disk!

I also never beat Barbie Race & Ride for the PS1. I still have no idea where all the puzzle pieces are, I've only ever found one.
#17 Old 27th Aug 2008 at 7:06 AM
i think the last level of driver on ps1 was actually physically impossible. i think.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 27th Aug 2008 at 7:22 AM
Unless I'm remembering a different game, I think I beat Carnival Caper when I had it. That's odd, because I hardly ever finish games.

One game I did play for a while and never end up finishing was Super Mario 64, however that was probably due to laziness, not getting stuck at a certain point. I probably could have gone further had I been motivated to.

Banjo-Kazooie (the original on the N64) was like that, too. Not extremely difficult, but I never ended up finishing it.

Ocarina of Time had me stuck in the forest temple. I'm not very good at puzzle-type games, so a puzzle temple just has me completely screwed. Never bothered to finish it once I got stuck.

Twitter | Tumblr | YouTube

28/11/07
retired moderator
#19 Old 28th Aug 2008 at 4:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ElektraNatchios33
Wow, we must be gaming twins or something. Never met somebody who played both TR and Good and Evil...

You should meet more people. :P

Quote:
Anyway, I can't beat Heavenly Sword no matter how hard I try. I am stuck in the first fight with Bohan and have tried every trick in the book. UGH

As he is the last boss I highly recommend giving it another shot. It is a tough battle with no health pots around but it can be done. And it is worth it to see the story arc finish. While not an amazing game I really did enjoy Heavenly Sword. Primarily for Andy Sirkis' work as Bohan (what a wonderfully hysterical yet intimidating bad guy) and for the characterisation of Kai.

Anyway on to killing Bohan.

There are three rounds to the fight and your health will refill between each.

Round 1:

Bohan will fly around for a bit so dodge roll while he swoops and wait for him to land. Now stick to speed attacks to get a few combos in and immediately roll away. The trick with this battle is patience. It may be tempting to keep attacking but it is generally best to do a few hits and then flee so you minimise your chances of getting hit by Bohan's lightning attacks (note these attacks can be countered if you so wish). Once his health is down far enough you'll get a quick QTE sequence (where you have to hit specific buttons at specific times when requested) which from memory is circle then square.

Round 2:

Bohan plays out a bit like Flying Fox now and will spend his time in the air. Simply switch to power stance to counter his orange attacks (his most used attacks in this round) and hit him with a power attack when you can. Be careful since after the first attack he will become invulnerable for a brief moment during which time you should increase your range to best prepare for any attacks. Basically counter his ranged attacks until he drops from the sky, smack him, wash, rinse, repeat. Another QTE signals the end of this round.

Round 3:

Your final battle with this scumbag is the most difficult. Bohan is now a mix of Round 1 and Round 2 but his attacking aggressiveness is much greater.

When he is on the ground stick to speed stance but when he is in the air switch to power and counter his attacks til he falls to the ground dazed. Don't hit him with a power attack this time as he will block it (unlike before). Instead jump in with a speed combo.

After a bit he will look unconscious. Just run up to him, hit circle and then follow the QTE prompts.

After a while he will drop for a final time and this time when you hit circle you will go through a slightly longer QTE sequence which will kill Bohan and end the game.

Field Researcher
#20 Old 28th Aug 2008 at 5:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by treeag

No idea. But if my memory of the book serves, that is factually accurate to the story.
retired moderator
#21 Old 28th Aug 2008 at 9:44 AM
Mr Green, with the battery, in the flour sack.

That ole chestnut. :P

Mad Poster
#22 Old 29th Aug 2008 at 7:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rabid
You beat Carnival Caper?! Where the hell was he?! I slaved over that game... if it was compatible with Vista, I would still be trying to defeat it. Carmen Sandiego was indeed an awesome game (I loved the scenario with Nefertiti) and it was very educational, but it drove me insane. Did you manage to get past the Leif Ericsson scenario, or is that where you failed, too? I even roped adults into playing and they couldn't beat either.

I wish I still had both those games. I can't remember who the guy was in Carnival Caper was though, which is really starting to bug me. I had all the Barbie games though, my favourite being the horse riding one.
With Carmen Sandiego I can't actually remember where I gave up. It wasn't too far in, but I found it really hard. Argh. Now I want to go play it!
Field Researcher
#23 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 6:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ElektraNatchios33

lol, well i do have a hunch i was adopted, maybe we were separated at birth !

my taste in games is clearly amazing, tomb raider AND beyond good and evil, not to mention silent hill !

i was so pleased to hear they were making a sequel to beyond good and evil, it was such a cool game, and i loved that boat thingy you could drive around in :P

Head Of Staff & Writer @ LivingSims Magazine

Interested In Working At LivingSims ? Then Check This Out
#24 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 11:37 AM
Its kinda emerassing but... I cant beat the game Mahjong... I just cant!!!
And thats really emerassing for a person that can beat every other game ever made...
Like, I even collected all the pokemons for pokemon silver, gold and crystall in less than a month :einstein
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 3:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rabid
While sorting through some of my old computer games earlier, I came across a few that I could never defeat and thought that it would make a good thread. What game have you never been able to win, no matter how hard you tried? For me, it was Barbie Carnival Caper- I played that game like mad when I was younger and never managed to find the carnival caper. I even got my sister to try, and despite being nineteen back then, she couldn't win, either. I also couldn't defeat Where In Time Is Carmen San Diego- I always got hung up at the Leif Ericsson mission because I couldn't find the last clue. But enough about me- what games can't you win?

I had that game and could physically NEVER beat it (the barbe one). Then one day a year or so ago, I got it out and beat it right away.

Page 1 of 9