Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th May 2007 at 5:45 AM
Cold Case--The Williams Family (Results are up!)
*Note: This contest will not contain any graphic pictures or descriptions
This contest belongs in 'Other'.
Start date: June 10
End date: June 29th

Cold Case: Every Picture Tells a Story

It’s the year 2007, and two newlyweds have just bought a historic Victorian to turn into their future home. While renovating, they happen upon something amazing...
Hidden in the walls of the Victorian are photographs, presumably from the mid-1800s. While this in itself is intriguing, there is more to the story.

The unsolved murders of the Williams family in 1861 have, of course, long since blown over. Now, nearly 150 years later, these photographs of the family have brought the case back to light, and the police are determined to uncover the truth. Armed only with what evidence the police had managed to collect at the time of the murders, it’s YOUR job to untangle this web.

Your boss gives you some background information on the murder: The cause of death could not be decided by the police of the time; it was only apparent that the deaths were definitely murders. One of the Williams’ slave, Nicholas, was hanged for the murder, although there was no solid evidence against him.

Your boss gives you this list:

Victims:
Edward Benjamin Williams, Male, Age 61, Head of Household
Elizabeth Jane Williams, Female, Age 50, Wife
Edward Benjamin Williams Jr., Male, Age 30, Son
Hannah Eliza Williams, Female, Age 15, Daughter
Tobias Walter Williams, Male, Age 7, Son

Suspects:
Thomas Reilly, Male, Age 17, Other
Mary Elizabeth Williams, Female, Age 19, Other
Frederick Daniel Williams, Male, Age 58, Other
Christopher, Male, Age 40-60, Slave
Nicholas, Male, Age 16-25, Slave
Miranda, Female, Age 30-40, Slave

“There were three names that we couldn’t make out on the suspect list, and presumably one unidentified victim,” s/he says, before handing you the photographs and sending you on your way.

NOTICE: The dates have changed, and the rounds have been condensed!
Application Round-June 10th-June 15th
Round 1 -June 16th-June 20th
Round 2 -June 21st-June 25th
Round 3 -June 26th-June 29th

You must take from 3-5 pictures each round, of whatever you choose, as long as it is relevant to the round story. You will be judged on your pictures. Please include captions. You can write whole paragraphs or a few simple sentences, whichever you choose. But please include at least a small description of what is going on in the picture.
Note: you cannot win the contest if you do not solve the murder. The picture scores are mainly just to decide a winner, because there will more likely than not be numerous people who solve the murder. Between those who solve it, the person with the highest overall score will win.

I rather not have extensions, but if absolutely necessary, please PM me by at least a few hours before the round’s end.

Each round, you will be given facts and clues. You may guess who the murderer is at any point after the application round (given you have already completed the requirements*), but you must PM your guess to me-no posting in the thread! And no random guesses; you must have some kind of evidence** against this person if you intend to accuse them.

*Requirements: There are certain things you must unveil before you can make an accusation. First, you must find the relations between the victims and those suspects listed ‘Other’. Second, you must discover who the three unknown suspects are and who the unidentifiable victim is.

**You CAN use process of elimination as your evidence
Once again, random guesses ARE NOT evidence!!!

Contestants
Sam Croton (Scout)---Application Round---Round 1---Round 2---Round 3---SOLVED
Jacob Cornelius (JocusDorkus)---Application Round---Round 1---Round 2---Round 3---SOLVED
Hannah Taylor-Greenwood (asmodean)---Application Round---FAILURE
Eloise Watson (romyhorse)---Application Round---Round 1 ---Round 2---[Round 3---SOLVED
Seth Cowen (Mnemosyne)---Application Round---Round 1---Round 2---Round 3---Rejoined! SOLVED

Round 1 Results Round 2 Results Round 3 and End Results

You don’t need to have any judging experience; really, all you do is judge a contestant’s entry each round by giving it a score from 1-10. Take off if a person types in netspeak. You are judging only pictures, not the captions (except the netspeak...NETSPEAK MUST DIE!!!). Please PM me if you would like to be a judge...I’d really appreciate it!

Judges
1. Me...(evlevnz92)
2. breena
3. GalacticSimmer94

Every contestant gets...*drum roll, please!* THREE CRAPPILY MADE DRESSES BY ME!!! In case you were wondering, these were my attempts at old-timey clothes. The closest I got was the flapper dress one...because with the original mesh it looked kinda like Princess Peach gone mental...

Lovely pic, too, huh?
MESHES:
Flapper dress: Mesh 11 by Liana Sims 2 (http://www.lianasims2.com/mesh_page.html)
Blue dress: Mesh by Brianna, but since I can't seem to find the mesh at WDS, go to Pronupsims, Guests, Bridesmaids, and download the mesh for any of the dresses that say the mesh was by BriAnna. (http://www.pronupsims.fr.st/)
White/Blue dress: Mesh by chriko, "Wide Gown", found on Meshes, Page 2 (http://www.2-f0r-u.de/startsims2.htm)

Winner: A house by breena! (Thanks a ton for donating it!)
Quote: Originally posted by breena
2 Bdrm, 2 Bath Ranch-Style house w/large inground pool, water fall w/jacuzzi, a tree-shaded hammock to lounge and take in the view, and a large deck for grilling and entertaining.

Here is the list you must PM to me when you think you have solved the murders! If you are correct in your assumption, I will put SOLVED next to your name in the Contestants list.

How was Thomas Reilly related to the victims?

How was Mary Elizabeth Williams related to the victims?

How was Frederick Daniel Williams related to the victims?

Who was the unidentified victim? (Name, gender, age, relation to victims)

Who was the murderer?

Evidence?
Advertisement
retired moderator
#2 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 1:35 AM
Approved 6.10.07
Ends 7.1.07 (Timeline edited as per host request)

***Do NOT post replies and/or contest applications before the contest host has checked in on this thread, or your post will be deleted.***

Formerly known as boolPropped
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 3:56 AM
w00t! Checking in!
Scholar
#4 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 10:59 AM
This sounds intriguing, what are the requirements for the application round?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 12:56 PM
Heheh, woops, forgot about that! xD

EDIT
See NEW Application Round post below, or click the new link in the Rounds section of the first post.
#6 Old 12th Jun 2007 at 12:34 AM
how will this work? What will the pictures be of, and how will we get evidence?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Jun 2007 at 12:39 AM
I'll give you facts and evidence each round, and you'll use those to solve the crime.
There will also be a short background story each round, which is what your pictures will be of.
Test Subject
#8 Old 12th Jun 2007 at 6:07 PM
Did you want a picture of the detective for the application too?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 12th Jun 2007 at 7:36 PM
Oh right...heheh...sorry this is my first contest, and I keep forgetting this stuff...xD
I'll update the app. stuff right now.
Test Subject
#10 Old 12th Jun 2007 at 8:22 PM
I'm really interesting in joining, I absolutely love the concept of this contest (is a non-closeted Agatha Christie mega fan), but I've one question before I join.

I understand that each round you'll give us evidence to further in the investigation, and that the pictures are the background, but to what? I was thinking, and let me know if I'm wrong, that the background story and pictures are of how we (or rather our characters) got the evidence...am I right to assume that? Like lets say you give us a date of importance and name that connects to one of the victims, is our round entry then of how we got that information through short story telling with the pictures to match?

Ooh, and another thing, is there any specific way you want the 'house' to be? Is there any that you've seen that we could download?

Okay, I think I'll be going to get several shots of my 'detective', LOL :D

-Jocus Dorkus stalking about- :hat:

"The grey cells, the grey cells! They are my most potent friends!"
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 12th Jun 2007 at 8:50 PM
The background stories are actually more like this:

You recieve a phone call...blah blah blah...first stop: the park...etc., etc.

The facts and clues are just listed by number, (1., 2., 3., so on and so forth)

So the only thing that you CAN take pictures of is really doing what's in the background story.

Sorry if this isn't too clear...I'm trying to explain it as well as I can...=)

And no, there is no specific house or anything that you need to use.
#12 Old 12th Jun 2007 at 10:30 PM
Come on people, bring on the detectives!!!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 13th Jun 2007 at 4:15 PM
Shoot...I really can't extend the dates much, because I need it to be done before July 1st (I'll be gone for 3 weeks starting then). Please, if this contest sounds even REMOTELY interesting to you, enter! (Hey, the contest is really easy, too!)
Field Researcher
#14 Old 13th Jun 2007 at 4:23 PM
Sounds fun I think I'll enter and the contest ends on my Birthday .
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 13th Jun 2007 at 5:57 PM
Please do! It'd be great to have you on board, dani! Oh, and happy month-early Birthday! x)
Forum Resident
#16 Old 13th Jun 2007 at 9:28 PM
Yey, im a judge. I guess that means I will not be entering. Oh well lol

Also what you could is run auditions until the 1st and then explain to the mods and contestants that you will be gone for three weeks but the contest will the resumeafter that immediatley.

Also depending on weather quite a few people aply in the next few days I may have to drop out as judge because Im soon to be a contestant in 2 stories and im starting my 1st story soon, buts that only a possibilty and nothingg definate yet.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 13th Jun 2007 at 10:27 PM
Abandoning a contest for 3 weeks seems pretty drastic though, and applications being open for 3 weeks is even more so. Besides, the idea of applying for a contest that won't start for almost a month after you apply just isn't that appealing. =/

And PLEASE don't drop out! I've got no contestants as of yet, and the only other judge I've got is breena, and...ah, never mind. Just please don't drop out.

Okay, MAJOR EDIT.

The application round is now just Round 1. I'm putting that up, and people who are applying can just do that. -_- Gimme a minute to make a post and you'll see what I mean.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 13th Jun 2007 at 10:30 PM
Default NEW Application Round
*Please also include the name of your detective before you post your pictures*

Application Round: It is now time for your first stop, the Worcester Manor, where the photographs were found. This is where the Williams family had lived before their untimely demise. You scan the house, investigate where the pictures were found, and check out the old shacks in the backyard.

Application Round Facts:
1. The photographs were found hidden between the bricks in the fireplace.
2. The murders occurred between 1-4 A.M. on July 14th, 1861
3. The family always locked their doors at night, and only the most educated person with enough money for special tools would be able to pick the locks
4. The slaves lived in shacks in the backyard

Application Round Clues:
1. Edward Benjamin Williams had a brother
2. The 6th victim was 25 years old
3. Hannah Eliza Williams was engaged

Goals for the Application Round:
1. Narrow down the Suspects list
2. Have the 6th victim listed (just what you know about them)
Test Subject
#19 Old 14th Jun 2007 at 2:24 AM
I just wanted to let you know that I’m going to enter. I just won’t have application in till late tomorrow probably because we are upgrading my operating system and I have to reinstall everything.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 14th Jun 2007 at 3:38 AM
Ohhh, THANK YOU, Carmilla! x)
Test Subject
#21 Old 14th Jun 2007 at 9:41 AM
Wow, this is very intriguing and it seems as though you've spent a great deal planning this out. Count me in! I'll post my app after my Law Enforcemnt (that's right) final tomorrow.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 14th Jun 2007 at 3:29 PM
Default Sam Croton
Application

Name: Sam Croton
Why you became a detective: Both my parents were cops so I guess you could say I was born with justice in my blood. And even though they spent their careers as patrol officers, they wanted more for me. So they pushed me to be a detective.

For a while I was in Homicide. But the victims families grief was so fresh, so strong that I found it difficult. So I switched to Cold Case. Here the families had the time to gain control of their grief, to learn how to live with their pain before they ever even met me. It made it easier. I found that there was also something satisfying about delivering justice long denied. And letting the victims and their families know that they were not forgotten.

After arriving on scene I talked with the current homeowners. During this conversation I learned that the doors in the house were the original ones built with the house. Considering this a lucky break, I examined each of the entry doors and locks. The locks were sophisticated even by todays standards. Too sophisticated for just anyone to open be able to pick.

Next I thoroughly examined the fireplace where the pictures had been found. I searched the outside looking for secret hiding places. I even stuck my head inside to look up the flue. But I found nothing.

Afterwards I decided to head outside to the slave quarters.

Surprisingly they were still there. Although they were probably never in great shape, now they were dilapidated and too dangerous to enter. Suddenly it hit me. Something I wished had occurred to the original investigators before they hanged an innocent man.

______

I'll finish my entry either late tonight or tomorrow. I need to get together some Victorian things for my pics.

Quote: Originally posted by Mnemosyne
I'll post my app after my Law Enforcemnt (that's right) final tomorrow.

I will not be afraid....I will not be afraid......
Test Subject
#23 Old 14th Jun 2007 at 4:48 PM
Wow, really sorry for the delay, between hosting and the yesterday's trip, I haven't even had time to go in game, however, I'm going right now to start getting the pics. So definitely count me in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne
I'll post my app after my Law Enforcemnt (that's right) final tomorrow.

I will not be afraid....I will not be afraid......

That was just too funny... though, I find myself on the same boat...

I will not be afraid >_< LOL

-Jocus Dorkus looking for her private Detective gear- :read:

"The grey cells, the grey cells! They are my most potent friends!"
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 14th Jun 2007 at 5:14 PM
You guys rock!
Field Researcher
#25 Old 14th Jun 2007 at 8:40 PM
Now that the application round includes the first clues, are we supposed to do 3 detecting type pics or still just the one application pic?

Page 1 of 6