Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Mar 2008 at 8:25 AM
Default Maxis Home Makeover: Pleasantview | WINNER ANNOUNCED!
This contest belongs in HOUSES

Welcome to Maxis Home Makeover, where YOU get a chance to turn a mediocre Maxian home, into a fabulous abode.

1. You are allowed to change the interior floorplan of the house.

2. Budget is unlimited, so go crazy.

3. For a challenge, the only CC allowed for the house are:

Maxis recolors (both for buy and build mode)
Maxis Match items (and their recolors),
Life Stories (and other Stories-to-Sims 2) items (if you still have them)
OMSPs
Pre-Order items
Lost and Found stuff,
official Maxis downloads (US and International)
walls and floors.
Other CC is not allowed.

SEE IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ON POST 38

4. You may have up to 2 designers, but they must work on the same house (in other words, a team). They may be adults or elders.

5. You should retain at least 75%-80% the actual exterior structure (which means, you may change the structure of the walls a little bit, but the general structure of the original house must be retained)

However you may change the wall covering, roof color and shape, the doors, the windows, and things like fences, columns, etc.

6. Contest deadlines are shown in GMT +8 time. To benefit everybody, especially those further west GMT time, I have provided a clock to guide you and scheduled 6 days per round.

7. You will need 1 exterior shot, 1 aerial shot per floor, and at least 2 interior shots. Apply forum rules. Make sure that your pictures are not monstrously huge. A minimum of 500x450 and a max of 700x700 shall suffice as not to make our judges' lives difficult.

8. As much as possible, NO DROPOUTS!

9. The ultimate rule: HAVE FUN!

Name(s):
Age(s):
Specialty (living rooms, bedrooms, kitchen, bathrooms, landscaping, etc.):
EPs and SPs you have:
HEADSHOT OF DESIGNERS:

FOR THE APPLICATION ROUND

The Lothario House:

Good condo, bad interior design and floorplan. Can you turn this house from blah to fab?

Judges
1. duderocks
2. emde40
3. Nirvana

Emergency Judges
1. fway
2. kattenijin

ROUNDS AND JUDGING INFO

1. Judy Cameron (CiaoAlora) APP RD1 RD2 RD3 :1st
3. David and Maddy Anderson (romyhorse) APP RD1 RD2 RD3 :3rd
7. Franny Proctor (I.nfectious) APP RD1 RD2 RD3 :2nd

Gone, but Not Forgotten (Eliminated/Dropped Out/Incomplete/No Entry)

2. Kathleen Morgan and Reiner Andrews (Game Shark) APP RD1 ELIM RD1
4. Dutch Kitch Design (appelsapgodin) APP RD1 D/O
5. Sophie Petite (LOZOTRON) APP RD1 ELIM RD1
6. Lukas Jenkins (j3ss!c@) APP RD1 NO RD2 ENTRY
8. Gabriel Nightwood (eruwenfuin) APP RD1 D/O
9. Lily Grant (photo) APP RD1 RD2 D/O
10. Stella La Rue (coldfloral) APP RD1 RD2 NO RD3 ENTRY

(Send me your prize donations through PM)

Sim by me:

Maxis Lot Bin House makeover by me: GUARANTEED BASE-GAME FRIENDLY. CC-FREE! 8)

More makeovers from me and Engram coming soon...

Advertisement
retired moderator
#2 Old 29th Mar 2008 at 7:47 PM
Contest Approved
Begins 3.29.08
Ends 4.29.08
  • Do not post replies and/or contest applications before the contest host has checked in on this thread, or your post will be deleted.
  • DO NOT WRITE USELESS POSTS like "Hey cool contest, I think I might join." Reserve type posts and useless posts about coming back with an application will be deleted.

Formerly known as boolPropped
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 4:56 AM
Ok, I'm in. Let's get those apps rolling.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 5:04 AM
This looks like a cute contest, but I have a couple of questions.

First of all, what can we change about the outside of the house? You mention the interior floorplan but not how much of the exterior structure and landscaping must be intact. Also, do we need only headshots (not freeshots or anything else) of the designers for the app round in addition to the house images?

Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 5:06 AM
ROUNDS:

ALL ROUNDS AT 11:59 PM MY TIME

Application Round: A Lothario's Haven (March 29-April 4)
Round 1: Home Makeover Desperation (April 4-April 9)

Round 2: Dream On (April 11-April 16)
Round 3: Pleasantly Love (April 17-April 22)

Final Round: Complete Overhaul (April 23-April 28)

Judging will be on a rank-based system based on the following criteria:

Aesthetics and Originality: How does it stand out against the rest of the entries? Does the house look good inside and out, with appropriate clutter on the right places?

Physics and Functionality of Rooms: Are the rooms functional? Will the sim be able to use an object without throwing a tantrum? Are the essentials there (fridge, phone, fire alarm, etc.)?

Compliance with Rules: Self-explanatory. The judges and I will be especially strict with the CC rules. Also, don't forget to put the name of the designer and the round. I will likely remind you if you forget.

Effort: How much work did you put into it? It will be obvious with the overall look of the house.

Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 5:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Daisie
This looks like a cute contest, but I have a couple of questions.

First of all, what can we change about the outside of the house? You mention the interior floorplan but not how much of the exterior structure and landscaping must be intact. Also, do we need only headshots (not freeshots or anything else) of the designers for the app round in addition to the house images?

You can go crazy with landscaping, but the exterior of the house must be at least 75%-80% intact (I mean, you may change the wall covering, the doors and windows, but not the actual walls.

You will only need the headshots of the designers for the application round, but I'll add some bonus tasks to show off your designers a little bit.

ETA: There will be two rounds in which drastically changing the exterior will be allowed.
Scholar
#7 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 1:41 PM
As soon as I saw this I knew I wanted to enter! I just deleted my Pleasantview neighbourhood this week so I guess I'm going to go and dig it out again :D.

As well as Life Stories objects can we use objects from other Stories, eg Castaway? Also can we use Bonus Pre-Order stuff?
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 3:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by romyhorse
As soon as I saw this I knew I wanted to enter! I just deleted my Pleasantview neighbourhood this week so I guess I'm going to go and dig it out again :D.

As well as Life Stories objects can we use objects from other Stories, eg Castaway? Also can we use Bonus Pre-Order stuff?

Yes, you may. Pre-Order stuff and other Sims Stories is also allowed (since they are also technically Maxis-Made)

Actually, It was your Maxis Homes Exhibition contest before that inspired me to apply the CC rules to the contest, since even with restrictions, the contestants all made good rooms. :D
Field Researcher
#9 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 6:35 PM
Is it OK to change the direction/shape of the stairs?
#10 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 9:29 PM
I was going to make an attempt at this, but I have two quick questions. At the end of what custom content is allowed, you have walls and floors. I am just making sure that we can use custom walls and floors.

Also, can we use custom roof colors. For future rounds. I have several roofs which I downloaded. They are exactly the same as the regular roofs, except they have a white trim. Am I allowed to use those?

I apologize if my questions sounded confusing
Forum Resident
#11 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 10:44 PM
So no exterior walls can be changed? That means even with a makeover it would look kinda the same.....kinda limits the creativity... (no conservatory)
#12 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 10:46 PM
Well, I think duderocks said you can change some of the exterior walls. Just as long as 75%-80% stay intact.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 11:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by duderocks
I mean, you may change the wall covering, the doors and windows, but not the actual walls.
So that's that.

Instructor
Original Poster
#14 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 2:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Game Shark
I was going to make an attempt at this, but I have two quick questions. At the end of what custom content is allowed, you have walls and floors. I am just making sure that we can use custom walls and floors.

Also, can we use custom roof colors. For future rounds. I have several roofs which I downloaded. They are exactly the same as the regular roofs, except they have a white trim. Am I allowed to use those?

I apologize if my questions sounded confusing

You may use custom walls, floors and roof colors.

CiaoAlora, you may change the shape, type and direction of the stairs, as long as it is not CC stairs.

What I was thinking of what to do with the exteriors is something like these houses: http://laverwinklesims.com/index.ph...e357&board=65.0

The structure is more or less intact, but the wall coverings, doors and other exterior items are changed (of course, you can change the structure of some walls on the house. However, there will be 2 rounds in which you will be allowed to change the exterior walls drastically (one is a complete house overhaul and the other requires expansion)

Sorry if the house exterior rules are a little confusing. I already revised that rule as not to confuse everybody. Again, I apologize.

As for the apps, you have until Friday to get you apps in. If we don't get 10 apps after that, applications will extend up to Round 1, so if you want to join, start cranking your apps and submit them on this thread (as always). :D
Field Researcher
#15 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 3:14 PM
Application:
Name: Judy Cameron
Specialty: I love designing kitchens and bedrooms, as I feel they are the heart of the home.
EPs and SPs you have: Uni, Night life, OFB, Pets, Seasons, Freetime and all stuff packs
HEADSHOT OF DESIGNER:

Don Lothario's home makeover:

The exterior was updated to a dark easily maintained stone and the decking was replaced infavor of easy care composite decking material, as it won't fade in the sun and never needs refinishing.

On the main floor, my goal was to increase the size of the entertaining zone, therefor reducing the dimentions of the kitchen was a must.

I kept the layout of the upper floor, it was working for the overall design.

Bedroom
For the bedroom, the use of warm masculine colors make the room feel sexy and reflect Don's taste.
Kitchen
In the kitchen, I wanted to have modernized appliances so it is easier for Don to prepare meals for himself, also a small dinette is included in the space for when he has his lady friends over. Romantic dinner for two anyone?
Living Room
The living room is finished in red and black, the first impresion when you enter a home needs to set the tone for the whole home. Dark, mysterious, and sexy seems to be Don's style.
Instructor
Original Poster
#16 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 3:19 PM
Our first applicant! Great job, CiaoAlora.

EDIT: For the succeeding rounds [Round 1 onwards], you will need to briefly describe how you went about on designing that particular house (If you check out other house contests, you'll see what I mean).

EDIT AGAIN: Judging criteria added on Round Info post.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 6:14 PM
I'll edit it later, probably tomorow morning as I am very busy today. Thank you :D
#18 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 6:18 PM
can anyone be a judge?
Instructor
Original Poster
#19 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 6:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omgitsashley
can anyone be a judge?

Yes, unless you're a contestant obviously. If you want to be a judge/EJ, better shoot me a PM.
#20 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 8:18 PM
Aww this contest looks like a lot of fun! I so wish I could join, but I've been way too busy. Can I be a judge instead? :D
#21 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 9:40 PM
I apologize for the quality of the shots, (especially the headshot) I am not very talented when it comes to taking pictures. I hope this contest will help me improve my building skills.
-------------------------------

Name(s): Kathleen Morgan and Reiner Andrews
Age(s): Kathleen- 28 Reiner- 30
Specialty: Bedrooms
EPs and SPs you have: Nightlife, Open for Buisness and Seasons
--------------------------------------
To be (hopefully) updated with a little story

Exterior Shots
Front Yard

Back Yard

Aerial Shots
Second Floor

First Floor

Interior Shots
Bedroom

Another Shot

Living Room

Kitchen

Dining Room/Hall

Scholar
#22 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 10:53 PM
Default Application
Name: David and Maddy Anderson
Specialty: Living rooms.
EPs and SPs you have: All!
HEADSHOT OF DESIGNERS:

The Lothario House

Front

The outside of the property has been totally paved over to give it a minimalist look (and cut down on gardening!). We kept the same style of windows but changed the doors and railing on the terraces. We also added a high wall for privacy when Don is entertaining in the garden.

Ground Floor

We kept the layout open plan as the square footage is quite small, and moved the bathroom under the stairs to maximise the use of space available.

First Floor

The bedroom is uncluttered to give it an airy feel and outside we have given him a nice entertaining space. We kept his telescope so he can continue to spy on his neighbours, oops, we mean maintain his neighbourhood watch scheme!

Second Floor

On the top floor we have given him a trainset, because he's really a closet anorak! At his request we put a gate at the bottom of the stairs to stop any of his nosy neighbours wandering up and finding out his secret.

Interior

The living area is decorated in masculine colours with sturdy furniture. At the rear there is a study area, but he only uses the computer for... well, we'll leave you to work that one out for yourself!

We gave him a trendy kitchen to impress the ladies (but the only thing he uses is the toaster oven).

Bedroom

Dining Area

Outside
#23 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 10:59 PM
Holy Sweet Jeebus romyhorse!
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 1st Apr 2008 at 12:45 AM
Damn! These pictures are nice ...GameShark you said that you don't take pics well...I can't tell. I think you did an okay job :thumb: and plus your lot is nice, CiaoAlora, You pictures are nice as well as your lot...Romy, I really liked how you changed the exterior to eliminate the landscaping...that was a nice touch.

Good work....

I have tried, but have failed. What else is there for me do do?
Field Researcher
#25 Old 1st Apr 2008 at 2:14 AM
I edited my app to add descriptions to the images. :D

Page 1 of 11