Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 5719 (Who?), Viewed: 591015 times.
Page 229 of 229
Theorist
#5701 Old 20th Jul 2016 at 10:30 PM Last edited by tizerist : 21st Jul 2016 at 10:11 PM.
Here's a question which may or may not be stupid
How comes I sometimes load up a hood and a household will have 'stranger' sims suddenly living in the house? They can't be fully interacted with either...When I move the mouse on them it literally says 'Firstname Lastname (Stranger)'
What mechanism makes this BS happen? I have immigration totally locked down in NRaas SP too. It still happens.
Anyone else got this?

edit: thanks barbarat, I'll try messing around with that and see how it goes.

TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Scholar
#5702 Old 20th Jul 2016 at 11:47 PM
The only thing I can offer up is you could have roommate services enabled. Click on a Sim in the Household>Phone>Real Estate & Travel Services>Roommate Services>Enable/Disable.
Lab Assistant
#5703 Old 21st Jul 2016 at 5:23 PM
I had that happen... the uninvited sim shows up. I took great delight in murdering the cheeky invaders. Then I felt bad when I saw I had roommates set to on.
Lab Assistant
#5704 Old 21st Jul 2016 at 5:53 PM
I have just noticed, there are six people in my current family, but only for the oldest son (still a child) it says 'Take shower', whereas the others can only 'Shower'... he's a friendly good loner, but is that tied to his traits and if so, which one? What a peculiar quirk to include in the game, anyway.

omnis mundi creatura
Alchemist
#5705 Old 23rd Jul 2016 at 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by igazor
Ooh, I've got one. What if the only trait you were to give them was Unstable? That means their other traits are subject to change. But there are no other traits, so therefore they must be stable. Paradox?

(loud beeping sounds) Norman...coordinate...

I was curious about this, so I checked and apparently nothing will happen if Unstable is the only trait the Sim has.

Just call me Nikel
Site Helper
#5706 Old 23rd Jul 2016 at 5:53 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if Unstable affected the Hidden traits and Occult stages?

Edit: I'm glad EA never had that thought!

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2015 Yearbook
Inventor
#5707 Old 24th Jul 2016 at 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kin.gyo1413
I have just noticed, there are six people in my current family, but only for the oldest son (still a child) it says 'Take shower', whereas the others can only 'Shower'... he's a friendly good loner, but is that tied to his traits and if so, which one? What a peculiar quirk to include in the game, anyway.

I never noticed this but I will check the next time I'm in game.

My own stupid question: I have been trying to access a tutorial from the old Sims 3 forums. For the last 5 days, every time I click on the bookmark link, I get to see Liam. I am VERY fond of Liam, but enough is enough. Does anyone know if the old TS3 forums will be back online- ever?
Forum Resident
#5708 Old 25th Jul 2016 at 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attuned
I have been trying to access a tutorial from the old Sims 3 forums. For the last 5 days, every time I click on the bookmark link, I get to see Liam. I am VERY fond of Liam, but enough is enough. Does anyone know if the old TS3 forums will be back online- ever?

The old TS3 forums are gone as of a week ago it seems, don't know if that's permanent, but all of the posts that were on them when they become frozen in 2014 were supposed to have been copied over to the new forums. That won't make an old hyperlink work, but perhaps you could search for the thread on the new forums and find it that way? Its search mechanism is actually pretty good, once you open up all the options.
Inventor
#5709 Old 25th Jul 2016 at 12:53 AM
Thank you, igazor. Just when I thought EA can't torture me any more via TS3, they find a new way. I should have been smarter and copy and pasted stuff into a word document so I am not at EA's mercy. Why would they do this? Aren't the server costs the same whether the forums are hosted at Sims 3 or The Sims? All of the links are broken. The 5 part tutorials will be very difficult to recreate. The indexes that have been created are useless. Why EA, why??? EA, making me slowly rip out all my hair since 2009...
Forum Resident
#5710 Old 26th Jul 2016 at 9:51 PM Last edited by CatMuto : 27th Jul 2016 at 10:46 AM.
I'm guessing the answer to this is "No", but here goes.
If I give my NPC Sim families multiple everyday outfits (say, one that is more light clothing for summer or thicker stuff for fall - I have turned winter off), will they automatically change into them, while I am playing my main household?

Another question I have: Is there a way to know in-game what mod item is which? Particularly with hair? I know I could rename the files themselves into descriptions (which I do, sometimes) and easily delete them then from my files, but in-game maybe? Say, I hover over a hair and it gives me file name? I tried turning testingcheats on and doing so, but that did nothing.
Field Researcher
#5711 Old Yesterday at 2:38 AM Last edited by Elynda : Yesterday at 3:32 AM.
I'm curious about the paper boys/girls. They deliver the paper about an hour after the kids leave for school and then cycle off. Where do they go? To school? I always assumed they did, but out of curiosity I shifted over to the school immediately after the paper boy left and kept watch on the building. There was no sign of him arriving. That particular day there was a school trip and after about an hour my kid emerged, plus an adult (presumably a teacher) and three other kids and all got on the bus. No sign of the paper boy, or at least two other kids mine has 'met'. One of those is called Dee Liver, and I'm pretty sure I've seen her delivering papers (as her name suggests). But where are they all? Are they all skiving off? Its no wonder my sim kids take so long to befriend other kids at school, I suspect that most of the time half of them aren't even there!

Also, since I am here, is there anything I can do about the fog down in the Twinbrook swamps? I don't mind it so much outdoors, but it is inside the house too and it looks stupid. Now that I am trying to shoot a story there it is really annoying me, especially since it comes and goes, depending on the camera position. I have to keep my graphics set quite low or my game would be unplayable on my ancient computer.

EDIT: My sim child has just 'met' Preston Daley at school. He is the paper boy who delivers to my house. Yet at no time did I see him actually enter the building. I suppose they must teleport!
Site Helper
#5712 Old Yesterday at 5:57 AM
It probably wouldn't help you much, but I don't recall seeing fog in the basement cave complex in my games in Twinbrook. Or in the "attic." (actually, the second floor of the "abandoned" house I was using.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2015 Yearbook
Scholar
#5713 Old Yesterday at 2:34 PM
[QUOTE=Elynda]I'm curious about the paper boys/girls. They deliver the paper about an hour after the kids leave for school and then cycle off. Where do they go? To school? I always assumed they did, but out of curiosity I shifted over to the school immediately after the paper boy left and kept watch on the building. There was no sign of him arriving. That particular day there was a school trip and after about an hour my kid emerged, plus an adult (presumably a teacher) and three other kids and all got on the bus. No sign of the paper boy, or at least two other kids mine has 'met'. One of those is called Dee Liver, and I'm pretty sure I've seen her delivering papers (as her name suggests). But where are they all? Are they all skiving off? Its no wonder my sim kids take so long to befriend other kids at school, I suspect that most of the time half of them aren't even there!

The newspaper kids are service sims and upon completion of delivering newspapers generally hibernate or if there is an apartment available with the NPC markers they will go there and despawn. I have castes set up which include allowing the newspaper guys/gals to go to school. Prior to setting that up, for the most part, the newspaper kids would just hibernate. However every once in awhile I would see one at school.

Re "...Its no wonder my sim kids take so long to befriend other kids at school..." : In general the "other kids at school" are resident/inactive household kids. There are a few steps you can take to encourage meeting classmates:
Make sure you have enough resident children assigned to the same school
Use caste settings to allow friendships with inactive sim children and service sims
Use caste settings to allow service children to attend school
When your sim goes to school use the "Meet Classmates" option in the dropdown seen in the upper left corner of your screen
There are some other tips for schools that might be of interest Here On The Schools Page
Field Researcher
#5714 Old Yesterday at 4:13 PM
Thanks barbarat, that's very interesting. At the moment I haven't got Story Progression installed. I usually use it when I am setting up and populating a previously empty town, but I don't keep it in permanantly, since it makes my game very laggy. But that Nraas page is interesting. In my Riverblossom Hills save I am planning on adding another lot to my St Freda's School complex which would contain a school rabbithole rug, this would be for the 'day' pupils, who would wear the same uniforms as my boarders, and I'd like to be able to assign selected townie kids and teens to it using Zebu's Ultimate Careers Mod. I think the whole thing will be disguised as playing feilds with a sort of 'pavilion' where the rug would be placed. Anyway, those are long term plans.
Scholar
#5715 Old Yesterday at 5:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elynda
Thanks barbarat, that's very interesting. At the moment I haven't got Story Progression installed. I usually use it when I am setting up and populating a previously empty town, but I don't keep it in permanantly, since it makes my game very laggy. But that Nraas page is interesting. In my Riverblossom Hills save I am planning on adding another lot to my St Freda's School complex which would contain a school rabbithole rug, this would be for the 'day' pupils, who would wear the same uniforms as my boarders, and I'd like to be able to assign selected townie kids and teens to it using Zebu's Ultimate Careers Mod. I think the whole thing will be disguised as playing feilds with a sort of 'pavilion' where the rug would be placed. Anyway, those are long term plans.

For game lag associated with Story Progression there are a few steps you can take to avoid the lag:
Turn down the speed in SP: From City Hall or a computer>NRaas>Story Progression>General Options>Adjust Speed
Also under General Options Stories - Set to disallow
On a side note there are lots of tips for Better Game Performance Here . Perhaps applying some of the suggestions would free up your system a bit will enable to run SP using a slower speed
Field Researcher
#5716 Old Yesterday at 9:17 PM
Thanks, I'll give those tips a try. It really would be nice to be able to use SP, since it opens up so many game-play possibilities. I've just had a marathon clean up of CC, using 'CC Magic' and its improved matters no end, so I'll see what other measures I can take.
Field Researcher
#5717 Old Yesterday at 11:23 PM
Why can't kids use the microwave? Or have the Bookworm trait? Or make lemonade? Or write novels? (though wait, I swear they could before, but my current kid can't, only comic books...)
Test Subject
#5718 Old Today at 12:05 AM
Does anyone still get SimPoints by watching videos? I haven't had the videos for over a year.
Field Researcher
#5719 Old Today at 1:19 AM Last edited by Elynda : Today at 1:39 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackGabbiani
Why can't kids use the microwave? Or have the Bookworm trait? Or make lemonade? Or write novels? (though wait, I swear they could before, but my current kid can't, only comic books...)

That's odd. I was going to disagree with you about the 'Bookworm' trait, but I really can't be sure: I have a mod that unlocks traits and LTRs for kids, so that might be the reason my child sims can have that trait. As for them not being able to write novels, I had a couple of best selling child authors long before I had any mods installed. That said, EA may have patched it out, just to be perverse, it would be just like them! Some of my child sims are currently writing novels, but it may be that I enabled things using Retuner, I can't remember.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#5720 Old Today at 12:03 PM Last edited by Don Babilon : Today at 12:36 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackGabbiani
Huh? I used to have Sim kids with the Bookworm trait and they used to be able to write novels. Did they patch this out?

And as regards the lemonade, there is none in the game, so neither children nor adults can make it. There is a lemonade stand premium object available in the Store, however, that allows children to make and sell lemonade and offer psychiatric help to others.

Edit: I just checked in a vanilla game and children can be Bookworms and join the book club. Even with no skill points in writing they can already start to write fiction and non-fiction novels. With one skill point the SciFi novel becomes unlocked.
Maybe you've looked in the wrong place because the comic books are a separate menu entry while the other book genres can be found under "Writing..."
Page 229 of 229