Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

2017 Calendar Contest Winners! - posted on Yesterday at 12:07 AM
Replies: 53 (Who?), Viewed: 866 times.
Page 1 of 3
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 4:04 PM
Default Does anyone know how to use NRaas Dresser?
So, i've been trying to make a fully medieval town in Sims 3, and that includes that everyone in the town must wear medieval clothes. I looked for help, and i found NRaas Dresser Valid Parts Tuning, to make a whitelist of all the medieval-looking clothes. I used this site http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Creatin...ng+the+Easy+Way as tutorial, and i did everything step by step, and when i went into the options, toggled on the mc blacklist, and tried to run invalid and accessories check, it did reselect townies's clothing and hair, but NONE of them are what i selected...

To me, NRaas mods have always been very confusing or just generally hard to use, so i guess i have to set something on/off, but i can't figure out what, as i tried almost everything... And i didn't miss ANY step, i can guarantee that! So if anyone has used this mod or has even got it to work, please tell me, i'm so desperate and SO pissed.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 4:20 PM
You might want to consider asking that over where the mod lives at NRaas. Many of the members over there have used the instructions and are successful with the blacklisted items. You need to be a member to post but registration is fast and free. See Becoming A Member Here.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 4:33 PM
Thanks, i hope someone is still there to answer.
Scholar
#4 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 4:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samppuli
Thanks, i hope someone is still there to answer.


Hello Samppuli - Not sure what you meant by "still there" but the site has been moving forward since Twallan retired in 2014. New mods have been created by our Developer Chain_Reaction as well as all mods have been updated and/or enhanced. Membership is increasing daily. Like any other site we do have our "slow days" but someone is always there.
Instructor
#5 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 5:06 PM
This is a helpful thread for me as I've decided to create a whitelist of clothing for my sims game as well. I don't play a particular historical era, I play modern times with historical content however and the neighborhood I play in is Hell and I'd like to whitelist more historical and Goth themed clothes since I have a lot and would like the townspeople to wear them since my headcanon for my version of Hell in my fantasy world is that the inhabitants particularly the higher classes wear a lot of Gothic and historical (about medieval-mid 20th century themed with a bit of classical civilization) clothing.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 5:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarat
Hello Samppuli - Not sure what you meant by "still there" but the site has been moving forward since Twallan retired in 2014. New mods have been created by our Developer Chain_Reaction as well as all mods have been updated and/or enhanced. Membership is increasing daily. Like any other site we do have our "slow days" but someone is always there.


Alright, so i didn't log in because i found another discussion about this in there, and it has no answers. It seems that many people have problems with ValidParts but nobody actually knows a solution for it.

I also changed the settings and hoped something would work, and now everyone is naked. It's not helping and i can't get them to wear clothes again... and i'm afraid resetting options in Dresser would remove my whitelist, and i worked really hard for it!
Instructor
#7 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 5:40 PM
As frustrating as it must be, I can't help but be amused by the fact all your sims are now naked.... this is making me not want to make a whitelist if this is what happens, but I'll try it and let you know if I come up with a solution to your problem, @Samppuli.
Scholar
#8 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 5:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samppuli
Alright, so i didn't log in because i found another discussion about this in there, and it has no answers. It seems that many people have problems with ValidParts but nobody actually knows a solution for it.

I also changed the settings and hoped something would work, and now everyone is naked. It's not helping and i can't get them to wear clothes again... and i'm afraid resetting options in Dresser would remove my whitelist, and i worked really hard for it!


Hello Again Samppuli = Not sure what setting you changed or why but I understand your frustration. It is entirely up to you what you wish to do but the few (or several) discussions you saw could be outdated or resolved off line among other things. In many cases issues that appear to be the same are not depending upon what mods, versions and other content people have installed. I hope you can find the answer you are looking for. Sorry I could not be more help.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 5:57 PM
The NRAAS mods are great but the documentation lacks a "How do" and is confusing. I'm only able to figure out how to use the simplest features of Master Controller, for example. Its a bit of a hunt to find the right discussion board. Still, it's free mods.

Let me know if you figure it out. I'd like to do the same, and get rid of Into the Future garb in the present.

Now, I'm off to go write a paper on why quantum mechanics explains gravity and why dark matter and energy will never be found. Something easy to figure out.
Scholar
#10 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 6:06 PM
@Samppuli - I did look around for more info for you. Don't know how helpful this will be but see Sara_Sims post (4th down)On This Page . There is also a tip on Invalid Parts In This Thread. There is also a link for another tutorial. Not sure if it is the same as you had but might be worth a look see.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 6:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarat
@Samppuli - I did look around for more info for you. Don't know how helpful this will be but see Sara_Sims post (4th down)On This Page . There is also a tip on Invalid Parts In This Thread. There is also a link for another tutorial. Not sure if it is the same as you had but might be worth a look see.


Thank you, now i know there's someone who still answers them questions, though nobody seems to know why whitelisting doesn't work while blacklisting does. I just have to make a blacklist instead, and it's gonna take lots and lots of work, but if it works, it's worth it.

Again, thank you for gathering info for me, i didn't even know that there's discussions about this on NRaas's site. But now i do and maybe some day i'll get my damn medieval town
Scholar
#12 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 6:20 PM
Every mod page offers detail on the Mod itself, FAQ's, Interactions, etc. There are plenty of "how To's" and I agree some can be rather confusing when first learning. But that is what Chatterbox is for. We are there to help with the NRaas Suite and other mods the site now hosts. If you can not find something or need help understanding something please ask us. Googling or asking on other sites is not always a reliable way to learn how to use the mods. In some ways depending upon how complex the issue, it's kind of like going into a shoe store to buy oranges and apples, eh?

The other discussion boards are discussion pages each mod has. Those pages are for testing issues and/or reports the mods are broken or not working.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 6:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by southparkrocks
As frustrating as it must be, I can't help but be amused by the fact all your sims are now naked.... this is making me not want to make a whitelist if this is what happens, but I'll try it and let you know if I come up with a solution to your problem, @Samppuli.


Thanks, maybe you'll find something, googling did not help a bit. It would help a lot if someone found proper instructions to this whitelisting problem, i really don't want to blacklist EVERYTHING i don't want to use, because i have much more CC hair/clothes than the game has, and i have all EP's and SP's, so CAS is super laggy. Don't wanna delete anything tho :P
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 6:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarat
Every mod page offers detail on the Mod itself, FAQ's, Interactions, etc. There are plenty of "how To's" and I agree some can be rather confusing when first learning. But that is what Chatterbox is for. We are there to help with the NRaas Suite and other mods the site now hosts. If you can not find something or need help understanding something please ask us. Googling or asking on other sites is not always a reliable way to learn how to use the mods. In some ways depending upon how complex the issue, it's kind of like going into a shoe store to buy oranges and apples, eh?

The other discussion boards are discussion pages each mod has. Those pages are for testing issues and/or reports the mods are broken or not working.


I know, and i understand the instructions, and i've done everything that they told me to, but it just doesn't work, that's why i thought there was something wrong with my Dresser settings, but it seems that there's nothing wrong. I'll try to extract my whitelist to different package editor, i've been using NRaas Packer, but maybe i'll get it to work with that.

If there's really people who got ValidParts working, then there must be some way to do it, and i'm willing to try anything other than blacklisting...
Instructor
#15 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 6:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samppuli
I know, and i understand the instructions, and i've done everything that they told me to, but it just doesn't work, that's why i thought there was something wrong with my Dresser settings, but it seems that there's nothing wrong. I'll try to extract my whitelist to different package editor, i've been using NRaas Packer, but maybe i'll get it to work with that.

If there's really people who got ValidParts working, then there must be some way to do it, and i'm willing to try anything other than blacklisting...

I'm currently creating a whitelist of YA female hair and clothes and I'll let you know if it happens to work. If it does, I'll be very happy.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 7:36 PM
Alright, so i couldn't download S3PE, but it doesn't matter, i think the problem is with the Dresser after all, because it doesn't do anything i set it to do, for example, i've set "Same Hair For All Categories", it does not work, same goes for "No Hats". So i'll try to fix that before doing anything else.
Instructor
#17 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 7:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samppuli
Alright, so i couldn't download S3PE, but it doesn't matter, i think the problem is with the Dresser after all, because it doesn't do anything i set it to do, for example, i've set "Same Hair For All Categories", it does not work, same goes for "No Hats". So i'll try to fix that before doing anything else.

Maybe it's possible you have the wrong Dresser for your patch level? See if that's the problem.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 7:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by southparkrocks
Maybe it's possible you have the wrong Dresser for your patch level? See if that's the problem.


It wasn't, and i noticed my Storyprogression isn't working properly either, can't disable careers for women (you know, medieval times..) and even when i've disabled them through Storyprogression > Caste:options > Females > Disallow career, and disable almost everything, they can still join them, and townie women can join them as well. I'll figure something out later, maybe it isn't the problem why ValidParts isn't working.
Instructor
#19 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 7:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samppuli
It wasn't, and i noticed my Storyprogression isn't working properly either, can't disable careers for women (you know, medieval times..) and even when i've disabled them through Storyprogression > Caste:options > Females > Disallow career, and disable almost everything, they can still join them, and townie women can join them as well. I'll figure something out later, maybe it isn't the problem why ValidParts isn't working.

Seems your mods are no longer working then, if I were you I'd reinstall them.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarat
Every mod page offers detail on the Mod itself, FAQ's, Interactions, etc. There are plenty of "how To's" and I agree some can be rather confusing when first learning. But that is what Chatterbox is for. We are there to help with the NRaas Suite and other mods the site now hosts. If you can not find something or need help understanding something please ask us. Googling or asking on other sites is not always a reliable way to learn how to use the mods. In some ways depending upon how complex the issue, it's kind of like going into a shoe store to buy oranges and apples, eh?

The other discussion boards are discussion pages each mod has. Those pages are for testing issues and/or reports the mods are broken or not working.


Where is the how-to for white listing clothes? How do you know to ask how to do something, if you don't know it can even be done?

NRAAS mods are powerful and do wonderful things, but I didn't even know you could do this with dresser. I thought all it did was increase the number of outfits in each category by 1 so there are 4.
Scholar
#21 Old 19th Jan 2017 at 1:28 AM Last edited by igazor : 19th Jan 2017 at 1:52 AM.
I think part of the confusion here might be that you cannot use a White List (ValidParts tuning) and a Black List (InvalidParts tuning) at the same time or very unexpected things are going to happen. This isn't my area of expertise at all, to be honest the Dresser mod is the only one in our collection that actually scares me. But we have other advanced mod users at NRaas who can help unscramble that.

StoryProgression appearing to not honor disabled careers suggests that possibly a different caste with conflicting settings and a higher priority is in place. But a better way would be to assign all females the custom Unemployed non-career placeholder from the Careers mod and set the SP caste, with sufficiently high priority, to disallow Find New Job.

I really do not understand this reluctance to come to us at NRaas for assistance. It's what we are there for. And there is no need to "hunt" out which message board to use, the general use board is Chatterbox. The mod specific sub-boards are for conversations with our developer, we don't really want general questions on those because fewer of our members will see them there.

As for the continued complaint from one member here in particular about how our hundreds of pages of online documentation are not sufficient and how we are not approachable, I've answered that one it feels like dozens of times directly now as has my colleague @brappl. Sorry, but given all of the work we have put into the NRaas wiki in the past few years, that one is just not funny anymore.
Instructor
#22 Old 19th Jan 2017 at 1:57 AM
I made my whitelist and did everything the tutorial said but have yet to see if it's affected my game yet... my main sim who is a YA female which is the gender and age I made the whitelist for seems to still have every outfit, hairstyle, pair of shoes, and accessories that I whitelisted, although I have yet to see if it's affected townie YA women as my sim hardly leaves the house, but I added some townie YA females as her friends just to see if it affects them.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 19th Jan 2017 at 2:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by igazor
I think part of the confusion here might be that you cannot use a White List (ValidParts tuning) and a Black List (InvalidParts tuning) at the same time or very unexpected things are going to happen. This isn't my area of expertise at all, to be honest the Dresser mod is the only one in our collection that actually scares me. But we have other advanced mod users at NRaas who can help unscramble that.

StoryProgression appearing to not honor disabled careers suggests that possibly a different caste with conflicting settings and a higher priority is in place. But a better way would be to assign all females the custom Unemployed non-career placeholder from the Careers mod and set the SP caste, with sufficiently high priority, to disallow Find New Job.

I really do not understand this reluctance to come to us at NRaas for assistance. It's what we are there for. And there is no need to "hunt" out which message board to use, the general use board is Chatterbox. The mod specific sub-boards are for conversations with our developer, we don't really want general questions on those because fewer of our members will see them there.

As for the continued complaint from one member here in particular about how our hundreds of pages of online documentation are not sufficient and how we are not approachable, I've answered that one dozens of times directly now as has my colleague @brappl. Sorry, but given all of the work we have put into the NRaas wiki in the past few years, that one is just not funny anymore.


Good to know we're supposed to use Chatterbox for general questions rather than hunting down the board for the specific mod. See? I've been posting in the wrong area.

Well, where is the "how to" which explains how to do what OP is trying to do? A "how to" explains how to do something, it isn't a list of interactions.

And the wording is confusing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRAAS
Add

Increases the number of outfits available in a category by one
This will allow you to add more than the normal three categories to an outfit.


Okay, use "Add" to increase the number of outfits in a category by one. But shouldn't the second line be "This will allow you to add more than the normal three categories outfits to an outift category"?

Or this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRAAS
Invalid Parts are user-defined via the "InvalidParts" tuning file. You must have some knowledge of tuning to utilize that functionality.

That sounds like editing an XML tuning file extracted by S3PE, right? I just installed dresser, and I don't see a package file that suggests it is a invalid parts file for dresser. The XML table in the Dresser mod has nothing remotely like this.

Seriously, NRAAS has great mods that often don't see their full potential because people don't know how to use them. I don't think I'm the only one who has trouble with them.
Scholar
#24 Old 19th Jan 2017 at 2:16 AM
You're right on the wording of the Dresser Add command, that makes no sense to me either. Care to guess where a good place to ask for clarification might be? We can change that in an instant if it's wrong or misleading. Again, this is a mod I never use myself so I never would have noticed that one. Will check on it.

The rest is an example of (a) not clicking through the link provided just above the instruction about tuning files that would take you to where the sample tuning files actually are and (b) not bothering to ask us for clarification (until now).
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Dresser+Phase+Seven+Tuning

But I think you really wanted to be on the FAQ page for that information, not the Interactions page.
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Dresser+FAQ

See, that wasn't difficult. Now if somehow we could just transport this conversation to where it really belongs...
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 19th Jan 2017 at 2:33 AM
Okay, now I'm on the Dresser faq page,
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRAAS
There are three methods to define which parts are validated by this mod :

Use MasterController's Blacklist functionality.
To do so, you create a blacklist of parts using the CAS interface available in MasterController.
Then turn on the "Check Outfits \ Use Master Controller Blacklist" option to start using that list.
Use the "InvalidParts" tuning package.
This tuning package allows to specify which parts you don't want to allow for "Valid for Random".
Use the "ValidParts" tuning package.
This tuning package allows to specify which parts you do want to allow for "Valid for Random".
All parts not included in this tuning will be considered invalid


Clear as mud. What's the difference between a blacklist and an invalid parts tuning package. All three are made in Master Controller? Or just the Blacklist? Click the Master Controller link and it takes you to the main MC download page, which is not what you want is to look around under "Master Controller FAQ CAS", which I suspected might have something to do with Dresser...

Okay down there it links to "anchor: [[MasterController FAQ CAS#Changes]]", where it describes an error file which creates the black list when your right click a part. From there is a link on how to edit the file...

Okay, we are given this program and it's great, but I had to go through 4 web pages and do some detective work to get to how to edit a blacklist file.

And this doesn't really give me a clue about invalid parts file. Is that different than a black list or is it different jargon used for both?

A real "how to" would tie that all together.

I don't think I'm being difficult when I say this documentation could be made more user friendly.
Page 1 of 3
Back to top