Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 2:24 PM
Default Vagabond Challenge
I started a new sim a few days ago, and it was super fun so I thought I would share.

Make the sim of your choosing, with any traits. Move that sim to an empty lot, and proceed to get rid of all of his money. I bought a few rather useless decorative items and tossed them into the family inventory, and a bicycle that I allowed my sim to keep. Then send them out on the town!

Don't build anything on the empty lot. Pretend it is not there, your sim is living off the town now.

Similar to the "Living off the Land" challenge (which looks great, it will be my next one!) you can fish, gather rocks, and harvest wild plants and sell the bounty. However, you can not garden (you are homeless, where would you do it?) and you can not send rocks to be cut/smelted/etc as you would need a home with a mailbox to do it.

If you earn enough money you can buy a guitar and start working for tips, but no regular jobs!

You can keep them homeless, or allow them to move into a house if the save up enough money to purchase a new one, but no building on the current lot.

It is a definitely challenging at times, and often hilarious! I would love to hear the stories if anyone else tries this.
:lovestruc
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 9:20 PM
Ah, I think if you make a sim, move them into an existing family household, and tell them to move - but pick the 'kick out' option, they're actually living on the streets, with no home. :]
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 9:34 PM
No, the game finds them a place to live. They go anywhere.
Test Subject
#4 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 1:02 AM
Aw, darn. Never used the option, so I was hoping. :P
Forum Resident
#5 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 8:56 PM
As buying a guitar and busking for money is allowed, is buying an easel and painting allowed?

Just out of curiousity, where does your sim sleep?
Test Subject
#6 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 3:40 AM
I haven't tried this challenge yet, but it sounds like fun. As far as sleeping goes, I once was able to have by sim nap on a lounge chair at the local pool, so it's possible.

And you could even give your sim the Mooch trait which could allow them to beg for change on the street - for the full effect!!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 4:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ciane
As buying a guitar and busking for money is allowed, is buying an easel and painting allowed?

Just out of curiousity, where does your sim sleep?

The easel would have to be placable on a community lot. I have not tried it actually, I will have too. So if you can carry an easel and drop it on a community lot to paint, sure! You can't place it on your home lot, because you have to act like it is not there.

You can take naps on some community furniture, or run your sim into exhaustion and let him drop where ever. I tend to do the later.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 5:24 AM
ok sounds fun started it where do they shower and go to the bathroom?

"I have chosen darkness as my guide, Broken is my heart, Pain walks by my side, Grey is my Reality."
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 5:34 AM
A number of community lots have bathrooms, and one of the pool lots has showers. My sim has taken a few sponge baths in sinks as well.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 6:40 AM
yeah I figured it out she goes to the gym by the park where she plays for tips it has showers, toilets and lounge chairs and is just a step away from park

"I have chosen darkness as my guide, Broken is my heart, Pain walks by my side, Grey is my Reality."
Field Researcher
#11 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 12:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sakitu
Ah, I think if you make a sim, move them into an existing family household, and tell them to move - but pick the 'kick out' option, they're actually living on the streets, with no home. :]

Well, I kicked out my sim because he couldn't afford a house but he ended up living in a house that was worth over $100000!!!! I was just kind of like what the heck just happened. Then my other sim that I kicked out moved in with another family that had like two kids or something. So it does not make them live on the streets but instead gives them money out of thin air that they use to buy a house.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 20th Jun 2009 at 10:23 AM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I HAVE to try this... Thank you for sharing it! *cackles madly and runs off to go try it*

Let's face it, I KNOW I've been at this too long when successfully importing a new skin texture or a new model puts me in a real life Platinum Mood!
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 20th Jun 2009 at 4:32 PM
wow this sounds like so much fun! Kind of like the poverty challenge, but more like the hobo challenge
The question would be, how is this scored, and when does the game end? What about kids, etc.

so basically buy useless decorative items and a bike, keep the bike and go be a hobo Sounds good to me. this will make for an interesting story line

good traits to have, Angler; Shmooze; kleptomaniac.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#14 Old 20th Jun 2009 at 6:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Beliah
It is a definitely challenging at times, and often hilarious! I would love to hear the stories if anyone else tries this.
This isn't challenging, this is how I NORMALLY play, because the amount of money you start with isn't actually enough to buy a house worth crap anyway, and as crappy furniture is actually harmful to your sims in TS3, you are better off doing without.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Forum Resident
#15 Old 20th Jun 2009 at 8:19 PM
Quote:
as crappy furniture is actually harmful to your sims in TS3, you are better off doing without

I normally play along the same lines. The Sims get a good bed and fridge. They go to the book store to skill build and use the bathroom until I can afford the good shower. They wait even longer for their own unbreakable toilet. I do normally buy them a small house though, so this would be a deviation for me.
Test Subject
#16 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 3:02 AM
AH I cannot wait to try this....I've been wanting to do something related to being homeless/a hobo ever since I got the game(:

"You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you."
• αrchïτεxτµrε •
Duck Defender
#17 Old 29th Jun 2009 at 4:46 AM
Sounds awesome!
Test Subject
#18 Old 29th Jun 2009 at 12:11 PM
That sounds cool. Gonna try it out right now:D
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 2:18 AM
Just a question, I am trying that challenge right now and when I let my sim pass out, they only pass out for a few seconds and get up right away... all I can do is take naps.

Is that normal or am I just missing something?
Inventor
#20 Old 19th Jul 2009 at 1:47 AM
Ciane - There is a painting easel in the museum in Riverview, so you could use that.

I'm gonna try this one; I wanted to do something similar with Lucky, but couldn't quite get the hang of it. 'Course, that was when I first got the game... but whatever lol. *goes to play*
Inventor
#21 Old 20th Jul 2009 at 1:22 AM
Okay, I've started up my challenge, and yeah, energy has got to be the hardest thing about this challenge. Lately I've been having my Sim take several naps consecutively, since she'll only nap for a couple of hours and then get up. I'm working on making friends so she can "spend the night" at one of their houses. That would be much better, lol!
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 20th Jul 2009 at 1:30 AM
This challenge is so fun. =]
This would also be a really cool challenge when a seasons-style EP comes out, then our hobo sim will be out on the streets during a blizzard.
Inventor
#23 Old 20th Jul 2009 at 3:10 AM
ROFL That would make for some funny stories!
Field Researcher
#24 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 1:45 AM
Can you get a part-time job?
Forum Resident
#25 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 6:06 AM
I am doing this challenge!

ELOOOOOOO x) http://nintendorkhome.forumotion.net/index.htm
My website.Please register!Off-topic talking on my website!

I'm back G's! "One More Time G" "AND I'M SOOOOO ANXIOUS"

............ xD
Page 1 of 2