Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 7:16 PM Last edited by BlackCat007 : 12th Jul 2009 at 2:20 PM.
Default [Tutorial]-How to build a specific lot type, where to have a party and why it matters
I gathered this information through XML files, and though it might be interesting to others too, especially builders.

added XML files which hold all these properties and more. You can open them with notepad, but I recommend free program XML Maker for better viewing and understanding.

Please remember, that this is from XML files, so it can be overridden by mods you have or through patches and EPs.

There are several types of community lots, for example library, gym, pool.... Almost all of these community lots are unique because of their buffs, nonplayer sims visiting times, crowd size and map tags.

How to build a specific lot type

Empty - self-explanatory
Simple - doesn't fulfill any other condition
Fishing Venue - min number of fishing spots needed on a venue before the game will think it is fishing venue = 1
Small Park - min number of park objects needed on a venue before the game will think it is a park =3
Big Park - min number of park-objects before the park counts as a big park = 10
Beach - min number of beach objects needed on a venue before the game will think it is a beach = 1*
Pool - min number of pools needed on a venue before the game will think it is a swimming pool =1
Art Gallery - min number of arty objects needed on a venue before the game will think it is an art gallery =16
Library - min number of bookshelves needed on a venue before the game will think it is a library = 12
Gym - min number of gym objects needed on a venue before the game will think it is a gym = 4
Graveyard - min number of graveyard objects needed on a venue before the game will think it is graveyard = 4 or/and min number of mausoleums** needed on a venue before the game will think it is graveyard =1.
Rabbit hole - any type of rabbit hole, except mausoleum. At this point lot looses its identity and you can see only the rabbit hole’s map tag. I think this is done so you can have many different rabbit holes on the same lot, like with Mirabello Plaza you have theatre, bookshop and grocery shop all on the same lot and three different map tags. Also sims’ visiting hours, preferences and crowd sizes relate to a radius around a rabbit hole and not to the lot in whole.

*This is tested, indeed, location doesn’t matter, adding one beach umbrella to the lot converts it into a beach type.
**Mausoleum has its own buff – creepy graveyard. It is not connected to graveyard lot type.

These lot types are listed in override order, meaning that once you fulfill a condition for an art gallery, this lot can’t be a pool, even if it has dozens of pools. Or if you have a gym, you will get a gym buff and won’t get a library buff, even if you have 100 bookshelves on the same lot.
I don’t know what graveyard objects are, park objects etc., but they do seem to be pretty logical. For example, I found out that beach umbrella is a beach object, and grill, swing set and chess table are park objects, while chairs and tables aren’t. That’s why Maywood Glen isn’t considered a park, even though it looks like a park type, it only has one chess table and you need three park objects.

Where to have a party and where not

Parties:
You can rent these places for a party:
Pool – 300$
Small Parks – 200$
Big Park – 250$
Beach Venue – 250$
Fishing Venue – 150$
Art Gallery – 400$

I always wondered why I can’t have a party at Recurve Strand (small beach) or at Maywood Glen (one with a chess set and a couple of tables). Now I know why: game simply considered them misc. lots, and those can’t be rented out for a party. By adding a couple of grills and a swing set I could have a party at Maywood Glen

Why this matters, besides map tag

Plus to known buffs and visible map tag difference, there are also additional properties to the lot types - about sims types visiting and crowd sizes and pick hours. All those are logical. You will more likely meet sims from Athletic career at the Stadium; there will be more people at the big park, then at the small; there will be no one on the empty lot; more bookworms at the library and athletics at the gym; restourant will be crowded during lunch and dinner times and so on. If someone will want this information badly enough I will post it, it’s just that it's a LOT of it . Just remember that lot type actually influences what sims you will more likely meet there.

If there is some other information about community lots you would like to know, please tell. I’ll try to find and post it. :P
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Venues.rar (4.5 KB, 1074 downloads) - View custom content
39 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 8:06 PM
Thank you very much for the info!
Fluffy
retired moderator
#3 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 11:07 AM
Ok, this was exactly what I was looking for.
Making a wedding venue and then finding out you can't have a party there kinda sucked
thanks, will try.
Scholar
#4 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 11:52 AM
Thank you Thank you.Its so useful.Big hugs.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 1:59 AM
Great information to know and thank you for sharing it.
Test Subject
#6 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 6:45 AM
Ah, this is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much for sharing.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 9:16 AM
I'm very glad you find this usefull. Thank you for great comments
Test Subject
#8 Old 4th Jul 2009 at 1:57 AM
So ,
what WOULD I tag a wedding venue as?
Because I just made one and I don't want to run into the problem Lethe S had !
I'm thinking park, but I don't want a bunch of jungle gym equipment there!
Test Subject
#9 Old 4th Jul 2009 at 6:11 AM
Place 3 chess sets.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 4th Jul 2009 at 10:07 AM
You may also experiment with different objects, there is no list to define what park object is. We discovered chess table and jungle equipment, but there may be more.
Test Subject
#11 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 6:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlackCat007
If someone will want this information badly enough I will post it, it’s just that it's a LOT of it.

Interested!
Test Subject
#12 Old 6th Jul 2009 at 5:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sammy_228
So ,
what WOULD I tag a wedding venue as?
Because I just made one and I don't want to run into the problem Lethe S had !
I'm thinking park, but I don't want a bunch of jungle gym equipment there!

My best suggestion would be to build a cove into one of the walls, one square deep, where you could just hide some chess tables, with no way of your sims *actually* getting to them.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 11:40 PM
I have a question about this if someone could help me. I'm building a coffee house..and since there are no restaurants, well none that you can actually go into Would I be correct in thinking that I"ll have to create it as another kind of lot to get visitors in? Also what type of lot would get the most visitors? Would that be the big park?
Babu
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 9:44 AM
Download the attached rar and look into the file with a word "venues" in it. You can open it with a notepad. There you will see when and how many visitors attracts a given venue., and alos what careers and traits.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 10th Jul 2009 at 1:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlackCat007
Download the attached rar and look into the file with a word "venues" in it. You can open it with a notepad. There you will see when and how many visitors attracts a given venue., and alos what careers and traits.

oh I didn't think of that*slaps forehead*
thanks a lot
Babu
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
#16 Old 16th Jul 2009 at 5:14 PM
Oh, I'm so glad someone directed me here!

Thanks so much for the info!
Forum Resident
#17 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 9:50 AM
Thank you for these info! now we know sims3 a little more

I create for my amusement. I share for -I hope!- yours :)
Enjoy and ... Happy simming!
Test Subject
#18 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 5:54 PM
At the risk of coming across stupid...

Does this mean I could potentially make a club type rabbit hole for my sims?
Theorist
#19 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 7:03 PM
Quote:
Does this mean I could potentially make a club type rabbit hole for my sims?

Not unless a club rabbit hole building is released in an expansion pack. The rabbit hole buildings are actually objects you place on a lot. Multiples can co-exist on one lot, and rabbit holes can be used on lots that have another lot type designation (ie: build a gym and put the spa on the same lot or put library and school on the same lot).

BTW, thank you BlackCat for posting all this info. It is proving very useful!
Test Subject
#20 Old 19th Jul 2009 at 9:39 AM
Ahhh I understand Thank you!
Test Subject
#21 Old 19th Jul 2009 at 12:32 PM
Thanks a lot BlackCat, now I understand why some parks build by me did not function as park at all. Your information opens a lot of possibilities.
Test Subject
#22 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 1:51 AM
So I've built a library, it shows up as a library, the bookcases magically filled themselves... however, none of the bookcases contain skill books or toddler books. Is there some trick to getting bookcases filled with these? I tried using the same bookcase that the pre-built library uses for toddler books, but it only filled with "Where's Bella?" and "The Adventures of Raymundo".
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 9:13 AM Last edited by BlackCat007 : 22nd Jul 2009 at 9:32 AM.
I never tried this, but maybe you can create a dummy sim, get him to buy all kinds of books and place them in your new library?

EDIT: tried and it doesn't work, BUT found another way. You can make this lot residential, place dummy sim on it, make him fill the shelves as you like. Then move him out and convert the lot back to community type, viola!
Test Subject
#24 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 7:48 PM
I'll give it a try, thanks!
Alchemist
#25 Old 1st Aug 2009 at 7:50 AM
nice info! thanks so much! now i can finally re-create central park and still keep it as a park! YAY! GO BLACKCAT!
Page 1 of 2