Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

TS3 STBL editor

by Namethief Posted 29th Jun 2009 at 10:45 PM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 3:17 PM by Nysha

39 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 35 Feedback Posts, 3 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Wiki Wizard
#2 Old 29th Jun 2009 at 10:52 PM
Thank you! This is a brilliant idea! I cannot wait to use this, can it edit lot thumbs?

It's ok, we all laugh-snort occasionally!
Check out some of my other stuff here.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 12:30 AM
Wow, this is very cool! Shall be having a good laugh with this anyway. Thanks!
Test Subject
#4 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 12:31 AM
awesome!

~Shadogate

Falcon PAWNCH!!!
Banned
#5 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 1:48 AM
To be honest, I'm not sure if I'll really need this...but I'm a sucker for cool things that I don't need (like this really awesome cd tower I bought...I don't have any cds) so I downloaded it and am convinced that eventually I'll use it. And I probably will come up with a reason too. lol I'm so stupid
Field Researcher
#6 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 5:00 AM
can this thing change the earn of any career?

Quote:
Call me Jarod , Jad , Jar , Jaro , Rod....
If you r a GUY , why don't you come and join us , the group "JUST FOR GUYS" :D
Sir Not Appearing In This Film
#7 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 5:09 AM
If you made the tool so it could add/delete entries, I would find it very useful. I would like to change the text on my posters I put up here, but doing so would change the text for all 3 of them, plus the in-game one, as they all point to the same entry in the STBL file. A way to open an STBL file, remove all entries, and add entries with new ID's for new objects would be a valuable resource.
Test Subject
#8 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 5:39 AM
I would love to be able to add an entry, as well. I'm dying for an "education" career, and I'm hoping that it would be fairly simple, as I would just have to add an entry to the school building.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 8:15 AM
@jarod95: No. It can just change ingame text. Earning and such can be tuned by editing the careers.xml. XML is human readable and can be easily edited with any texteditor. There are some threads relating that issue over in the modding discussion. This one for example is a good start:
XML general (tutorial)
The file you're looking for is careers.xml in the gameplay.package, payment is stored like this <BasePay>40</BasePay> , whereas the BasePay is meant as payment per hour. You can also change working days, hours per day and such in this file.

@Snaitf, shrewaskew: Those ID's are some kind of pointers which the game used internally. It's somehow calculated and you can't distribute it freely. So even if you would add a new entry to the STBL (with a valid ID) the game wouldn't recognise it automatically... you'd somehow need to tell the game elsewhere that it is supposed to show the entry with the ID x when event y would occur.
Same goes with deleting an entry. Say you delete the first entry in the STBL (was the description for a alarm clock if I remember right). If you'd click that item in buy-mode the game would jump to the ID and wouldn't find anything, so it would show a strange error message.
My guess is that if you make a new object for example you'd store the new text within that object-file somehow (I mean when you download new objects from the store for example... the vanilla game doesn't possess knowledge over it or the text that it should show if you interact with it.
The internal stuff is done somewhere else I'm afraid...
So with this tool you're bound to just edit existing ingame text entries.

@supaclova: Hehe... belive me or not - I don't use this tool for my own game. I mean I have tested it and such, but I'm playing with the vanilla-STBL. Strange, isn't it? But there are peoples out there who think it would be nice to change some ingame text, so this tool makes at least sense to them Like I've posted in the description, the main reason why I programmed this tool was to make it easier for others to edit ingame text and I knew how it could be done
#10 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 9:06 AM
@Namethief: Yes, i know that, you can create new STBL files the game will recognize without overriding the original, and I do know how objects reference the ID numbers inside the STBL file, I just haven't figured out the internals of the STBL files myself to edit them via a hex-editor, you have, so I figured if you could give me the ability to add/remove entries, I know how to do the rest...
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 11:24 AM
Looks quite good - renamed and redescriptioned the various computers and Cars in the game myself. Testing it out in a little while.

*Member most in need of spellcheck, period.
Zspace - An Animorphs Forum
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 3:14 PM
I'm going to download it for the same reason you've created it. IT'S NOT ARMY! IT'S AIRFORCE! ARGHHHH!!!! xD
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 6:37 PM
@Snaitf: The STBL is really easy to understand.
The first 16 Bytes is header-data. After that it repeats as follows:
8 Bytes identifier, an integer lenght[string], string in utf-16.
So to "build" a STBL you just need to copy the header, fill in the ID (the objectreference), count the numbers of symbols which would be the int and after that you'd add your string in utf-16 (this is why there are two bytes per symbol... russian language and such). Keep the byteorder in mind (it's little endian)!
So if you'd want to add the string "My Poster" or something it would be:
0x??.??.??.??.??.??.??.??, 0x09.00.00.00 [Stringsize is 9 symbols], 0x4d.00.79.00.20.00.(etc.)
I hope that this helps you a little. And I'm curious how do you get the object reference? It looks like a hash to me, but I can be wrong.
Perhaps I can expand the program a little so that you can create a custom STBL where you can add things.

@Antagonist.01: That's the spirit! My Sim won't work in the military because I don't want him to scrub latrines! Thought you'd start as a private or something...
Oh, and if you search for "Latrine Scrubber" to change it into something more suitable - keep in mind that there are two entries, the first Latrine Scrubber is for male sims and the second for the female. So don't wonder why there are two entries since most names are unisex in english. You can see the difference in Wingman and Wingwoman however.
#14 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 6:55 PM
Namethief - Ok, I'll look at this tomorrow as I have a class tonight, if that's all there is to it, I should be OK. To answer your question, the .object files have the same ID in them refrencing the ID in the STBL file to use (hope that made sense.) If I can get this to work, I'll let you know so you can add the functunality to your program if you wanted to.
Test Subject
#15 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 4:54 AM
Snaitf
Did you do some modding for the civilization 4 game?I remember enjoying the great generals mod.
#16 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 8:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by userunknown
Snaitf
Did you do some modding for the civilization 4 game?I remember enjoying the great generals mod.

I just replied to your PM, and yea, that was me. The only tricky part about that was getting it to show correctly in the UI. Once I figured that out, it paved the way for a lot of other modders to create their own great people, which was the real driving force behind the project.
#17 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 3:34 AM
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 3:57 AM
Hmmm, this is an interesting tool.

I suppose this would also work if you wanted to completely change a career by replacing the default one? For example, changing the Science career to the Veterinary career and changing all the job titles/descriptions accordingly?

Is there a way to create new careers without having to replace one of the default career tracks?
Test Subject
#19 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 2:56 PM
thanks
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 8:40 PM
Brilliant!
Test Subject
#21 Old 10th Jul 2009 at 8:02 PM
I don't mean to be a pest, and I'm sorry of I am. I asked this question in another forum, and now that I think of it, it may have been the incorrect place to ask. I'll ask again here, and keep my mouth shut about it from this point forward.

Can I use this program (Possibly in conjunction with another program) to create entirely new job careers? Careers that require unique skill-point gain, gives different salaries and has different job uniforms?

Thanks for your time.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 1:48 PM
Ashleigh825, ChumpSquared:

Yes, in conjunction with XML mods you can create a new career - but only by replacing an existing one. You can change skill point requirements, pay, uniforms and hours in the XML while using the STBL editor to replace the names and job descriptions. But creating a new career would require intense core modding.
Scholar
#23 Old 20th Jul 2009 at 5:34 AM
You need to extract the proper STBL from the fullbuild0.package how do i do this?? i, opened it in S3PE but see NO stbl just a crapload of code.
Test Subject
#24 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 9:21 PM
this mod is a great idea. my only question is... Can you use this to change the text in the interaction pie menues?
Test Subject
#25 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 12:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ToRnado
You need to extract the proper STBL from the fullbuild0.package how do i do this?? i, opened it in S3PE but see NO stbl just a crapload of code.

Once you've opened a package in S3PE, you can sort the entries:

1. Enable the 'Sort' checkbox under the list (to the left of the 'Hex' button) - this reloads the list with the option to sort it by selecting a field;
2. At the top of the list, the field tabs should now be 'clickable'; click on the one you wish to sort by (in this case, the 'Tag' field).

This will allow you to simply scroll down the (now sorted) list until you get to the group of STBL entries. Hope this helps.
Page 1 of 2