Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jul 2009 at 11:17 PM Last edited by Angstrom : 4th Jul 2009 at 11:28 PM.
Default Sims 3: University
I would really like to se a University expansion for The Sims 3.

Sims 2: University had some shortcomings, but I am sure that the Sims 3 engine would solve these. Here are proposed solutions:

Problem: Teens who go to University miss their big coming-of-age-day!
Solution: In The Sims 3, University students should not be a separate age group. Instead, Sims would first celebrate their Young Adult day, and have the option to go to University during a period of their Young Adulthood. Then they would earn their Bachelor degree well before they become Adults.

P: Most players find college time too long.
S: Divide university into two levels - undergraduate and graduate. After earning the first degree, the Sim may pursue the second one.

P: Students are too dependent on their home lots.
S: Problem will be solved by the seamless neighborhood of TS3, and bicycles.

P: Life in University is rather lame compared to real-life college life - maybe to appease a family audience.
S: The Kleptomaniacs, Daredevils, Insanes and Party Animals of TS3 would make the campus really exciting.

P: Assignments and lectures take too much time.
S: Put more focus on skill-building by hands-on practice. Biology students would do much fishing and gardening, Physics students would spend nights at the telescope, and so on.

P: University features have limited effect past graduation.
S: University towns should be campuses combined with regular towns, populated by non-students. Secret societies should also be open past graduation.

I would also like to see these additions:

* Careers relevant to academic life, such as Education, Law and Engineering.
* Orientation Day: Powerful social interactions during the first day of each grade. Automatic party in the evening.
* Sports equipment: Give us the soccer goals, the basketball hoops and the sandbags!
* Aliens and abductions. We didn't get them in the core game!

What would you say?
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 4th Jul 2009 at 11:22 PM
The solutions that you came up with sound very cool. I like them. College was... seldom used by me in Sims 2. Let's hope they make it better, if they make it at all.
Instructor
#3 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 12:13 AM
To me it seemes they already gave this to us with the option to have Young Adults in the base game who can take classes. This will probably be as close as TS3 gets to college.
Test Subject
#4 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 12:36 AM
I don't agree that's the closest we'll see of college. The people over at EAxis were totally geeked about doing a college expansion as I recall, I doubt they'll want to skip it totally. That said I'd like to see anyone be able to attend college at any point in their life after teenage years...or maybe some point in the middle of teen years.

I love the idea of graduate and undergrad. My GOD in Sims 2 college was SO long. I mean it was like...."years" in comparison to the outside uni lifespans. It made me wanna cry.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 12:39 AM
For your information - University takes 24 SimDays, excluding probation and graduation party. The Adult life stage in TS2 takes 30 SimDays.
Instructor
#6 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 12:41 AM
I think your forgetting that its no longer owned by BlackBox. Its unknown what the new owners (when it gets bought) will now have planned for its future.

I think it would be nice if they still did an Uni expansion. I just think it would be done in a totally different way than in TS2. Possibly expanding on the 'object buildings' with more classes ect.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 12:42 AM
Eh...I never really played the Universities, except to steal neat buildings to put in my main town.
I wouldn't mind seeing something tied in with work experience; maybe involving going into those mysterious rabbit holes? Heck, a "let's look inside" expansion pack could be fun.
It's just...if you can get all these complex jobs with the base game, it sort of makes Uni redundant. Why bother getting a degree when you can be a scientist anyway?
Test Subject
#8 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 12:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Angstrom
For your information - University takes 24 SimDays, excluding probation and graduation party. The Adult life stage in TS2 takes 30 SimDays.

But think of that, only a few days less than a whole lifespan. Human beings are adults for what do you wanna say, 30-40 years before we become elderly. We aren't in college (hardcore, we may supplement our education) for 24-34 years of our lives.
Test Subject
#9 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 12:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FalseZen
I think your forgetting that its no longer owned by BlackBox. Its unknown what the new owners (when it gets bought) will now have planned for its future.

I actually had no idea. Huh...well, then maybe you're right.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 1:17 AM Last edited by Angstrom : 5th Jul 2009 at 2:06 AM.
How many copies did TS2: University sell, compared to the other expansions?

Since University was one of the weakest TS2 expansions, there might be a risk that EA does not try a remake. That would be very sad.

The Sims 3: University would become truly great by throwing in relevant skill-building objects from previous Sims games.

* The chemistry set from Living Large
* The super-telescope from TS2
* Some of the career rewards from TS2 (the hydroponic garden, the biotech station, the surgery simulator etc)
* The microscope from Free Time (which unfortunately couldn't be used)
* The ant farm from Free Time
* The sports equipment from Free Time (as mentioned above)
* Rock instruments (a no-brainer)
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 1:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Splurgy
Eh...I never really played the Universities, except to steal neat buildings to put in my main town.
I wouldn't mind seeing something tied in with work experience; maybe involving going into those mysterious rabbit holes? Heck, a "let's look inside" expansion pack could be fun.
It's just...if you can get all these complex jobs with the base game, it sort of makes Uni redundant. Why bother getting a degree when you can be a scientist anyway?

Well, maybe in Uni, you NEED to get some sort of degree to get a job.
Maybe instead of being automatically accepted into your job, you need to have a degree and already have a few skill points in the subject. That way they can turn you down or let you work at a place, just like in real life.
Alchemist
#12 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 1:24 AM
Personally, i did not like the sims 2 university ep. For the reasons you listed in your post but i like your solutions. If EA does it that way it might actually work

Everything sucks, until it doesn't.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 3:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Splurgy

Getting a head start in the career would be nice, wouldn't it?

One of my TS2 sims had a Cum Laude degree in Political Science - with Charisma and Logic skill nearly maxed out. Her first job offer was as a Senator.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 3:50 AM
I think they will make a University feature in the next expansion pack, but that won't be all. In order to make the game more successful, they need to add more things to the game with each expansion pack. For example, The Sims 2 Pets and The Sims 2 University. If you didn't use these new aspects of the game, there was nothing to utilize but a few more objects. And in my opinion it wasn't enough. I liked the Pets, and the idea of educating my sims seemed like a good idea, but both were incredibly annoying after a while and I eventually stopped using the University and Pets aspect of the game. The University education didn't even give my educated sims any noticeable benefits. And if there's another expansion pack with stray pets that keep ruining my gardens by digging holes and being loud and obnoxious, then I will go crazy.

Anyway, back on topic. I think if they're going to make a new expansion pack with college, there's gonna have to be more to it than just a University. Like someone suggested, let people of any age past Teen take classes (Like a real college). And also expand the benefits to getting a collegiate degree to maybe offering new jobs that sims without degrees can't have. Like a Law career track or stuff like that. It's funny because in order to even get into the Medicine career in real life, you have to have a college education! Maybe they should implement this into the careers already available.

P.S. INFLUENCE POINTS?! Who honestly used these? These were a waste of space on the control panel and were annoying as all heck!

P.P.S. Please make the game HARDER! I find myself bored to death already, and the game has only been out for a month!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 4:16 AM
@icu2richelo: I totally agree that a University EP should offer something beyond the university degree.

A complete tutoring system would be much better than the rabbit-hole classes.

Something like the Hobby lots in Free Time, and the massage benches in Bon Voyage, where player Sims can be tutored by NPC sims.

If I want my Sims to study charisma/handiness/athletic, I don't want to see them hide in the town hall/barracks/stadium for two hours. I want them to enter a classroom where they practice before a teacher!
Field Researcher
#16 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 4:26 AM
I have a feeling classes for College sims will be the same as jobs, with the same choices between tones. I just hope there's more to it than just a repeat of highschool... That would be so boring!
Theorist
#17 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 4:33 AM
I think universities and studying should only be part of an expansion pack, not a whole one one its own.
This could just come with the work / businesses expansion...

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Scholar
#18 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 7:28 AM Last edited by aeval99 : 5th Jul 2009 at 7:40 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by icu2richelo
P.S. INFLUENCE POINTS?! Who honestly used these? These were a waste of space on the control panel and were annoying as all heck!

I didn't. I thought they were just about the stupidest thing ever.

I really don't know what they could do to make a University expansion more palatable to me. If they got rid of the endless parade of professors, the constantly ringing phone, heaping piles of half-finished assignments, dormies, secret societies, frats, mascots, annoying cheerleaders, repetitive gameplay, the influence meter, toga parties, sports parties, kickybag, busking jars, and all wants associated with them, it would be OK.

So...that leaves zombies, the cow plant, the espressso counter, sprinklers, community showers, the bass guitar and the NPC who would come in and cook all day. Maybe they could combine it with Freetime and make it like trade school. Sims could fix cars, sew, make pottery, and throw in things like flower arranging and robot making from OFB and it wouldn't be too bad. Hmmm...basket-weaving 101 anoyone? ]
Quote: Originally posted by Angstrom
* Sports equipment: Give us the soccer goals, the basketball hoops and the sandbags!
* Aliens and abductions. We didn't get them in the core game!

I like those ideas. I miss my aliens and sports parks.

Lab Assistant
#19 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 8:04 AM
yes i like that idea
"P: University features have limited effect past graduation.
S: University towns should be campuses combined with regular towns, populated by non-students. Secret societies should also be open past graduation."

yes i like the idea of tieng the two neighborhoods together. i still would like to go to the secret society in the adult life stage. i think that would be SO amazing.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 6:34 PM
The point with the Secret Societies should be making contact with high-career Sims who can help you out in different situations. They really could make a better implementation of this.

I would also like to see a "career ladder" for Secret Societies, where you advance in the ranks.

Candidate: allowed on invitation only.
Apprentice: Welcome at any time, but only have limited access to the building.
Fellow: May propose new candidates.
Knight: Whole building open.
Master: Gets access to information on all members.
Grand Master: Owns the building.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 7:07 PM Last edited by Angstrom : 5th Jul 2009 at 7:18 PM.
This pack should also offer low-budget alternatives to overpriced objects, for instance:

* A portable chess set
* Really cheap (but uncomfortable) beds and chairs
* A low-cost laptop computer (with performance on par with the cheap desktop computer).
* The cheap shower (without a booth) from TS2: U
Test Subject
#22 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 7:52 PM
I too would enjoy a University EP but only if it's nothing like the original! The ideas suggested on this thread have all been very good. What I personally need in order for me to truly enjoy such an EP is:

* Uni shouldn't be restricted to YA only. Adults and elders should also be able to attend. Teens who do very well at school may also be able to attend early. There should also be part-time courses as well (that can be done in conjunction with work), which would obviously take slightly longer to complete than the normal degree (a couple days more).
* Much shorter time. I don't think an undergraduate degree should take any longer than 1/4 of the YA stafe i.e. no more than 7 days on normal (and that time should remain the same no matter what age the sim attending is)
* Being able to build your own dorms without cheats!
* Uni should be within the main neighbourhood if possible.
* The components of a degree should be more complex. As well as classes attended, examinations and papers, the quality of the degree should also take into account relevant skills and research (including both reading relevent papers, articles and books to do with the subject, and carrying out and writing up a practical research project), and possibly some form of work experience (spend a couple hours in relevent job).
* No degree-only jobs. There shouldn't be any jobs reliant on going to university but instead there should be strong benefits for a sim who does go to uni (for instance, starts several levels higher and is promoted easier).

I'm also hoping we could back a lot of the brilliant objects we received in Uni (that was the best part of the EP, imo), like the extra musical instruments and sports equipment, the communal shower, fire sprinklers, barista counter to name a few... plus much more!
Field Researcher
#23 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 7:55 PM
I'm obviously proving my noobishness here, but how does one create a Young Adult in the game? Does a child/teen age into that on it's own, or do you have to go into Body Shop?

I like your plans though, Angstrom. It will make it seem more realistic as well.
Forum Resident
#24 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 7:58 PM
I think I'd want the University to be in the same neighbourhood, and not a sub-hood. Or perhaps, both. Sims who wish to stay in their home town could then do so, either living at home or moving closer to the centrally positioned University building/campus. Apartments would be well inplanted into this expansion pack, as would Nightlife. Make a downtown style area, clubs, bars, everything to make life outside of Uni exciting. But obviously anybody can go downtown, students or not.

The subhood option would be for those who wish to move away to Uni, probably limited in size as its just a campus with the same clubs, bars and such. Might be too much to ask for, but what if Sunset Valley and Riverview both had Universities, and a sim could go to either? Switching between hoods becomes possible, even if just for students, who could interact with sims from the other town.

For example, Jimmy from Sunset Valley wishes to study at Riverview University, so he moves there. There could even be an option to import sims from one of your Riverview save files. Jimmy could then interact with your own sims!

Maybe I'm expecting too much, and stuff that would never be implemented but heck, it'd be cool. I just get carried away with ideas
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#25 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 8:02 PM
Closing thread as we now have a sticky for all speculation and ideas for TS3 expansions. Please post here if you would like to continue discussion on this topic:

Expansion Ideas & Speculation

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Locked thread | Locked by: HystericalParoxysm Reason: See new sticky.