Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 7:01 PM
Default #$&*!ing gems!
Okay, so I've had a family I've been playing for quite a while now (week 7, day 5) and every day, I've sent at least two sims out all day looking for gems. I've gotten literally hundreds of gems but have never found a rainbow gem or pink diamond. I've got the collection helper and I usually clear the whole freakin' map daily (Sunset Valley), and now that they've got grown children, I usually send one or more rummaging or into the catacombs. I've got the Prima Guide so I know where they're supposed to spawn and I always check those locations first.

And thus far... no luck.

How the heck long does it take to get these stupid gems?! I wanted this family to eventually accumulate every gem in every cut, but if I can't even find ONE pink diamond or rainbow gem, that doesn't seem very likely.

Any pointers? How long did it take you to find these (if you have at all)?

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 7:05 PM
My sim found a rainbow gem in her backyard. I'm not even that into collecting, but I saw a rock in the yard and had the little girl go grab it to put on her dresser. Murphy's Law and all, I guess.

If you want to try your luck where I found mine, it is in the area behind the cheap shotgun house in Sunset Valley.
Scholar
#3 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 7:05 PM
I found the rainbow gem fairly quickly, but I had to collect over 2000 gems before I found the pink diamond. I found it at the Stonehenge type clearing, though I have since found it pretty much all over. Once I found one, I tended to find them everywhere, it seemed.

Or.. you can cheat using awesomemod to spawn random gems. It is random, but typically spawns the expensive gems/rocks/metals.

Creator of the Sparkly Things
In Soviet Russia, the Sims mod you!

ZOMG Patterns! ZOMG! Patterns! the Group!
Awesomeness: When I get sad, I stop being sad and am simply awesome again. True story.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 7:11 PM
I go up to the Simhenge thing every day - usually grab some bugs up there while I'm at it since it's a good spawn point for the rarer butterflies. Still not found one there.

Not interested in cheating with this - I'm doing it as a test run for a collector's challenge and cheating would sorta defeat the purpose.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Field Researcher
#5 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 7:42 PM
My collector sim has still not found the pink diamond, I have played him for weeks and he hunts every day, he has found 2 rainbow gems but NO pink diamonds!!! I do like you and clear the map with the collection helper. He has wasted away his young adult life looking for it. He has hundreds of space rocks and other gems, stacks of gold, silver etc..

He's insane and a loner who dislikes children so he has no family to help look. I made him some roommates to help him the other day cause I am afraid he'll turn into an elder and die before he actually finds it. (I know I could just turn aging off)

I was trying the klepto king challenge and had my klepto in another hood rummaging through trash and he found a pink diamond!! I was happy, yet very angry. I haven't gotten back to my collector yet but when I do he is going to rummage through every trash can in Sunset Valley.
Scholar
#6 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 7:43 PM
It's really a matter of luck and random chance. I had a sim whose first collected gem was a rainbow gem, and he wasn't even lucky. I've had others where I've done basically what you described and they have yet to find the pink diamond.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 8:30 PM
I guess I was lucky because my legacy founder(not a lucky sim) went into the catacombs and got a pink diamond straight away. It was her very first gem. And she needed the money. :D
Inventor
#8 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 8:39 PM
For a minute there I tought I was on the WOW forums... RNG is random :P

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 8:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Axe Gaijin
For a minute there I tought I was on the WOW forums... RNG is random :P

Hahaha this made my day. XD (damned Scarlet Rubies, I swear!)

My collector keeps finding the pink ones. O.o She must be lucky, though I am in Riverview if that helps. >.>
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 8:50 PM
Right, so, I made an XML mod to make it so only the rainbow/pink diamonds spawn in the locations where they spawn, at 100% rate, instantly, up to 10 at a time. Mainly so I can find where the damn things are supposed to be and not have my sims waste half their lives running all over the map looking in places they can't possibly be. Strangely enough, there are none of them up at Simhenge.

Scholar
#11 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 8:52 PM
So much for not cheating.

Awesomeness: When I get sad, I stop being sad and am simply awesome again. True story.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 8:53 PM Last edited by HystericalParoxysm : 14th Jul 2009 at 9:18 PM.
Well I'm not cheating to -get- them in my actual game, just to find where the hell they are supposed to spawn, in a separate copy of Sunset Valley.

http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...ms#Finding_Gems

Test Subject
#13 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 9:18 PM
My Sim found a Rainbow Gem while rummaging in a trash can as part of the Law Enforcement Profession.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 9:53 PM
Rainbow gems seem to show up a lot in trash cans and in the catacombs. The pink diamond I found ONCE so far, up in the mountains between the Military base and the stadium. My Riverview sim needs a pink diamond. He's got more Lumerious Gems than I can remember, and 2 rainbow gems, but I won't cut those until he's got heart cuts available.
Scholar
#15 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 10:38 PM
Most of my sims live at the "Mosquito Cove" lot location, that I've re-built. They find the rainbow gems at the Warehouse location with no problem. I'm on the 7th generation with one family, and not a single pink diamond, although I comb those spawning areas daily.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 10:44 PM
I've found pink diamonds twice, both times by scavenging my neighbours' trashcans.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 10:45 PM
I know exactly what you're talking about. It took ages for my sim to find Plutonium and Pink Diamond, and now he still needs to find Rainbow Gem. And he uses the Collection Helper!
But I still haven't tried garbage cans and the mausoleum. Maybe this would work, I'm going to try it out. Thank you for your help!
Scholar
#18 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 11:05 PM
I've always wondered if Riverview, which I play, has catacombs? It has Simhenge, but I only see an abandoned type mine shaft in a hill that is just deco. So where are these catacombs?

HP, interesting to see an admin start a help thread. :p

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." ~Albert Einstein
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.~F.D.R.
Test Subject
#19 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 11:10 PM
I'm not sure where they are, but I've had loads of rainbow gems.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#20 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 11:10 PM
The catacombs are in the mausoleum in the graveyard.

Hehe, Sisaly, admins gotta learn how to do stuff too.

Scholar
#21 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 11:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
The catacombs are in the mausoleum in the graveyard.

So I click on the mausoleum and get an option to explore or something? Never knew you could click on the mausoleum.

Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Hehe, Sisaly, admins gotta learn how to do stuff too.

But admins know alllllllll.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." ~Albert Einstein
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.~F.D.R.
Scholar
#22 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 11:20 PM
I just found another pink diamond, this time in front of the mineshaft.

retired moderator
Original Poster
#23 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 11:20 PM
Yep. Click on the mausoleum and you can explore the catacombs. You spend a while in there, click "chance card" type things that do -nothing- (literally, does not matter what you pick, they're just something to click on), find gems/rocks/seeds/books/etc. sometimes, and eventually get mauled by bears.

Field Researcher
#24 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 11:21 PM
I find 'em by the Criminal Hideout..
I found a rainbow one on my first try.
0.o
Scholar
#25 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 11:28 PM
http://nene.modthesims.info/showthr...ht=pink+diamond
Particularly the last post ^

Page 1 of 4