Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 8:33 PM
Default Object Cloning
I just used Peter Jones' Object Cloner to clone a painting and change the graphics.

It was quite easy. Select a suitable painting in S3OC (paintingAnimalGiraffe), go through the cloning process and save the resulting package.

After that I used S3PE to replace the giraffe-dds with a custom made and reimported the new dds into the package, again using s3pe.

After that I fixed the package in s3OC, saved and tested ingame: Worked like a charm.

The resulting package, however, is quite big for just a painting, about 1.8 MB. I used DXT5 for the texture since it had an alphachannel and that obviously was smart, since the frame was still changeable.

I have yet to test if DXT3 can be used and if the filesize is smaller that way plus I have not yet tried to compress package-resources.

Just wanted to give a quick heads up. It is quite easy to do this, but still in an experimental phase I would say...

Screenshots

happy simming,
Xanathon

Xanathon's Laboratory :: WishList

.: Do not harass me with requests via PM, you will only get ignored :.
.: Don't post my objects or objects derived from them on paysites or the exchange! :.
Advertisement
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#2 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 8:37 PM
There is no difference in filesize between DXT3 and DXT5. The only difference comes from going down to DXT1.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 8:43 PM
Thanks for the info.

If I pack the package with 7zip at highest possible compression I can get it to around 470k, so I would say there is definitely room to make the packages smaller.

happy simming,
Xanathon

.: Don't post my objects or objects derived from them on paysites or the exchange! :.
Site Helper
#4 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 9:22 PM
You could try the TS3 Recompressor:
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic,15129.0.html

Note: I have no idea whether this will help, so I'd suggest backing up first in case it doesn't work.
Tentacle Of Righteousness
#5 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 10:00 PM
Xanathon, out of curiosity did you on your painting change the thumbnails and text? I did on mine:
http://sims3tinkers.com/smf/index.php?topic=296

Tell me what you think. I was trying to look at your but I do not know enough German :D

Alt 255
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned
to a dead channel.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#6 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 10:08 PM
The cloner doesn't recompress (at least not at this time - not sure what Peter is planning for another release); you can take your package into S3PE and select all the resources at once and use Resource/Compressed or as someone above has mentioned there are other compressors. If you already have S3PE that's almost as quick as anything else.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
#7 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 10:14 PM
Is it possible to clone plants, fences, stairs, etc? I want to know if I'm swimming upstreams, trying get some new colour on the plants...
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 11:42 PM Last edited by xanathon : 18th Jul 2009 at 11:58 PM.
wintermuteai1: Nope, I did not change the thumbnail and strings, first I wanted to test the process... And sorry for my german only page, I want to do it multilanguage but thats consuming a lot of time and the informations can be found here anyway...

Edit: I guess you only did change the english texts? Which leads me to a question: If I remove all the description strings save the english ones will the game crash or will only the english text be shown for all language versions? Since my language skills besides german, english, php, java and javascript are nearly nonexistent I will not be able to set most of those strings to something other than gibbberish...

Mootilda: Thanks for the hint, the recompressor reduced the filesize to around 600k. (which is still somewhat big, but we are only at the beginning of cloning here, so this will improve, I am sure).

Inge: Thanks for the alternative method!

happy simming,
Xanathon

Sir Not Appearing In This Film
#9 Old 19th Jul 2009 at 1:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by xanathon
wintermuteai1: Nope, I did not change the thumbnail and strings, first I wanted to test the process... And sorry for my german only page, I want to do it multilanguage but thats consuming a lot of time and the informations can be found here anyway...

Edit: I guess you only did change the english texts? Which leads me to a question: If I remove all the description strings save the english ones will the game crash or will only the english text be shown for all language versions? Since my language skills besides german, english, php, java and javascript are nearly nonexistent I will not be able to set most of those strings to something other than gibbberish...

Mootilda: Thanks for the hint, the recompressor reduced the filesize to around 600k. (which is still somewhat big, but we are only at the beginning of cloning here, so this will improve, I am sure).

Inge: Thanks for the alternative method!

If you remove all but the English string tables, it will still work fine on an English game, but on other languages it will display something along the lines of *** 1445698877435489887589 ***, so the best way to do this, if you only know English, is to just change all the string tables to your title/description in English. At least that way they will still display properly in other language games, but only in English.
#10 Old 19th Jul 2009 at 10:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Snaitf
If you remove all but the English string tables, it will still work fine on an English game, but on other languages it will display something along the lines of *** 1445698877435489887589

Is this just an intelligent guess or have you actually had someone from non-english-speaking country test this?

In Sims 2, if you deleted all but the default (US-English) strings, the game used the default strings for all locales.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#11 Old 19th Jul 2009 at 3:44 PM
Update:

I included the thumbnails manually. When I tried to do this in S3PE (via resource export - editing the png in photoshop and reimporting the resource) the resulting package crashed the game. When I used Postals png import routine (via import button) it worked fine.

happy simming,
Xanathon

#12 Old 19th Jul 2009 at 4:27 PM
Have you made a bug report for this? Don't forget to include build version number. I know I have used S3PE to import thumbnails with no problems in the game.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#13 Old 19th Jul 2009 at 7:10 PM
Could you please test this?

New poster, changed the thumbnails and catalogue description and compressed the file. Works for me, but I guess a little betatesting is in order...

Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  xanathon_believe04.rar (499.5 KB, 22 downloads) - View custom content
Description: testpackage poster I WANT TO BELIEVE

happy simming,
Xanathon

#14 Old 19th Jul 2009 at 9:35 PM
Works perfect Xanathon, Thumbs and Stbl all good :D

Alt 255
to a dead channel.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#15 Old 19th Jul 2009 at 9:39 PM
Thanks for the heads up wintermute.

happy simming,
Xanathon

Eminence Grise
#16 Old 19th Jul 2009 at 9:55 PM
Hmm, I had problems last night doing the thumbs too. Didn't crash my game, but it messed up the texture on the object, for some reason. I'll have to try Postal.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#17 Old 19th Jul 2009 at 10:02 PM
It works with s3pe. It seems that you just have to save as a new package instead of overwriting the one you are working at.

The thanks for that hint have to go to wintermute.

happy simming,
Xanathon

Eminence Grise
#18 Old 19th Jul 2009 at 10:22 PM
oh, I see Thanks, Xanathon.
#19 Old 19th Jul 2009 at 11:54 PM

How about this for object cloning in action?

Made the firetruck ownable and driveable.

:D

Alt 255
to a dead channel.
Forum Resident
#20 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 3:41 PM
Oookay, I think I need some help.
I'd love to clone a lot of items and already did several, but there's this problem with the name/description that just never shows properly, all i get is something like ***235842155975631***.
I tried editing different parts of the package in S3PE and/or Postal, tried the method in the painting tutorial, also tried using only the Cloner for editing the text, nothing works.

I found this answer in the other thread, by Snaitf:
Quote:
When I looked at your stbl, I saw the hashes were different from the ones in your .object file. So I just changed the .object file to match the .stbl.
My question would be then, HOW exactly should I go about doing that?

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated! (by some simple mortal that knows nothing about coding and hex and "instances" etc.)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#21 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 4:04 PM
Did you use the newest version of the object cloner? The previous one had a bug that was causing this behaviour.

happy simming,
Xanathon

Mother Function
retired moderator
#22 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 4:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lemoncandy
Oookay, I think I need some help.
I'd love to clone a lot of items and already did several, but there's this problem with the name/description that just never shows properly, all i get is something like ***235842155975631***.
I tried editing different parts of the package in S3PE and/or Postal, tried the method in the painting tutorial, also tried using only the Cloner for editing the text, nothing works.

I found this answer in the other thread, by Snaitf:
My question would be then, HOW exactly should I go about doing that?

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated! (by some simple mortal that knows nothing about coding and hex and "instances" etc.)

Mind you this was almost a month ago since I dabbled in this kind of stuff, but I believe that in your STBL script somewhere near where "Checksum.fnv64" is at, your hash/key should be what's in between the stars and the value should be what you want the game to display.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't done this in awhile.

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Forum Resident
#23 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 8:08 PM
Thank you both of you! I redid one of my objects from scratch, with the latest Cloner, and now it has a description!! I hope the rest of them will work too! Thanks again )
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 1:14 AM
Somebody knows if it's possible to clone rabbitholes?
Eminence Grise
#25 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 3:45 AM
It is definitely possible to clone rabbit holes, and I believe you can do it with the cloner. Which is being updated daily btw, so if you're using this, keep checking for the latest version.
Page 1 of 2