Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 8:26 PM
Default How do you move to a different town?
Is it possible to move from one town to another? Cause I think someone did that in a story but I was just wondering if you could actually do it and if so how.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 10:11 PM
I wanna know too!
Forum Resident
#3 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 10:17 PM
You could save a sim or family to the simbin, and then move them into a different neighborhood, but I'm pretty sure they forget everyone they know outside of the family. They might loose their jobs too, I can't say for sure, I've never tried it myself.
Scholar
#4 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 10:22 PM
They loose all interactions with their town and game. I do this all the time, on the other note my non active households seem to keep their jobs and family interactions.

Disclaimer: I am just being a goof ball, please ignore me if offended.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 11:55 PM
I split up a couple of siblings and placed them in the bin, then put them back into the same town. The siblings forgot they were related to each other and I lost their family tree. One of the siblings had a baby with a townie and at first the game didn't recognize that he was the father until after I had him interact with the baby. But oddly enough, they all kept their jobs.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 11:59 PM
how do you place sims in the bin from the clipboard? Whenever I split up a household the ones I move out just go to the clip board. How do you put them in the bin?
Forum Resident
#7 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 12:41 AM
...isn't it the same thing? The row of families at the bottom of the screen (whatever you want to call it) stays the same between neighbourhoods. So evict the family and switch 'hoods. ta-da! Yes, they will loose links to family who don't move with them, and I'm going to imagine their jobs. They won't know anyone but their housemates in the beginning. Apart from that though, they'll be exactly the same.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 1:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by EmilyJud
how do you place sims in the bin from the clipboard? Whenever I split up a household the ones I move out just go to the clip board. How do you put them in the bin?

I think when you click on them in the clipboard, there should be a button that says save copy to bin. Hope that helps.
Test Subject
#9 Old 1st Jul 2012 at 1:07 AM
I have tried to move a sim into the sim bin and place them in a different neighbourhood but all their family tree go. So basically if you were someone's mother and you moved to the bin you disappear off the family tree but not if you are on the clip board. That just means you can be placed in the town.

I have been thinking maybe there's a way to save the sim to a folder in the mydocuments/electronic arts folder and place it in a new town but I'll post back if it actually works.
Eminence Grise
#10 Old 1st Jul 2012 at 2:16 AM Last edited by Srikandi : 1st Jul 2012 at 2:27 AM.
To copy a Sim household to the library, you can select the household in Edit Town and use "Save To Bin". You'll have the choice of saving just the family, or the family with their lot. Then you can save them in any town. Sims within the household will keep their relationships, but they'll lose their relationships outside the household.

If you want to move a group of families and preserve their relationships, use Twallan's Porter mod: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Porter

You still can't maintain relationships between the families that move and the families that stay behind... if you want to do something like that, though, you can try Twallan's Traveler mod. http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Traveler That lets you treat another city as a vacation destination, and you can even have your sims live there permanently (without the restrictions on stay time, working and so on you normally get with vacation destinations). It essentially gives you the functionality of TS2 subhoods within TS3.

For more information about how to use the NRaas mods I linked, check the associated FAQ pages and discussion pages at his site

By the way, you do not WANT to move your sims to another, completely separate world and maintain relationships with sims who do not exist in that world. TS2 let you do that, but it led to massive game corruption and instability. The way TS3 handles this is much cleaner.
#11 Old 11th Jan 2014 at 3:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EmilyJud
Use the phone, Click move to another town. Its simple!

I LOVE MY AMERICAN AKITA
Happy Simming!
Alchemist
#12 Old 11th Jan 2014 at 4:28 PM
Didn't you happen to notice the date on that post? It's from 5 years ago. I'm pretty sure everyone knows the phone option by now.