Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 7:45 AM
Default Does the Sims 2 even *RUN* on Windows 7?
Okay okay, I know: Read the system reqs.....but I hear a lot of people play in Vista which is supposed to be too new for Sims 2 so yea, sysreqs wont answer my question....Windows 7 works like Xp, looks like Vista....has anyone tried to run Sims 2 on it? and if so, success story?
I tried to install and run it once but I couldn't due to a PEBKAC error, so no, not a beg for tech support. If anyone has tried....and if anyone has succeeded....details please? Also, failure stories are funny too, so post them as well xD
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 7:48 AM
Have you tried contacting Microsoft? I'm sure they can answer this with a exact answer

~~~The Official Nintendork Island~~~
"I cannot love you like this anymore..... Alejandro"
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 7:52 AM
Of course not :D
Why do I need to be told when I already know they will say "Windows 7 is a Release Candidate. However fully functional, unknown bugs, stability issues, and incompatibilities may still result. Please contact the manufacturer for compatibility details. Thank you for helping the Windows 7 testing process, Sincerely, Microsoft Tech Team"

I wanna hear some stories :D
As well as maybe a few pointers as to what other people did in case I ever get the urge to install it again. Right now I'm kinda content with Sims 3.
Scholar
#4 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 12:38 PM
The Sims 2 works fine under both Vista and Windows 7. (speaking from 2 years with the former, three months with the latter). I'm not sure what Vista being 'too new' means regarding Sims 2; it does some things differently from XP but there are a lot of ways to work around potential problems with older programs (and I didn't run into any of them with Vista or Win7 anyway).

Windows 7 is actually much more like Vista than XP 'under the hood', they just tried to make it a little less bloated than Vista. It's okay, it's not anything amazing. I find the Windows 7 UI a little irritating--they're trying to make it more like OSX and it's no longer possible to get the start menu or anything into 'Classic' mode.

So, short version: successfully ran Sims 2 under Vista for a few years; have been running it under Windows 7 RC 7100 since May. (I need to wipe that box soon and get a newer RC.) The *only* thing I notice is that under Vista *and* Win7, there is a longer pause before the game or Body Shop actually *start* to load. Maybe 10 seconds where you sit there wondering if you actually clicked the button or not before it gets going. Other than that it seems roughly the same--I feel like the game maybe played a little smoother for me with all settings cranked up under my last Vista installation, maybe a reinstall with a newer RC of Win7 will help.

Oh, one other thing--Windows 7 video drivers, while technically not 'beta', are still hit and miss, at least from NVIDIA. In Vista I used to override the anti-aliasing on my card, trying that in Win7 produces bad results in TS2.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 3:10 PM
I have Vista and run The Sims 2 no problem - I might just be out of the loop but I haven't heard of anyone not being able to run it on Vista, I can't see why that would be? In any case, it runs just fine for my Vista machine.
Scholar
#6 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 3:18 PM
I've had more problems with Sims 2 on Vista than I did with XP, but I know nothing about Windows 7. I *do* know that I run Sims 1 on Vista just fine even though it's supposedly too new to play Sims 1 (I simply changed the settings on my computer to run the game in a compatible mode...don't know if Windows 7 has this though).

Beware of Elves giving wedgies.
Instructor
#7 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 4:23 PM
This question may be better suited for the Computer & Software Technical Support forum.
shiny!
retired moderator
#8 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 3:13 AM
Actually Windows 7 is built on Vista and all drivers which are Vista compatible are also Windows 7 compatible. It *should* work fine.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 8:48 AM
I recently upgraded from XP Pro x86 to Windows 7 x64. I have not noticed any significant difference in running TS2.

Although a major difference in interface, the programs I use frequently all run exactly the same as they did under XP. I have not faced the difficult step of upgrading to XP from 95/98/Me series.
Test Subject
#10 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 8:40 PM
I'm playing on Vista with no issues (just have to close down every single non essential background program to ensure smooth running) and I'm on a phone with Wynny who is playing on Windows 7 and says it's all fine! ^_^

Windows 7 is just Vista that doesn't eat all your memory according to my brother. Can't wait to get my free upgrade!!!! ^_^
Test Subject
#11 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 2:57 PM
The sims 2 runs just fine on the windows 7 RC
Field Researcher
#12 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 3:26 PM
Quote:
they're trying to make it more like OSX

You mean Mac OS X? Damnit Microsoft! When Will you ever learn that Windows will never be as superior as Mac OS? (Dedicated Mac User scince 3/30/07 forced to use a DELL now because of startup issues )

Garbage Isn't a wierd band, Garbage is an Immensely talented Group of strange people.
Quote:
"No, I'm not Shirley the girl, I'm the woman on MTV with the big boots." - Shirley Manson
Instructor
#13 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 3:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by IloveGarbage
You mean Mac OS X? Damnit Microsoft! When Will you ever learn that Windows will never be as superior as Mac OS? (Dedicated Mac User scince 3/30/07 forced to use a DELL now because of startup issues )

If anything, Vista handles games better than XP ever did (unless they're really old and only work with 98/ME/XP). It clearly states on the disc box that you can play it with XP AND VISTA.

I found the game way too slow and choppy when I was on XP. Vista is like a DREAM!

Yeah, I heard that Steve Jobs went to check out Vista upon release back in '06 and his reaction was basically, "WTF?!!!!! HOW COME THEY'RE COPYING US (ME)?" Yeah, I know.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 4:11 PM
Yeah, before the release of Vista Apple plaayed a joke on Microsoft. They Went to Microsoft HQ in Redmond, WA and put up this huge banner that said "Redmond, Start your photocopiers!" apparently ther took it seriously.

Garbage Isn't a wierd band, Garbage is an Immensely talented Group of strange people.
Quote:
"No, I'm not Shirley the girl, I'm the woman on MTV with the big boots." - Shirley Manson
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 12:02 AM
Apple: For people who don't mind paying 2000$ for shiny mediocrity.

When will you guys realize Macs have the same Intel based hardware as a 400$ Dell or HP?
Field Researcher
#16 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 1:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by phantomneko
Apple: For people who don't mind paying 2000$ for shiny mediocrity.

When will you guys realize Macs have the same Intel based hardware as a 400$ Dell or HP?
HEY! Mac OS is far better than crappy WINDOWS! It sucks!! I know that Macs Have Intel processors, but that's only been since 2006.

Quote:
Alchemist
#17 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 1:18 AM
Woah.. Mac is better than Windows? Thats a personal opinion and also one that I don't believe in.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 1:34 AM
Would people just STOP IT!?

Quote:
Alchemist
#19 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 1:40 AM
Well, You DID start it..
Field Researcher
#20 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 2:01 AM
Well, it's the TRUTH!

Quote:
Alchemist
#21 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 2:33 AM
Okay, okay, each to his own I suppose. Im ending this here.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 2:38 AM
Whatever.

Quote:
Instructor
#23 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 2:39 AM
Seriously guys, take it to a PC debate forum. This is a game forum, and not even a game debate one at that.

Each computer has their OWN good and bad. You can't say one is all better than the other. Different people WILL want different things; I don't know why people won't understand that. My father compared it to Sony; back in the day, they made ONE type of CD or something and no one else could play unless they bought a Sony; Mac doesn't run games and most Windows programs. (Even if they do, they're watered down versions.) My sister has a Mac, and I've played on one before. It's hard... ask Sims 2 Mac players. Too limited.

However, with Windows you WILL have bugs and viruses and all of that jazz. But gaming people need to have a Windows. It's just not practical to pay twice the price to play some cheap entertainment.

Anyway, this is really not necessary at all. I think the system requirements for playing Sims 2 on a Vista has been very clearly solved. Mods, close it.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 2:42 AM
There are games for Mac! and photoshop stuff runs circles around windows! there's a version of TS2 for MAc!

Quote:
Scholar
#25 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 2:48 AM
Vista is ... too new for TS2?

This is news, as my XP computer wouldn't even run the sims 2 disc, much less install it.

Quote: Originally posted by IloveGarbage
There are games for Mac! and photoshop stuff runs circles around windows! there's a version of TS2 for MAc!

Seriously. Take this to the computer debate forum. Okay?
Page 1 of 2