Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Smooth Jazz animation script editor

by TigerM Posted 21st Aug 2009 at 11:08 AM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 3:12 PM by Nysha

24 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 23 Feedback Posts
Mad Poster
#2 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 2:13 PM
This looks really good - you may or not remember my mentioning to you a while back there are several 'idle' facial expressions in TS3 that I can not stand and would love to get rid of, and it would be fantastic to be able to do this for myself. But, having run the app, had a look at jazzdata.package and looked through the Sims 3 Jazz wiki page, I'm not clear what to actually do. I opened the 'facial idle' screen and looked through the coding (I've done some coding in the past but am not an expert) and my guess is that we would change the values ('weights'?) of unwanted animations to 0 and then export it as a package? Is that right?? Will there be a basic tutorial?
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 2:51 PM
very nice, thank you

Every second of your life makes you more unique than everyone else.
Everything you choose to do changes society in some way.
Everything you say or hear makes you smarter than you were before.
Not actually evil.
#4 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 9:00 PM
Thank you. While I've not had a chance to take a thorough look at this, the concept sounds very, very handy. If this is no more trouble to use than, say, QAvimator for SecondLife, I'm sure it will see a great deal of use.

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 9:39 PM
EsmeraldaF: I do remember, and I had not forgotten. It's just not as obvious a thing as the other mods I'd done. As for changing the weight to 0, you that would work, or you could just remove it completely.

CatOfEvilGenius: This isn't that sort of tool, unfortunately. Animations are still being worked on, this will mostly become interesting once the tool to make custom animations is complete.
Scholar
#6 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 11:15 PM
Tiger you did it again. This looks so easy that I think I could play with it. The code looks pretty much common sense and easy to change. Thanks for everything you've done, I know how long you've been working on this.

Oh, good news, I ditched the patch from EA so I still needed the no swim panic mod after all

Do I need to install both of these? Will anything I do with it conflict with core mods? Will I even need them?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 11:47 PM
Only one is needed. One zip is just the exe, the other is an installer so it will go on your start menu.

And no, packages created with this conflict with only other packages created by this which change the same state machine.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 22nd Aug 2009 at 12:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TigerM
EsmeraldaF: I do remember, and I had not forgotten. It's just not as obvious a thing as the other mods I'd done. As for changing the weight to 0, you that would work, or you could just remove it completely.

Yes!! I decided to take a chance and deleted all the animations in the 'idle facial animations' screen and exported it as a package, and I think it worked - they are now showing a neutral expression while standing around idle, rather than screwing their faces up and sticking up their bottom lip, which I couldn't stand. I also took the opportunity to delete the animations for the 'Handy' trait where they stand there making idiotic faces while tossing a wrench up and down in the air for what seems like forever, and I THINK I've managed to get rid of that totally irritating animation now too (at least, I haven't seen anyone in my house full of Handy sims do it for the past hour). THANK YOU!!!
Firestarter
#9 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 4:42 PM
Tiger, thanks for this great program. I have one question. I was about to clone something today, when I saw a Female Sim Jazz and a Male Sim Jazz inside the cloner. I'm wondering, can those be added to your program? I haven't had time to look through them yet.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 11:29 PM
If they are jazz scripts then the resulting package can be opened with smooth jazz. What object was it you were trying to clone? I can take a look to see what's going on with it.
Firestarter
#11 Old 29th Aug 2009 at 2:46 AM
No specific thing, just scroll through the cloner, the latest edition of it, and you'll see those two files. So I'm guessing they need to be extracted. I just didn't have any time this week to look into it more. But I was surprised to see them in there. I think they are real jazz files, they cannot be cloned.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 29th Aug 2009 at 3:06 AM
Oh, I thought you meant it was part of the result of cloning an object, not that it was itself an object. Those aren't actually jazz data, they are just objects like everything else in the cloner. All the jazz resources are in Game\bin\Jazz\JazzData.package.
Firestarter
#13 Old 29th Aug 2009 at 4:52 AM
What are they, though? Are they animations? I just didn't know why they were in there.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 29th Aug 2009 at 6:44 AM
Everything in the cloner is an object of some sort. Some of them are used to assist animations, but none of them are directly animations or jazz scripts.
Firestarter
#15 Old 29th Aug 2009 at 5:04 PM
Okay, thanks. :D
Test Subject
#16 Old 5th Nov 2009 at 6:36 PM
Just a quick question. how would i get my sims to stop that stupid cheer they do when they're idle?
Test Subject
#17 Old 28th Jan 2010 at 8:44 AM
thanks for this program but i will not work for me correctly. I tried to edith some files but i allways get an compiling error also if I didn't change anything in the base code. Just open an existing file, do not change anything and a compiling error occurs.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 7:42 AM
I'm trying to make some animation scripts, but it's hard to find the animationclip names for what I want...
Is there an easy way I can get a list of all available animation names?
Alchemist
#19 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 12:37 PM
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for (or if it is all the clips the game has) but there are a lot of animation clips listed in FullBuild0 which you can view using s3pe.
Test Subject
#20 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 10:42 AM
Thank you an excellent program.
Put on panties; put on t-shirt; put on cape; jump out of high rise window. OOPS!.
Test Subject
#21 Old 15th Aug 2010 at 12:13 AM
Certain files always give syntax error, for example bedsocials and bathtub. Any way around this? It seems like it throws error on all files with floats in them...
Test Subject
#22 Old 7th Nov 2010 at 11:00 PM
Thanks for making this program. However it does not open jazz files that were exported by both S3PE and Postal, and gives a "Invalid character sequence" error every time

Saving a new .jazz file, and reopening it, without importing it into a package still works, but if I make a .jazz file, import into .package, then export again, and try to open it, the error will reappear.

I have WA with the newest patch, running Win7 64bit. Does anyone else have this problem?

I really want to get custom animation working, but without the ability to look at EA .jazz files to learn from, it looks grim

It is still possible to use this editor to create a custom state maschine as described in the tutorial , and it does work, with standard EA animation names, not with custom ones though. But the standard EA "single_animation" state maschine can do that too.

I hope you can update the program soon

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us and the future frightens us.. and our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between"
Forum Resident
#23 Old 28th Nov 2010 at 2:57 AM Last edited by lenglel : 30th Dec 2010 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Found it!
I've got the same problem using the base game on winXP home

Turns out the thing to do is *not* export the jazz file with s3pe.
Just open the package file itself with smoothjazz. A list of all the
jazz resources comes up, and you can pick the one you want to
edit.
Forum Resident
#24 Old 1st Jun 2011 at 7:14 AM
mobba: I think I figured out the syntax error. The bedrelax state machine has TGI
references where only instances are expected. I'm going through it now and changing
the references. This is going to be long and tedious, but I'll post the results when I'm
done.
Don't ask me, I just code
#25 Old 18th Mar 2012 at 10:18 AM
Hi all, you may be interested in this post:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=471730