Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 10 (Who?), Viewed: 10148 times.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Aug 2009 at 6:31 AM
Default Proposing and Marriage Troubles
I'm currently on my 3rd generation of sims and this is the first time I've encountered something like this, and am wondering if anyone else has encountered something like this before, and if anyone knows the way to get around it.

Here's the story: My male sim has no trouble going steady with his girlfriend, but as much as I try, I can't get the propose marriage option to show up. At maximal romantic intimacy (ie. extremely irresistible), the usual woohoo/try for baby options are available, but propose marriage is a no-go. When I switch over to control the girlfriend, she has no problems getting the propose marriage option to come up when at maximal romantic intimacy.

The only difference this couple had from my previous couples in the family was that they were romantically engaged since they were teens and had been going steady since then. The male sim aged up to YA earlier, and I didn't force the girlfriend to age up with a cake or by other means and instead waited till she aged up automatically to YA. During the period they were able to interact normally except that there were no romantic interactions, which was to be expected since YAs and teens cannot interact romantically without a mod.

I even tried to get my male sim to breakup with his girlfriend and then get them to go steady again, but propose marriage was still unavailable.

I guess it's still possible to get the girlfriend to move in and get her to propose marriage, but I would like to know if there's a reason behind this so that I can avoid such a situation in future. I suspect that the going steady at teen stage and then interacting without bring the partner up to the same life stage could have played a part in this.
Advertisement
Banned
#2 Old 23rd Aug 2009 at 10:49 PM
Are you sure said sim doesn't have commitment issues?
Forum Resident
#3 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starved4pizza
Are you sure said sim doesn't have commitment issues?

That could be it, or maybe you need to make them continue kissing, hugging, flirting, etc. One minute the option can be there, and one amorous hug later it could not. It's very stupid how the menu instantly takes away romantic options like that.

Onyx Sims is now open!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 2:02 AM
Neither sim has commitment issues.

I think I've solved the problem now though. It appears that the game will not allow a sim the option to initiate a proposal if the current family that the sim is in already has 8 members (including unborn babies) and the target of the proposal is not already a member of the current family. After one of the members in the family died, my male sim gets the propose marriage option under romantic once maximal romantic intimacy was reached.

I believe that most simmers do not usually play a family with full members, hence such a situation was not observed earlier. But anyways, if someone else encounters such a problem in future, reducing the size of the family should solve it.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 3:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosme
Neither sim has commitment issues.

I think I've solved the problem now though. It appears that the game will not allow a sim the option to initiate a proposal if the current family that the sim is in already has 8 members (including unborn babies) and the target of the proposal is not already a member of the current family. After one of the members in the family died, my male sim gets the propose marriage option under romantic once maximal romantic intimacy was reached.

I believe that most simmers do not usually play a family with full members, hence such a situation was not observed earlier. But anyways, if someone else encounters such a problem in future, reducing the size of the family should solve it.

hmm if that is the case, its a bit strange that you don't get a message telling you that you have to many family members....weird it used to come up with a message in the sims 2 but I guess its not the same for sims 3...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinshalott
hmm if that is the case, its a bit strange that you don't get a message telling you that you have to many family members....weird it used to come up with a message in the sims 2 but I guess its not the same for sims 3...

Well, the act of proposing marriage does not actually add a sim to the family, nor is it a given that the newly married sims will stay on in the current family, so you are not really in a situation which warrants the display of the message that you have too many family members.

Though I have no idea why such a limitation, if really so, exists in a family which has the maximum number of sims.
Test Subject
#7 Old 2nd Jul 2010 at 11:22 PM
Has anyone eventually fixed this bug? cause I'm playing the expansion and have just experienced it... I have a couple who have max relationship, are romantically involved.. and after exausting every possible romantic chat/option there still is no proposal option! and they can have proposals with other sim.. I also tried every damn trick to make it happen.. from changing traits to breaking them up and restarting the relationship! It's like the game is mocking me and just doesn't want these too poor love birds to have a happy marrige lol
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#8 Old 3rd Jul 2010 at 3:18 AM Last edited by J. M. Pescado : 3rd Jul 2010 at 2:59 PM.
Will examine. There are several separate bugs relating to this.

Issue investigated: Discovered I already fixed it. Blame issue on failure to use AwesomeMod.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 2:43 PM
I had this problem with a family except neither Male Sim or female could propose even at Extremely irresistible level.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 9:37 PM
It's like this. The game has three choices here (as long as it's going to limit you to an 8-sim household). It can let you propose but not marry; it can let you marry but not move into the over-full household; or it can not let you propose. The first choice seems kind of dick, and is the sort of thing that could really screw up a sim's life. The second would require that moving on marriage have even more complex code, and could also really annoy a player who didn't see it coming. So they went with the third option, preventing the proposal in the first place.

It would, however, be nice if instead of not showing the option, it showed the option but grayed it out with an appropriate tool-tip. But that would require that single option to have different code than all the other social interactions (which are programmed not to appear when unavailable, because how would you like to have every sim show the option to, say, accuse every other sim of being evil with a tool-tip saying they can't because the other sim isn't evil?).
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lytefoot
But that would require that single option to have different code than all the other social interactions

Actually, standing social interactions do have the capability to display a greyed out tooltip on demand already.

I use it for instance in Woohooer to inform users that one of the sims is a teenager.

It is simply that EA chose not to use that approach with the "Propose".

Cheers.

NRaas Industries: Sims 3 Mods for the Discerning Player, hosted by The Wikispaces.

Section jump