Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 26 (Who?), Viewed: 9404 times.
Page 1 of 2
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 1:44 AM
Default Running a restaurant (and a few other businesses)?
I've had the famed OfB expansion for a few months now. However, I still can't figure out how to do anything except the basic flower shops and bakeries.

I tried to do the restaurant thing, but I can't build up customer loyalty and I'm not sure how you run it to begin with. I made my Sim purchase a restaurant community lot, but the customers come in and order. Then they just stand around and I lose stars. It's the same thing even when I make restaurant home businesses. I do indeed have a podium and cooking stand set up.

The game guides do not cover much, actually. They just talk mostly about the customers, not businesses themselves.

Also, how do hair salons work? And can you really make ballet schools as businesses?

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 1:50 AM
Do you have tables and chairs set up for the restaurant? They need to be able to sit and eat. You also need at least one waiter/tress, a cook, a host/ess and it helps to have your sim do the selling.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 2:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosesforme17
Do you have tables and chairs set up for the restaurant? They need to be able to sit and eat. You also need at least one waiter/tress, a cook, a host/ess and it helps to have your sim do the selling.

Of course, I wouldn't miss that (though I somehow missed mentioning it). All of the restaurants are completely furnished with five or six tables and chairs.

How would they do the selling? Do they stand at the podium?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 5:41 AM
Hair salons are pretty easy. You build the lot and put in a makeover chair or two, and have a Sim purchase it. Once you do that, the service is automatically set up. All you have to do set the price for the service. You do that by clicking on the chair. Customers come in and stand and stare at the chair(s), deciding whether or not to purchase a makeover. At this point you can do sales interactions. Once you have a purchaser, quickly select your playable, click on the chair and select "Be Stylist." The customer will sit in the chair and the makeover will proceed either successfully or unsuccessfully. (Either way you get paid. Nice!) Usually, every successful makeover gets you a loyalty star. My salons generally reach level 10 very quickly.

I enjoy running salons, and it's a nice way to make over townies, if you're into that sort of thing, and make money off of doing so. I use clothing shops similarly to change the townies' outfits, too. Eventually you do run out of townies, though, unless you're killing them off or making them playable...

So I'm taking another stab at documenting a neighborhood. This one stars Benjamin Long. Pathetic attempts at humor can be found here.
I caved and made myself a Simblr. Woe is me. But hey! There's already stuff there that isn't here at MTS. :)
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 5:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCad
Hair salons are pretty easy. You build the lot and put in a makeover chair or two, and have a Sim purchase it. Once you do that, the service is automatically set up. All you have to do set the price for the service. You do that by clicking on the chair. Customers come in and stand and stare at the chair(s), deciding whether or not to purchase a makeover. At this point you can do sales interactions. Once you have a purchaser, quickly select your playable, click on the chair and select "Be Stylist." The customer will sit in the chair and the makeover will proceed either successfully or unsuccessfully. (Either way you get paid. Nice!) Usually, every successful makeover gets you a loyalty star. My salons generally reach level 10 very quickly.

I enjoy running salons, and it's a nice way to make over townies, if you're into that sort of thing, and make money off of doing so. I use clothing shops similarly to change the townies' outfits, too. Eventually you do run out of townies, though, unless you're killing them off or making them playable...

Oh, okay. Thanks!
Instructor
#6 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 11:53 PM
The host/ess will stand at the podium. The animations will show her using the phone as if making reservations and he or she will seat the customers. As far as selling it's best if you have a playable do the selling for a restaurant. But you would do the sells interactions like normal. Just click on the customer>sell>basic sell.
Scholar
#7 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 7:25 AM
Oh I'm glad you started this topic. The basic mechanics of running a business are a mystery to me, too. In my case I tried to sell produce out of a home based business I set up on my sim's farm. I could not seem to get any interactions to sell the produce. I had some fish I wanted to sell, too. I was trying to run a grocery. But maybe I was using the wrong furniture to display the produce and fish? I was using the little freezer cases. Was that wrong? Can you even sell produce and fish?
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 8:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersong86
Oh I'm glad you started this topic. The basic mechanics of running a business are a mystery to me, too. In my case I tried to sell produce out of a home based business I set up on my sim's farm. I could not seem to get any interactions to sell the produce. I had some fish I wanted to sell, too. I was trying to run a grocery. But maybe I was using the wrong furniture to display the produce and fish? I was using the little freezer cases. Was that wrong? Can you even sell produce and fish?

I've seen some fish stores for download here. I have no idea how that works; I would think you just use the icon that looks like a price tag and mark it all up for sale and people buy and you can restock. plasticbox made a fish store for her neighborhood Elsewhere and she uses the same shelves I believe you're talking about; find it here.
Test Subject
#9 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 3:18 PM
I haven't started the fish stores yet, but there're something to make business works, open/close sign, price tags on items, and a cash register,...hope I don't miss anything.

I'm thinking about home restaurant, how to make money without expenses, I don't have to pay bills and buy another lot, my sim servo can be a cashier while all my sims go to work, sigh...business doesn't make money much so I try to find some way to make more money (legally and right without a cheat ). I love a restaurant downstair and my sims live upstair like the movie Return to me, a small cozy Italian restaurant.

PS. There's a case for fish in

http://www.simwardrobe.com/
Mad Poster
#10 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 4:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersong86

You can, definitely. It doesn't matter what furniture you set them on; you can even just put them on the ground (Ew! ). But you do have to mark them for sale. I suspect that's why you're not getting any sales interactions. Your customers don't know the fish/produce is for sale until you mark it as such.

You do that by using the controller in the upper right hand corner of your screen. If it's a home business it should always be there when you're playing that lot. It's a circle with buttons on the edge of it. The one you need to set items for sale is the one with a picture of a price tag on it, I believe. Click that and then click on the items that you want to mark for sale. They will turn yellow when they're marked. You also set the price there as well. (Cheap, average, expensive, etc.) Your best bet is to stick to cheap/average until your business gets some loyalty stars, then you can start bumping up the price.

So I'm taking another stab at documenting a neighborhood. This one stars Benjamin Long. Pathetic attempts at humor can be found here.
I caved and made myself a Simblr. Woe is me. But hey! There's already stuff there that isn't here at MTS. :)
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 6:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spal
I haven't started the fish stores yet, but there're something to make business works, open/close sign, price tags on items, and a cash register,...hope I don't miss anything.

I'm thinking about home restaurant, how to make money without expenses, I don't have to pay bills and buy another lot, my sim servo can be a cashier while all my sims go to work, sigh...business doesn't make money much so I try to find some way to make more money (legally and right without a cheat ). I love a restaurant downstair and my sims live upstair like the movie Return to me, a small cozy Italian restaurant.

PS. There's a case for fish in

http://www.simwardrobe.com/

In my game, customers come even without the open/close sign. I know game guides say we need it, but I accidentally opened a store without it once and they just came!

I would assume she has all the other stuff already.

My Servo killed my Sim in the bakery.
Site Helper
#12 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 6:14 PM
@ Spal Restaurants are famous for losing money when you first start them.

I know HP was making wiki entries for running various businesses because she was soliciting input from the S2C community. Unfortunately I'm not sure what happened to all her hard work. But if you look at the archived threads at the sims 2 community most of the questions here were already answered.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *Come visit Custom Sims 3!*2013 Yearbook
Test Subject
#13 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 6:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost sdoj

I know HP was making wiki entries for running various businesses because she was soliciting input from the S2C community. Unfortunately I'm not sure what happened to all her hard work. But if you look at the archived threads at the sims 2 community most of the questions here were already answered.

I'm still new on everything, so don't mind if I'm asking, what is S2C community, where can I find it?
Test Subject
#14 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 6:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ove
In my game, customers come even without the open/close sign. I know game guides say we need it, but I accidentally opened a store without it once and they just came!

I would assume she has all the other stuff already.

My Servo killed my Sim in the bakery.

Lol, I feel sorry for you.
#15 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 6:30 PM
S2C *was* a sister-site of MTS2, but both were merged into MTS a few months ago. To find it, click on the dotted-underlined S2C in any post.

Oh, and the game *documentation* states that businesses without the Open/Closed sign are automaticaly open whenever the owning Sims are present. I don`t have any of the game *guides* to know what *they* say.

Also, please EDIT your posts, instead of double-posting. The site management has declared double-posting to be poor form.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Scholar
Original Poster
#16 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 6:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost sdoj

Do you mean the official Sims 2 website? I hate going there; it's too hard to read forums and screencaps are fuzzy.

I'll go look in HP's wiki thing now.
#17 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 6:40 PM
No, she means right here, at ModTheSims.info; we used to be both Sims2Community.com and ModTheSims2.com, both of which were still accessable last time I checked, but both sites are now merged as ModTheSims.info.

Test Subject
#18 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 6:43 PM Last edited by AlexNN : 10th Sep 2009 at 6:55 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralOperationsDirector
S2C *was* a sister-site of MTS2, but both were merged into MTS a few months ago. To find it, click on the dotted-underlined S2C in any post.

Oh, and the game *documentation* states that businesses without the Open/Closed sign are automaticaly open whenever the owning Sims are present. I don`t have any of the game *guides* to know what *they* say.

Also, please EDIT your posts, instead of double-posting. The site management has declared double-posting to be poor form.

Double posting, it's me right, .....which one? I'm confused, please explain..

LOL, Sorry for that, and thanks,
#19 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 6:53 PM
Yup. Instead of posting two consecutive messages, staff requests that we EDIT our post to add information. You do see the EDIT button on the bottom right corner of all of your posts, yes? Click that to add information, instead of on the Reply button. You`ll get fewer complaints.

Test Subject
#20 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 7:10 PM
Quote:
Yup. Instead of posting two consecutive messages, staff requests that we EDIT our post to add information. You do see the EDIT button on the bottom right corner of all of your posts, yes? Click that to add information, instead of on the Reply button. You`ll get fewer complaints.

Oh, that's still confused me because I reply to other simmers and you now, so if I don't hit reply, do they know I reply to them? lol, since you're here I will bother you a lot.
#21 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 7:31 PM
If you are posting AFTER someone else has posted, then posting a new message is correct; it`s just that posting two or more CONSECUTIVE messages that is frowned upon. Even so, there are times when it is acceptable, but those times are fairly uncommon. If you have a HUGE post that won`t FIT in a single message because of the message editor limits, or if you are posting updated information days later, they don`t mind double posting as much, but double-posting just for replying to two or more people at once is frowned upon, and double-posting to add "Oh, I forgot..." information is severely scowled at.

They also don`t like it when I over-step my bounds too often and try to tell people what policy is, so I`m hereby reminding them that I`m expounding at such length because I was ASKED to amplify. I also include a disclaimer that even though this information is true and correct to the best of my knowlege, it is subject to change without notifying *ME*, and thus could already be out-of-date, though I rather doubt it is.

Test Subject
DELETED POST
10th Sep 2009 at 7:38 PM
This message has been deleted by AlexNN.
#22 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 7:43 PM
You`re welcome, and thank *you* for enjoying it.

Edit: Say what? I just replied to the post you just deleted. ::confuzzled::

Test Subject
#23 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 8:24 PM
Quote:
You`re welcome, and thank *you* for enjoying it.

Edit: Say what? I just replied to the post you just deleted. ::confuzzled::

I was going to lunch, so I though I should put more, that's why I deleted, you sound like MonkeeGoddess on BBS, are you?
Site Helper
#24 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 8:48 PM
Actually they finally got that fixed. Now the S2C link goes to the Community tab.

The old community archives are here http://old.sims-community.com/

(You can find the link in the first post of the news article announcing the completed merge)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *Come visit Custom Sims 3!*2013 Yearbook
#25 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 8:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spal
you sound like MonkeeGoddess on BBS, are you?
No.

I gotta say, though, that I`m enjoying OfB every bit as much as I hoped I would. I`m still learning the tricks, though, so that might help.

Page 1 of 2

Section jump