Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Oct 2009 at 10:18 PM
Default texture - object
staff as it does to put two texture on the object?
why just make a chair. I do not know how to put the texture on the pad and the base of the chair?

for later in the game just recolor the parts that I'm wondering
thank
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 3rd Oct 2009 at 11:27 PM
You're going to have to map the pad separately from the chair.

For Sims 3 Paintings - SimsArtGallery
Alchemist
#3 Old 4th Oct 2009 at 1:10 PM
In Sims 3 most (or perhaps all) objects will have a single map that the entire object must be mapped onto. Parts of the object that you want to have different colored parts in the game need to be placed onto different areas of that map. There is a second IMG file you need to look at also. This one will have bright red and green on it for a chair with two recolorable parts. The two parts of your chair that you want to recolor separately need to be mapped such that all the parts you want one color are on the red portion of that IMG and all the parts you want another color are on the green portion of that IMG.

You can change the Red/Green IMG to correspond to your mapping once you've mapped your chair parts.

The picture you have posted looks like you have not assigned different parts of the chair to different parts of the map so that the shading is making stripes and patches instead of looking like natural shading on your chair.

Do you know how to map objects?

OM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Oct 2009 at 8:08 PM
have to do this in the UV MAP?
algem could you explain how does this
Alchemist
#5 Old 5th Oct 2009 at 12:39 AM Last edited by orangemittens : 5th Oct 2009 at 12:59 AM.
For mapping I use Milkshape. I posted a tutorial for mapping with Milkshape here:

http://www.junipersun.org/daystar/v....php?f=2&t=3499

The only mapping I know how to do is with Milkshape and so far it has worked with no problems for Sims 3. In that tutorial I discuss mapping onto PNG's. You can map your object onto a PNG and then save it over the dds without any problem.

If you are learning how to map and have questions you can ask here or you can post in the thread where you downloaded the tutorial from. Mapping has a lot of steps to it but none of them are difficult...if you've never done it don't let that stop you from trying.

What is your first language? Your English is fine but I'm just wondering.

OM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Oct 2009 at 12:47 PM Last edited by alexandre10 : 26th Oct 2009 at 12:30 PM.
I edited the file DDS to stay with the recolor the pad and the base but it looks like I

MAP: the original map of the seat cushion stayed on top of other stitches so I put them to the corner and put the pad did not work algem could help
[/QUOTE]
Alchemist
#7 Old 9th Oct 2009 at 12:24 AM
Could you post a package of the chair so I can look at the map in Milkshape along with the other IMG's the object has?

It's hard to tell from your pics exactly what is going wrong.

Did you alter the Red/Green IMG so that it matched your mapping?

OM
Alchemist
#8 Old 10th Oct 2009 at 7:12 PM
I got your PM telling me you were sending the package but there was no package attached.

Could you post it here? If you do I'll look at it and maybe also someone who knows more about all of this than I do will look at it...you never know.

OM
Test Subject
#9 Old 11th Oct 2009 at 12:10 PM
maby this will help.. if you have one peace .. what i do is to delete one or two parts with select > face in milkshape and the i put a copy back and then i delete the other part of that one so i have two parts.. when you have two part you can put them together as one, now you have two recoler parts...then uvmap it and your done..
Alchemist
#10 Old 11th Oct 2009 at 3:32 PM
I downloaded your cute chair and opened it with s3pe. I decompiled the MODL and applied the Red/Green IMG to it in Milkshape. Here is a pic of what that looks like:

The map in the Milkshape Texture Coordinator Editor was very large so that Milkshape was wrapping it around...that is...the parts of the map that can't be viewed on the Red/Green IMG in the Texture Coordinator Editor are being applied to the bottom of the map. When I scaled your map to fit onto the 512 x 512 Red/Green IMG there were still parts of the pad that were mapped onto the same color as parts of the chair. Here is a pic of that:

What I did was delete the whole pad and save the chair alone with a new name. I then mapped that onto the green. Then I hid that, brought the whole object back into Milkshape and deleted the chair leaving only the pad. I mapped the pad onto the red. I then unhid the chair (that I had removed the pad from) and regrouped these two parts into a single object. This is a pic of that:

And here is a pic of the new map:

I only moved the bottom part of the pad, but you can use the same method to move the part of the pad that is on the chair's back as well. I just wanted to show you an example of what I was talking about so I didn't move the pad on the chair back.

So the problem you're having is with your map. What you need to do is bring your object into Milkshape and look at the map with the Texture Coordinator Editor. You will see that your map is not fitting on the IMG and that parts of the chair and parts of the pad are mapped onto the same location of the IMG. This will cause them to share a pattern in the game which is not what you want.

You need to separate the two parts of this object and then move them onto separate parts of your map. I would suggest that you do this in MS because whatever program you're using to map with isn't working out for you.

OM
Alchemist
#11 Old 16th Oct 2009 at 12:21 PM
Hi Alex, I downloaded the second version you posted of your chair.

It seems the problem this time was that the chair was recoloring in the game but still the chair frame and chair padding were taking on the exact same pattern. That is, they were both being recolored by the same channel.

I looked at your object and I think what happened is that you somehow copied one of the greyscale IMG's over the Red/Green IMG and copied the Red/Green IMG over one of the greyscale IMG's.

All I did was clone the modern chair, export the MLOD and MODL, export the two greyscale IMG's and the Red/Green IMG. I decompiled the MODL and MLOD. Then I overwrote the MLOD and MODL with your chair mesh. I overwrote the Red/Green IMG with your Red/Green IMG and the two greyscale IMG's with your greyscale IMG's.

I then recompiled the MLOD and MODL. I reimported each of these into the chair package I had made.

In the game the chair takes two separate colors as you can see:

So I think the easiest thing for you to do at this point is simply re-do the chair. All this will require is cloning a new EA chair, exporting MLOD and MODL, decompiling them, overwriting them with your existing mesh (the mapping is fine on it...the mapping was not the problem.) Recomplie the MLOD and MODL.

Export the 2 greyscale IMG's and the Red/Green IMG and overwrite them with your existing IMG's for each of these but make sure that the greyscale is copied over a greyscale IMG and that the Red/Green is copied over the Red/Green IMG. It is important that these are named correctly when you import them back into the package so don't put the Red/Green IMG over a greyscale one.

Once you have done this, you should import the MLOD, the MODL, and all 3 IMG's back into the package and save. Then fix the object using the s3oc.

Then try your chair in the game. It should work this time.

When I looked at your map I noticed that the portion of the map you have your item mapped to is small. If you enlarge each piece while keeping them in place over the red and green patches as they are the texture in the game might look a little nicer...not so stretchy.

OM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 3:21 PM Last edited by alexandre10 : 26th Oct 2009 at 12:34 PM.
tried this seat but failed in his recolor it'll take 2 standards but so is with a color did everything right but it did not work look at the
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 4:03 PM
Is that MY Mondrian Armchair Mesh? I've not given anyone the permission to convert my stuff for Sims 3 so stop this please and learn to mesh yourself.

And btw the diningchair is from HolySimoly and I'm pretty sure they've given you no permission as well.

Minisite

TSR Workshop
A Custom Content Tool for The Sims 3
Forum Resident
#14 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 6:47 PM
I think Teko is right...
You MUST always ask for permission from the creators if you want to convert stuff!
Claiming as your own isnt good....

Check my tumblr:
http://eliasctifler.tumblr.com/
:)
Field Researcher
#15 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 7:39 PM
I know for a FACT that holysimoly plans to do Sims 3 Meshes, So i don't think they would be too happy about converting their mesh without permission.

You can find some of my creations here and the rest over at the following Dragon Black Sims
Alchemist
#16 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 8:34 PM
Ordinarily I'm adverse to piling on when someone has posted a clear reprimand that pretty much sums up my own feelings as Hraklis943 has done. But in this case I feel sort of obligated since I was the one helping Alexandre with the first chair, a HolySimoly chair as it turns out.

My apologies to HolySimoly for whatever damage they feel they've sustained over this. I had no idea this was their item. My apologies also to MTS for being inadvertantly involved in breaking the site rules on editing the work of others without permission.

OM
Forum Resident
#17 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 9:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
Ordinarily I'm adverse to piling on when someone has posted a clear reprimand that pretty much sums up my own feelings as Hraklis943 has done. But in this case I feel sort of obligated since I was the one helping Alexandre with the first chair, a HolySimoly chair as it turns out.

My apologies to HolySimoly for whatever damage they feel they've sustained over this. I had no idea this was their item. My apologies also to MTS for being inadvertantly involved in breaking the site rules on editing the work of others without permission.

OM

I dont think that you should apologise at all orangemittens.
You kindly helped the person above without knowing that this mesh wasnt his or hers...all you did was to help....
This person should be ashamed and not you...
Alexandre if you want to continue doing these stuff go and ASK the creators firstly for a permission...then come back at MTS and ask for help...

Check my tumblr:
Alchemist
#18 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 11:25 PM
Thank you Hraklis943 that is nice of you to say.

I'm not apologizing for my intentions. I'm apologizing for the potential consequences of my actions which, although unintended, are nevertheless still my responsibility. I have no wish to contribute to the annoyance, hurt feelings, or anger some may feel about this by ignoring the last few posts in this thread.

OM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 26th Oct 2009 at 2:30 AM
I know personally but I will not put Linnen the creator so I am learning so the texture of objects
understand peopl excuse will now ask Linnen
Test Subject
#20 Old 26th Oct 2009 at 6:10 AM
I don't see what the problem is, personally. If alexandre10 was planning to upload them under his own name, than yes, that is wrong. But if he was only trying to learn using other people's meshes for his own game than I don't get it. The Holy Simoly mesh is a free mesh, as well. How have they sustained "damage" over this? As for Murano, who cares if he loses 20 cents or whatever he gets a download if this guy converts his mesh for his own game. If you have threads devoted to how to convert sims2 meshes to sims3, what do you think that people will be doing?
How many people have converted hair meshes for upload, many pay?
Test Subject
#21 Old 26th Oct 2009 at 11:53 AM Last edited by dylanw : 26th Oct 2009 at 12:14 PM.
Well, MTS is one of the better sites that does NOT allow you to use other people's work. You should read the MTS user guidelines:

Content made by others

This should go without saying, but do not upload content made by others and claim it as your own. If you are uploading content with permission from the original creator... Before you upload the content you must have the original creator contact a moderator of MTS's Downloads section by private message, to notify us that it is okay with them that you upload their content. If you do not do this, you may be warned for stealing content as we have no way of knowing if you did indeed get permission.

I think that's pretty clear. MTS has always maintained certain values with good reason. I'd be pissed to see people stealing anything I'd made too.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 26th Oct 2009 at 3:21 PM
@flora523
I'd have been completely fine if it stated somewhere that these are meshes from other creators, used for private learning purposes and private use. However, that was not the case.

Minisite

TSR Workshop
A Custom Content Tool for The Sims 3
Test Subject
#23 Old 26th Oct 2009 at 4:55 PM
dylanw - Did you even bother to read my post? Try again.
teko - He didn't state that he was going to upload them, either. The guy can barely string english words together.
Many people have looked for help here with meshes clearly not theirs (the hair conversion thread being a case in point). I think the reaction here was a bit overwrought.

Also I learn a lot from these threads, and I would hate to see people afraid to post their problems because they are converting a TS2 mesh to TS3, and are not using their own mesh.
Scholar
#24 Old 26th Oct 2009 at 6:42 PM
what's wrong with using someone else's mesh to practice? If we can't even do that then we'd be as well to give up learning meshing. I've learned some stuff I know by downloading somebody else's stuff and having a look, should I have to say that if I upload something. "Oh I learned this by looking at so and so's stuff"

Please go easier on us learners, he did say he wasn't uploading it and we do need to learn somehow
Forum Resident
#25 Old 26th Oct 2009 at 7:44 PM
Guys relax...
We didnt say that he couldnt use a mesh for his practise but he could ask for permission before starting this thread...
As you can see Murano the creator of one of the objects was offended by this..
So just relax...in a while you are going to say that the creators are mean for saying that..
Sure practise with anothers mesh but do not claim it as your own...

Check my tumblr:
Page 1 of 2