Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Banned
Original Poster
#26 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 7:51 AM
Nah, it was confirmed to be fact that Hot Date crumplebottom is Sims 3 crumplebottom, in a demo video for the game.
Advertisement
Instructor
#27 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 7:55 AM Last edited by James009 : 25th Oct 2009 at 7:59 AM. Reason: Added my question
More Lore!
Quote: Originally posted by Claeric
Hmm, you want more of the lore, huh?...

This is why I wanted to see this thread fleshed out... Wow!

I hadn't thought of... any of that. I didn't know the lore was that deep. I mean, I knew they'd had some general consistencies but not that much.

Great work Claeric, you should write a book on this or something!

More Lore:
So, if the SimWorld nations are based on our nations what time period is it based in? Early '90s? 2000's? Do we have an Evil SimSoviet Union?

Also, what about lore from things like SimCity and the dreaded SimCity Societies (is that canon?)?
Field Researcher
#28 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 7:58 AM
lmfao...some people read WAAYYYY too much into The Sims and tbh, it's got me a bit concerned.

There's the lore thing, where they probably focused 0% on. They just meant the characters are a prequel. Honestly, if I was making the game, I'd also pay no attention to it because I'd figure The Sims community would quite frankly pissed off that their 'simtech' has taken a big step backward. I already miss Servo. : (

And with the "EA f*cked up TS3" shpeal...come ON. Really? Is it that bad that you're utterly disgusted by it? Jesus Christ people. Sure, TS3 had a few disappointing factors to it, but it's pretty much the same. People were going to be disappointed by it no matter WHAT they did. We'll be playing TS62 and people will be complaining that the space travel isn't realistic enough.

Sorry that EA couldn't cater to your every need. Perhaps you should play TS1. Or maybe get re-accustomed to TS2's loading times and one-lot play.

In short, get over it. Quit bitching and moaning. The problems are getting fixed by our modders anyway.

I don't really f**k with Africa, cause people are starving to death and that's not baller to me...-Dave Chappelle (Chappelle's Show, Cribs Sketch)
Banned
Original Poster
#29 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 8:03 AM Last edited by Claeric : 25th Oct 2009 at 9:04 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by James009
This is why I wanted to see this thread fleshed out... Wow!

I hadn't thought of... any of that. I didn't know the lore was that deep. I mean, I knew they'd had some general consistencies but not that much.

Great work Claeric, you should write a book on this or something!

Oh god, if that surprises you, you'll love everything else.

Y'know those included families in THe Sims 2 that you never touched? They're pretty much all connected.

Nobody realized it until The Sims 3, usually, but Michael Bachelor from The Sims 1 was Bella's brother. This would've been easier to notice if he wasnt dead in THe Sims 2, but their family tree in THe Sims 2 confirms it either way.

Hell, the sim's names alone allude to their personalities and connections to each other. They don't randomly pick this stuff:

Daniel Pleasant- hebrew name meaning "Judged by God" or "God is my judge". He...cheated on his wife. I like this one a lot.

Mary-Sue Pleasant- Mary Sue is a name forr fictional characters that are portrayed in an idealized way, without any realistic flaws. And a character in the movie Pleasantville also became a Mary Sue when she entered "Pleasantville", as opposed to pleasantview. She fits this description exactly.

Angela Pleasant- derived from the heavenly angels. Angela is nice and proper.

Lilith Pleasant- Means "of the night". She's dark, goth, and mean.

The Grunt family in Strangetown is fueding with the Smith family- and I find that interesting to note because the game makes it blatantly obvious that the Grunt family is pretty much, well, completely racist. They also don't get along with the Curious family because they are strange. It's interesting to note that characters with such true-to-life ideas exist what with how happy the game generally seems.

Quote:
So, if the SimWorld nations are based on our nations what time period is it based in? Early '90s? 2000's? Do we have an Evil SimSoviet Union? Also, what about lore from things like SimCity and the dreaded SimCity Societies (is that canon?)?

Time period is hard to say. Before I learned they live in SimNation I assumed it was someplace in Europe, probably in the 200s or so...but now that I think about it, it's probably the future in The Sims 2 and 1. Perhaps all of them are in the future(We'll see- Sims 3 is likely to get servos). It's hard to determine something like that as all the styles and houses are so varied.

SimCity stuff is loosely connected at best. You can get some of the Sims characters in SimCity4 and some in SimGolf, but there's not much canon to that(Cassanda Goth is in SimGolf and she is an avid fan of...guns.). Those are cameo appearances and don't mean much. Also note that the cities in SimCity are not THE SimCity mentioned in the Sims games.

What's cool and I forgot to mention is that the games are set IN SimCity. The services all come from SimCity in The SIms 2, the beach downtown in The Sims is SimCity Beach, the newspaper is from SimCity in The Sims 2, objects often come from SimCity- there's a pretty high chance the Neighborhoods are like New York City bouroughs. Still part of SimCity, but with their own jurisdiction and names. That or they're just outside of SimCity and it's a central Hub on top of being a capital.Hell, our sims probably work in SimCity, in The Sims and The Sims 2 at least.
Mad Poster
#30 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 12:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sisaly
Firstly, Maxis didn't start out under EA. Maxis was swallowed by EA shortly after TS2 came out. Maxis had NOTHING to do with TS3.

That's the ONLY thing they messed up??!!??

Really, I have no words.

In order of the things that are UNFORGIVABLE:

No Bodyshop
Horrible sim lighting in-game
STORY PROGRESSION
Recycled animations over and over for different interactions
Fugly toddlers that all look the same
Cocoon babies

I'm not saying that the game didn't have great added features that weren't availble in the TS2 base game, but come on. They took the quirkiness and pure fun out of this one.

All for the money.
All hail the corner-cutting, blind, deaf, party pooper that is EA.

let's not forget the game's tendency to crash randomly to desktop, and the lovely error 12/13 that won't let you save your sim's progress.
How about the lack of ANY imaginative themes like the aliens and vampires from the last sims incarnation (social bunny anyone?).

Also, how about the fact that EVERY SINGLE SIM looks almost exactly the same. You can play with them in CAS all you want, they still look like the others.

Not only that, the toddlers have the very same face. The children do too. They all look either sullen or evil, I can't make up my mind.

'steps off soapbox'
Test Subject
#31 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 2:47 PM
If you are saying that the lore of the families is perfect, then you are wrong there. Brandi Broke's future husband, which the pictures from TS2 put at about her age, is the same age as her parents in TS3. Also, Kaylynn Langerak, the maid who is early on in her adult stage of life in TS2, is the same age as Mortimer Goth in TS3, in fact she is actually slightly farther along in the child lifestage than he is. So adding in real world countries is not the only way the lore is messed up in TS3.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#32 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 2:53 PM
No Bodyshop

Bodyshop is not a necessary component of the game when the game itself is capable of performing all of the functions that Bodyshop was originally made for: Recoloring, making sims, all can be performed inside the game itself, then exported without the need for a bodyshop. It is simply obsolete.

Horrible sim lighting in-game
Matter of opinion, lighting looks fine to me. Of course, real life has crappy lighting, too.

STORY PROGRESSION
Yes, the basic story progression is absolutely worthless and destructive to the integrity of your neighborhood. It's really a crappy design. On the other hand, experiments in making better ones turn out to be very computationally intensive. I imagine they considered this an acceptable tradeoff over "nothing at all", although I'm of the view that nothing at all is still better than a counterproductive thing. You could always use AwesomeMod, ISM, or Twallan, though. Accept no Kewian-based substitutes!

Recycled animations over and over for different interactions
Concur. If they're going to recycle animations, they could at least recycle MORE of the TS2 ones.

Fugly toddlers that all look the same
Eh, they look that way in real life, too. Little maggotty creatures.

Cocoon babies
Well, we DO call them larva. Think of it as a pupal stage.

I'm not saying that the game didn't have great added features that weren't availble in the TS2 base game, but come on. They took the quirkiness and pure fun out of this one.
It does seem like a decidedly soulless reproduction at the moment. I imagine things will improve over time as more expansions are added. Base TS2 was a little dry, too. The mod potential of TS3 is far greater than TS2, though. If TS3 were to be abandoned right now, the potential exists to recreate most of the elements of TS2.

That said, for the PLAYER, TS3 offers little over TS2 that is truly good.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Field Researcher
#33 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 3:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
It does seem like a decidedly soulless reproduction at the moment. I imagine things will improve over time as more expansions are added. Base TS2 was a little dry, too. The mod potential of TS3 is far greater than TS2, though. If TS3 were to be abandoned right now, the potential exists to recreate most of the elements of TS2.

That said, for the PLAYER, TS3 offers little over TS2 that is truly good.

That is agreed 1000%. I think that waaayyy too many people are spoiled from all the mods and EPs from TS2.

I didn't have enough money to buy ANY EP for a LONG time on TS2, and I still found a way to enjoy myself. Same with TS3. I'm just doing a bunch of different things.

I don't really f**k with Africa, cause people are starving to death and that's not baller to me...-Dave Chappelle (Chappelle's Show, Cribs Sketch)
Instructor
#34 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 5:01 PM
As to technology, SimEarth is a Soror, in my opinion. Soror was the world in the book THe Planet of the Apes. It was literally Monkey See, Monkey Do. So little to no tech advancement from one generation to the next. Also, yeah, the timeline got screwed. Ages are completely off, as are people being alive or not alive, but then, I do remember reading somewhere that TS3 is supposed to be a prequel set in an alternate reality. So, in other words, EA said: We're too lazy to make everything consistent, so let's just say that this Sims game isn't in the same universe as the other 2.
Banned
Original Poster
#35 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 5:13 PM
I don't think to say the ages is wrong is fair.

THe age stages may be wrong, but that doesnt mean they raped the actual ages.

Mortimer and his PARENTS are both "Adults" in THe Sims. That doesnt mean both are adults. It's generally accepted that the life stages are there fore gameplay purposes only, not characters.

Kaylynn and mortimer both children in The Sims 3...then by The Sims 2, they'd both be maybe 30 years old...then by The Sims 2, yeah, they'd be in their 50s or older. But maybe Mortimer just aged more quickly. He certainly seems older than lots of Adults in The Sims. Perhaps by The Sims 3, both are 50, but Kaylynn is that dignified cougar kind of 50. As a result she's an adult and not an elder, as those titles are distinctively for stages in life and visual/permission purposes- and Kaylynn just simply isn't aged enough to fit as an elder.

When you look at her face in The Sims 2, it's not exactly dignified and tight and young. She's kinda saggy. We can't take the life stages so literally, I think.

Though of course there is the possibility that they thought the maid stories were intersting and simply really wanted to keep Kaylynn, since she's probably the most famous maid and the first one most players interact with in The Sims 2. But I don't think it's too screwed up.

Besides: You forget that our sims do have the power to keep from aging. Perhaps Kaylynn used the Elixer of Life. :D
Alchemist
#36 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 5:41 PM
Besides: You forget that our sims do have the power to keep from aging. Perhaps Kaylynn used the Elixer of Life. :D

an immortal maid.
why does that tickle me so much?

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Banned
Original Poster
#37 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 5:51 PM
Because it's a freaking awesome idea. :D

I also wanna note that when people whine that they "sucked the charm and quirkiness out of the game"(despite the game hardly being any more imaginative than base game sims 2)...they DID keep the tradition of french maid outfits. I half expected htem to turnt he maids into housekeepers like in Bon Voyage- but they kept the outfits. Those are a big part of the charm of the game, for me. I couldn't live with maids that weren't dressed so charmingly.
Theorist
#38 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 6:12 PM
Something a bit weird in the whole Agnes Crumplebottom lore thing, is that in TS2 we are introduced to the Dreamer family. Yet in TS3 Agnes' husband that died was a Dreamer and there are no other Dreamers (alive, anyway) anywhere in Sunset Valley. This brings to mind a few questions of how this is to be handled, and there's no way to handle it without creating a paradox. Presumably, Agnes could bring back her husband and they could be reunited to live happily ever after. If that was the case, then Agnes would never turn into the cranky Mrs. C who loves destroying dates. Leave her husband dead, and there are no Dreamers to make it to TS2.
Forum Resident
#39 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 6:50 PM
Nobody realized it until The Sims 3, usually, but Michael Bachelor from The Sims 1 was Bella's brother. This would've been easier to notice if he wasnt dead in THe Sims 2, but their family tree in THe Sims 2 confirms it either way.

Michael Bachelor's urn was in the Caliente household in TS2: I remember Nina getting scared a couple of times by him before I move him to a community graveyard ¬_¬ It took me a couple of years to notice, but only because I wasn't that interested in reading the pre-made stories and family trees.

Angelos Town Prosperity updated 11th June 2012. | Albion Falls BACC updated 25th April 2011.

Watch my Livesimming Channel -- 17th June 6PM GMT (2PM EST) Cresdale: Rules and Regulations (Part 2)
Banned
Original Poster
#40 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 6:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Misty_2004
Something a bit weird in the whole Agnes Crumplebottom lore thing, is that in TS2 we are introduced to the Dreamer family. Yet in TS3 Agnes' husband that died was a Dreamer and there are no other Dreamers (alive, anyway) anywhere in Sunset Valley. This brings to mind a few questions of how this is to be handled, and there's no way to handle it without creating a paradox. Presumably, Agnes could bring back her husband and they could be reunited to live happily ever after. If that was the case, then Agnes would never turn into the cranky Mrs. C who loves destroying dates. Leave her husband dead, and there are no Dreamers to make it to TS2.

You're confused- her husband was Darling, not Dreamer. Nothing wrong there.
#41 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 8:40 PM Last edited by CharmingFirewaller : 25th Oct 2009 at 9:40 PM.
I don't think to say the ages is wrong is fair.

THe age stages may be wrong, but that doesnt mean they raped the actual ages.

Mortimer and his PARENTS are both "Adults" in THe Sims. That doesnt mean both are adults. It's generally accepted that the life stages are there fore gameplay purposes only, not characters.

Kaylynn and mortimer both children in The Sims 3...then by The Sims 2, they'd both be maybe 30 years old...then by The Sims 2, yeah, they'd be in their 50s or older. But maybe Mortimer just aged more quickly. He certainly seems older than lots of Adults in The Sims. Perhaps by The Sims 3, both are 50, but Kaylynn is that dignified cougar kind of 50. As a result she's an adult and not an elder, as those titles are distinctively for stages in life and visual/permission purposes- and Kaylynn just simply isn't aged enough to fit as an elder.

When you look at her face in The Sims 2, it's not exactly dignified and tight and young. She's kinda saggy. We can't take the life stages so literally, I think.

Though of course there is the possibility that they thought the maid stories were intersting and simply really wanted to keep Kaylynn, since she's probably the most famous maid and the first one most players interact with in The Sims 2. But I don't think it's too screwed up.

That's actually an interesting way to look at it, and very believable too since there are kids who appear to be of the same age but really aren't. We could pretend that Mortimer's a few years older than Kaylynn or, like your theory, she could have used the Elixer of Life (which would be equivalent to Botox and hair dye in the real world, hence the face and the hair color).

It still bothers me that Michael Bachelor is Caucasian in the Sims 3 with red hair. In the Sims 1 and 2 he at least looked like he was related to Bella. If they hadn't named him that, I never would have even recognized him. At least people were able to tell that it was Mortimer Goth in the promo screenshots.
Field Researcher
#42 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 8:58 PM
I love this thread (minus the OT rant stuff) and I love this lore! I've never really paid any attention to it or thought about it that much. Tell us more, please! :D
Banned
Original Poster
#43 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 9:01 PM
Michael got tired of being made fun of for being a ginger, obviously :p

And yeah, it is equivalent to botox. She does look botoxed, too.

But the age ranges are so large that you can't go by life stage alone. In The Sims, the "default" age for adults is apparently 27, meaning all "adult" sims are considered 27 or older, I guess.

And in The Sims 3, adults are 30-60, I think. Sims 2 doesn't give any distinction anywhere, but it's 25-60, probably, considering Elders are pretty old in appearance and mannerisms, and there's no true Young Adult stage unless you choose to go to college..

So while Kaylynn is an Adult and Mortimer is an elder, Kaylynn may well be 57 years old while Mortimer is 64. And then in The Sims 3, Kaylynn may be 5 while Mortimer is 12. (Sims 3 children range from 5 to 12! Isn't that crazy?) Making them 30 and 40-something in The Sims, and 50 and 60-something in The Sims 2! It works :D

I'm not sure, exactly, where age distinctions come from, but I'm looking the life stages up on the Sims Wiki, and it seems to know what it's talking about. It's undeniable anyway that the stages are ranges, and not set ages, though.

EDIT: Wuh-oh, there's some things wrong here. In The Sims 3, mortimer is 6 days to Teen. Kaylynn is...what? Kaylynn is actually closer to teen. Hm. That screws things up a bit, but then we can still go with "She aged more gracefully" and/or "She used the elixer of life". Huh. That does kinda screw stuff up if you take the supposed ages literally, I guess Kaylynn is pretty mysterious anyway, so I think everyone would be pretty happy with "She aged more gracefully and the life stages are more distinctions of physical kind rather than true age" or "Kaylynn used the elixer of life a few times" :p

At the same time, Bella is only a day younger than Mortimer in The Sims 3, but he's an Elder in The Sims 2 while she is an adult. Though she was abducted by aliens and is altogether strange as hell, so you can't read into that too much.
Field Researcher
#44 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 9:13 PM
You have an answer for everything, don't you Claeric?

And yes, I agree that Bella is one strange chick.
#45 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 9:49 PM
I guess Kaylynn and Bella get a pass since in the Sims 2 they both left their homes. Kaylynn turned into a maid (and we all know how NPCs become immortal in the Sims 2) and Bella was abducted so the little green men decided to use botox on her too!

Or because Ophelia was aging rapidly in Strangetown, they had to slow down Bella's aging process to make up for it.
Instructor
#46 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 10:24 PM
I think what could have possibly happened to Bella is her age was thrown out of whack by the aliens. Notice that in game, once your sim is abducted their needs go up and down like crazy. I always took this to be from fright/motion sickness/and the passing of multiple days. Just think, you're in a spaceship that's going faster than the speed of sound, well what about that "1000 light years away" thing.

What I figured is that when they go up in the spaceship they could have possibly lived only 10 minutes up there but on Earth they could be gone for 10 hours.

So I reason that since Bella was kept on the ship for so long maybe the effects of time were visible in her. Maybe she only passed 1 month in that craft whereas on Sim-Earth she was gone a decade making her about the same age as when she left while everyone else got like 10 years older. So if Casandra was a teenager of let’s say 15, Bella would be at least 35 when she left, but if she didn't have a baby right away maybe she was 40, now if she only lived about 1 month on the spaceship or something like that and everyone else lived a decade Casandra would be about 25 ish-and engaged, Alex would be about 10 and mortimer would be at least 50 making him switch to an elder.

hahaha so this is all my reasoning which could be way off but humans need to rationalize everything so they don't go crazy with wonder so there's my rational explanation
#47 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 10:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lauralynn
I think what could have possibly happened to Bella is her age was thrown out of whack by the aliens. Notice that in game, once your sim is abducted their needs go up and down like crazy. I always took this to be from fright/motion sickness/and the passing of multiple days. Just think, you're in a spaceship that's going faster than the speed of sound, well what about that "1000 light years away" thing.

What I figured is that when they go up in the spaceship they could have possibly lived only 10 minutes up there but on Earth they could be gone for 10 hours.

So I reason that since Bella was kept on the ship for so long maybe the effects of time were visible in her. Maybe she only passed 1 month in that craft whereas on Sim-Earth she was gone a decade making her about the same age as when she left while everyone else got like 10 years older. So if Casandra was a teenager of let’s say 15, Bella would be at least 35 when she left, but if she didn't have a baby right away maybe she was 40, now if she only lived about 1 month on the spaceship or something like that and everyone else lived a decade Casandra would be about 25 ish-and engaged, Alex would be about 10 and mortimer would be at least 50 making him switch to an elder.

hahaha so this is all my reasoning which could be way off but humans need to rationalize everything so they don't go crazy with wonder so there's my rational explanation

That's got to be the best explanation to Bella's age so far!
Theorist
#48 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 10:39 PM
Quote:
You're confused-

Oh, phooey! Well, it wouldn't be the first time. :P
Banned
Original Poster
#49 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 11:02 PM
Yes, I don't remember the specifics(as it confused the hell out of me) but a teacher once explained that the faster you move, the slower time...appears to...I don't know. Long story short, a guy who went up in space and went super fast for a while would come back and find everyone 10 years older.

Bella's age is very likely the result of something similar.
Instructor
#50 Old 26th Oct 2009 at 12:09 AM
^^ exactly. I'm sure that's what EA had in mind when they kept Bella an adult.
Page 2 of 4