Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 4:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
No, the adventures reset. Treasure will respawn in the chests and allow you to loot the critical quest items you need when you receive an adventure. However, the adventures are keyed to once-per-household, so you will have to disband and reform the household by splitting it in order to repeat an adventure for subsequent generations of a fambly. Other famblies can receive those quests, but the tomb will be in "disturbed" state, meaning if you opened all the secret doors and pushed all the statues around, they remain pushed around and opened. Of course, you could be a considerate tourist and put everything BACK before you leave, but honestly, is repeating the same puzzles really fun?.

I unfortunatlly prefer to play only one household. If I move someone out of the house, it's generaly because I don't want to play them anymore. To be honest, I really wouldn't give a crud about the tombs reseting at all if it weren't for the visa points. Hell If they would give 30 visa points a pop for collecting rocks I wouldn't really be so annoyed. I think it's the set up that is more anyoying than anything. On the upside, I have found the cheat code to edit the tombs, so if nothing else I can at least make them more interesting to play...
Advertisement
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#27 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 5:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chellemh
I unfortunatlly prefer to play only one household.
Doesn't really matter. It's not about splitting a household because you want to split them into seperate units, it's just about arbitrarily rearranging things like shuffling a deck of cards. You can put everything back afterwards if that's what pleases you, it's the shuffling that matters.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 6:58 PM
I concede. I know your right. But moving people around, and back again seems like to much trouble just to get better visa levels. The tombs are lame, and doing them over and over again does get old after a while. I guess I'll just be happy with level two visa levels for my future generations, and not worry about it. The game does have potental, if nothing else as a way to distroy various sims through new torture methods. That in itself is worth the replay value. Thanks for your imput. I am greatful.
Eminence Grise
#29 Old 1st Dec 2009 at 2:45 AM
I agree that tombs ought to reset... it's not obvious to me exactly WHEN they should reset, though. They definitely need to stay open when you leave the lot, since there's no guarantee that you won't be teleported home in the middle of tomb exploration.

I guess a new adventure with a different sim for the same tomb would probably be the most logical trigger for the reset.

I'm expecting to see a mod that handles this one of these days *looks meaningfully at Pescado*.

On the replayability issue... I expected this to be THE major problem with this EP, but I have to say, it looks like less of an issue than I expected. That's because there's really a ton of content. I've been playing for a few days, spending as much time as possible in China, and that first family STILL hasn't quite finished all the content there. By the time I've played through Egypt and France as well, I expect to have completely forgotten how the starting tomb works.

And, on the "ease" issue raised by Pes, my feeling is *shrug*... in a normal RPG, a trap in a tomb might kill you, but you would restore a save or res up and be back at the same place within seconds. About the same amount of time that a dart trap knocks you out for. If your sim was killed permanently by traps, you'd just have to save every few minutes, and saves in the Sims are too slow to make that any fun at all.

The only way to add REAL difficulty to the game would be to deliver an electric shock or a fireball directly to the PLAYER... which I'm sure Pescado (and especially Mrs. Pescado) might enjoy, but I bet it would drive health insurance rates through the roof for gamers
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#30 Old 1st Dec 2009 at 3:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
I agree that tombs ought to reset... it's not obvious to me exactly WHEN they should reset, though. They definitely need to stay open when you leave the lot, since there's no guarantee that you won't be teleported home in the middle of tomb exploration.
There doesn't appear to be any mechanism TO reset a tomb. For instance, statues don't retain any apparent memory of where they are. Once a statue is moved, it stays moved.

I guess a new adventure with a different sim for the same tomb would probably be the most logical trigger for the reset.
That's basically what happens: The treasure will repopulate when the tomb is selected as an adventure site.

I'm expecting to see a mod that handles this one of these days *looks meaningfully at Pescado*.
Can't REALLY happen without major infrastructure changes in the game's data. However, you COULD sort of simulate this, in theory by exporting all the tombs to the library in their "virgin" state, and manually plopping them back when everyone is done pillaging it. In theory, this should work and not blow up the game.

On the replayability issue... I expected this to be THE major problem with this EP, but I have to say, it looks like less of an issue than I expected. That's because there's really a ton of content. I've been playing for a few days, spending as much time as possible in China, and that first family STILL hasn't quite finished all the content there.
There's a lot of grinding involved, and there's definitely far more "content" than BV had...but most of that content appears to be barely-thought-out pabulum created by monkeys.

And, on the "ease" issue raised by Pes, my feeling is *shrug*... in a normal RPG, a trap in a tomb might kill you, but you would restore a save or res up and be back at the same place within seconds.
It's not just about lethality: It's about the sense of DIFFICULTY. The DIFFICULTY involved in the stock tombs is frankly rather insulting. The traps are not only harmless, but they are trivially avoidable. On top of that, they aren't very funny!

About the same amount of time that a dart trap knocks you out for. If your sim was killed permanently by traps, you'd just have to save every few minutes, and saves in the Sims are too slow to make that any fun at all.
There could at least be more SUFFERING. I want TORTURE AND DEATH. Or at least torture.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 1st Dec 2009 at 5:06 AM
I put fire traps in the library in riverview, with a hidden trigger swich to set them off when a sim steps up to the book case. I have a second swich outside the door to the room to turn the traps off again, so the next sim will step up to the case...
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#32 Old 1st Dec 2009 at 6:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by chellemh
I...... On the upside, I have found the cheat code to edit the tombs, so if nothing else I can at least make them more interesting to play...

What is the cheat code? Please share. :0)
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 1st Dec 2009 at 1:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by porkypine
What is the cheat code? Please share. :0)

Testingcheatsenabled true, then enablelotlocking true. Be careful when you mess with the tombs though. It is possable to accidently loose the adventures that go with them...may I reconmend tinkering in a fresh hood first...
Scholar
#34 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 11:51 AM
The tomb resets if you save a new game. It reset for me. So if your adventurer then has a son who you want to be an adventurer, you would need to move the son into a new house and save as a new game.

Again I say, this worked for me and it was totally reset and in an unopend, undisturbed state.
Eminence Grise
#35 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 10:33 PM
Interesting, Fluttereyes. The question is, was it moving to a new house or saving as a new game that reset the tombs? From what Pescado said above, it sounds like "disbanding" a household is what does it, not "Save As". Have to test this
Test Subject
#36 Old 4th Dec 2009 at 6:35 PM
I hope the test finds that the save game is what does it. That way, at least when I start a new household in the neighborhood, I'll have fresh tombs to work with. Yes, most of the loot respawns for the second sim, but I've had problems getting the Complete the Tomb relic (for the collection, not the mission objective).

And, btw, SimGuruLilly stopped into the official forum thread on this topic and said that the no-tomb-reset was as intended. So, if you like playing multiple households (a la Sims 1 and 2), then be aware that the Lifetime Wish of doing 6 tombs per location will only be available to ONE Sim. Unless that save-game works, the replay value of the new advanture content is zero.
Eminence Grise
#37 Old 5th Dec 2009 at 6:17 AM
Unless you start a new game That's what I've been doing with my tomb-diving sims, since they aren't interacting much with their home hoods anyway.
Banned
#38 Old 5th Dec 2009 at 6:32 AM
New game means new neighborhood. Means lost lots, decoration, replacements.

Not a good alternative for proper tomb resets...
Test Subject
#39 Old 10th Dec 2009 at 8:09 PM
Hi. I just thought I'd share what I found on a different site while looking for a solution to this problem.

It's not a perfect way, but easy to do and so far it looks promising. My sim had a holiday house in France which she still owns but of course it resets to the state it was in before buying it. Which means updated furniture are gone, or even the house if you bought an empty lot. Friends you've made will still be friends.

First thing you do is copy and save the game with a different name, for this use "RESET" just to keep things straight. Then exit the game. Go to your Sims 3 save folder and find the one named "RESET". In there, you'll find .nhd and .package files with country names. Delete the ones you want to reset.

NOTE: This only resets the dungeons, not the adventures associated with them. Meaning you can re-explore the areas, but can not redo an adventure you've already completed.

Hope they solve this soon. No fun buying houses if you can't decorate them, but thats the smaller of two problems.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#40 Old 11th Dec 2009 at 2:22 PM
Interesting, Fluttereyes. The question is, was it moving to a new house or saving as a new game that reset the tombs? From what Pescado said above, it sounds like "disbanding" a household is what does it, not "Save As". Have to test this
The tomb will partially reset if a new household visits. Splitting the sim to a new household and switching to that household (resulting in the vaporization of the old household's inventory and whatnot without AwesomeMod), will perform the partial reset of the tomb and repopulate it with treasure. Moved statues and revealed doors, however, will not reset, as the game does not seem to know how to put a statue back to where it started, as the original data is not retained and the spot may have been occupied by another statue. Saving as a new game has no effect, it is the act of sending a different household that resets it.

Lab Assistant
#41 Old 11th Dec 2009 at 5:00 PM
Keep in mind that if your sim runs everywhere, they are gaining distance and cardio time for the athletic challenges. That is why I was MAKING my sim run and not allowing him to use the bike in China!

I have Shimrod's Adventure mod and it does make the same adventure be offered to my sim however the tomb did not reset so the keystones were still there and the doors all open and the treasure gone. Maybe I have something else conflicting...I will have to look into that.

"There's a hard life for every silver spoon, there's a touch of grey for every shade of blue. That's the way that I see life, if there was nothing wrong, then there'd be nothing right." - Shinedown
Banned
#42 Old 11th Dec 2009 at 5:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Muga
Hi. I just thought I'd share what I found on a different site while looking for a solution to this problem.

It's not a perfect way, but easy to do and so far it looks promising. My sim had a holiday house in France which she still owns but of course it resets to the state it was in before buying it. Which means updated furniture are gone, or even the house if you bought an empty lot. Friends you've made will still be friends.

First thing you do is copy and save the game with a different name, for this use "RESET" just to keep things straight. Then exit the game. Go to your Sims 3 save folder and find the one named "RESET". In there, you'll find .nhd and .package files with country names. Delete the ones you want to reset.

NOTE: This only resets the dungeons, not the adventures associated with them. Meaning you can re-explore the areas, but can not redo an adventure you've already completed.

Hope they solve this soon. No fun buying houses if you can't decorate them, but thats the smaller of two problems.

This makes sense. It's because your save game is for your neighborhood. Each new save game has its own destinations associated with it...and copying a save game is the equivalent of starting a new game: Those destinations are recreated, and thus: Reset.

But since you copied your save, completed adventures are kept completed. Cool.
Mad Poster
#43 Old 11th Dec 2009 at 10:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gta3champion
I have Shimrod's Adventure mod and it does make the same adventure be offered to my sim however the tomb did not reset so the keystones were still there and the doors all open and the treasure gone. Maybe I have something else conflicting...I will have to look into that.

The tombs don't reset with this mod, it states this in the description. Only the Adventure Opportunities are changed from the OncePerHousehold to Always. The simpler adventures were typed in there 'Always', so I changed all the others to the same thing. Easy.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Test Subject
#44 Old 12th Dec 2009 at 12:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Claeric
This makes sense. It's because your save game is for your neighborhood. Each new save game has its own destinations associated with it...and copying a save game is the equivalent of starting a new game: Those destinations are recreated, and thus: Reset.

But since you copied your save, completed adventures are kept completed. Cool.

I tried that, but it borked up my game.
Could not place stuff anymore (turned invisible when touched with the in game hand toolthingy), the family inventory got unusuable too.

But maybe I did it wrong. I deleted the files, but did not go on another vacation right away (wchich should have brought those files back, I guess).
Eminence Grise
#45 Old 12th Dec 2009 at 11:11 PM
Keep in mind that if your sim runs everywhere, they are gaining distance and cardio time for the athletic challenges. That is why I was MAKING my sim run and not allowing him to use the bike in China!

Jogging does that, regular running doesn't though, unless I've really been missing something.

Yeah, from the other posts in this thread I gather that there's no mechanism in the game for a TRUE reset, because the game doesn't remember the original state of the tomb. Thus you can't really mod it to reset tombs either. But replacing the tomb lot with an unplayed copy of the same lot should work, while making the game think it's the same one . Wonder if there would be a way to automate that? Given the sheer number of those lots, seems like it would be a massive enterprise, though.
Test Subject
#46 Old 28th Mar 2010 at 6:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Muga

THANK YOU!!! I tried it and it works!
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#47 Old 30th Mar 2010 at 10:38 AM
Do NOT do that. Doing that can severely corrupt your game, as data that is pointed to from the other save files becomes disconnected between the "backup" version and the current version, if sims have died, been generated, or moved about in the intervening time, resulting in the RED BOX OF DEATH.

Test Subject
#48 Old 3rd May 2010 at 3:04 PM
In save folders there are 2 kinds of files related to a location
e.g.
China_0x0859db4c.nhd
China_0x0859db4cExportDB.package

I've been looking for ways to reset tombs without manually rearranging everything again. I can open the .nhd files with a save editor from this site. However I can only see information on households, sims, relationships, etc. I didn't see any variables there related to the lots and contained objects.

So am I making a good assumption that information about lots and objects is stored in the .package files instead? So if I delete the .package wouldn't that reset the tombs while keeping the household/sim related info intact?
Test Subject
#49 Old 9th May 2010 at 3:40 AM
It tends to get more annoying when the Eyes of Horus and the pangu's Axe do not reset themselves and will not spawn more.Oddly,I never successfully debug these 2 items since they always disappear when I get back to Live Mode
Banned
#50 Old 30th May 2010 at 5:49 PM
It's been six months since WA came out, and I have seen precious few tombs to either supplement or replace the existing ones. Most of the exising tombs have lots of empty space to build in, or additional levels could be built. Plus there are some tombs which really are incomplete. It's like EA released the game without really finishing it.

Now the catch about tomb making is that it is not something you do for yourself, but for others. After all, you know where all the goodies are if you designed the tomb.

I sort of view a lot of the in game tombs as examples of the types of things that can be done.

Instead, we keep on getting more houses no one really wants, or new worlds no one will evey play in.
Page 2 of 3