Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 5 (Who?), Viewed: 4445 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 11:35 AM
Default Unlocked Genres?
I'm not sure where exactly to post this because its not a request, nor is it a WCIF, it's really just a random question:

I love the novel writing feature in the Sims 3, but I was curious if anyone knows if you're able to write in some of the genres you can buy? For example, since WA came out, they added a historical genre and I think the satire genre. My Sim is maxed in the writing skill and I just thought it would be cool if there was a way to write a fantasy novel, or a historical novel, or even a satire novel. But none of those seem to be options.

I apologize if you have to move this thread, I really did try to figure out where to put it, but I wasn't sure. I'm really just looking for feedback, maybe if someone knows a way to unlock them or if it's just not possible. I appreciate any answers

Thanks!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 11:52 AM
Actually, historical and satire were already in the base game. You just had to unlock them. Satire's unlocked by writing 3 humour novels and historical's unlocked when you reach skill level 6. I don't think WA added any new genres, but I could be wrong.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 1:06 PM
WA didn't add any new genres, only new locale books. There's a summary of the requirements for particular genres on this page:

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Writing

If you ask me, the implementation of the novel genres is absolutely ridiculous (and of course, it's not alone). How is vaudeville a literary genre? Why are there redundant genres (trashy/romance and life story/autobiography)? Why can't my Sim write a fantasy novel without churning out bad sci-fi novels first? Did Tolkien have to go through a pulp sci-fi phase? I could go on and on.

You have to be an Elder to write Historical novels; that's hard-coded. Fortunately a lot of the other dumb pre-requisites can be fixed with an XML mod.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 9:44 PM
Ok, thanks! See, I like to write but what usually happens is I write the same genre cause I'm not interested in the other ones they let you start out with. I guess I didn't realize that you had to unlock them by writing with the other ones. Makes sense though, thanks a lot! I suppose I could have looked it up I didn't even think too because I thought you would need a mod or something to be able to.
Eminence Grise
staff: moderator
#5 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 3:02 AM
What bothers me most of all about the genres is that without any writing skill at all... a sim can write something called a "non-fiction novel". That's a contradiction in terms :p

Trashy and Romance aren't the same thing, though. There are plenty of trashy novels that aren't romance novels, and vice-versa.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 3:19 AM
I would have thought the same, but I think trashy is more of a subject matter than an actual genre. Why not just have fiction, non-fiction etc. with a 'trashy' title?

Plus, the only pre-existing Trashy book in the whole game is called "A Magnetic Attraction" and has the Romance cover; the preset titles are just a mixture of Romance and SciFi titles (and they're not much more classy...)

What's really missing is a horror genre. The evil, morbid and demented should have their own specialty!

Section jump