Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 18 (Who?), Viewed: 1897 times.
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Dec 2009 at 4:28 PM
Default What should need updating?
Hi, I'm looking to update my PC. Its running a smidge slow, plus I would like something to keep me updated without spending MAGABUKXX on A Graphics Card which won't actually do anything for the Sims! [LOL]
Games Range is Sims 2, and 3, SPORE, That Stuff. However, I also would like something which can handle more Harder Programs like Photoshop and I might dive into other aspects of gaming in the future. I'd like something which works for what I have now, and makes them look great, but also won't DIE if I install something which comes along and takes my fancy!

--------------------
My Current PC:
--------------------

Operating System: Vista Home Premium
System Type: 64-bit Operating System
Processor: AMD athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 5600+ (2 CPUs) ~2.8 GHz
RAM: 4094MB // 4GB
Graphics Card: GeForce 8600 GT
Hard Drive: 149GB [Used 114 GB]

--------------------

First on the Update list is my Hard Drive, I know that for sure! I'm thinking of getting an external one, so I'd love for some info on that subject too.

All in all;

SHOWER ME WITH YOUR COMPUTER SKILLZ!
:D

Thanks! ^_^

BodyShopped /// ShoofleedSims
♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Advertisement
shiny!
staff: retired moderator
#2 Old 13th Dec 2009 at 4:30 PM
What motherboard do you have? For Sims 3, the best upgrade for you would actually be the CPU.. assuming it will support the new AM3s. Same for Photoshop. Upgrading the CPU would give you the best performance boost. Your GPU should be fine for all things you've noted. Going from that 5600+ to a Phenom 925 for about $140 would be a HUGE boost to both TS3 and Photoshop.

Yes, HDD needs to be upgraded soon How big do you want? I might replace what you have in there instead of adding an external. Depends on current speed.. that could be a Velociraptor.. or a really old 16MB cache thing.

What is your budget for all this?
Theorist
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Dec 2009 at 4:40 PM
Whao, Whao, Speak English to me, Callistra! xD
Also, Stuff in Pounds [] would help :D

Call me a N00b, but I just checked and I can't find leMotherboard info, so if your wanting some hardcore extra info show me how to find it! [LOL]

Budget is... well as small as possible

♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
shiny!
#4 Old 13th Dec 2009 at 4:48 PM
Your biggest limitation right now is you CPU (processor). If you can't upgrade that then I would just upgrade your hard drive and use your computer as long as possible until you can afford to upgrade the CPU. If your motherboard will support the new CPU then it will cost you this much: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/177044 If your motherboard won't support then you're looking at a new motherboard at least (another hundred pounds about) or possibly a new computer depending on if your case will support the new motherboard. Make more sense at all? :p

What hard drive do you have now? If you don't know you can use this program to find out: http://www.hdtune.com/ The exact model will display at the top.

If you don't know the manufacturer and model of your computer then dxdiag should tell you: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...lp:System_Specs If not we can try something else.
Theorist
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Dec 2009 at 5:00 PM Last edited by Petchy : 13th Dec 2009 at 5:29 PM.
Ok, according to the program its a..: Hitachi HDS721616PLA (160GB)

When you say "Cost you this much" do you mean all-in-all or for that part? If its the first option, I'll. love. you. for. a. long. time.

I couldn't find out the Manufacturer/Model before [I totally used the FAQ like a good guy! LOL] because it was custom built. In fact, it says "To Be Filled" :D

Thanks for helping me, by the way, This is really useful

~+~

EDIT: I forgot to add, because its not related as much to this but its better than adding a new thread.
My Monitor is having some trouble, and its acting all weird. Its been happening for awhile now, and I don't really know what has happened to it.
It looks like an old Analogue TV which is displaying stuff a little oddly, With the Bars rising up, etc. Also, it sometimes has little "Scratchy" effects which look like swirls. Kinda makes it look "flashy" and "shivering". Impossible to see on White, best seen on Grey. Some images are "tampered" with more than others. I think the entire screen is darker, and the "strips" of lighter tones are actually the correct colours. Its odd.
Also, "Auto reset" on my monitor does nothing.. as I have tried..... Many times.
Nothing seems to be wrong at the back, so I am CLUELESS!

♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
shiny!
#6 Old 13th Dec 2009 at 5:44 PM
The ebuyer link is a link to the exact part you would order and replace. That is ALL it will cost, if your motherboard supports the CPU. 108.71 including VAT and free delivery is the cost of the part through ebuyer. If you open up your computer then the manufacturer and model will be written directly on the motherboard. Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, Intel ASRock, ECS, Biostar, DFI, Foxconn, XFX .. most likely will be one of those plus the model.

That Hitachi is an older drive so I would replace instead of just adding an external. It would still make a nice drive to keep a second backup of your special data on. How big are you wanting? Here is a good TB drive: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173804 Here is a nice 500GB drive: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124228

Actually, it sounds like maybe you're having a problem with your graphics card, not the monitor.. do you have another monitor you can plug your computer into to check? There's no way to know for sure what the problem is unless you test by replacing one of the two parts (graphics card or monitor) and seeing if it changes anything.
Theorist
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Dec 2009 at 5:58 PM
1: How will I know if my MB supports the CPU? I really am clueless when it comes to this stuff. Me = Good at IT, Not good at Computing! [LOL]

2: They come that cheap?! Wicked.. I'd probably get the TB then, because its ALWAYS better to have more memory than you physically need. Oh, and I'm going to start storing Compositions and songs, so I'll need the extra space!
I presume if I got a new drive, I would have to remove the old one and replace it, therefore loosing all my data.. right?

3: Ahh! No, I don't have a spare Monitor on-hand. And I'm not really comfortable about taking stuff apart in my Computer [The Graphics Card] as I love it too much. Soppy, I know, but I have had many occasions when my little fiddling caused big problems. I /really/ hope its not the Graphics Card... because then that would mean that THAT had to be replaced.. urgh.

The seemingly small problem/update is turning out bigger and bigger..

♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
shiny!
#8 Old 13th Dec 2009 at 6:15 PM
1: If you let me know what motherboard you have then I will tell you.

2: That particular TB is faster too. I like that Samsung drive a lot. Good choice

3: Yeah.. it's a good idea to narrow it down now and not wait until something blows. It could be the graphics card is struggling but it could be CAUSED by something else.. like the power supply. If that blows it could take the entire computer with it. If it's just the graphics card it can destroy the graphics card slot and require a whole new motherboard.. best not to just wait and see.

My suggestion is to ask a friend or family member to borrow their monitor. If this is not an option then go down to your local computer store with a really good return policy and pick one up for testing. Then once you know you can always take it back.

In the meantime, while you are inside your computer seeing what motherboard you have, I suggest cleaning it up. Most of this guide doesn't apply to you but part of it talks about how to safely clean your computer: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...nboard_Graphics It is REALLY important to keep your computer dust free. Even a small, practically invisible, layer of dust can raise temps several degrees. If you can see fluff, you know you have a big problem. I also suggest not putting anything in the pci slots directly above and directly below your graphics card. You may also want to leave the slot cover directly below the graphic card totally off so it can get some more air. After you do that, we can do some testing.. but I don't want to start stressing it until you at least make sure it's getting the best airflow you can give it.
Theorist
Original Poster
#9 Old 13th Dec 2009 at 9:11 PM
Ok, I'm using the Downstairs Monitor and everything looks SO CLEAN! However, Its a nuisance to type as I have to really put my touch tying skills to use [LOL]

Ok, So I think I've limited the problem to the monitor then, As everything looks fine. However, I'm going to double check in a bit to see if anything happens (IE: if the oddness returns) when I go back to the proper one.

Back to the questions:
1: Erm... do I *have* to go inside my Computer to find out what Motherboard I have? *Hunts down and sees if there is any info I can find*

And yes, I know the importance of cleaning the inside of my computer! I did it recently with some Condensed air I bought :D

EDIT: Back on the Old Monitor and yes, that is where the problem lies.
Great, More Memory, new Monitor! xD OHTHEFUN

♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
shiny!
#10 Old 13th Dec 2009 at 9:47 PM
Well, at least you know you're not going to hurt anything by continuing to use the computer.. though it would cost more to replace the monitor than the card.

All you have to do is open up the case and look at it. You won't have to touch anything. You're going to do more than that when you replace the hard drive. If you don't know what you have and dxdiag isn't tell you then other similar programs probably aren't going to tell you either. You can try the Everest method in the same guide as the dxdiag and you can try this: http://modthesims.info/showpost.php...312&postcount=2 But I wouldn't hold my breath.
Theorist
Original Poster
#11 Old 13th Dec 2009 at 9:57 PM
Aha! I think this is it!
asrock alive NF6G 64 bit

Wow.. This piece of paper was from the 9th of January 2008. Scary, eh? :D

Oh I don't mind so much about having to get a new monitor. I might be able to get a bigger one, anyway.

♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
shiny!
#12 Old 13th Dec 2009 at 10:16 PM
Well there are actually three boards that could be.. ALiveNF6G-DVI, ALiveNF6G-VSTA or ALiveNF6G-GLAN..

GLAN supports the CPU, though you will prob have to do a BIOS update. P1.70 is the one that brought about support.

The CPU is not supported on DVI or VSTA. You're really going to have to crack that case open :p
Theorist
Original Poster
#13 Old 14th Dec 2009 at 4:53 PM
D:

Fine, I'll do it. However, I want to know EXACTLY what I need to look for, do, and warnings of what NOT to do xD

♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
shiny!
#14 Old 14th Dec 2009 at 11:19 PM
If you feel this uncomfortable opening up the case them maybe you should take it into a professional to work on. I don't want you to think I'm trying to force you to do something you feel uncomfortable with so nvm then. I'm not going to fight with you on it.. if you don't feel comfortable with doing it, then by all means don't. However, I think it needs to be said that if you have this much apprehension with opening the case then there's no way you're going to be able to install the hard drive and the CPU on your own, so upgrading is kind of a moot point. My suggestion at this point is to take it to a professional shop so that they can tell you if things can be upgraded and do the upgrades for you.
Theorist
Original Poster
#15 Old 14th Dec 2009 at 11:52 PM
It's not that I am really not wanting to do it (I've opened my PC up a few times before) I just like leaving it as a last option, that is all!! I like to know exactly what Parts are going into my PC, and If I need to find out what my motherboard is then I'll just have to do it myself - I'm not going to pay for some guy to do it for me (LOL)
I'm just.. Well.. Hesitant. I have a habit of screwing things up.

Tell me what to look for, and tell me what to do. You've been exellent help so far with answers and links (and Explaining [LOL])

For the installing, I'll buy them (if I can) and have them done by a guy who sorts out the "Death machine" downstairs. ^_^

♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
shiny!
#16 Old 15th Dec 2009 at 1:11 AM
Well.. it's up to you. All you have to do is open up the case and look at the motherboard. It should be printed right on the motherboard. If you follow this link you can see pictures of all three boards and know where the writing will be located: http://www.asrock.com/mb/index.asp?s=Search&k=ALiveNF6G Looks like it is written between the PCI-E and PCI slots.
Theorist
Original Poster
#17 Old 28th Dec 2009 at 9:21 PM Last edited by Petchy : 28th Dec 2009 at 9:50 PM.
(Sorry I have been absent, Not really had a chance to open it up until today)

It's the VSTA one. Hopefully that can answer my problems in both of the threads?

Also - Just after I opened the case, I saw the Box. *Epic Face palm for Petchy* This room is really beginning to get disorganized!
Anyhoo, I'm off to plug everything back in!
(I also need more Compressed Air.. I ran out when I was cleaning it :/ *Grumbles*)

♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
shiny!
#18 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 1:22 AM
Sorry, that board won't support the new CPUs.

If it was that dusty then cleaning it might help it run better :p
Theorist
Original Poster
#19 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 11:07 AM
*Groans*

Back to square one, I guess.
However, I do know about the TB drive, which I guess is one half of it

I got pretty much everything cleaned, I just am going to have to redo it sooner than I expected, thats all.

♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/

Section jump