Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mother Function
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Dec 2009 at 1:25 AM
Default Expand the Beauty Marks category.
Hey guys,

I've been working on a set of layerable moles and all has gone well until I get them in CAS.

The game recognizes my new moles...but...it doesn't have room to display them all. Like it only shows the first row of 5, and the other row is beneath them (I assume?). There's a scroll bar, but it doesn't work...

So...I take it that it's coded somewhere to only allow 5 beauty marks in CAS? If so...does anyone know of a way to enable more beauty mark slots?

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 23rd Dec 2009 at 2:07 AM
There may be a quick fix. In the UI.package file, there should be a .LAYO XML file called CASMoles. In the layout file, you should find a mess. Somewhere in that mess, you should find an object class called 'ScrollWindow', listed in there as children you should find two objects with the class 'ItemGrid'. These 'ItemGrid's should belong to the groups for Freckles and BeautyMarks/Moles, just find the string of readable info listed in the 'Caption' entries above to find the right one.

Below the 'ItemGrid' listing, you need to the 'Area' listing. On that line there should be Value="x1,1y,x2,y2" x1 and y1 are the starting coordinates (the upper, left corner) and x2 y2 are the terminus coordinates (lower right corner) of the drawn rectangle. The values listed are relative to the area, so each child listing is given a new origin coord. My suggestion would be to just double or triple the y2 value, that should expand the area so more objects can be listed.
Mother Function
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Dec 2009 at 3:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rez Delnava
There may be a quick fix. In the UI.package file, there should be a .LAYO XML file called CASMoles. In the layout file, you should find a mess. Somewhere in that mess, you should find an object class called 'ScrollWindow', listed in there as children you should find two objects with the class 'ItemGrid'. These 'ItemGrid's should belong to the groups for Freckles and BeautyMarks/Moles, just find the string of readable info listed in the 'Caption' entries above to find the right one.

Below the 'ItemGrid' listing, you need to the 'Area' listing. On that line there should be Value="x1,1y,x2,y2" x1 and y1 are the starting coordinates (the upper, left corner) and x2 y2 are the terminus coordinates (lower right corner) of the drawn rectangle. The values listed are relative to the area, so each child listing is given a new origin coord. My suggestion would be to just double or triple the y2 value, that should expand the area so more objects can be listed.

Oh wow, quick answer! I'll go try that out :D

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 23rd Dec 2009 at 4:59 AM Last edited by Rez Delnava : 23rd Dec 2009 at 5:35 AM.
Ok, on checking the file (before, I was just going off the top of my head from my attempt at adding a new slider region--forgive me for any mis-information), theres some more that needs to be fixed in the LAYO file.

There are also a lines for 'VisibleCols' and 'VisibleRows' that would need new values. The Freckles Sections lists 7 columns, while strangely the the Moles Section lists only 5 columns. I would estimate that 8 columns would be max, and any number of rows that would fit within an expanded area. The grid data lists each cell as 36x36u in area with grid padding of {2,2,4,4} meaning each tick box requires a 42x42u area, so expand the area value accordingly.

Whats strange though, is that the LAYO has tuned the scroll arrows to 'False' and yet clearly in your screenshot, there is a scroll arrow. I suspect that if you enabled more rows than the area value allots, and then retuned the scroll to true, that you could have as many rows with a scroll-bar.

I will go check the core script to see what the hard-coded limit on moles/freckles is, and if its too low of a number, I will plan a revision of it into my CAS-mod.

EDIT: I checked the core briefly, and it doesn't seem like there is a limit for how many moles/freckles there can be hard-coded. The only limit indicator I found was a lower limit.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 24th Dec 2009 at 8:36 PM
Default TESTERS WANTED: CASMoles UI Mod
As discussed above, it is possible to expand the CASMoles UI XML to allow more than the base limit on Freckles (7 items), Moles (5 items), and Weathering fir elders (5 items). But modding the UI files take a lot of trial and error, and not everyone has time to do it.

So here for testing is my CASMoles UI mod. I expanded the allowed number of tick-box columns to 7 and the number of allowed rows to 3; making 21 items for each section for overlaying on your sims faces.

In the screenshot, you can see that I have 18 Moles appearing in CAS mode. A tick box will only appear if you have content loaded, so at first you will only see a few tick-boxes, some blank space, then the next category, etc. until you add more freckles/moles/beauty markes/liver spots/weathereing.

Please leave details if any issues are found.

Installation: Its a package file, so place in your mods/packages directory. Make sure you have framework properly installed.

Use: If installed correctly, the mod is appears automagically when you enter CAS mode-> Looks -> Topical Details.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  CASMoles.zip (3.3 KB, 1256 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
#6 Old 25th Dec 2009 at 8:44 AM
Could this same concept be used to add extra slots to the skintone color selection area?
Scholar
#7 Old 25th Dec 2009 at 10:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jh3nry
Could this same concept be used to add extra slots to the skintone color selection area?

No, because skintones aren't CASParts and therefore most likely need a core mod change.

Of course you could expand the selection area, but you can't really add new colors.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 25th Dec 2009 at 10:40 AM Last edited by Rez Delnava : 25th Dec 2009 at 11:19 AM.
From just the UI perspective, yes it could be expanded to allow more skintones. But, from the core modding perspective... its an 'eh?... maybe in the future'. The UI portion is fairly straight-forward, just change the layout to make room for more, but on the core side we would need to figure out how the game populates the skintone grid. From comparing the Moles to the skintone portions of the core, populating the moles is easy--it uses the CASP files, while the skintone I'm not clear on how it does it. So far, I've found references to TONE files (type: 0354796A), and within those tone files is one reference to the skintone gradient file, followed by references for every body and face-skin overlay.

What needs to happen before non-default replacement skins can be made, is more research on the TONE files (if anyone is withholding info on those, please update the wiki entry on them ) and on how the core populates skintones.

EDIT: A brief test reveals that after doing a quick UI expansion, duplicating a TONE file, giving it a new instance, and hex editing the TONE file produces: A very merry Christmas! (see Screenshot). I guess I'm giving everyone a tutorial for X-mas
Screenshots
Scholar
#9 Old 25th Dec 2009 at 1:45 PM
EDIT: A brief test reveals that after doing a quick UI expansion, duplicating a TONE file, giving it a new instance, and hex editing the TONE file produces: A very merry Christmas! (see Screenshot). I guess I'm giving everyone a tutorial for X-mas

Very nice. :lovestruc
Test Subject
#10 Old 25th Dec 2009 at 6:29 PM
I wish I knew how to code. I would love a white to black slider that didn't over ride any EA sliders
Test Subject
#11 Old 30th Dec 2009 at 8:28 AM

Awesome!
Test Subject
#12 Old 23rd Apr 2012 at 5:41 PM
i can´t download the casmoles file
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#13 Old 23rd Apr 2012 at 7:16 PM
The file works fine - it must be something on your end.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.