Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#101 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 3:51 PM
I made a colorless skin, and here it is in-game along with the golden stripey one and HP's default replacement. Rez, your new tone picker layout is excellent. I'm playing in a window at 1024x768, and it works very nicely.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#102 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 7:50 PM
Just tested out skininator and OMG that was too easy! Thats some great work you've done there and fast too. I seriously doubt it would need a tut now!
Are you going to add skin tone and ramp files with it? It would eliminate rhe need for S3PE since I needed to use it to pull the files.

Disclaimer: These are the personally, personal opinions of me, myself and I. Yours may vary.
Terms & conditions do not apply
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#103 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 12:20 AM Last edited by CmarNYC : 31st Jan 2010 at 12:31 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by missy harries
Just tested out skininator and OMG that was too easy! Thats some great work you've done there and fast too. I seriously doubt it would need a tut now!
Are you going to add skin tone and ramp files with it? It would eliminate rhe need for S3PE since I needed to use it to pull the files.

Packaging the skins and ramps would certainly be helpful, and Rez has thoughtfully provided them. It may be too big to put in the download section but I can ask the mods and just provide a link if necessary.

*Edit: I really liked your tutorial - all still needed except for the part about hex editing.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#104 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 3:02 AM Last edited by CmarNYC : 8th Feb 2010 at 2:02 PM.
Default Updated Skininator - testers needed!
Sorry about the double post but I'm putting up a new version of Skininator. Saving and loading of projects has been added, the help screen is done (turned out to be pretty simple!) and I added the ability to pick any one of the game tone ramps (except mannequin) if you're not importing your own. If everything works this is probably close to being ready for downloads submission.

Please report anything not working!

** 12/31 12:25 EDT - uploaded new version to fix png thumbnail filename not being saved and restored in projects.

*** 2/8: Removed download due to bug causing a greenish glow effect in some skins. Get the updated version here: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=389488
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#105 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 7:33 AM Last edited by Rez Delnava : 31st Jan 2010 at 7:51 AM.
I made some leopard print body skins for my first trial with Skininator. So far so good, only had a minor hiccup while using the app for the first time; it was hanging when I loaded one skin, then hit the button to load the next--but that was my fault, the skin I first loaded was still open in Photoshop. It fixed when I closed Photoshop.

Edit:
Alright, that worked! I need to make some adjustments, but skininator worked like a charm. My text is upside-down in the slider and I need some work on the texture around the shoulders but, overall, I consider it a good first try at a body texture.
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#106 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 8:54 AM
I'll revise the tut for use with skininator but I have to ask what is SkinSubSRamp?
I am in the process of moving though so it may take a while again but I'll try to get it done as soon as I can.
I just have to say 'Thank You guy's'. You two will have made a lot of happy people.

Disclaimer: These are the personally, personal opinions of me, myself and I. Yours may vary.
Scholar
#107 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 9:15 AM Last edited by 9b8ll : 31st Jan 2010 at 10:11 AM.
I just like to say I tried it and you two just made the game alive again!!! I didn't see any problems with it so far, so far so good this is going to make a hell of a lot of people happy! this is very innovative like, breaking the law of physics!

I hate to get off topic but are you going to make it apply to non-default eyes ,etc too, buy using the same method like the skinator too? just being curious.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#108 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 9:43 AM
I'll revise the tut for use with skininator but I have to ask what is SkinSubSRamp?
I am in the process of moving though so it may take a while again but I'll try to get it done as soon as I can.
I just have to say 'Thank You guy's'. You two will have made a lot of happy people.
All I can do is speculate on what SkinSubSRamp does right now, since I haven't tested it. I think it controls the specular color, especially in the case of ghost sims. As you probably saw, it's divided into 6 differents colors, which vaguely corresponds to the colors of ghosts.

I unfortunately don't have any ghosts made at the moment; so I will have to DL treeag's SimTransformer and make some before I can test anything.
Test Subject
#109 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 4:53 PM
WOW Excellent progress on that!!! I can't believe that all this was able to be done so fast... Just blown away.

Quote:
I hate to get off topic but are you going to make it apply to non-default eyes ,etc too, buy using the same method like the skinator too? just being curious.

That is really On topic imo - adding this would be incredibly useful although I don't know how often someone really looks at sim eyes but I certainly have had the desire to create new maps.

Bah I can't see the post from Rez anymore in order to quote it, but said something about "You know what other mods conflict with it" referring to the new UI. I'm sorry I really am a newb at the game lol and I only have a few mods - and I don't know which ones conflict. Is this something that I am just not understanding? lol I feel foolish.

Well anyway in the course of just a few days Rez and Cmar - you guys have made astonishing progress. You've made it possible for people like me (texture artists) to just do what we do and not have to blow our brains up trying to do what you obviously do so well. Honestly - hats off.

and Missy - that tutorial was SORELY needed. It is very much appreciated from my newbish perspective. My only suggestion would be, if you do find yourself falling off and not involved with the community anymore, to pass it on to someone else - so it too does not become one of those atiquated old fossils not receiving needed updates.

as for me, I decided my first set would simply be 5 adult female bodies. Next will be 5 males. Thanks to a few very helpful people I managed to get the .obj bodies I needed in order to start making proper textures. Might start a new thread to post up on the progress. So far they are looking quite good and thanks to this utility it will be VERY easy for me to just preview them in game.

Huge thanks again to all who worked on these utilities. I'm very greatful!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#110 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 5:10 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 31st Jan 2010 at 5:23 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by 9b8ll

I don't know what links the eyes for each sim, but it might be possible depending on the mechanism. I imagine it's not the same as the skins. People seem to be happy using default replacements and contacts, though.

Velocity: So glad to be able to help out the creative people! Honestly, hex editing up to 74 TGI links would be enough to make my head explode, too.

As for what mods conflict - so far only the ones that increase the slider limits to make the changes more extreme. Since Rez's hack is not a core mod, I suspect those slider mods are changing the same CAS layout file that his hack changes. If so, it would be simple enough to merge the two when someone gets around to it.

** Edit: I replaced the Skininator upload a few posts up, for a minor bugfix in the project save.

btw, Rez, I love the leopard skin!
Instructor
#111 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 8:13 PM
AAAAHHHH!!!!! Cmar I am amazed!! Off to do some more tests right now!!!

(())Pass the ribbon around if you know someone that has
//\\survived, died, or is living with cancer.
Forum Resident
#112 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 9:14 PM
I almost think I can do this, one quick question though, where can I find the "specular" files? I think I have everything else I need.
Instructor
#113 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 9:20 PM Last edited by Fawkes : 31st Jan 2010 at 10:19 PM.
I might be able to answer this. As you might know jmtmom, speculars are only the shine applied overall. Therefore, unless you want a new uber-shiny skintone, speculars arent really required, if i understand right.
EDIT: Thanks cmar! It worked great on my trial run!

EDIT 2: Thanks to you everyone who contributed, because I have finished my 12 New Skin Colour Sliders!! Oh, Im so happy. They'll be uplaoded at MTS In no time!!!

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#114 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 10:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jmtmom
I almost think I can do this, one quick question though, where can I find the "specular" files? I think I have everything else I need.
I included the specular files in the pack linked on page 3, but its sufficiently buried to warrant me re-linking here: Direct Downlod Link

Some updates about previous info:
I did some testing with the SkinSubSRamp last night, and can say it has nothing to do with ghosts. Turning it completely black did nothing to the ghosts color or luminosity. It did however turn the bandages on my mummies black and make all my other skintones look dark.

The mannequin tone is used on mummies. Taking a mummy into cas showed that its tone-pick circle was completely white, yet the tone still didn't appear in the pick box.
Forum Resident
#115 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 10:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by velocity3d
and Missy - that tutorial was SORELY needed. It is very much appreciated from my newbish perspective. My only suggestion would be, if you do find yourself falling off and not involved with the community anymore, to pass it on to someone else - so it too does not become one of those atiquated old fossils not receiving needed updates.

Ok so I'm starting to revise now so any suggestions on improvements are very welcome.
Don't worry velocity I'm still working on it I just won't have as much time as I'd like this week :P

Banned
#116 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 10:47 PM
Holy cow, an instant extra-skin-color tool? Damn @_@

Its probably posted way earlier on, but where do you get the default skins to change them?
Forum Resident
#117 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 11:17 PM Last edited by jmtmom : 31st Jan 2010 at 11:28 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Rez Delnava
I included the specular files in the pack linked on page 3, but its sufficiently buried to warrant me re-linking here: Direct Downlod Link

Sorry to be so very dense, but is it the file that contains the words "flatWhite?"

I've looked at all the files and it's the only one I think it could be. I think I may be able to manage this using cmar's tool, but there are crater sized gaps in my understanding.

If I do nothing at all, will the tool apply the default specular?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#118 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 11:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jmtmom
Sorry to be so very dense, but is it the file that contains the words "flatWhite?"

I've looked at all the files and it's the only one I think it could be. I think I may be able to manage this using cmar's tool, but there are crater sized gaps in my understanding.

The speculars are in among the other skin files in Rez's set, in the 'Skins' folder. Look for files with an "_s_" after the age-gender/bodypart tag. The ones with s are specular, the 'n' means normal, the 'o' means overlay.
Forum Resident
#119 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 12:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
The speculars are in among the other skin files in Rez's set, in the 'Skins' folder. Look for files with an "_s_" after the age-gender/bodypart tag. The ones with s are specular, the 'n' means normal, the 'o' means overlay.

Now I see! I told you I was pretty dense! Thanks so much.
Test Subject
#120 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 12:46 AM
Quote:
Its probably posted way earlier on, but where do you get the default skins to change them?

I actually don't know if that was in this thread or not but a link to them is in this thread right in the first post:

Thread with link to skins

Anyway as for me I can't figure out what's working and whats not.

How many tone files are suppose to be showing by default in Rez new UI? I had 6. So then I assume if I add a new one using Cmars utility then there should be 7?

There wasn't. I don't know what I did wrong - I picked to use one of the games ramp files since I don't know how to make them for the sims yet, but I did see something about it in Missys tutorial so I am going to look further into that.

Then it just says to save. But doesn't say to save where - I know that probably sounds really dumb, but I just don't know - is it suppose to go in the mods/packages folder or is it suppose to go in the games packages folder.

Anyway I did get my skin into the game, but I think it was just a default over-ride. I hope someone adds a step by step for using this LOL because I just don't know, I read somewhere someone saying S3PE was still needed, and I'm not sure in what regard. Tomorrow I will re-read everything again and start over, maybe I'll get different results + plus I need to learn that ramp making business

Quote:
Don't worry velocity I'm still working on it I just won't have as much time as I'd like this week :P

Ooooh no - I didn't mean 'now' - you have been working so much at it I hope you didn't think I meant that. I just meant in the future if you lose interest in the game.
Forum Resident
#121 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 1:55 AM
Well I tried my first, I made a few mistakes (assigned the wrong textures) but the process works! I think after a few tries, I'll actually get it.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#122 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 1:56 AM Last edited by CmarNYC : 1st Feb 2010 at 3:22 AM.
Here's a quickie step-by-step. Run Skininator and select your modified files. (I think you got that far!) You can either use a game color ramp or make your own. Save the package file anywhere you want, but in order to see it in your game it has to go in your mods\packages folder just like any other mod. Then you should see a seventh color in Rez's CAS tone picker expansion.

Did you package all your modified skins using S3PE or whatever with the original TGI identifiers? Because that's the only way you would have gotten a default replacement. Remember, if you used a game tone ramp, the color in the tone picker will be exactly the same as one of the game colors and it can be hard to tell what you're looking at.

Edit for jmtmom: Yes, if you don't do anything with the speculars, the game ones will be used. That's true for everything - any file you don't import into Skininator will revert to the game default.
Forum Resident
#123 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 1:59 PM
Does skininator directly produce and edit TONE files?

Instructor
#124 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 4:37 PM Last edited by Fawkes : 1st Feb 2010 at 4:55 PM.
Okay ! My new skin colours are up here!!! SO EXCITED.

^^ Hate to advertise here but I had to. I want to thank you guys soooooo much For all you hard work that got put into this discovery!! This is gonna be soo useful once people find out more about it. like celebrity skins that only use the face of the celebrity, but draw from your defualt bodie textures! Ahh! Congrats!

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#125 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 4:54 PM
Does skininator directly produce and edit TONE files?

Yes, when you hit the 'Make Package' button it creates a new TONE file with links to whichever skins and/or tone ramps you've selected, and links back to the game default files for any you've left blank.

Quote: Originally posted by Fawkes
Okay ! My new skin colours are up here!!! SO EXCITED.

^^ Hate to advertise here but I had to. I want to thank you guys soooooo much For all you hard work that got put into this discovery!! This is gonna be soo useful once people find out more about it. Congrats!

I just saw! The mods approved it in record time - congrats to you too!
Page 5 of 10