I got my copy of the Sims 3 as soon as it came out and it had worked perfectly until the end of November.
I started to download mods but have follwed the FAQs and removed all the mods from the game, deleted cache files and everything else the FAQs told me to do and the game still isnt working!
The game launcher comes up and when i click the play button, a black screen comes up and when i ctrl-alt-del the program, it says NOT RESPONDING!
If not, do that first. If you have, then please try reinstalling like this:
1) Go to My Documents and cut/paste your user files from C:\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\ to your Desktop. (This is where your saved game data is so if you don't want to lose it make a backup first)
Also, back up your cc from 'C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods'
2) Uninstall the base game (and expansion if you have it) from Add/Remove Programs. Then restart your computer.
3) Manually delete the entire 'The Sims 3' folder from 'C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3' (you should have backed up your cc in step 1) (and 'The Sims 3 World Adventure' folder from 'C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 World Adventures' if you have the expansion)
4) Download and install this program: http://www.ccleaner.com/ Use the registry cleaner. When it prompts you make a backup of the files you are removing
5) Restart your computer, then try to reinstall just the base game try to play the game. Don't patch it the first time. See if it works. If it works then you can experiment with patches and if you have the expansion
6) If it still works, you can try adding back in your user files
Let us know if it works with the unpatched base game, patched base game, unpatched WA, and finally patched WA.
I tried the instructions you gave me closely step by step and the problem is still the same! Thanks though
full system specs are:
HP Pavilion dv5-1004ax AMD RM-70 2GB 320 15.4 Premium
Processor, operating system and memory
* Operating system installed: Genuine
Windows Vista Home Premium
* Processor type: AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor RM-70, 2.0 GHz, Level 2 cache 1 MB, Up to 4000 MT/s system bus running at AC/DC mode 35 watt
* Standard memory: 2048 MB
* Memory type: DDR2
* Memory layout: (1 x 2048 MB)
* Maximum memory: 8 GB
* Internal hard disk drive: 320 GB
* Hard disk controller: SATA Hard Disk Drive
* Hard disk drive speed: 5400 rpm
* Optical drive type: LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVDRW with Double Layer Support
Can you redo that DxDiag again and edit your post? You missed out the most essential graphics card info and the driver version number.
Did you have the option to configure your laptop at purchase time or got the "ATI Radeon™ HD 3450 Graphics" video card?
That CPU is underspec'd anyway, for The Sims3.
The end of November was when you patched to 1.7? It crashed after that, too?
And if it has been crashing since installing WA (2.3) and patching base game to 1.8, then you might have to settle with base game at patch 1.4.
You never experienced any crashing on 1.4?