Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Has a vampire viking fetish
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jan 2010 at 6:54 AM
Default Adding a Thumbnail to Premade Package File
Ok this is possibly a stupid question, so sorry in advance just in case

Is it possible to add a cas thumbnail to someone elses package file? I was hoping I could add custom thumbnails to all the hairs I have because I have trouble remember who they belong to.

cheers
Advertisement
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#2 Old 8th Jan 2010 at 8:31 AM
Yes, you can do this using CTU. Just open up the package, go to the design and add the custom thumbnail in there.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Jan 2010 at 12:11 PM
Oh god. Thank you. This will make things SO much easier on my poor little brain :D
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 8th Jan 2010 at 12:17 PM
You will also have to then open your finished file in something like S3PE and fix one part of the TGI (that is, Type, Group, Instance) for the thumbnail to work. I wish I could recall off the top of my head what it is you need to fix - I think you need to change the group of the PNG (thumbnail) to 0x00 instead of 0x01 (or the other way around). If you look at my Whipped Cream lipstick, you can see how it's done. CTU has a bug that it sets that value incorrectly so the thumbnail will be included in your package, just won't show up in-game till it's fixed. If we bitch enough at Delphy, maybe he'll upload a fixed version of CTU that has that little bug corrected. :P

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Jan 2010 at 1:41 PM
Ah cheers! Yeah I know what you mean, I've been having to do it for my custom makeup.
The Costume Makeup is the only one i've found that assigns correctly... but I've only made things for a few categories.

Can this be done for Hair files? They are the main ones I need to sort.

Tomorrow I might spend a million years making custom thumbs for all the content I have that doesn't already have them. Oh joy.

*bitches at Delphy before running off*
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 8th Jan 2010 at 4:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Yes, you can do this using CTU. Just open up the package, go to the design and add the custom thumbnail in there.

Not sure if you have read all errors with thumbnails posted in this section but i cant recall anyone has suceeded doing this...
with new packages yes, not with existing ones.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 9th Jan 2010 at 2:03 AM Last edited by BasTyra : 9th Jan 2010 at 2:38 AM.
Edit: Scratch what I just said.

When you open hair files and edit them in CTU to include a thumbnail, the filesize is a fraction of the original. The hair comes up as short man-hair but the thumbnail works. I guess you can't do it with hair.

The ONLY way it works is if you keep the original hair in the game, then edit a duplicate with the thumbnail. But then you have two cas icons for every hair you edit.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#8 Old 9th Jan 2010 at 8:53 AM
Well, you could just add the thumbnail resource manually using S3PE.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
#9 Old 19th Apr 2011 at 10:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Well, you could just add the thumbnail resource manually using S3PE.

Unfortunately that doesn't work for some THUMs. I have been asking around the planet for information on how to do this with eyebrows. Jessica_2020 has succeeded, but I don't know if she's on here much anymore, 'cause I sent her a PM about it a little while ago and I'm still waiting to hear from her. Either that or she doesn't like me LOL!

Anyway, I have also posted over at the S3PE forum by the Jones's.

I'm also trying to get eyebrows as default replacements, but that's another issue for another post.

I'm going to send a PM to LadyFB to see if maybe she can help me, as her post looks positive here.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#10 Old 19th Apr 2011 at 1:31 PM
I've been able to successfully add thumbnails manually using s3pe. For all cases the Instance ID should be the same as the CASP.

For clothing, the Group ID is numbered 00000001, 00000002, etc. corresponding to the preset numbers.
For eyebrows, with a Group ID of 00000000.
For hair, with the same Group ID as the CASP - usually 00000000 but for hair from later expansion packs there's an expansion ID in the first byte of the group ID.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#11 Old 19th Apr 2011 at 8:03 PM
Another problem is that there are multiple types of THUM. Open a file of the same type (clothing, makeup, etc) which has a thumbnail, and copy the resource type from the THUM in that file.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#12 Old 19th Apr 2011 at 10:03 PM
I've also let CAS generate an image, extracted it from CASThumbnails, and doctored that to be my custom thumb.
Test Subject
#13 Old 24th Jan 2015 at 9:17 PM
I don't know if making a clone with S3OC would add any junk to the package, but there's an option to replace the thum as well as export the existing one(if one exists).

I'm very new to modding so this is the system I have going for me right now :f
Test Subject
#14 Old 24th Feb 2015 at 11:19 AM
This is extremely easy! All you need is S3PE, and the thumbnail you want.
  • Go into S3PE
  • Open "CasThumbnails"
  • Find the CC you want to change.
  • Choose the first thumbnail for the item, right click and export as file.
  • DON'T CHANGE THE NAME of the file.
  • Open it up in PS/gimp/whatever.
  • Change it. Save and replace.
  • Right click the file in S3PE again > Replace > Find your image.
  • Save.
  • Now go in and delete Casthumbnails, and fire up your game. It should be there.

love Siv