Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 7:02 AM
Default [Question] Blender 3D sims 3 meshing
Is there any possible way to use blender 3D to make custom objects for the sims 3... i cannot use milkshape and dont really want to learn (since buying it wouldn't be worth it). If there isn't... is there anyone working towards making this possible?
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 10:51 PM Last edited by orangemittens : 12th Jan 2010 at 11:05 PM.
Wes posted a link for you...don't know how far along this tool is though.

http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=355471

Why do you think buying Milkshape isn't worth it? The tool is an absolute workhorse and reasonably priced for what you get IMO...I love the thing.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 5:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
Wes posted a link for you...don't know how far along this tool is though.

http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=355471

Why do you think buying Milkshape isn't worth it? The tool is an absolute workhorse and reasonably priced for what you get IMO...I love the thing.

Yes, but i have spent years working with blender 3D. I dont really feel like spending another couple of years on milkshape.

Also the link is only for body meshes, i need a import and export for .s3asc (MODL files)
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#4 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 6:19 AM
As far as I know, no one has made that yet. Would be great though...

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Alchemist
#5 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 10:56 AM
The import/export for those files is currently only MS. But there's no reason you can't just use MS as your import/export tool, convert it to some other format, and then hand the object off to Blender where you do the greater part of the work on your new mesh. You wouldn't have to spend years learning the minimal steps to use Milkshape in this way...it would probably take you about 10 minutes since there are excellent tutorials out there that make this part easy.

Only you can decide whether it's worth it to you to spend 35 dollars in order to be able to make object meshes for this game without having to create your own special Blender import/export tool or wait for someone else to do it.

And that's the bottom line here...you'd not be paying for MS "just" to get MS. You'd be buying it to get access to a flexible object creation tool system that works well, has excellent support, and is offered for free by people who spent a lot of time, thought, and effort to bring this system to you at no financial benefit to themselves. You'd be buying it to save yourself the work of programming your own special tool for Blender when what you apparently would rather be doing is making meshes...that is, if you have the programming skills necessary for a task like that in the first place.

Alternatively you could check out whether the TSRW requires Milkshape still and if not use that. Them's the choices.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 1:53 PM Last edited by Dominic11112 : 13th Jan 2010 at 1:53 PM. Reason: typo
I tried converting the .s3asc file from milkshape to a .obj but because .obj doesn't support bones it lost the bones in the convertion. Then i cant add them, I try even keeping the original mesh and just changing around the verties. Nope. Maybe i will try some other formats also supported by blender... some that support all groups, bones and verticies.
Alchemist
#7 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 5:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dominic11112
i need a import and export for .s3asc (MODL files)

I have never seen that made. The author of the body mesh plugins has not been active for a while.

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Alchemist
#8 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 9:42 PM
Dominic, you should go have a look at the tutorials...this is really easy and since you already know how to mesh it's going to be even easier for you

Basically, decompile your object and import it into MS. Convert it to an obj and export that to Blender where you do your mesh work. When you're done there just import the original .s3asc back into MS. Import your new obj without removing the .s3asc. Replace the original's groups with the groups of your obj deleting the originals as you go. Go to the joints tab and click the button SelUnAssigned...you'll see your object light up with red dots. Then click the assign button. Now your object has the joints it needs.

Then overwrite the .3asc with your object and recompile it.

That's all there is to it...you can do it and you can do it without years of working with MS.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 1:35 AM Last edited by Dominic11112 : 14th Jan 2010 at 1:37 AM. Reason: adding some extra info
Oh my goodness! That really does solve everything... lol... i never thought of bringing back the old .s3asc, because it already has all the bones and groups i could just delete the original mesh in MS after i import the edited one.

Thankyou! My first item... hhhmmm... I think i will re-do my only creation from the sims 2... the coffin coffee table XD it really did suck but i will hopefully make it better.

Thanks! I might even make a tutorial for it... i am sure others would want to do this (as simple as it is).
Alchemist
#10 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 12:01 PM
Well...once you state what your actual meshing problem is you make it possible for someone to help you with it

Glad that worked out for you.
Alchemist
#11 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 11:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dominic11112
i could just delete the original mesh in MS after i import the edited one.

Absolutely. Recreating joint assignments is required (because .obj files lack that info), but that is pretty simple on most objects... non-animated ones generally have everything assigned to a root joint. Even animated ones, like the cribs, have just two joints.

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 1:12 AM
yeah thanks. But I still hope one day someone makes a .s3asc import and export for the sims 3.
Alchemist
#13 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 4:21 AM
The field is wide open Dominic...the field for creating that tool you want for Blender that is.

If this is what you want go on ahead and make it.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 3:58 PM
I know this an oldish thread, but I also know other threads have pointers to this one, so...

Please also see Blender Object (S3ASC) Import/Export Scripts