Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

MTS Movie Night #2 - posted on 10th Aug 2017 at 2:58 PM
Locked thread | Replies: 70 (Who?), Viewed: 40423 times. | Locked by: Numenor Reason: New tutorials: [url]http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=52499[/url] [url]http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=42014[/url]
Page 1 of 3
The ModFather
staff: retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 10:29 PM Last edited by numenor : 7th Feb 2005 at 11:51 AM.
*OUTDATED* (Was: Colour options for Cloned Objects)
****** IMPORTANT! ******
Since new specifications for "EP-Ready" packages were defined, and the new v.015 of SimPE was released this tutorial is to be considered OUTDATED. For enabling/restoring colour options in "EP-Ready" objects, please refer to the NEW TUTORIAL.

(Original post follows)
Tutorial (sort of...): Colour options for Cloned Objects

If you have cloned an object (in order to hack it) and you'd like to have colour options for it you basically have two alternative ways:
1) you can enable colour option for the hacked object, just like I've done with the CEP; in this way the users will be able to create recolour packages that will apply only to your hacked object (and not to the original object).
2) you can link your hacked object to the original one; in this way, every colour (original or user-made) available for the original object will be available for the hacked object, as well; ad the recolour packages created for either the hacked object or the original one will be available for both of them. Needless to say, this "link" method is way more preferable, because it reduces redundant recolours, thus avoiding unneeded slow-downs in game loading.

This tutorial explains how to link the cloned object to the original ones.
I'd assume that you are average-experienced users, and that you have familiarity with SimPE, since this procedure is quite "advanced".
I'm sure you already know it, but I'm telling you anyway: remember to commit and save as frequently as you can and remember to select again the file after every save (I always forget this!).

And now for the tough stuff...

Basically, you have to rebuild all the RCOL chain, in order to make the game fully understand that your hacked object is a completely different object then the Maxis' ones, but that all the textures must be "borrowed" from an original object. To do so, we have to add to the hacked object a modified Resource Node, that points to a modified Shape, that in turn points to a modified Geometry Node. The Geometry Node is the heart of this "linking" procedure: by means of the modified GMND the game will know that all the texture must be "borrowed" from the original object.
To do so, we will add a special block to the GMND, called tsMaterialsMeshName, that is actually a pointer to the original object.

This tutorial is based on a rather simple object, with a basic file structure (i.e. only 1 Geometry Node, 1 Shape and 1 Resource Node); some other objects may have a more complex structure, and therefore the information provided in this tutorial may be incomplete.

Example 1: the Crib
In this tutorial we'll take as an example the hacked "Reservable Crib" by Inge Jones and we'll "link" it to the original crib. You can download it from www.simlogical.info (all credits for the Reservable Crib go to its creator, Inge Jones).

1) Open Object Workshop and clone the original object ("The Kinder Kontainer"); you don't have to save it, just extract Resource Node (CRES), Shape (SHPE) and Geometry Node (GMND). You can now close the clone, without saving it, as you don't need it any more.

2) Open the hacked object and add all the three files. Change all the GroupID to 0xFFFFFFFF.

3) Delete all the Material Overrides (MMAT), as they will not be needed any more (Inge duplicated all the original MMATs for the crib, in order to make them available for her hacked crib, too; but they are non needed any more, because from now on the original MMATs will be used, instead).

4) Open the GMND (Geometry Node) and change the filename accordingly: substitute "cribCheap" with "cribReservable"; leave untouched the remaining part of the filename.

5) Now (still in the GMND) go to tab "Edit Blocks"; from the drop-down list choose "cDataListExtension" and click "Add". Go back to the "Content" tab and click on the sub-tab "cObjectGraphNode"; here, you have to change the filename again (substitute "cribCheap" with "cribReservable").

6) Still in this sub-tab, look at the right panel: there is a list of references, in numeric order (from 1 to 8). Click on the "Add" link in the lower-right part and a new line will appear. Select the new line; set the "Enabled" field to "1" and set the "Index" field with the new index (e.g., if the last line was no.8, the new index is "9").
Note: if you click "Commit" now, SimPE will show up an error, but don't worry and go on.

7) Still in the GMND, click on the drop-down list named "Blocklist" and choose the entry "tsDesignModeEnabled"; look in the "Items" field and take note of the subsets listed there: "bedding" and "frame"). Now open again the drop-down list and choose the last entry, that has no other name then "cDataListExtension". In the "Name" field write "tsMaterialsMeshName"; then open the drop-down list in the lower-right corner, and choose "String"; click on the "Add" link to add a String for each subset (in our case, click it twice).

8) Select the 1st added string and write the values in the rightmost fields: in the "Name" field put the name of the subset ("frame"), in the "String" fiels the name of the original CRES ("cribCheap"); repeat for the 2nd subset (Name = "bedding" and String = "cribCheap").

9) Finally, click "Assign Hash" and "Fix TGI" (and commit, as usual).

*** Coffee break: save the file, select again the GMND and double check that all the modification are still there...! ***

10) Copy the GMND filename, including the hash and the extension; open the Shape file, go to the "Items" tab and paste there the filename, substituting the original one.

11) Still in the SHPE, click "Assign hash" and "Fix TGI"; commit and save.

12) Open the Resource Node, go to "Reference" tab and click on the little black arrow near the "Settings" word. A listbox will appear. Select the Shape in that list and drag & drop into the white window on the main screen: the shape will be added to the reference window. Close the listbox. Delete the first of the two Shapes listed in the reference window, so that only the one you have added will remain.

13) Go back to the "Content" tab of the CRES file and click "Assign Hash" and "Fix TGI".

14) You're almost done. Opent the Text List 0x85 and substitute the CRES reference with the new one (e.g. from "cribCheap to cribReservable; no hash or extension is needed).

Commit, save and double check again everything...

Another example: the "Craftmeister's Pine Bed"

All the beds have 2 recolourable parts, just like the crib: the frame and the bedding.
The only difference between the crib and the beds is that the original beds already borrow the "bedding" texture from the "Colonial Ironwood Bed".
Therefore, we have to link the frame of the cloned bed to the original one, and link the bedding of the cloned bed to the Colonial double bed.

Obviously, the CRES names for the beds are different from the ones for the crib.
In the first example, we have renamed the crib CRES from "creabCheap" to "creabReservable".
In this case, instead, the CRES for the Craftmeister single bed is named "bedSingleCheap", and we have to rename it "bedSingleCheapReservable".
Moreover, we have to remember that the CRES for the Colonial double bed (the "master" object for the beddings) is "bedDoubleColonial".

Now, we can start with the tutorial.
Thee first 7 points described above are basicaly the same; just remember to use the different CRES names.
When you get to point 8 (where you actually "link" each subset to the original CRES), you have to add the following two Strings:
Name = frame - Value = bedSingleCheap
Name = bedding - Value = bedDoubleColonial

Then, follow the remaining points from 9 to 14 in the usual way, always minding the different CRES names.

Just a side note: if the cloned object is actually the Colonial double bed, it's easier: both the "Values" in point 8 must be set to "bedDoubleColonial".

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
2 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#2 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 10:50 PM
Applause applause. Well done.

As a note at the end of all this: PLEASE DO NOT clone objects just to apply a new color. If you are cloning an object it should always be to add some new function to it. There are a limited number of GUIDs. If we use them only for new objects or new fuctions, we should be fine. If we use a separate GUID for every recolor, on the other hand, we will run out.

RG
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#3 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 10:12 AM Last edited by Inge Jones : 19th Jan 2005 at 10:14 AM.
Obviously I now wish to update the Reservable Crib on my site in accordance with these instructions, but people will be looking for the non-updated crib to use with the tutorial. Therefore when I have done it I can make both the "before" and "after" cribs available for download at simlogical, clearly labeled. They will both have the same GUID.

Can anyone think of a reason this won't be ok?

Also, I have a tutorial at simlogical for the MMAT way of doing this and I would now also like to give a link to this thread for the alternative way. Is that alright?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
#4 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 10:15 AM
Inge, I think that's the most reasonable thing to do. Label them on the site and in any readme document... and hope people read
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 1:02 PM
Default err - request from a newbie
Tihs may well be in the wrong place. I have just got SimPE to work and would like to learn how to use it. All the tutorials on this site seem to be very advanced - is there a basic one anywhere? With words of one syllable and pictures? For instance I don't know how to clone? I'm sure it is perfectly obvious to all you experienced hackers but some of us ain't that clever.

....d'uh....
The ModFather
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 2:21 PM
Sita, in the "Tutorial" section of MTS2 there is all you might need.
Check this thread, for example; it's a sort of SimPE handbook, very useful.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Lab Assistant
#7 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 4:00 PM
Default Thanks!
Thank you, Numenor.
#8 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 5:10 PM
Numenor, please may I upload the objects you edited for me onto my site? It will be the quickest way for me to offer the upgrades to my users. I would of course credit you for your work - how would you prefer to be referred to? Any link you'd like me to include with the credit?
The ModFather
Original Poster
#9 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 5:35 PM
Of course you can upload those objects on your site! I'd never make you smell a good cake and then forbid you to eat it
If you want to credit me for my work, I'll appreciate it very much (even though it's not strictly needed). In this case, the only link I can give you it's my profile here on MTS2 (http://www.modthesims2.com/member.php?u=4407): all my threads, my posts, my work are accessible from there.

BTW, have you fully tested those objects? I couldn't find the time to do it, and I don't want you to post a door that would change colour every time a sim opens it...! :D
#10 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 5:44 PM
Many thanks, I am just off to do a thorough testing now, as well as enjoy myself building that glass-floored (thanks to RGiles) dance hall I have been promising myself
The ModFather
Original Poster
#11 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 6:05 PM
"Thorough"! That's the correct spelling! Oh, sometimes it's so difficult not to get confused with all these thorough, through, though, thought... And I'm talking about writing them; I can't even think at pronunce them! :D
#12 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 11:01 PM
Numenor, they all work great except the door. With your version the game crashes when I try to open the door section in build mode. I got a log file if you think it would be any good to you?
#13 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 11:34 PM
Moved to tutorials. Thank you, Numenor.

You know, "throughout" is another horrible one. But I think "thorough" is the worst. :D

RG
The ModFather
Original Poster
#14 Old 22nd Jan 2005 at 12:21 AM Last edited by numenor : 22nd Jan 2005 at 12:24 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inge Jones
Numenor, they all work great except the door. With your version the game crashes when I try to open the door section in build mode. I got a log file if you think it would be any good to you?

Yes Inge, please post it. In the meanwhile I'll take a look at the door.

RG: Thanks, this thread will be more visible in the Tutorial section.
And... shouldn't we also talk about the differences between Highland, island and Ireland?

#15 Old 22nd Jan 2005 at 9:36 AM
I tested twice to make sure, and this file contains both pairs of exception files

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
The ModFather
Original Poster
#16 Old 22nd Jan 2005 at 11:55 AM Last edited by numenor : 22nd Jan 2005 at 11:59 AM.
Inge, I'm having a lot of troubles with the doors...
The Beveled Glass door keeps crashing the game, and the other doors are not rendered correctly (the door is off-axis compared to the frame...), though they actually borrow the textures from the original door.
Must be something related to the fact that the doors have a "diagonal" position that is a different object, with its own GUID...
Let me work some more on them.

Do your hacked doors work even if in diagonal position?

EDIT: never mind, I've found the answer on your site. Maybe the "link" won't work unless there is a "hacked" diagonal version of the doors.
But I'm not giving up, yet
#17 Old 22nd Jan 2005 at 12:38 PM Last edited by Inge Jones : 22nd Jan 2005 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Added bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by numenor
Do your hacked doors work even if in diagonal position?

EDIT: never mind, I've found the answer on your site. Maybe the "link" won't work unless there is a "hacked" diagonal version of the doors.
But I'm not giving up, yet

I kept meaning to add the diagonals but kept putting it off (the users seemed to have accepted having all their locking doors on straight walls).

Much as it exhausts me just thinking about doing the diagonals, would you like me to try one so you can complete your tests?

Edit: I think the actual locking will be disrupted anyway even if I add the diagonal, as if the door changes to the other object the lock attributes will probably have to initialise, though at least it would still give users the choice of a diagonal as long as they don't move it between diagonal and straight

The ModFather
Original Poster
#18 Old 22nd Jan 2005 at 9:15 PM Last edited by numenor : 22nd Jan 2005 at 9:17 PM.
Well, Inge, seems that linking the doors is too a difficult job for me to do now... Maybe later on I'll gain the needed knowledge to complete the task, but for now I think it's out of reach, for me...
Sometimes, the best thing to do is to follow Socrate's motto: "I know that I don't know"

Anyway, the crib and the beds are a good result, so far. Do you need me to go on linking the other beds?
#19 Old 22nd Jan 2005 at 9:30 PM
Never mind the doors then, I appreciate you trying and in the meantime they are working ok with their extra MMATs.

About the beds, in some ways I'd love you to do them and in other ways I feel as though I should learn how to do them myself. I think I can manage to follow the tutorial for the normal cases, so could you point out to me where the bed was different and I can see if I will be able to do the other ones myself? It might be too hard for me but I ought to make the effort and try at least.
The ModFather
Original Poster
#20 Old 22nd Jan 2005 at 10:25 PM
Oh, you're right, the beds are different...!
OK, I'm going to update the tutorial.
I understand that you'd like to learn to do it by yourself, but please, if you find it's difficult for you to follow the tutorial, feel free to ask me to link the beds (and any new object you create in the meantime). OK?
The ModFather
Original Poster
#21 Old 22nd Jan 2005 at 11:18 PM
OK, I've added a second example to the tutorial, explaining how to link the beds (I've based my example on the cheap single bed).
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 23rd Jan 2005 at 10:25 AM
Quick question, Since a lot of players are having problems with expensive bed frames dissappearing, Would it be possiable to clone the ONE bedframe we do have then enable color packages off of the cloned bed frame?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't compare your life to others,
You have no idea what their journey is about.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The ModFather
Original Poster
#23 Old 23rd Jan 2005 at 3:40 PM
In other words, you are suggesting, in order to hide a stain on your trousers, to wear another pair of trousers on top of them?
I really don't know what prevent those frames to show up, but to tell the truth I don't like this kind of solutions...

Anyway, in theory, it may work, or may not...
If we clone the expensive bed and link it to the original one, the cloned bed should borrow the textures from the original one. So, a defective original colour may not show, even on the cloned bed. I really don't know...
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 23rd Jan 2005 at 4:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by numenor
In other words, you are suggesting, in order to hide a stain on your trousers, to wear another pair of trousers on top of them?
I really don't know what prevent those frames to show up, but to tell the truth I don't like this kind of solutions...

Anyway, in theory, it may work, or may not...
If we clone the expensive bed and link it to the original one, the cloned bed should borrow the textures from the original one. So, a defective original colour may not show, even on the cloned bed. I really don't know...

Sadly this is exactally what Im suggesting. No one seems to know why this dissappearing bug exist in game. Several people are plagued with it though which means any custom bed frams created can't be viewed or used by those people who have been effected by this bug. Maxis surely doesn't seem to be hard pressed to deal with the issue. One techie even told a user that SIMS2 didnt have multiple colors for expensive bed frames. Can you believe that?

This has been a problem since the game came out and hasn't been addressed on a serious level anywhere despite many users complaining and reporting it. I have both patches installed and neither of these solved the issue either.

I would like to be able to blame it on something I downloaded but long before I started downloading modded objects or recolors, All of a sudden just one day out of the clear blue the choices for bed frames vanished. The only thing selectable is bedding itself.
I was hoping that maybe if the frame part was cloned then all recolors could be applied to that, but as you mentioned its a borrowed file so most likely it wont work. Frustraiting for me and a lot of other people let me tell ya.

Thanks for replying Numenor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't compare your life to others,
You have no idea what their journey is about.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The ModFather
Original Poster
#25 Old 23rd Jan 2005 at 6:51 PM
Cozmicrain, I've got an idea. I can't test it by myself because I never experienced that problem, so I need your assistance.

Please, copy the attached package into your download folder (the "root" download folder, not a sub-folder) and tell me if the frames for the expensive bed appear again in the game.
Just to be sure, you are talking about the Colonial Ironwood Bed, right?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3