Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

MTS Movie Night #2 - posted on 10th Aug 2017 at 2:58 PM
Locked thread | Replies: 70 (Who?), Viewed: 40421 times. | Locked by: Numenor Reason: New tutorials: [url]http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=52499[/url] [url]http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=42014[/url]
Page 2 of 3
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 23rd Jan 2005 at 7:17 PM Last edited by cozmicrain : 23rd Jan 2005 at 7:20 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by numenor
Cozmicrain, I've got an idea. I can't test it by myself because I never experienced that problem, so I need your assistance.

Please, copy the attached package into your download folder (the "root" download folder, not a sub-folder) and tell me if the frames for the expensive bed appear again in the game.
Just to be sure, you are talking about the Colonial Ironwood Bed, right?

I did just what you said and it didn't fix it. And yes the Colonial Ironwood bed is the one I am missing. Here is the thing about that. The frames show up for the twin size just not the double size. And the other object people with the same bug I have is with the tulip lamps. Those however in my game at least come and go at random. Its very bizarre. Sometimes the bases are all there with no shades. Other times I just get one base and One yellow shade and other times I get all the shades and only one base. The double beds however are just gone as far as frames go.

I appreciate you taking time to help with this as there hasn't been any attempt from anyone from maxis so far to address this.

PS
Should I start another thread over this issue in hopes more people will help trouble shoot it? Its not my intent to hijack this thread. Thanks again for all your help

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't compare your life to others,
You have no idea what their journey is about.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The ModFather
staff: retired moderator
Original Poster
#27 Old 23rd Jan 2005 at 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmicrain
I did just what you said and it didn't fix it. And yes the Colonial Ironwood bed is the one I am missing. Here is the thing about that. The frames show up for the twin size just not the double size. And the other object people with the same bug I have is with the tulip lamps. Those however in my game at least come and go at random. Its very bizarre. Sometimes the bases are all there with no shades. Other times I just get one base and One yellow shade and other times I get all the shades and only one base. The double beds however are just gone as far as frames go.

I appreciate you taking time to help with this as there hasn't been any attempt from anyone from maxis so far to address this.

What a pity, I really hoped it would work...
It's a strange behaviour, though. the random way the lamp shades and bases come and go let me think that there is a conflict between different files; sometimes one overrides the other and sometimes it happens just the opposite.
If only I could know something more about how this game works...
Thank you anyway for the test, I'll ask again for your help if I "invent" some alternative solutions...
The ModFather
Original Poster
#28 Old 24th Jan 2005 at 12:24 AM Last edited by numenor : 24th Jan 2005 at 12:29 AM.
COZMICRAIN:

I "invented" something else
Actually, one of the solution I'm providing is the "linked clone" that you asked about in your first post. If anything else fails, let's see if these "second trousers", at least, will work!

In the attached zip there are three files; you should put them, one at time, in the download folder (again, in the "root" download folder, not subfolder), and then start the game and see if the Colonial double bed has all its 4 original frames and all its 18 original beddings.

Remember: put the files in the download folder one at time; please test all the three files before reporting.

Thank you very much for your help!

PS
I don't think this test is off-topic here. Actually, all my test packages rely on the GMND linking in order to make their "tricks"...

Anyway, if even these tests fail, *or* if you don't have the inclination to run them for me, I'll start another thread in order to gather more beta testers.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 24th Jan 2005 at 5:45 AM
Im off to test these files Numer.. I'll let you know shortly how it goes. Im going to put them in one at a time starting the game each time. That is what you meant correct? I'll let you know my results here shortly.
You are a saint for taking time out to help with this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 24th Jan 2005 at 6:07 AM Last edited by cozmicrain : 24th Jan 2005 at 7:47 AM. Reason: Update on testing all files
Quote:
Originally Posted by numenor
COZMICRAIN:

I "invented" something else
Actually, one of the solution I'm providing is the "linked clone" that you asked about in your first post. If anything else fails, let's see if these "second trousers", at least, will work!

In the attached zip there are three files; you should put them, one at time, in the download folder (again, in the "root" download folder, not subfolder), and then start the game and see if the Colonial double bed has all its 4 original frames and all its 18 original beddings.

Remember: put the files in the download folder one at time; please test all the three files before reporting.

Thank you very much for your help!

PS
I don't think this test is off-topic here. Actually, all my test packages rely on the GMND linking in order to make their "tricks"...

Anyway, if even these tests fail, *or* if you don't have the inclination to run them for me, I'll start another thread in order to gather more beta testers.

WOW! Success!! You are awsome. This is what happened.
I unzipped the files and the very first file I chose to insert in the download folder corrected my problem. The file that fixed it was. Numenor(MTS2)_ColonialDblBed_FixedClone.package

Loaded that file by itself into the game fired it up and badabing, I now have bed frames again.
Not only do I have the originals but it is also giveing me some custom ones that were in game.
Here's a screen shot as proof.
Again I only tested the one file as this worked to fix my problem. Would you like me to test the others as well or does this give you what you need to know? More then happen to help out anyway I can for everyone else too.

Heres the screen shot.

http://forums.modthesims2.com/attac...tid=19757&stc=1

arghhhhh! I just re read your post give me a sec off to test the other two files as well bare with me Sorry I just got excited over the first one working hahaha. BRB with an update.

EDIT

Ok here are the results. ALL files work independantly to correct the problem when placed in the Download folder. I haven't tested them together as I didn't think that would be relevant. I remember something said earlier about a limited number of "GUID" that can be applied to clone objects, hence the desire not to waiste them.

So . The cloned bed works how ever does give a second cloned bed option in the catalog.
The Fixed RCOL and the FIXED GMND package files also work with out cloning the bed.
I placed each of these files in the download folder and tested them singally, removing the last test file before testing the second. I imagine the fixed RCOL and the FIXED GMND is the way to go as to keep from cloning the bed.

Whats bizzare is the first file you sent me to try was a gmnd package file and that did nothing to fix it but this one works just fine.

Im elated I just have my bed frames back, but still I would like to know what and why and how they dissappeared to begin with. lol. And I think having mulitple people test them is a good idea to make absolutely sure that it works the same for everyone. Let me know if you need me to try anything else.

Great job and I can not thank you enough.
Screenshots

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The ModFather
Original Poster
#31 Old 24th Jan 2005 at 9:31 AM
Great! Thank you Cozmicrain for your help.
As you already know, I've started another thread in order to discuss the "missing frames" problem.

This thread will now revert to its original subject (linking the cloned GMND to the original ones).
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 26th Jan 2005 at 9:18 AM
Great Tutorial!
May I have a question please, when I browse the CRES file in plugin tab, there is no "Reference" tab, and no "Setting" button which I can link the CRES to SHPE? Am I cloned the object wrong? I cloned the object "Chair_Dining_ArtNouveau" with "Use RCOL" checked. Any way, I posted a beta test on this thread:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=40538
I can't fix the shadow, after read your tutorial, I guess that migh be something related with the RCOL chain, since you are the expert, so would you please give me a hint:DThanks
The ModFather
Original Poster
#33 Old 26th Jan 2005 at 9:50 PM
Sunair, I'm sorry to answer this late, but today MTS2 server has been down for quite a long time...
So, when you open the Resource Node (CRES) in plugin view you don't find the "Reference" tab? It's strange, I've tried and it's there (look at the picture)...

As for the shadow, I really don't know where is stored the information about it. The RCOL chain starts from the TextList 0x85 (that actually is *not* an RCOL file) and ends with LIFOs, going through CRES, SHPE (and LGHT, if any), GMND, GMDC, MATD and TXTR.

I knew that in the SHPE there is always one or more reference to "shadows"; this chair has a "groundshadow" mesh, but I checked the GMDC and I found out that this mesh is a simple square that lies under the chair: it's not the shadow shown in your picture you have posted.
So, I can't help you, I'm sorry. We'll put that chair on a dark floor!
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 26th Jan 2005 at 10:27 PM
numenor, thank you so much for your reply
My SimPE version is 0.1411851.3537, maybe this version do not support? see the attachment image.

Another question about the GMND, it seems whether I change the Items inside the wood (cDataListExtension) or not (the beta chair's), the three chair still show up in the game, is that mean the hashed GMND do not function?
Screenshots

Welcome to SunairSims

Recommended browser for the sims2 section of my site: IE (came with Windows XP), AOL 9.0 Optimized SE, last version of FireFox vs Flash and SunJava plugin.
The ModFather
Original Poster
#35 Old 26th Jan 2005 at 11:34 PM
The current version of SimPE is the 0.14g (internal number 0.14.1851.3537); seems that your copy is outdated. Download the latest one from http://sims.ambertation.de

As for the question about the GMND: are you asking me if putting the hash number in front of the file reference is needed or not? I think that the hash it's not needed. And you test proves that I'm right, since all the three colors show up in both cases (with hash and without hash).
So, don't put the hash there, since it's not necessary.
the same, I think, applies to the references into the SHPE ("Parts" tab).
As a rule of thumb, I use the hash only in the "Filename" fields, not in the references. This helps when the user wants to rename the package. But in special cases (e.g. the kitchen counters) the hash is needed.
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 27th Jan 2005 at 2:52 PM
My SimPE is the same version as yours, need I check any option setting in order to access that menu?

Thank you about the suggestion of filename hashing, it save me a lot of time to figure it out

May I have another question, do you have writen any other tutorial explain the ROCL chain in detail?
The ModFather
Original Poster
#37 Old 27th Jan 2005 at 3:23 PM
Oh, you're right; I was confused by that little typo in your version number (there's a "1" instead of a dot).
Nevertheless, your RCOL editor looks like the one I used to have a month ago...
Maibe there's something wrong with your installation. Try and delete completely the SimPE folder and all its subfolders (especially the "plugins" one), then reinstall it: sometimes, when the installation overwrites the previous one, there are some glitches.

I haven't written a tutorial specifically concerning the RCOL chain, but actually *this is* such a tutorial: I've explained how to alter all the filenames and all the internal references in order to build a brand new RCOL chain for the cloned object. Is there something in particular that you think I should explain better? Just ask!
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 27th Jan 2005 at 4:00 PM
That is very kind of you, sorry keep asking so many question
Thanks for your suggestion, I'll reinstall SimPE as your way. I'll keep asking you questions about the RCOL later, because I need thing about it first in order to ask more specific questions. Any way, go to the experts when you get question, am I right:D
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 29th Jan 2005 at 11:52 AM Last edited by WDS BriAnna : 29th Jan 2005 at 11:58 AM.
Huh. I get the "experimental" cres editor, too. Even after deleting and then installing the version from yesterday.

Edit: Fixed it. You have to go into the installed plugin list and UNCHECK cres wrapper - then the correct screen shows up.
The ModFather
Original Poster
#40 Old 29th Jan 2005 at 3:51 PM
WDS BriAnna, thanks for having pointed this out.
The CRES editor is, I think, an outdated plugin that is no longer needed, but can't be removed because it is embedded in the code. Now SimPE uses the "Generic RCOL editor" to edit the CRES files, as well.
I hadn't this problem because, for some reason, in my plugin list the RCOL plugin was in higher position then the CRES one, so the former overrided the latter.
Anyway, I'm going to uncheck the CRES plugin.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 29th Jan 2005 at 8:39 PM
Hmm. I'm having a different problem. I get the impression from your tutorial that I should have a name field in the edit blocks tab of the rcol editor.

I don't. I have a list in a white box, up and down buttons, a drop down, and add and delete buttons. I don't have a blocklist or items dropdown anywhere in the GMND either.

Here's some screenshots. Am I still getting the wrong rcol editor somehow or have I just lost my ability to read? I've deleted the simspe directory and reinstalled a few times now...

BriAnna
Screenshots
The ModFather
Original Poster
#42 Old 29th Jan 2005 at 10:11 PM Last edited by numenor : 29th Jan 2005 at 10:15 PM.
If you are referring to point 5 (second half), look at the first picture; for point 7, the second picture. If I've guessed wrong the point you are stuck with, tell me
Screenshots

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 29th Jan 2005 at 10:13 PM
Ah!! Thank you!!
The ModFather
Original Poster
#44 Old 29th Jan 2005 at 10:14 PM
Sorry! I meant "Point 5", not "point 4"!
I'm editing my previous post
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 8:19 AM
Me again.

The tutorial works great

However, it's specifically for hacked functions objects and what I'm trying to do is get my new meshed object to use the textures and material definitions from something else altogether.

It's an upper cabinet, cloned from a painting that needs to use the color options from the matching regular counter. It was working, with hardcoded textures, mmats and matds, but after following the tutorial it now gives me a lower cabinet [that attaches to walls of course] instead of my cupboard mesh.

I tried doing something like step 12 to the gmnd so it would reference MY gmdc instead of the lower cabinet's but at that point my game crashed when I loaded the lot the cupboard was on...

I'm going to keep working on it, but I thought that I'd mention it (and hope of course that you have ideas on this) in case anyone else didn't realize they were unreferencing their mesh by using these instructions.

Again, thanks SO MUCH for all your help and hard work!

BriAnna
The ModFather
Original Poster
#46 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 10:15 AM
Brianna, it seems to me that you are doing right... If you modified the GMCD, you *have* to change the reference into the GMND. If the game crashes, maybe you have made another mistake...
Have you changed the name of the GMDC as well? Have you assigned hash and fixed TGI for it?

Anyway, I'm writing another tutorial (more a "lesson" then a tutorial... ) specifically written for re-meshed objects.
Well, I haven't included the case of a new mesh that uses the same texture as the original, but if you can create a working package, you can then come back to this tutorial to "link" your object to the original.
I think that maybe today I'll finish my job; I'm going to post it in the General Modding.
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 7:32 PM Last edited by WDS BriAnna : 30th Jan 2005 at 8:27 PM.
I probably did make an error. It took a few minutes to figure out the gmnd-gmdc reference and in a few minutes in the middle of the night I can do a lot of damage -- I probably changed something else as well. I have my backup from before I started the tutorial on my desktop. I shall start over now that it's all daytime and everything.

Thanks also for the rcol chain writeup in general modding.

Edit: Crash, crash, crash. I did go to a new lot and then open the catalog. The original counter (not my painting or my cupboard mesh) shows in the thumbnail (even though the gmnd is referencing the new gmdc). It had been showing my new cupboard (and hardcoded texture) so it's not an outdated thumbnail. But when I click on it I crash. I'm going to start over again. I must be doing something stupid in there somewhere.
The ModFather
Original Poster
#48 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 9:41 PM
Brianna, this problem is very interesting, and I have to know if I'm missing a "rule" or if your new counter has something strange. Would you please post here your package? Maybe the last working one...
Have you followed Miche's tutorial when you built it? That tutorial is very good, but it's... let's say... "simplified"; the resulting objects can hardly be linked with other objects.
Since I'm going to create a tutorial that ideally will be "appended" to Miche's one, I need to know why your counter doesn't work.
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 10:42 PM Last edited by WDS BriAnna : 30th Jan 2005 at 11:32 PM.
This is my current working (hardcoded not linked) version. Miche's led to a working file but left out things I know should be linked based on what you've said.

This one works as well and I think it's linked properly, I just applied logic based on what I learned from this thread.

My process to this point:

1. clone painting [OW, all three checkmarks]
2. get guid [Object Data]
3. export obj and edit [gmdc, milkshape]
4. turn obj into a gmdc with miche and delphy's tool. [MTS2 MeshTool]
5. back in SimPE replace gmdc with new one. [gmdc]
6. gave gmdc unique name, hashed, fix tgi. [gmdc]
7. changed items 3, models, paintingsomethingorother to "counterfinish" (the model name) [gmdc]
8. renamed gmnd to match, fix tgi. [gmnd]
9. changed reference in gmnd to my gmdc (as the tgi had changed). [gmnd]
10. changed model in tsdesignmodeenabled to match "counterfinish" [gmnd]
11. changed filename in shape to match, fix tgi [shape]
12. put the name of my gmnd in items [shape]
13. put my subset name "counterfinish" and plan for matd name in parts [shape] (I tried putting the material defenition the counter uses here - but no dice. I'll try that again.)
14. change filename in cres to match (also in cobjectgraphnode), fix tgi [cres]
15. changed reference in cres to my shpe (as the tgi had changed). [cres]
16. changed object models names in text list.

(Then I just named the matd, mmat, and texture to match like I would for a recolor but I won't elaborate as those files are irrelevant to getting this particular problem solved)

Edit: I removed the attached file as it works now and people don't need to be downloading a broken version that will conflict with the final.
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 11:30 PM Last edited by WDS BriAnna : 31st Jan 2005 at 3:31 AM.
Yay!! I got it!

OK, to continue...

13b. (inserted) use matd listed in shape from the object you are borrowing textures [shape]

17. add a cDataListExtension called counterfinish to gmnd, with same things that are in the original (including the null?) [gmnd]

18. add tsMaterialsMeshName just like your tutorial says. [gmnd]

19. add ONE new datalist extension references to cobjectgraphnode just like your tutorial says. [gmnd]

My theory is that the crashing before (when I just followed the tutorial as written and changed the gmdc reference) was from the importing of a gmnd from the original counter -- it has a "countertop" cDataListExtension" and I don't have a part called countertop.

edit: added too many datalist extension references... only added one cdatalistextension so I only need one reference.
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3