Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Theme Seasons and Celebrations - posted on 1st Oct 2017 at 1:52 PM
Locked thread | Replies: 70 (Who?), Viewed: 40481 times. | Locked by: Numenor Reason: New tutorials: [url]http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=52499[/url] [url]http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=42014[/url]
Page 3 of 3
The ModFather
staff: retired moderator
Original Poster
#51 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 12:27 AM
Brianna, I'm glad that now it works and I think you are right about the crashe due to the missing "countertop" subset.

Still, I feel that I'm missing something. I have messed a little with the internal references between CRES and SHPE and I don't understand...
In your point 11, you change the SHPE name and fix tgi, then in point 15 you change the reference into the CRES to match the new TGI of the SHPE. OK, it should work, because it *has* to be this way.
Nevertheless, if I take a perfectly working package and perform only the points 11 and 15, the object becomes invisible in the game... There shouldn't be other references to be changed, the package should work just as before, but nothing. I definitely have to work on this some more.
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 12:30 AM
That is strange. I'll continue to investigate as well.
The ModFather
Original Poster
#53 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 12:41 AM
Will you post your new suspended cabinet?
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 12:45 AM
It's posted on my site, but it's a payfile. I can post it here as well, in beta, but people yelled at me last time. I'll go ahead, and if they yell I'll just ignore it.
The ModFather
Original Poster
#55 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 12:58 AM
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't remember that you run a site of your own. I don't want you to have trouble for this...
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 1:04 AM
It's www.welldressedsim.com hence the WDS. No trouble, just that people here don't like paysites using the beta forum for some reason.

So far everyone's being nice.
The ModFather
Original Poster
#57 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 1:39 AM
BriAnna, I've found out why my object disappeared. I don't know if it's a bad handling by SimPE or another oddity by Maxis, but anyway here it is.
In my original CRES, in the "reference" tab, there where two entries: the SHPE and the LGHT. I've added the new, correct entry (matching the new TGI of the SHPE) and I've deleted the old entry. So, the LHGT reference moved up to the top, and the SHPE reference was in second position.
But now the CRES couldn't connect correctly with the SHPE.
I reverted the CRES to the original state and started again; this time I manually modified the TGI values in the "Reference" tab, to match the new TGI of the SHPE, and now it works!
Again, I don't know if SimPE does something wrong when adding/deleting entries in the Reference tab, or simply the SHPE reference must be on top (some objects has multiple SHPEs and multiple LGHT and they don't seem to follow a specific order...).
Anyway, I've learned something new. This should apply to the "Reference" tab into the GMND, as well, though there should always be only one entry there.
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 3:33 AM
That's very interesting. I'll see if I find anything else that has more than one reference in the cres and what order they're in -- to see if shpe always has to be first.

Oh and I edited my instructions for linking. It's all right there -- added one cdatalistextension, added two cdatalistextension references. Silly me. Thanks for your help on that.
Texturing God
#59 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 3:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by numenor
Tutorial (sort of...): Colour options for Cloned Objects

If you have cloned an object (in order to hack it) and you'd like to have colour options for it you basically have two alternative ways:
1) you can enable colour option for the hacked object, just like I've done with the CEP; in this way the users will be able to create recolour packages that will apply only to your hacked object (and not to the original object).

Is the first method similar? Could you tell me the difference?

I really want to be able to recolor my own meshes without having them reste to the original texture.
Texturing God
#60 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 6:47 AM
Never mind my last post... I figured it out.
The ModFather
Original Poster
#61 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 11:52 AM Last edited by Numenor : 16th Feb 2005 at 2:28 PM.
Important notice: since new specifications for "EP-ready" packages were defined, this tutorial is to be considered OUTDATED.

(Anyway, if you follow this tutorial, the resulting package won't be strictly EP-ready, but nevertheless it will work fine with the EP).

For an up-to-date tutorial, please refer to the "Colour Options for EP-ready packages" thread.
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 8:56 AM
Hello

I've been asking some help for enabling colors on Inge's NoAutonomy fridge on the new thread but Numenor you kindly told me I had to refer to this tutorial.

Well, I tried ... lol . Obviously I am not good at it. First it seems that not all the modifications are still there after saving (point 9). I don't drink coffee so I hope that is not the reason ! lol.
Also I can't click on "assign hash" and "Fix TGI" if I stay on the "cDataListExtension" into the drop list (I went back to the first line).
I tried to go on to the last point but I don't find the "Text List 0x85" (point 14).

I know you are very busy and helpful but if you happen to drop by here one of these days, I would appreciate a little help if you have time ;-)
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#63 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 9:10 AM
Azureale, did you consider using the tutorial on my site for the alternative way of doing this? It's a method that requires you to update a file each time you want to enable a new colour for the object, but it's a lot easier to do

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 10:54 AM Last edited by Azureale : 16th Feb 2005 at 12:12 PM.
Inge, I feel ashamed now ... I didn't realize you had made a tutorial and as I had already asked you about this fridge on your forum I didn't want to bother you again.
I am going to have have a look on your site, thank you.
#65 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 11:14 AM
There's a link from where the reservable crib is described
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 12:20 PM Last edited by Azureale : 16th Feb 2005 at 12:23 PM.
I found it thank you. Will anything annoying happen if I change my mind and want to get rid of one of the recolored package file later on ? Maybe I will figure that out when I'll have read the tutorial througoutly ;-)
#67 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 1:09 PM
Well you just delete the new MMAT you made. If you left it in the package containing the recolour, it will be deleted when you delete that recolour. If you added the MMAT to the fridge package, then you'd need to reopen the fridge package and delete the MMAT from there.
The ModFather
Original Poster
#68 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 2:24 PM
Azureale, if you "adapt" the recolour package with Inge's tutorial, you have to know that deleting a recolour for the cloned objects (in the buy mode catalog) will delete the same recolour for the original object, too.
Therefore, the only way to get rid of a recolour is doing what Inge suggests above (deleting the additional MMAT from the recolour package).

Anyway, since I don't want you to be confused, let me state that *there is* a difference between this tutorial and the one by Inge: my tutorial "links" the cloned object to the original one (so that every new recolour made/downloaded for the original object is automatically available for the clone, too).
On the other hand, following Inge's tutorial you actually "extend" each single recolour to the cloned object; this "extension" must be made on each new recolour you make/download.

As for the problems you experienced following my tutorial, if after the point 9 you find that some modification are missing, probably you have forgotten to Commit sometimes. You should commit as frequently as possible (while modificating the GMND, committing may give error, but don't worry and continue your work).
And yes, you are right about the point 9: you have to select from the drop-down list the first entry, in order to Fix TGI and Assign hash.
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 8:44 PM Last edited by Azureale : 16th Feb 2005 at 10:44 PM. Reason: still no success but not giving up
Thank you for your help.
I am progressing (I think lol) and I am up to point 12.
But ... I do not have a "reference" tab for the "resource node". I have 4 tabs (general overview, packed file, uncompressed data, plugin view) and none has sub-tabs.
I can see a reference tab for both Geometric node and Shape though.

Does that mean I have been doing something wrong again ? Sorry for being so "slow".

Instead of "Generic Rcol Editor" (seen on CRES.jpg above) I have CRES (experimental) (3 items)

Edit : Hmmm I found something Brianna wrote about experimental CRES above :
"Huh. I get the "experimental" cres editor, too. Even after deleting and then installing the version from yesterday.
Edit: Fixed it. You have to go into the installed plugin list and UNCHECK cres wrapper - then the correct screen shows up."

I am going to try unchecking that plugin too and see if I can go further with the tutorial from then.

OK, after unchecking CRES wrapper the "reference" tab is back. I launched the game and saw "no pics" instead of the no-autonomy fridge pic :-/. After some sleep I'll do everything over again because now I really don't want to give up lol
The ModFather
Original Poster
#70 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 11:42 PM
Seems that you are on the right way to the goal!
If there is "No Pic", check the Shape: maybe there's something wrong with it.
Lab Assistant
#71 Old 17th Feb 2005 at 10:46 PM
One thing I am not sure about, when it says "copy the GMND filename, including the hash and the extension", do I have to include the "#" ? (or do I start from 0x...? ).

Concerning the Shape part, the place where I have to paste that complete GMND filename, is it in the "Filename:" box underneath the "Items" tab ? Or do I also have to do it above, under "Blocklist" ?

Thank you for your kind help.
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3