Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Feb 2010 at 2:46 AM
Default Create-a-sims tips?
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/...eenshot-182.jpg

Any tips for how to create such gorgeous sims? Like I have most of the components but my attempt usually end up as something really weird. xD
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 27th Feb 2010 at 2:55 AM
Well CC is important. And you have to know how to use it. Such as some lipsticks never look right unless you fine the right color combos.
What I do, is I go through every slider and move it and I just mess around until it looks somewhat desirable. Then I pop my sim in game, because they change, sometimes for the good.
When making celebs, I have the sims in windowed and then my photos right next to it so I can easily do what I need to.
When taking screen shots for them, remember to have good adequate and equal lighting on them.
Oh and CAST every piece of clothing!

Facebook! | Find more of my stuff at my blog! | Tumblr | Donate
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 27th Feb 2010 at 3:26 AM
Bear in mind the basic shape of Sims, these days - round and cartoony. Make sure you're aware of this when you go out to make a new one. The same sim done as close to the same way as possible in 2 and 3 will look relatively the same, but with definite differences. I remember sometime back reading a post (by Hysterical Paroxyism, if memory serves) that advocated an approach like taking randomizing and alternating sliders to one extreme or another. Pretty sims are surprisingly easy to make, once you get used to the fact that Sims 3 sims are pudding-y.

Advice I could give is start off by making small changes at a time and seeing how they pan out. Give yourself some practice learning how to sculpt the features and learning roughly what to expect from the sliders. That should help you get an idea of how to use them properly. It's darned easy to sculpt yourself into a corner with them, if you aren't careful.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 27th Feb 2010 at 11:24 AM Last edited by sfsix : 27th Feb 2010 at 11:56 AM.
heres some tricks i use.

- since you can zoom in only so far on sims, you can also grab a 4x scale multiplier and temporarily increase their head size. now you can see a really zoomed in picture of your sim while you work.

- remove hair before working on your sim. hair gets in the way when you are tweaking and you get a better perception of your sims face if you work on them in the nude.

-texture makes all the difference. try to find a skin that matches your sim's ethnicity type the best. (asian, caucasian, etc)

-never do outdoor screenshots, they throw you off

-dont work on your sim too long at once, take breaks to refresh your ability.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 27th Feb 2010 at 4:16 PM
Quote:
- remove hair before working on your sim. hair gets in the way when you are tweaking and you get a better perception of your sims face if you work on them in the nude.

This. One can't stress enough how important it is to strip down to as close to bare necessities as possible. It's like having a clean workspace in any project.

Also, one thing I find helpful is to put on different pieces of music. If I have a specific 'character' in mind, I'll fire up a playlist that would work for that theme, and go from there. When I'm just screwing around (in other words, quite often), I go for a random playlist on shuffle and let the music guide my moods.

This tends to turn out some... interesting sims, but easily prettified (or further scarred) to taste. A bit of a personal method, sure, but something to try.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 27th Feb 2010 at 5:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by traelia
Oh and CAST every piece of clothing!

This, definitely, but never ever use that horrendous selection of colors EAxis gives to you! You really need to learn how to use the color wheel yourself.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 27th Feb 2010 at 5:37 PM
I find a photo of a person who I think has a unique, interesting face and then use that as a guideline. I can't make my sims look like the person they are based on because it's hard and I'm rubbish at that, but I find that by at least attempting it, it helps makes the sims look more realistic and less cartoony and puddingy.

Also, get more facial sliders and a mod that increases the slider limit, because the ingame ones don't allow for much and then you are stuck with sims that all look exactly the same.
Test Subject
#8 Old 27th Feb 2010 at 6:11 PM
Just another quick tip.

If you are going to work on them in the nude, make sure your curtains are closed.
Test Subject
#9 Old 27th Feb 2010 at 11:12 PM
Try messing around with sliders you have never used before, and give them unique personalities as you make. You'll find that as you go along, there are some sliders you'll want to turn to make them match the personailty.

Nothing in the world is permanent, and we're foolish when we ask anything to last, but surely we're still more foolish not to take delight in it while we have it. If change is of the essence of existence one would have thought it only sensible to make it the premise of our philosophy
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 3:24 PM
I really appreciate all of your comments and have been implementing the suggestions that was made. My first 'hand-sculpted' sim was quite pretty in the work space but after she was in-game, the level of prettiness was toned way down, but nonetheless I am getting a feel of the tools given to me.

Thank you so much everyone!

The CC is really hard to work with though, the only thing I am struggling with.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 4:49 PM
It can take a bit to get used to. I would really, really, recommend taking the time to learn how to use the basic stuff comfortably before you do things like adding lots of other sliders and so on. Once you've picked up the basics and know how to make something that doesn't frighten you with those, you can start tacking on Custom Content and working with that. The temptation is to immediately pile up on new bling... which can turn awkward in a hurry.

Anyway, keep working at it - you'll soon find yourself learning how to do what you want with it.