Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 5 (Who?), Viewed: 2752 times.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Mar 2010 at 3:32 AM Last edited by Lavaster : 27th Mar 2010 at 9:53 PM.
Default DO NOT REPLY - How should I make my story longer?
Edit: Thank you to everyone who has answered! Please read my most recent comment on this. (It includes a quote, in case you somehow can't find it.) I do not need any new answers because those are not necessary anymore. Thanks again!
This is a common issue I have with writing stories... I end up wrapping the story up in only 30 pages.
Don't laugh at me!
There are many huge events, all that make one clear, exciting, unique, and gripping plot. But is there a way I can drag out my story without boring the reader... let alone, myself? And I don't want small events to happen that come-and-go and then the reader gets confused and complains that that part was random.
Any help?

ENTJ
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 27th Mar 2010 at 5:29 AM
Well, there 's nothing wrong with writing short storys, you are probably just writing storys the length of a novellette, and there is nothing wrong with that. But feel free to pm me some of your work, I'd love to read it and tell you if there is anything you could do!
~Tari

She wrote herself wings and flew away...
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Mar 2010 at 7:49 AM Last edited by Lavaster : 27th Mar 2010 at 9:51 PM.
Hmm... that's a good comment. I'll keep that in mind; I think I'll just write a novellette instead. [AN EDIT WAS MADE HERE IN ORDER TO PROTECT MY IDEA FROM BEING STOLEN. That's why you can't see my plot here.]
lol
I thought of it randomly while coming back home from meeting my father's goddaughter's new baby boy. I instantly typed down most of the plot on my iPod Touch.
Thanks... I think I have heard of novellettes before, I just didn't remember they existed. lol

ENTJ
Mad Poster
#4 Old 27th Mar 2010 at 8:00 AM
I suggest add some details, such as a generic conversation. Instead of character going to bowling for example, make them take a longer route and discuss some news or gossip. Don't fill your story with too much of those, because it might get boring.
Test Subject
#5 Old 27th Mar 2010 at 8:57 AM
Well, let me just say this...
I know a few great stories, which are two or three pages long. Let me demonstrate with this very short horror story:

The last person in the universe sat alone in his room. There was a knock at the door.

So, short stories are as good as long ones. Just keep on writing.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Mar 2010 at 9:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleTheArtist
I suggest add some details, such as a generic conversation. Instead of character going to bowling for example, make them take a longer route and discuss some news or gossip. Don't fill your story with too much of those, because it might get boring.

Yeah, I'm doing that... a LOT of dialogue, but I don't want to bore the reader with too much of it. But I am adding plenty of details.

And thanks to everyone who's contributed to answering my question! It really helped to understand I'm already on the right track; I just didn't realize it! Thanks again. :P

ENTJ

Section jump