Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th May 2010 at 3:18 AM
Default Does anyone else spend nearly as much time downloading/installing CC as playing TS3?
I'm just wondering if I'm unusual in that regard. I got home at 6pm today intending to play Sims, but decided to look through the rest of the Booty at PSMD. It is now 9:15 and I'm less than halfway through installing all the content I started downloading when I got home.
Sometimes I go absolutely crazy downloading hairstyles and clothing, maybe half of which I ever end up actually using. Sometimes I even get fits of excitement from downloading; I get sweaty and shaky and have trouble concentrating. (I have a nervous condition, it's not just Sims that does it to me and I'm not tweaking.)
I just feel kinda like a crazy cat lady of Sims. xD
Does anyone else go crazy over downloading like this?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 17th May 2010 at 4:03 AM
I CC-hunted way more for TS2 mainly because I joined the community about 2 years after the game was released so there was already a fair bit of CC out there. Plus the game is slightly more stable and I wouldn't get horrendous lag from just adding a few package files to my downloads folder (like I do in TS3).

I'm actually trying to keep my CC down for TS3, it's mainly hair, make up, clothes and patterns. But I completely understand what you mean. I did used to be like that with TS2. I had a massive clear out because I had loads of stuff I never used and didn't even like that much.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th May 2010 at 4:05 AM
Haha yeah, I'm dreading having to clean out my CC someday. I actually don't get a lot of lag from the CC -- yet. I just downloaded like 100 more packages, sooo I might now.

Incidentally, this process would go a loooooot faster if half of the things I downloaded weren't in Sims3Pack form.... I despise it... I know exactly where my custom content goes, and I could get it there three times faster without using the downloader.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 17th May 2010 at 4:42 AM
I think Delphie has a tool to extract the package files from the Sims3Packs, I haven't tried it because I don't download so much. But the next time I find something I want in Sims3Pack form I'll give it a go.

Most my downloads are hair and clothing, and then some objects that I think are really good. I try to avoid Sims3Pack's because they cause lag, normal package files seem fine. Mostly I download from this site, because the content here is quiet good quality, and you can read comments and such to see what the problems are if there are any, plus content here is package files. Even in TS2 most my downloads were recolours, and now that we don't need to download those separately, it's keeping my CC number quite low.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th May 2010 at 4:54 AM
Ani, thanks so much for the tip! I'm trying it out now. It's a real pain to click on all those Sims3Packs one by one, but I had no idea it made a difference to the game too.
It works great, really speeds up the process! Too bad I already installed half of the Sims3Packs and deleted them afterwards... /sigh Hopefully my game won't be too slow.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 17th May 2010 at 5:52 AM
I always convert any .Sims3Pack files I download to .package format before installing. Besides the Launcher being super slow to install the files, back when I was still using .Sims3Pack files, it messed up the Launcher to the point where if I went to the Installed Content tab, it would freeze, making it impossible to remove any content I no longer wanted.

Of course, now I think I have too much .package cc because my game is horribly slow now even after running Dashboard and Process Monitor I can't find anything specifically wrong. I spent several hours today trying to figure out what cc I could delete and I only ended up making a small dent. I wish we could delete cc from inside the game like we could in TS2. I go to MS3B at least 3 times a day and spend a good amount of time downloading. I need to be a little pickier from now on, I guess.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 17th May 2010 at 6:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by krazykikikat
It's a real pain to click on all those Sims3Packs one by one

You know if you put them in the Download folder in "my documents...." you can install them all at once.

It still won't make the installer any more better, and when you try to see all your installed content, it's still going to be tediously slow.

I think who ever coded the installer, must be the same idiot who coded the wardrobe in cas, the way it always re-loads everything in a mega slowness. It's really annoying and hope it will be fixed in later patches or eps.
Instructor
#8 Old 17th May 2010 at 8:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ani_
Even in TS2 most my downloads were recolours, and now that we don't need to download those separately, it's keeping my CC number quite low.

Ironically, the Sims 3 made me instal more CC. Back in the Sims 2, I always asked myself "Do I really need this, with all those recolours?" and many times the answer was "No". But now it's "Oh, what a beautiful vase, it might look even better in pink... Let's try it." So I download it and of course, it stays in the folder
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 17th May 2010 at 4:41 PM
I have an external additional hard drive that I save all the cc on. Then when I want to play an item, just download it. This lets me keep it for future if I decide to delete it from the game without losing it completely or dowloading from site again.
Yu do know that all cc can be deleted from the launcher from either inside or outside the game, right? Without going to the computer documents folder. How much do I have? Oh about 4 gb worth right now and counting. Besides when you make or download that new house, doesn't it need new stuff?
Really can there be too much stuff? No I say more stuff, more stuff, more st......................
Scholar
#10 Old 17th May 2010 at 5:13 PM
I spend three times more fixing Sims instead of playing it. D:
Instructor
#11 Old 17th May 2010 at 10:35 PM
I'm a CC Hunter, but more for Sims 2 stuff. Since I discovered CAW, I spend most of the time making new neighborhoods. And fixing them ...
My Sims 3 Package folder contains over 1000 files and today I saw a Tutorial from aikea_guinea about combining .package files. It's very useful and it seems, that my game is running fast again without lags.

Sometimes, I make some stuff for myself like beards or patterns. For every hour I play, I spent 3 hours for CC.
Test Subject
#12 Old 17th May 2010 at 10:52 PM
I had over 1 gig for my sims 2 before my external crashed and i've got about 450+ mod packages for TS3 which isn't bad since I don't get hair or clothing packages that often. ^^

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.
If you seek peace, prepare for war.
Typical
#13 Old 17th May 2010 at 10:52 PM
I don't download much at all, really. I *do* download most of F-P's cars. But then, I also create lots of things for perosnal use, so therefore I don't have much of a need to download alot.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 18th May 2010 at 3:48 AM
OMG I'm the same way! I thought I was just a freak, but its great to see that I'm not alone in this, lol. I spend most of my "sim playing time" actually just downloading CC. I'm addicted to it like I was farmville. I often check MTS to see if theirs anything new since the last time I looked. Its even bookmarked on my fastdial!
Test Subject
#15 Old 18th May 2010 at 4:20 AM
I dont download much becuase there isent much I want, I have all I need in sims except for a few real life cars that I want but im waiting they will come lol