Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 10 (Who?), Viewed: 6194 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th May 2010 at 1:31 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Is there a way to combine/merge package files?
I know there is in Sims 3, but I only have Sims 2.

I have THOUSANDS of downloads and I was wondering if there was a way to combine objects/mods/clothes/hair etc.

I REALLY NEED IT to speed up my game!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much in advance Reply ASAP please!

If you have any other ways to speed up my game (other than upgrading my computer and deleting CC), please tell me.

Thankies!
Advertisement
Née whiterider
staff: administrator
#2 Old 25th May 2010 at 3:07 AM
It won't speed your game up particularly... slow loading is due to size of files (i.e. how many gigabytes), not number of files. If your computer was so weak that the number of files made any real difference, you wouldn't be able to play TS2 at all.
Actual gameplay speed won't be affected at all.

Presumably you could merge TS2 package files in SimPE, but I don't know what kind of weird problems it might throw up.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
staff: administrator
#3 Old 25th May 2010 at 7:39 AM
Merging can cause problems in TS2 in some cases. I wouldn't recommend it. Paint your computer red to make it go faster.

Disclaimer: The above was a joke. Do not paint your computer red.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Site Helper
#4 Old 25th May 2010 at 4:03 PM
If you have more than one neighborhood you play, you can put CC that is only used in one neighborhood into a separate folder and only have it when you are playing that neighborhood. The rest of the time it sits somewhere else. In fact, you can have your other neighborhoods sit somewhere else. Notice the timestamp on them after you save a game? You weren't playing them, but they got accessed anyway.

And it is perfectly safe to delete Maxis neighborhoods that you don't plan to play.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *Come visit Custom Sims 3!*2013 Yearbook
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 4:32 AM
Default Woah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost sdoj
If you have more than one neighborhood you play, you can put CC that is only used in one neighborhood into a separate folder and only have it when you are playing that neighborhood. The rest of the time it sits somewhere else. In fact, you can have your other neighborhoods sit somewhere else. Notice the timestamp on them after you save a game? You weren't playing them, but they got accessed anyway.

And it is perfectly safe to delete Maxis neighborhoods that you don't plan to play.

How do you do this? Please tell me!
*shrugs*
staff: moderator
#6 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 4:52 AM
On the Main Menu or any Neighborhood select screen, click the icon for a neighborhood that you are not currently in. You should see a trash can icon.

ETA: You cannot delete a neighborhood you are currently in.

Another interesting tip is that you can rename neighborhoods by clicking in the little text box under the neighborhood icons.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 7:01 PM
not the deleting part, lol! The other part!
Site Helper
#8 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 8:47 PM
You probably have to do it manually. Keep a Downloads folder for each neighborhood somewhere on your disk. I keep mine in My Documents\EA Games; you should be fine as long as the folders aren't in My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2. Then, just move them in and out depending upon which neighborhood you intend to play.
Test Subject
#9 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 10:41 PM
I'll use the same topic to add my question... Is there a way to combine/merge package files to load my game faster?
i dont have a performance problem, is just about loading faster...
thanks in advance
transmogrified
staff: retired moderator
#10 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 11:46 PM
llv, please re-read posts 2 and 3.
Site Helper
#11 Old 16th Jun 2010 at 4:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmegel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost sdoj
How do you do this? Please tell me!
Here are two possible ways to separate out your neighborhoods with their corresponding custom content:

1) Use the AnyGameStarter to create a separate AnyGame, then move one neighborhood and its corresponding CC to the AnyGame folder. You just play either the AnyGame or the full game:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=250555

2) AncientHighway has created a BAT file which will swap between two separate directories:
http://www.ancienthighway.net/smf/index.php?topic=65.0

Section jump