Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 1:19 AM
Default What are geneticized skin tones?
I'm trying to dl some new skin tones...but I don't know what creators mean by geneticized...
Advertisement
transmogrified
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 1:30 AM Last edited by mangaroo : 6th Jun 2010 at 2:04 AM.
The 4 skins in your game have a "genetic" value assigned by EA: .10 Light .30 Medium .60 Medium Dark .90 Dark. These values work on a spectrum: if a Sim with light skin and a Sim with medium dark skin have a baby, the baby can inherit the light skin (.1), the medium skin (.3) or the medium dark skin (.6).

When you add a non-geneticized custom skintone to your game, its genetic value is 0 and it dominates geneticized skins. So if one Sim with a Maxis default or geneticized custom skin has a baby with a Sim with a non-geneticized custom skin, the baby will inherit the custom skin...and pass that skin down to any offspring it has, unless the other parent is also wearing a non-geneticized skin (then it's 50/50 as to which skin will be passed down).

Geneticized custom skins assign a genetic value in place of the 0, so they are not universally dominant. Instead, it will fall in the spectrum wherever the modder assigned it. These skins can be randomly inherited, as long as they fall on or between the values of the parents' skintones.
Instructor
#3 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 1:47 AM Last edited by aaries16 : 6th Jun 2010 at 4:36 AM.
So, I'm assuming that the value can be changed in SimPE. Where and how do you change that value. I have a dark dark skin for my sims and it has already caused a bit of a problem when it comes to the spectrum of skin colors that should be inherited, I'd like to make a permanent correction for that.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#4 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 2:02 AM
This tutorial should help: http://rikkulidea.livejournal.com/23079.html

(Though I've heard the Wardrobe Wrangler can also be used for this, I use SimPE.)