Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jun 2010 at 9:50 AM
Problem with meshing and/or mapping...i think
so, to start off with, i'm new to the whole object creating get up, but i'm stumped and could really use some help...

i am trying to make a tree with roots and i made a pretty nice model in MilkShape, i used UVMapper and that just makes no sense what-so-ever. somewhere in between MilkShape and UVMapper, it gets screwed up a lot! when i upload it into the game, it's like there are some faces missing in the roots and the parts that represent the leaves are missing huge chunks (i have redone the foliage part about a dozen times by now and it just doesn't seem to turn out right through the uv map).

Then comes to the texture mapping part...holy crap! no matter how i put it through, it always seems to come out crazy! it would be awesome if someone can tell me how i'm screwing this up... :P

i'll put in the .obj file of my project so far...i had branches that i ended up taking out because i couldn't get the uv map to work right. i've redone the boughs a bunch and still can't figure out how to get it right...

oh, to kind of explain that file...i wanted to make a series of objects, mostly set pieces (trees, plants, decorations, etc...) as backgrounds for fairytales & such (brought on by the movie 'The Brothers Grimm'). i wanted to start with a series of tall, silvery trees with roots that if 'planted' on a slop, roots will show out of the ground and stuff...i'll be willing to take on a partner for this project! lol, i have hand drawn renderings as bases for my projects.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  FairytaleTree.rar (15.4 KB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 10th Jun 2010 at 6:32 PM
Could you either attach the whole .package or at least some images of the problem. It's difficult to see anything out of the .obj file - except the total shape of your mesh.

Moune's Neighbourhood
If you need a cool place for your sims to chill out.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Jun 2010 at 10:54 PM
yeah, here you go...totally didn't even think to do that :P

i think that's the right one...
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Tree.rar (107.5 KB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Field Researcher
#4 Old 11th Jun 2010 at 9:14 AM
I think you might have attached the wrong .package file. This one is just a clone of the Maxis Japanese maple. No new mesh. No new texture. No new GUID.

Moune's Neighbourhood
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Jun 2010 at 1:18 PM
sorry, try this one...i kinda went crazy when it didn't work right and didn't 'clean up'
Attached files:
File Type: rar  FairytaleTreeNo1.rar (168.3 KB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Field Researcher
#6 Old 12th Jun 2010 at 9:23 AM
Just a couple of quick observations to start off with. I haven't looked at your package in game yet, but you can try these things for starters.

The GMDC - The 'bark' subset appears twice. They are the same shapewise, but I haven't checked if they are also mapped the same way. Try deleting one (while keeping a backup of your original .package) and see how that looks in game. Then delete the other and see if the result is the same.

The TXMT - The 'bark' txmt doesn't support transparancy. You should probably set 'stdMatAlphaTestEnabled' to 1 like in the other txmt's.

The TXTR - You have a corrupt texture map. The 'barkfir' texture must be imported again.

Hope that may help you.

Moune's Neighbourhood
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Jun 2010 at 12:03 AM
thanks! i'll give it a try