Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jun 2010 at 11:20 PM
Default Twinbrook: Impressions.
It's been almost two weeks since Ambitions came out. What are your impressions on Twinbrook? As far as families(I know there's a thread about it but it's just one thing), places, geography and what not. Did you like the fact that it is South inspired and all?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 14th Jun 2010 at 3:48 AM
The swamp and grungy thing are the main feature of Twinbrook!

I believe cyclonesue in TSR is the happiest person with Ambitions. :D

I expand the swamp by adding new lots with grungy theme. Including build lots with tents for WA for weird and spooky homeless people. The most difficult is the terrain is not flat. We can't move one lot build in the hill to another hilly place without altering the terrain shape.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 14th Jun 2010 at 4:11 AM
I dislike that many of the people have tattoos... I really like the fact that tattoos were added, but so many of the sims in Twinbrook just look bad with them! I didn't even notice that the town was southern inspired, though. That's pretty interesting.
Scholar
#4 Old 14th Jun 2010 at 4:27 AM
it's like living in the bayou all the houses are too far apart and it's full of glitches galore. i don't play it
Banned
#5 Old 14th Jun 2010 at 4:29 AM
What bothers me is that now we have editable lots, but so few areas to build on. Can't build on roads or non-routable terrain. But there is a lot of non-routable terrain.
Eminence Grise
#6 Old 14th Jun 2010 at 9:05 AM
I like Twinbrook Love the live oaks with Spanish moss, love the swampy areas, LOVE the fog. I also like squalor in the Sims (Mosquito Cove was my favorite lot in SV), though I have to admit that the monochrome thing gets me down... there's colorful squalor too, after all But that's for me to make over as I play along.

And I like the creepy, colorful inhabitants... it's like a moister version of Strangetown, where the people were interesting but the layout was bad.

The spacing of the houses in Twinbrook, like in the other hoods, is for performance reasons, I believe. The fewer lots the game has to render at once, the better it's gonna run.

The neo-classical style of the richer homes leaves me kind of cold though. Very boring and conventional architecture from my point of view. It's like they were just trying to show off the friezes and columns Still, the new rabbithole designs are nice, and overall I'm enjoying it.

After a while though I'm sure I'll be back to Pyronium's Neverglade, which I was just starting to get into when Ambitions came out Add the new lots and see how it runs. Has anybody else tried playing player-made hoods yet?
Scholar
#7 Old 14th Jun 2010 at 9:10 AM
Quote:
The fewer lots the game has to render at once, the better it's gonna run.

no probs for me with my gtx 295 and phenom II 965

every-time i download a player hood it's always empty and i'm too lazy to create a dozen sims to populate it so i just go back to sunset
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 14th Jun 2010 at 11:34 AM
I like the way it looks. It's dark and interesting. Some of the houses are surprisingly not that awful, considering EA made them.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 14th Jun 2010 at 3:01 PM
I dont know if it's just me but I think Twinbrook really lacks a middle class area. If I want to build European sized homes they really only fit in the poorer section of town. Makes me feel like I need to rearrange the town, and that is not my thing. I'd completely get rid of the really big homes uphill aswell, those just dont belong.

As for the townies, I barely notice them. It's another expansion and my Sims really wont go outdoors on their own much, and I dont get a whole lot of visitors either. So as far as the Twinbrook community goes, all I notice is the ones I get rep with because of work.

The new open community lots and workplaces are great in concept. There's just nothing to really motivate my Sims to go there, unless I purposely send them.

But then again I only had the time to start playing Ambitions a few days ago.
Banned
#10 Old 14th Jun 2010 at 3:25 PM
I like Twinbrook a lot. It's a nice change from the always-happy and sunny Sunset Valley.
Theorist
#11 Old 14th Jun 2010 at 3:39 PM
I don't really like Twinbrook that much compared to SV or RV for multiple reasons
- The sims frankly are all just awful, I mean I'm okay with some freaky sims but the entire town is just so ugly!
- Like it was said there really isn't much of a middle class
- What's with all the fake stories!! It's really annoying how so many lots don't use all the space, either fill it up or make it an appropriate size!!

I like some of the houses though and I like the Ratchets. One thing that I've been wondering about though is why all of the mansions have an industrial style basement? Like with communal toilets, a full kitchen and long tables? My impression was some sort of homage to the underground railroad.

Hi I'm Paul!
Forum Resident
#12 Old 14th Jun 2010 at 4:08 PM
I couldn't personally get along with Twinbrook when I tried it. Being a brit, nothing really fit my style lot-wise, and placing my style of homes in the hood would look stupidly out of place. I also disliked how widely spread the place seemed.

As previously mentioned, it's also quite stupid how we've got the new world editor tool, and yet very few places to actually plop a lot down! When I tried, most of the roads just weren't on the straight axis for the lot to click to. I realise you can place lots away from the road, but I would only want to do this with maybe the odd special house, not every lot I wanted to place.
Theorist
#13 Old 14th Jun 2010 at 4:25 PM
That just reminded me how annoying that they didn't even bother to line lots up with the road correctly....

Hi I'm Paul!
Banned
#14 Old 14th Jun 2010 at 4:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Has anybody else tried playing player-made hoods yet?

I was playing with Eddem's Paris for a while. I did not particularly like having Paris on an Island, and it does not have the look or feel of a major European city. But still, I enjoyed it for what it is. (My millionaire sim lives there, and in a nice house which he bought from his earnings -- no free real estate or motherlode cheats for him!) And there are a number of nice French maisons available for download.

As far as the homes in Twinbrook, they really do not seem out of place for the deep South. It is an ideal opportunity to make homes like those you see in Savannah, GA (one of the prettiest towns in the U.S.) or Charleston S.C. Gee, even a "French Quarter" would not be out of place -- and a French style cemetery would be keepin with the Cajun style. (And what do you know? EA has a building set for French Quarter style buildings!)
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 14th Jun 2010 at 4:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Robodl95
- The sims frankly are all just awful, I mean I'm okay with some freaky sims but the entire town is just so ugly! ....

Agree. It's difficult to find breed-able sims in Twinbook. Below is an example.

Scholar
#16 Old 14th Jun 2010 at 5:52 PM
The Town ain't bad...like many others i barely notice the new Sim.....for me its just taken awhile to get use to where everythings located....Took me 10 min to find the
Science Facility....and learning where to find Free Fruit...the gems, bugs and other stuff...
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 14th Jun 2010 at 5:57 PM
That reminds me, I'm really bummed out by the gem collection especially in correlation to the inventor profession. The digger somewhat alleviates it, but to work up to the heart cut (required for the Simbot) I had to have my Sim run all over Twinbrook collecting gems. Did. Not. Enjoy.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 14th Jun 2010 at 6:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by clsin
Agree. It's difficult to find breed-able sims in Twinbook. Below is an example.

Eva Drudge!

Yes though, it is hard to find sims that look, normal at least. They all look like they've been exposed to radiation and become mutated.

I wonder how much time EA poured down when working on these sims.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 14th Jun 2010 at 6:39 PM
I really like the town and find that I stick to the Bayless' house because it's in the boonies. But then, they are the only family I have played so far.

My favorite thing about Twinbrook, I'd say, is the color of the water. I don't know if it's meant to be white and murky looking, or if that's just my computer having a heart attack, but I really love it. And the fog that lurks throughout the day is a big bonus for me. It adds dimension to the world and gives it character.
Inventor
#20 Old 14th Jun 2010 at 7:29 PM
I'm not sure but I noticed my water changed before I got Ambitions. But I had downloaded the most recent update before getting it, that's when I noticed the water looked kind of cloudy even in Riverview and Sunset Valley.

But of the 3 I think I like Twinbrook the best. I really like all those houses in the area that Amy Bull lives. I've got one of my Sims living in one of the houses near the swamp. Well this one I placed myself. I used the swampy house that's in the bin and placed it.

The Simmer formerly known as Greenlea
Forum Resident
#21 Old 18th Jun 2010 at 10:47 PM
All the fugly Sims make mine look even better.
Inventor
#22 Old 19th Jun 2010 at 1:22 AM
hehe that's a good way to look at it.

The Simmer formerly known as Greenlea
Forum Resident
#23 Old 19th Jun 2010 at 1:27 AM
It would be better if the school worked other than that I like it.
Test Subject
#24 Old 19th Jun 2010 at 4:39 AM
All of the Sims are hideous, I'm a bit too shallow for that not to be a problem.

Well I don't think its cause I'm so shallow, they really just look like mutants. They don't look like imitations of real people.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 19th Jun 2010 at 5:00 AM
I was impressed with Twinbrooks when I first saw the pics. But then when I actually went there, I didn't like the layout of the town at all. And in addition I don't like hot and damp places. I did however steal most of their community lots as well as the riddle woman to put in my custom hood. What comes to the creatures called sims in Twinbrook. I actually like their ugliness, but I'm too attached to my custom hood and my custom sims to start caring about so many EA made sims.

When it comes to comparing the towns. I never liked sunset valley, I started playing riverview the moment I got the game. Compared to those two, Twinbrooks is by far the best town.
Page 1 of 2