Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jun 2010 at 5:44 PM
Default News travels fast
What's the oddest kind of gossip you've seen between two sims (you know, when you see pictures in their speech bubbles relating to another person)?

I had one sim last night who was gossiping to someone he'd just brought home from work. The subject of sniggering was his niece (whom he saw recently at the local allotments - they both have the nature interest, but they don't know each other that well). I saw in his speech bubbles the image of her face, followed by a tombstone, followed by the face of Bigfoot (I'd added Bigfoot-in-a box to the girl's family a while back but decided to have him killed off - and her family witnessed it). I just thought it was uncanny how the game memorised such an event and had a completely different sim outside the family talk about it.

So what kind of chitter chatter have you seen between sims that made you think... "wow!"?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 27th Jun 2010 at 8:15 PM
I wish I saw more meaningful gossip. They could say stuff like "did you hear that Jack had twins with his wife's cousin?" or "I heard that Katrina's daughter got taken away and she had a mental breakdown." But no, their gossip is like "Jessica burned the pancakes" or "That guy down the street's grandfather died."
Field Researcher
#3 Old 27th Jun 2010 at 8:40 PM
"Did you hear about Frederico? He's best friends with his daughter!"

Yeah. Alert the National Enquirer.
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#4 Old 27th Jun 2010 at 9:16 PM
"Hello, my spouse! It turns out that we don't really know anyone because we're the first inhabitants here. So, um, did you hear that no one in particular wet themselves? It was hilarious! Don't tell the non-existent person involved that we're gossiping about them. In fact, don't tell anyone we're gossiping about no one in particular."

All their speech bubbles had was the icon of a red toilet with the red "X" over it. So, in general people wet themselves, but you didn't hear that from me! It'll be our little secret.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Scholar
#5 Old 28th Jun 2010 at 3:14 AM
Some of the gossip is pretty routine I get so and so burned dinner a lot. Although I also catch them gossiping about public woo-hoo's on occasion. One would think that would be a subject more prone to gossip than who can't cook.

Although I sometimes see them talking about a specific Sim but no other image appears afterwards. They just sort of do that hand wag back and forth and giggle. I always wonder what they're saying about them when I notice that.

Jodemillo: I know you use the lotdebugger just an FYI under the memory function there is an option to clear gossip. If you find your Sims are gossiping about events from too long ago you just clear it out and they get to start fresh. Does not wipe memories just the gossip and that is separate.

Literally every minor detail that happens gets stored in gossip and some of it they never gossip about in the first place.
Inventor
Original Poster
#6 Old 28th Jun 2010 at 4:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Clashfan
Jodemillo: I know you use the lotdebugger just an FYI under the memory function there is an option to clear gossip.

Oh I know that Clashfan, it's actually the main thing I use the debugger for - clearing out their old and boring gossip. It's amazing how many items it can get rid of.

I quite like seeing new gossip though! hehe
Mad Poster
#7 Old 28th Jun 2010 at 4:36 AM
It always made me laugh when people gossiped about dad people. Your mom just died and 10 minutes later you are gossiping about her death. No respect for the dead I would say.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 28th Jun 2010 at 7:56 AM
I saw the weirdest thing 2 of my sims were gossiping when I saw the baby dummy sign and then jake's (husband of an other sim) picture with a cross through it. Were they saying Jake isn't the father of Arlena's baby, or maybe Jake doesn't want kids or cant have them? Or possibly my favourite since Jake and Arlena had an unsuccesful try for baby interaction perhaps they were saying he couldn't rise to the occassion? I loathe gossip in real life but I love it in my simmies unless of course they're talking about burning dinner. Some sims can be downright vindictive gossiping about enemies, wanting to see their enemies ghosts and what not.
Inventor
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Jun 2010 at 2:19 PM
I sometimes find it interesting watching speech bubbles between, say, a couple in a relationship while they're playing chess. With one couple the wife was heavily pregnant and I saw images like the dummy (pacifier), followed by lots of pictures of toys (probably thinking of what toys to get it) before it went onto mundane things like the weather. What they talk about also reminds me of their particular interests.

Always makes me smile when you see a bunch of guys playing pool or something and you see lots of woohoo and public woohoo purple hearts in their speech bubbles. Not much different to real life eh? (probably not so much the public woohoo though!)
Scholar
#10 Old 28th Jun 2010 at 2:26 PM
Some Romance sim of mine got married to Sandy Fairchild and had a kid. When the kid brought his "girlfriend" home from school, he talked to her about the "Woohoo" purple hearts.

I wish the sims would actually gossip about woohooing and not just talk about the concept of it. I mean, "The cafeteria lady burnt toast"? Really? Is that the best you can gossip about? I got that way too much before I found out about hacks and, more specifically the Lot Debugger.

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
- Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
tumblr
Inventor
#11 Old 28th Jun 2010 at 2:55 PM
Gossip in the game cracks me up. Recently, I had a teenager "run away" from home to live on her own and as she was a romance sim she quickly found a romance. So, then I went back to play her family's house and her Dad was gossiping to her Mother when the girl's face came up and then the purple woohoo heart. I Died.

Reminds me when I started playing, I had a romance sim who became a single mom. She tried very hard to only have lovers over when the kid wasn't at home but that got to be difficult when her job schedule changed so she invited a man for the night and then kicked him out really early before the kid got up. At breakfast, the child is talking to her mother when the man's face appears in her bubble and then the purple woohoo heart. Then mom also got the woohoo heart in her thought bubble. Little sex education with your pancakes, darling?

kittens!
Test Subject
#12 Old 28th Jun 2010 at 8:45 PM
Quote:
...dummy (pacifier),..

Thanks, that was really confusing. I assume that's a British term? I live in the US and I've never heard a pacifier called a dummy. I thought people were insulting their babies!

We're all mad here.
-The Cheshire Cat
Scholar
#13 Old 28th Jun 2010 at 10:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HikariOkami
I assume that's a British term? I live in the US and I've never heard a pacifier called a dummy. I thought people were insulting their babies!

Yes, "dummy" is the British term for a pacifier, although the official title used by companies is "soother". As a Brit myself I'm often "translating" British phrases into their American equivalents like Jodemilo did above so that people from the US understand what I'm saying!

As for Sim gossip, I don't see much exciting stuff - it's usually "such-and-such got promoted" or "him-up-the-road had an accident". I'm always clearing out using the FFS Debugger - sometimes it's scary to see just how much gets removed!

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Inventor
Original Poster
#14 Old 28th Jun 2010 at 10:59 PM
Thanks, that was really confusing. I assume that's a British term? I live in the US and I've never heard a pacifier called a dummy. I thought people were insulting their babies!

lol. Yes, I put the American equivalent in as an afterthought as I'm British and we have different names for things (eg, "lorry" for "truck", "boot" for "trunk" (as in the back of a car), "nappy" for "diaper", "motorway" for "freeway" etc etc!

I love the differences between American and British terms actually.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#15 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 12:12 AM
I do not know why this happen but you would think sims would want to keep some things a bit private, my sims have a very bad habit of talking to other sims about their first "Woohoo" they do it in person and over the phone. I even once had a sim "child" ask and tell their parents about "Woohoo" and the parents and also the nanny began to talk about it to the child as well.

Why I do not know I think the child is a bit to young to be told about that part of life. When I was a small child and once I ask my mum where babies come from she just told me from the hospital, maybe the sims are telling the kids that as well, or maybe they are telling the kids about the birds and the bees. As a very small child myself for years I believe that where babies come from. But my sims seem to enjoy telling others sims they have had a woohoo. They also gossip about fights and breakup in the hood.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Inventor
Original Poster
#16 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 2:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
When I was a small child and once I ask my mum where babies come from she just told me from the hospital

Awww. I won't tell you what my mother said to me when I asked where babies came from. Oh ok I will. She was really vague and said something like "a bit of daddy's willy goes into mummy's tummy". For years I had visions of my poor dad having to chop a tiny bit of his tackle off and my mum eating it. Ewwww!!

But that's NOTHING compared to when we were finally taught at school (I was about 11/12 years old) how babies are REALLY produced. I walked around in a daze for weeks afterwards thinking: "I'm NEVER going to let a boy do that to me!" Funny how things change eh? hehe
Meet Me In My Next Life
#17 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 6:38 AM Last edited by Simonut : 29th Jun 2010 at 6:48 AM.
LMAO hahahaha "jodemilo" what you have said is all so very funny, my mum had 9 children 8 boys and I am the only girl, and each time she would come from the hospital with a baby I would always think. Like oh goodness she got another baby from the hospital. I truly believe that for a very long time as a small child. The sims are funny when they Gossip about such things, I guess there kids are told everything come from "StrangeTown." Oh and when I ask my mum why her stomach was so big she would just tell me it because my stomach is growing. lol

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Inventor
Original Poster
#18 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 7:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
my mum had 9 children 8 boys and I am the only girl

Woweee! I bet you feel special. I guess you didn't have to worry about "hand me downs" either!
Instructor
#19 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 8:35 AM

Well, I'm in good ol' Australia (-puts on bad southern Aus. accent- G'day mates! Put some shrimp on the barbie? -shudder-) and we call the pacifiers dummies as well, though I suppose that's just us showing our English roots.
Forum Resident
#20 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 10:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jodemilo
Awww. I won't tell you what my mother said to me when I asked where babies came from. Oh ok I will. She was really vague and said something like "a bit of daddy's willy goes into mummy's tummy". For years I had visions of my poor dad having to chop a tiny bit of his tackle off and my mum eating it. Ewwww!!

Can't. Stop. Laughing.

One day I noticed that my romance-sim was gossiping with her daughter about how her fiance (mom's) got turned down from making out with a random townie. Both of them are romance sims, and it was kind of funny that when the male was trying to woo a townie, she didn't even freak out while being at home at the time! But after that she laughed about it with her daughter.

MaraLetsPlay on Youtube - Sims Let's Plays and Livestreams
Mara @ LJ - Downloads and stories
TS2 Patch and Pre-made Sim Archive | TS2 Townie/NPC Archive | TS3 Pre-made Sim Archive
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 10:21 AM
One of my Uni students rolls often the want to talk on the phone with one of his friends. And when he does, he always talks about the same subject: his Uncle's boyfriend! He farts hearts when talking about the boyfriend and apparently hates his Uncle, for the big "X" over Uncle's icon can't be a coincidence! The guy is obssessed: this has been happening since his first semester at College... and he is about to graduate.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 1:56 PM
The only WooHoo talk I found a tiny bit disturbing was when parents would teach their toddlers to talk, with WooHoo as the suject.
Inventor
#23 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 2:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nalia
One of my Uni students rolls often the want to talk on the phone with one of his friends. And when he does, he always talks about the same subject: his Uncle's boyfriend! He farts hearts when talking about the boyfriend and apparently hates his Uncle, for the big "X" over Uncle's icon can't be a coincidence! The guy is obssessed: this has been happening since his first semester at College... and he is about to graduate.

Sounds like the start of a fantastic story

kittens!
Instructor
#24 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 2:55 PM
I find it hysterical when my sims start to gossip about their pets if nothing else gossip-worthy has happened in the neighborhood. Seriously...what do they have the say about their pets? "Pst...Susie...you'll never guess what I heard. Fifi totally played fetch with Lauren's husband...all night." I mean what the heck? Lol.

"Somtimes the stars align." ~Dean Lowry, ABC's Pan Am. ♥ ⚓ ♥
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 4:22 PM
At my spare's house, he was inviting his family over for a birthday party for one of his children. His sister didn't show up, it was after 7 and I know she works at 6, but his wife invited her over as well and they don't have a good enough relationship yet. My spare's wife rolls a want to talk to his mother (the founder) and they end up gossiping about his sister. It's as if his wife was wondering where his sister is because she isn't at the party.

Page 1 of 2