Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 12:48 AM
Default Help Please! "Err: Too many joints defined in file."
I am having a problem and could really use some help. I managed to successfully make it all the way to step #97 of Tiggerypum's tut: Unimesh/Milkshape Level 3, Combining Mesh Parts, and upon re-importing my mesh I get an "ERR: Too many joints defined in file." message. And it will not load in my project. :/ So, now I'm stumped! I've gone back a couple times to my last save and readjusted the fat and preg morphs (I used the adult dress instead of teen). But that is really time comsuming!!! But every time I try to re-import, I get this same message?!? I don't think it matters, but I also used Al's shoes instead of Maxis. But like I said, the normal body works just fine! It's these goofy morphs!

Oh, another question falls all the way back to step #30! The smoothing of the mesh. I have Milkshape 1.8.5 Beta1, and I can't find the 'align normals' command, and the 'weld together' isn't doing anything for me, I still have that seam on her leg! What can I do?

I want to give you a GREAT BIG THANK YOU!!!! Tiggerypum for this wonderful tut! :D

Also, to Hysterical Paroxysm, who got me thru the 1st 2 tuts! Thank you!

Whatever you do, do it ALL for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31
My mission: To fill the gaps!
Join me on my new Discord channel!
Snag my creations from my LiveJournal!
Advertisement
Not actually evil.
#2 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 6:37 AM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 29th Jun 2010 at 8:18 PM.
too many joints
Did you accidentally import a 2nd skeleton? Look in the joints tab. Look at the joint names. How many auskel's do you see? There should only be one.
If you have two skeletons, go back to a previous version of your mesh where you only have one. (You are making backup versions, yes?)

align normals
This is a plugin by demon, I think, available on MTS, in the body shop, meshing, tools section of the TS2 create forum.
Lots of great plugins there. I also recommend extended manual edit. And my plugins.
You have all of wes_h's, right?

weld
Do not weld. Welding can bork things. Use various "merge **** data" plugins instead.

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 10:01 AM
OHHH!!! Thank you sooo much, Cat!!! I didn't know there were additional plugins, other than Wes'! I found them and added them and "healed" my leg!!! :D

Now, this joint thing...this is all new to me, so if you could explain a little more indepth for me, I would greatly appreciate it! Yes, I found 2 of these auskel things, what are they? And how do I need to fix it? I am so excited about this mesh, and I don't want to trash it! For my learning 'experiment', I figured out how to use Warlokk's CPU mesh of the summerdress and I've added a pair of Al's shoes to it. I'm sure it's probably been done somewhere else, but I think it's turned out really cute! The normal body shape imported/exported just fine, but I've spent the past 2.5 days working on the morphs, getting them just right - and now I can't use it! Will I have to go back and reshape them all over again?!?

Mad Poster
#4 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 7:33 PM
I think that you may be able to fix your mesh.

Import the original, unedited mesh that you used as a base (include all of its morphs, too). Now import your edited mesh and all of its morphs. When MilkShape asks whether or not to include additional bone definitions, say "NO". Then delete the original, unedited mesh and all of its morphs. That should leave you with your three edited morphs (normal, fat, and pregnant) and just one skeleton.
Not actually evil.
#5 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 8:24 PM
Yes, do what fakepeeps7 said, why did I not think of that? fp7 for the win!

Bones and joints are part of a skeleton. A clothing mesh skeleton is a bit like a human skeleton in appearance. Sim animations (walk, sit, kiss, dance) make the skeleton move. A mesh has bone weights that tell it how it is attached to the skeleton. A mesh vertex with a weight of 100% right thigh will move along with the right thigh bone.

A mesh should only have one skeleton. Accidentally importing another skeleton breaks the mesh.

A mesh should have an age appropriate skeleton. The skeleton with an "auskel" in it is for adults, young adults, and elders. When making teen, child, or toddler meshes, you need a tuskel, cuskel, or puskel skeleton. Important to remember if you do age conversions. Start with a mesh of the appropriate age group, so you get the correct age skeleton. Then do not import any more skeletons.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 10:40 PM
Ohhhh!!! GREAT!!!
Thank you soooo much Fakepeeps7 and Cat! This sounds so easy! I'll give it a try....

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 10:53 PM
Welllll....
I went all the way back to my beginning mesh and imported that, no problem.... but when I tried to bring in the last save of my edited mesh, I got this joint error message again! and it won't let me bring it in. :/ Soooo? I can't import it, but I can still bring it in by opening the saved data, will that work?

I found I can't import anything after the 4th export/saved data. And my final is all the way up to 10! A lot of wasted work/time!!! So, now what? Any more good ideas? I found 2 auskels starting in save 5! Guess I need to trace my steps and figure why/what I did....

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 11:13 PM
Well, I think I just found why I went wrong...in Tiggerypum's tut, step #77 she says, “Do you want to exclude additional bone definitions?” and my pop-up says " do you want to INCLUDE..." I clicked OK 'cause that's what she said to do, resulting in this mess! So, I guess now, I get to do all this tweaking of the morphs again. Unless you can tell me something better!

Thank you both for all your help! <kisses> <hugs>

Not actually evil.
#9 Old 30th Jun 2010 at 12:07 AM
Aw, jbeach, sorry if you have to redo a bunch of work. All because of a small change in wording on a pop-up. It will be worth it though. I've had lots of projects that took forever and made me pull out my hair. All were pretty satisfying once they were actually done.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 30th Jun 2010 at 8:40 AM Last edited by jbeach34 : 30th Jun 2010 at 8:41 PM.
YEAH!!!
It works!!!!! At least in Bodyshop!!! Heading into the game to check it out!
Thank you Cat sooo very much for all your help!!! You're a dear!
And thank you too Fakepeeps7!

Edit:
Went into the game and found a pregnant simmie: AND IT WORKS GREAT!!!! YEAH!!!!

Again, thank you sooooo much!!! :lovestruc